Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

thathonkey posted:

who do the frogmen hate more? hillary clinton or brown people?

do you truly hate vermin, cockroaches, and other lesser creatures in the way you can hate a person that you loathe? for me there's a bit of something else mixed in, maybe some faint pity. for this reason I suspect hillary clinton is the answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

thathonkey posted:

haha this thread is still talkin about hillary rodham clinton

Listen trump hosed our asses raw.....

BUT

IMAGINE

IF

HILLARY

WAS

PRESIDENT

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Dizz posted:

Listen trump hosed our asses raw.....

BUT

IMAGINE

IF

HILLARY

WAS

PRESIDENT

*autistic screeching*

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

EugeneJ posted:

The right just took over the government

Decades ago, sure. LOL if you don't consider Obama to be on the right

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Look at Trump's margin of victory in the rust belt states and the number of 3rd party voters. Twitter was basically a giant salt factory for days over it.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Jukebox Hero posted:

There are two options

Democrats might do it maybe

Republicans cannot do it because they have campaigned against it on a borderline religious level for years

I shall vote dem

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Sentient Data posted:

Decades ago, sure. LOL if you don't consider Obama to be on the right

Obama is almost the platonic ideal of a centrist deal-maker.

Which doesn't work at all in a world with an unhinged lunatic right whose primary objective for years has been defined strictly by who they hate.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

ikanreed posted:

Obama is almost the platonic ideal of a centrist deal-maker.

Ok, so ya'll want war, but the people don't. Here's the deal - we drone strike them endlessly. Done and done.

Ok, so ya'll wanna gouge consumers on healthcare, but the people don't want that. Here's the deal, we set up a website for easy gouging. Done and done.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

Except the right says that and then does literally the exact opposite.

We went from a small surplus under Bill Clinton into a hilariously huge deficit under Bush. The GOP says they want "less gov't, less intrusive gov't" then they decide they have the moral authority to tell people how to marry, how to gently caress, which bathrooms they are allowed to use, harsh drug sentencing and enforcement, etc.

They want a nanny state just as much as the Dems do except theirs is a fundamentalist religious one. They spend just as much as the Dems do, just on different things (like the military).

Like I feel you dude but the GOP is not actually the party of "less gov't" anymore and they haven't been since Reagan.

check it out- congress controls the budget.

presidents have the veto, and often propose budgets that would be more accurately described as "wish lists", but unless the president's party controls congress and is willing to play ball (less frequent than you might suppose), the veto is a very crude tool and only moderately useful for budget negotiations. the upshot is that the small surplus achieved at the turn of the century was largely a product of the republican revolution of '94 and their policy priorities, although clinton does deserve some credit for his generally pro-growth "third way" political philosophy. the dot com bubble also warrants a shout-out.

republicans selling out their values during the bush administration was the primary factor behind bush's abysmal approval ratings towards the end (if you lose your own partisans, the bottom falls out) and directly led to the tea party and a poo poo ton of republicans getting primaried or "retiring." it's tempting to use federal appropriations as a patronage system when you're in power, and it's a shame congressionally-mandated term limits were found unconstitutional, because they were a good reform to address the inevitable corruption of an entrenched political class through regular removal.

an interesting addendum is that clinton's success was found in adopting republican positions (triangulation, "era of big government is over") while the republican downfall was found in adopting democratic positions (:ssh: neocons were disillusioned democrats)

please do better, moridin :regd09:

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
trump is cool and good and will win re-election easily, hopefully rbg dies in the next 7 years so we can correct the supreme court of horrid people

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Ok, so ya'll want war, but the people don't. Here's the deal - we drone strike them endlessly. Done and done.

Ok, so ya'll wanna gouge consumers on healthcare, but the people don't want that. Here's the deal, we set up a website for easy gouging. Done and done.

Donald trump is not meaningfully different on these kind of issues.

I stayed home for the 2016 presidential election because i'm not loving stupid enough to think trump was any different from shilldawg. Still important to be opposed.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
100% if Trump is the same old kind of politician, I have no problem admitting he's trash and that I got suckered.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
So...what are you waiting for?

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Nut to Butt posted:

republicans selling out their values during the bush administration was the primary factor behind bush's abysmal approval ratings towards the end (if you lose your own partisans, the bottom falls out) and directly led to the tea party and a poo poo ton of republicans getting primaried or "retiring."
If that was really a principled stance by conservatives against their party, it seems like it would've come down when they were actually selling out their values - i.e. Medicare Part D was a pharmaceutical giveaway in 'entitlement' form, which should theoretically be the worst of both worlds, and passed in 2003, and even got Paul Ryan's vote. I suspect Republicans jumping ship on Bush at the end had a lot less to do with the deficit, and more to do with the economic downturn and subsequent Wall Street collapse, where the Republicans were basically in an indefensible position.

new phone who dis posted:

Do you think nobody noticed the people who didn't vote or voted third party this time?
The Clinton allies have been blaming Jill Stein voters for everything, for months. The hardcore Hillary supporting Twitter accounts (which includes quite a number of celebrities) are basically already blaming them for Trump. Softly political center-left people eat this up, it's more reassuring to think "Bernie Bro hipsters in Florida were the problem" than "Hillary had no coherent platform outside acknowledging Trump is a retard". In the Nader situation, where Gore also ran a boring focus-grouped campaign, equivalent message basically stuck.

Vote your beliefs, but pretty skeptical the message actually comes through in real political terms.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

100% if Trump is the same old kind of politician, I have no problem admitting he's trash and that I got suckered.

does a helper help you put your pants on and stuff? god bless them

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

the second paragraph is probably one of the most retarded things youve ever posted and good god is that saying a lot :stare:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thathonkey posted:

the second paragraph is probably one of the most retarded things youve ever posted and good god is that saying a lot :stare:

They just took the old free-market system and made it more accessible - he's not wrong

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

thathonkey posted:

If you can watch this and be cool with it, I don't know what to tell you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Cla0waf80

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Yes, a new healthcare system that hosed the majority overall was cool and good. Thanks for tanking wages and slashing plans.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Obama's little fuckbois are literally laughing in our faces, Obama was a cool dude tho right

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
it's great the efftronica's wannabes come in here and try to be edgy, it just makes the thread that much better!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Can we ignore drone striking weddings some more? The golden boy Obama poo poo never gets old.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Landstander posted:

If that was really a principled stance by conservatives against their party, it seems like it would've come down when they were actually selling out their values - i.e. Medicare Part D was a pharmaceutical giveaway in 'entitlement' form, which should theoretically be the worst of both worlds, and passed in 2003, and even got Paul Ryan's vote. I suspect Republicans jumping ship on Bush at the end had a lot less to do with the deficit, and more to do with the economic downturn and subsequent Wall Street collapse, where the Republicans were basically in an indefensible position.

you correctly identified a major first straw, but it's not unusual for grassroots backlashes like the tea party to operate on a delay because the outrage over "betrayals" is cumulative. an easy example would be the declaration of independence's inclusion of the litany of abuses suffered at the hands of king george iii. there was quite a bit of consternation amongst conservatives over part d, but ultimately it won out because it was viewed as good politics (of the pork variety) and that is exactly the sort of partisan "pragmatism" that stems from being the establishment. the two other major "betrayals" were the attempted immigration reform, and everything that was done in response to the 2007 recession. the support wasn't lost from the elected republicans who were running scared, but from the base, which is why i talked about approval rating rather than congressional votes.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
While I don't typically care about politics I am on the opposite side of whatever moridin is talking about

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

Next time vote for Bernie in the primaries you morons.

For this to matter the primaries have to be, yknow "not literally rigged" :ssh:

And lmao forever if you think the DNC is physically Capable of doing something without corruption

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

T.S. Smelliot posted:

And lmao forever if you think the DNC is physically Capable of doing something without corruption

But they look out for me :downs:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Health insurance was awesome when companies could consider nearly everything a pre existing condition and you could get policies for $49 a month that covered literally nothing.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

scrubs season six posted:

Health insurance was awesome when companies could consider nearly everything a pre existing condition and you could get policies for $49 a month that covered literally nothing.

Now it's 300$ a month for those same policies, I guess everyone can get them though so that's cool

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
All Obama had to do was pass a law "Cannot deny due to pre-existing condition" and he would've won the day

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
Gee if only one party suggested the idea of not letting premiums rise after implementing the "you can't just leave people out to die" rule.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
lol Trump's hosed

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hmmmm nope

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mordor She Wrote posted:

So...what are you waiting for?

Still better than Hillary

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Still better than Hillary

lol

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
trump has a big ole dumpy rump, is he stuffing ?? diaps?? maybe that's where he keeps his tax papers :D

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Now it's 300$ a month for those same policies, I guess everyone can get them though so that's cool

Those policies no longer exist, genius.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Why isn't DWS in prison yet for robbing bernie of a legit chance?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

All Obama had to do was pass a law "Cannot deny due to pre-existing condition" and he would've won the day

Do you actually pick what you're arguing on favor of or do you just say whatever idiot poo poo comes to mind because that's my gimmick and you're stealing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

So how long are people going to defend Obamacare as the second coming while choking on government cock?

• Locked thread