Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I've tried playing Chrono Trigger a few times now and I dislike it as much as I dislike all JRPGs.

e: I like the music though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

I liked FF12. I enjoyed setting up my gambits in such a way that I could go make a sandwich while my party did the fight for me. That's not really the spirit of the game, I know, but it was neat. Also the story was pretty interesting and it was a crazy good looking game for the PS2.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

fridge corn posted:

Chrono Trigger being anime or not is completely irrelevant because any fondness for it is completely nostalgic at this point

My superhuman ability of "not having grown up with a game console" and then playing Chrono Trigger DS last year allows me to say that it's a great game and people are right to be fond of it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh hell yeah got the Shiny Platinum Yoshi and beat the boss tent. Now just to grab one last flower I missed in Star-S and then...soon....Nier.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Chrono Trigger is good and Robo did a swell job with that forest.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Serf posted:

I liked FF12. I enjoyed setting up my gambits in such a way that I could go make a sandwich while my party did the fight for me. That's not really the spirit of the game, I know, but it was neat. Also the story was pretty interesting and it was a crazy good looking game for the PS2.

This reminds me of my friend who loves playing Bravely Default because it "automates combat so he can do something else."

If the best feature in a game is that it removes the need to engage with the gameplay, maybe the gameplay is bad?!?!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dr Cheeto posted:

My superhuman ability of "not having grown up with a game console" and then playing Chrono Trigger DS last year allows me to say that it's a great game and people are right to be fond of it.

It makes me sad that the DS version doesn't have Woolsey's translation. :(

Raxivace posted:

Chrono Trigger is good and Robo did a swell job with that forest.

:yeah:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

This reminds me of my friend who loves playing Bravely Default because it "automates combat so he can do something else."

If the best feature in a game is that it removes the need to engage with the gameplay, maybe the gameplay is bad?!?!

The gameplay in BD is really good and the automation is also really good (better in Bravely second though)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
hey bros

So I am obviously going to prioritize playing the big exclusives on my PS4, persona 5, nioh, horizon, all that stuff

What are some smaller or more niche titles that are worth checking out? I have a PC so I don't care to play multiplat titles but I bet there's all sorta gems that I haven't really followed (I'm thinking must play stuff like the odin sphere remake)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I've tried playing Chrono Trigger a few times now and I dislike it as much as I dislike all JRPGs.

e: I like the music though.

What didn't you like about chrono trigger if you don't mind me asking?

It's okay to not like things, I'm not trying to make you rethink your opinion, I'm just curious is all.

I like rpgs and chrono trigger is up there along with live-a-live, shadow hearts covenant, skies of arcadia, planescape torment, and terranigma for me (not in any particular order).

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Since this is Games: Google maps has a fun new feature for the day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

hey bros

So I am obviously going to prioritize playing the big exclusives on my PS4, persona 5, nioh, horizon, all that stuff

What are some smaller or more niche titles that are worth checking out? I have a PC so I don't care to play multiplat titles but I bet there's all sorta gems that I haven't really followed (I'm thinking must play stuff like the odin sphere remake)

It depends. What sort of games do you like? There's a fair number of niche PS4 exclusives but like it's hard to say if Disgaea 5 is your bag. (Though I guess that's not exclusive anymore.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lurdiak posted:

It makes me sad that the DS version doesn't have Woolsey's translation. :(

It's 99% Woolsey's script.

Serf
May 5, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

I've never played BD, so I can't speak to it, but the fun of FF12 was seeing where your gambits broke down and figuring out how to fix them for next time. Getting it to that point is where most of the fun comes from I think. But I enjoy that just as much as something X-COM or Pillars of Eternity where I give each person orders manually.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

a kitten posted:

Since this is Games: Google maps has a fun new feature for the day.

On mobile, that is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

It's 99% Woolsey's script.

The changes were pretty noticeable!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It depends. What sort of games do you like? There's a fair number of niche PS4 exclusives but like it's hard to say if Disgaea 5 is your bag. (Though I guess that's not exclusive anymore.)

I like.....a lot of different stuff. RPG's and pattern-based action games with sick art are always a good time but aside from sports games, racing games, and multiplayer-centric games, I am pretty accepting of any and all games that are legit good

That said, D5 has been on my radar but super lengthy SRPG's are probably low on my interests. I hardly never finish them.

Overall my fave types of games tend to be well-crafted single player experiences with cool art and awesome atmosphere/music regardless of genre

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lobok posted:

On mobile, that is.

It's only on mobile? Well, that's kinda stupid.

it's Ms Pacman on the street grid

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

I like.....a lot of different stuff. RPG's and pattern-based action games with sick art are always a good time but aside from sports games and multiplayer-heavy games, I am pretty accepting of any and all games that are legit good

That said, D5 has been on my radar but super lengthy SRPG's are probably low on my interests. I hardly never finish them

Yakuza 0 is an easy recommendation. Digimon: Cyber Sleuth is kinda like Poke-Persona and a lot of people seem to like it. Gravity Rush/Gravity Rush 2 are pretty drat fun.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Dr Cheeto posted:

"Mysterious & cool transfer student"

Ever since I was born with neon hair I knew my fate as an anime main character was sealed.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Saint Freak posted:

Ever since I was born with neon hair I knew my fate as an anime main character was sealed.

You're the best friend of the protagonist all the girls in class inexplicably hate

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
And having gotten that last flower, and now effectively snowed in until Sunday, I can now plan on playing a billion hours of Nier this weekend.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I watched someone stream Nier for 2 and a half hours the other day and I can say this about it:

1 - People in chat were really angry that the player wouldn't self-destruct so they could see the butt.

2 - The game is really boring if you're a dummy who takes 2 and a half hours to get out of the tutorial.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Total War: Warhammer 2 trailer dropped today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXxe897bW-A

I'm really looking forward to this. I'm not much for the genre but Warhammer is a bunch of fun. I've played as every race now except for the dwarves. Currently doing a campaign with my friend as the Orcs and they're an absolute blast. Ransack towns, eat captives, recruit giants.

I'm especially excited for Dark Elves. I am not super familiar with tabletop Warhammer lore but I read up on them and they're basically the standard trope of magic-wielding high elves only they don't give a poo poo about anything other than murder.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I watched someone stream Nier for 2 and a half hours the other day and I can say this about it:

1 - People in chat were really angry that the player wouldn't self-destruct so they could see the butt.

2 - The game is really boring if you're a dummy who takes 2 and a half hours to get out of the tutorial.

The only stream to watch of Nier: Automata is KyleMcCarley's. He's the English VA for the male lead, but he reads all the text dialogue aloud and does voices for it. Sometimes the VA for 2B joins him. It's good times.

It's like magically watching a fully voiced version of the game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
any tips for starting out in Slime Rancher

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
People always mention that someone should do something the Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis system - Well, Ken Levine got your back.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ranch dressing is a slime hth

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

FirstAidKite posted:

What didn't you like about chrono trigger if you don't mind me asking?

It's okay to not like things, I'm not trying to make you rethink your opinion, I'm just curious is all.

I like rpgs and chrono trigger is up there along with live-a-live, shadow hearts covenant, skies of arcadia, planescape torment, and terranigma for me (not in any particular order).

Like I said, it's not so much a Chrono Trigger thing as it is a JRPG thing. I don't like picking things to do out of menus and then watching my characters do them. I'd much rather have total control of the character. All the reading of the story (which I suppose is the main draw for most people who like JRPGs) feels like something I have to push through to get to the gameplay, and when I do the gameplay just isn't very fun. Seeing a character's numbers go up a little means almost nothing to me. Picking one attack that does a slightly different kind of damage, or costs some of one meter, or increases someones stat for the next three turns, it all feels the same.

It's very rare that I get invested in a game's story, and that's only if I also really enjoy the gameplay.

I wish you could change my opinion on it, because I know there's a lot of great games out there (including Chrono Trigger) that just bore me and I wish I could enjoy them like other people do.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Samuringa posted:

People always mention that someone should do something the Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis system - Well, Ken Levine got your back.

uggh

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I hope Ken Levine's next game bombs hard.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I hope the guy who made bioshock games goes on to make other cool and fun games

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If it helps, I think a lot of the basic systems in many JRPGs are fundamentally bad, or at least unenjoyable for me. Random encounters can go suck it, especially, and combat is often just "hold X to spam physical attacks". I think they've gotten better at this kind of stuff, but most of my JRPG experiences happened during the SNES and PS1 era.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

One of the reasons Lufia 2, Earthbound and Chrono Trigger are some of my favorite RPGs is that they don't really have random encounters. I mean Lufia 2 has them on the world map, but not in dungeons. It's just a bad system, flat-out, and the games that have random encounters that I enjoy are enjoyed in spite of it. The only way to make something like random encounters interesting is if they are truly random in the sense that they can be something other than just combat, like Fallout 1 and 2's map encounters.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

JRPGs are often pretty poor at communicating and requiring engagement with their mechanics, yeah. Random encounters went away a while back with the occasional exception, usually in intentional throwback games.

and tbh CT's map encounters were just as bad as random ones could be or worse whenever dungeons tried to loop you around

Motto fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 31, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

Random encounters can go suck it, especially

Oh christ, I forgot about this specifically because it wasn't a thing in Chrono Trigger. I absolutely hate them. I can't stand when I'm just trying to walk from one place to another and I'm getting bogged down every few steps to fight some lovely enemy that gets me like 1xp and 10 gold.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

KingSlime posted:

I hope the guy who made bioshock games goes on to make other cool and fun games

It has become increasingly clear that anything good about those games was due to other developers, and had little to do with Ken. The best Bioshock is 2.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

an actual dog posted:

It has become increasingly clear that anything good about those games was due to other developers, and had little to do with Ken. The best Bioshock is 2.
I replayed BioShock 1 and 2 back to back earlier this year and man is 2 lightyears better mechanically. I still really like both games though, and they each have their strengths and flaws.

They both suffer from there being no real incentive to Harvest though, which kind of makes the ~moral dilemma~ fall completely flat.

EDIT: Also Mark Meltzer is the best character in these games.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 31, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Motto posted:

and tbh CT's map encounters were just as bad as random ones could be whenever backtracking was a possibility

No way. Not only were they static and thus perfectly mapped to the game and individual dungeons' intended difficulty curve, they had cool little vignettes for every one you triggered. Plus it was extremely rare that the game asked you to backtrack through encounter triggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That's why I like action rpgs, where random encounters are a treat and I try to trigger more of them.

I should play Tales of Eternia again.

• Locked thread