Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

an actual dog posted:

It has become increasingly clear that anything good about those games was due to other developers, and had little to do with Ken. The best Bioshock is 2.

This is true of most developers you can actually name though. Like Kojima :ssh:

2 had the best combat but Bioshock games aren't really about combat, I'd argue 1 and Infinite had better stories. (1 wins for me for being the most original, the others feel like expansions)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Minerva's Den is still the best thing attached to anything with the word BioShock

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

BioShock 2 is also kind of weird because it was a few years early to the father/daughter trend in games.

And Silent Hill 1 was there like a decade before too.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Minerva's Den is still the best thing attached to anything with the word BioShock

I would say the only good thing

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
So I called up amazon since I noticed via tracking that my courier was an amazon employee rather than UPS/Fedex, and they told me they'd have no prob instructing the delivery person to get to my apt after 6:30

two seconds later: instructions were updated and your item will arrive after 6:30 PM

wow, if this plays out as it should I am definitely keeping prime, poo poo is way cool

if the courier misses me or whatever it still won't be the worst thing because I'm working through like ten video games, one to two hours per night at a time

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

:chloe:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Bioshock 2 was easily the best Bioshock. The first two definitely carried on in the spirit of System Shock, which is not something you could easily find when those game were coming out.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Jesus Christ

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I enjoyed the first Bioshock a lot even though it was really easy

Infinite just pissed me off by being Wasted Potential: The Game (seriously you use the skyrails like 3 times in the whole fuckin game)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
yeh it was a very pretty, mostly generic first person shooter with a seemingly interesting plot that doesn't actually ever go anywhere satisfying

still a good game but not the classic it should have been

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Phantasium posted:

That's why I like action rpgs, where random encounters are a treat and I try to trigger more of them.

I should play Tales of Eternia again.

Even in Yakuza or whatever, it's never fun to constantly be interrupted when you're trying to get from Point A to Point B.

Zaphod42 posted:

Amen to that.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
oh yeah am i going to love nioh, or am i going to loving LOVE nioh?

I played the beta and it felt like a very cool souls clone with its unique charm

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

an actual dog posted:

I hope Ken Levine's next game bombs hard.

His last game sold 10 million units and everyone still lost their jobs. Ghost Story Games is his purgatory.

Zaphod42 posted:

2 had the best combat but Bioshock games aren't really about combat, I'd argue 1 and Infinite had better stories. (1 wins for me for being the most original, the others feel like expansions)

Bioshock Infinite, along with L.A. Noire and Max Payne 3, came during a time in which Take2's management gave blank checks to creative talent heading prestige projects. The Houser brothers from Rockstar had creative control over their games and received hundreds of millions of dollars in bonuses. It's similar to what Warner Bros. Studios had with Christopher Nolan, the Wachowskis, and Zach Snyder.

These days, they make more money upselling players on GTA5 shark cards.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

KingSlime posted:

I played the beta and it felt like a very cool souls clone with its unique charm

Nioh is very, very good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

KingSlime posted:

It's really good, although I'm still in the front half of the game and I hear that the back half kind of lags due to lack of enemy variety.

But still...really really good so far.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Even in Yakuza or whatever, it's never fun to constantly be interrupted when you're trying to get from Point A to Point B.

0 solved that by letting you throw money to distract enemies

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Sunning posted:

Bioshock Infinite, along with L.A. Noire and Max Payne 3, came during a time in which Take2's management gave blank checks to creative talent heading prestige projects. The Houser brothers from Rockstar had creative control over their games and received hundreds of millions of dollars in bonuses. It's similar to what Warner Bros. Studios had with Christopher Nolan, the Wachowskis, and Zach Snyder.

These days, they make more money upselling players on GTA5 shark cards.

This is a good point , and lol all of those games are bad.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I am definitely pumped for nioh then

Dark Souls 3 was a blast but lacked its own personality (though the DLCs and subsequent playthoughs have made me appreciate what the game is doing much more than before)

Nioh looks like it will hopefully offer exactly what DS3 was supposed to deliver: a fresh new action game with its own unique vibe and atmosphere

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Like I said, it's not so much a Chrono Trigger thing as it is a JRPG thing. I don't like picking things to do out of menus and then watching my characters do them. I'd much rather have total control of the character. All the reading of the story (which I suppose is the main draw for most people who like JRPGs) feels like something I have to push through to get to the gameplay, and when I do the gameplay just isn't very fun. Seeing a character's numbers go up a little means almost nothing to me. Picking one attack that does a slightly different kind of damage, or costs some of one meter, or increases someones stat for the next three turns, it all feels the same.

It's very rare that I get invested in a game's story, and that's only if I also really enjoy the gameplay.

I wish you could change my opinion on it, because I know there's a lot of great games out there (including Chrono Trigger) that just bore me and I wish I could enjoy them like other people do.

This is some really good, concise stuff.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

KingSlime posted:

Nioh looks like it will hopefully offer exactly what DS3 was supposed to deliver: a fresh new action game with its own unique vibe and atmosphere

It definitely has that going for it!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

0 solved that by letting you throw money to distract enemies

Everything about Zero makes it sound like the best Yakuza yet. It even has a plot that almost makes sense!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
welp looks like i'm also adding Yakuza 0 to my list

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

KingSlime posted:

It's the reverse of souls lorewise because the plot and cutscenes are over-explanatory and some of the major plot points are completely silly

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Weirdly enough it does a pretty good job of not being a Souls clone. It's got some systems that are right out of Souls--the way XP works and how you level up, specifically--but the actual combat is very different, as is its approach to equpiment. It's a refreshing and really fun game.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

an actual dog posted:

This is a good point , and lol all of those games are bad.

Hey now, L.A. Noire was fun. In its own way.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

KingSlime posted:

I am definitely pumped for nioh then

Dark Souls 3 was a blast but lacked its own personality (though the DLCs and subsequent playthoughs have made me appreciate what the game is doing much more than before)

http://i.imgur.com/cOP6Sjh.gifv

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is that the cat speaking?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

No.

It does talk to the main character later, though. And also teaches him Japanese.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jay Rust posted:

In a way...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Aww I was picturing this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Samuringa posted:

People always mention that someone should do something the Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis system - Well, Ken Levine got your back.

But what if you are the nemesis? heh, really makes you think. *collects hundreds of awards*

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxkqW3SJe9o

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I wish you could change my opinion on it, because I know there's a lot of great games out there (including Chrono Trigger) that just bore me and I wish I could enjoy them like other people do.

In that case, how do you feel about about the Ys games?

Lurdiak posted:

The only way to make something like random encounters interesting is if they are truly random in the sense that they can be something other than just combat, like Fallout 1 and 2's map encounters.

I like random encounters in dungeon crawlers like etrian odyssey where the battles are treated as a puzzle, or in shadow hearts covenant where the fights are fun so I don't mind getting into them since it is slightly more involved than just "mash buttons." There are dungeon crawlers and jrpgs that don't have random encounters though like legend of grimrock and mario RPGs and they work there, as well, tho. In etrian odyssey, I think the random encounters exist as more of a means to discourage the player from going too far down without first exploring and leveling up so that you can deal with the obstacles further in like the traps, FOEs, and bosses.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That is definitely not the tone I imagined Nioh having.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So Dragon Quest Heroes is on sale right now on Steam... Worth :20bux:, yay or nay?
I don't usually like musou games that much single player, but I remember hearing some good things about this one when it came out. But the steam reviews being "mixed" is giving me pause.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Celery Jello posted:

Hey now, L.A. Noire was fun. In its own way.

Restoring the "Truth" and "Doubt" buttons to their original labeling of "good cop/bad cop" or whatever it was improves the game a lot.

That game's production was a loving mess, it's amazing a functional final product came out of it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Keeping in mind that I have not played Persona 5 yet, Nekomata is currently in the lead for Best Video Game Cat 2017

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

In Training posted:

SMT4Apocalypse is one of the best jrpgs I ever played

its good but its not exactly nocturne

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jay Rust posted:

To be fair this is a goofier moment in the game.

But the whole thing is just sort of silly. One of the game mechanics is finding little lost spirits and sending them back to Shrines (Nioh's version of the Bonfire) and when you get to the Shrines all the little guys you've rescued are there, and they cheer you on and do little dances and are happy to see you. The game goes out of its way to stay silly and remind you it's all in fun even while it's kicking your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Nioh is delightful and never takes itself very seriously. It's basically the story of an Irish dude who stumbles into the Battle of Sekigahara and never really understands what's going on while searching for his kidnapped spirit buddy and also following his one true dream of killing every demon. Also he hangs out with a cat spirit who teaches him Japanese and is repeatedly made fun of by ninjas.

• Locked thread