Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

What's a good master-master key value store? The list of DBs is too long and so far I see it's between Voldemort, Riak, ArangoDB, Tarantool, and MongoDB :lol:. Having Java as a dependency is kinda poo poo though, there are a few built on Erlang which can be more self contained with the Beam runtime.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
lmao business logic in abstract classes gently caress you

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sapozhnik posted:

hmm

maybe there is a middle ground between having garbage grab bag commits and disappearing up your own rear end in a top hat whilst sighing over your code's magnificence

I wish you would disappear up your own rear end in a top hat ... and take youre posting with you!!!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

MrMoo posted:

What's a good master-master key value store? The list of DBs is too long and so far I see it's between Voldemort, Riak, ArangoDB, Tarantool, and MongoDB :lol:. Having Java as a dependency is kinda poo poo though, there are a few built on Erlang which can be more self contained with the Beam runtime.

"It depends"

Cassandra is one of the few things I don't have anything bad to say about despite being real strange. Evaluated riak once upon a time and it seemed good, but we ended up going with a clusterfuck of redis sentinel shards instead.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
use redis or memcached, they are fine. treat them as a distributed cache, never a primary database. the source of truth should be a normal relational db

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

MrMoo posted:

uh so what are your constraints?

does it have to be embedded
are you ok with a hosted solution
how many keys, how much read and write tps
do you need anything more than get from a key and put to a key

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
how do you feel about consistency? how prominently do asteroids obliterating a minority of your datacenters figure into your risk assessment?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

fritz posted:

put in the god drat parentheses you animal

No.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

MrMoo posted:

what others said about "what exactly are your needs" but honestly you'll probably end up with either riak or cassandra

absolutely do not use mongodb

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

basho is winding down, so i wouldn't use riak

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

the talent deficit posted:

basho is winding down, so i wouldn't use riak

yeah rip

(I left in Jan. 2016)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

HoboMan posted:

q motherfucking q

what do you do that you can be in the office for only 4 hours a day and get paid my salary as a loving bonus?

Same. Methinks it's time to dust off the ol' guillotine.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
oh my god i have explained this one issue to a coworker five times now.

we have old pentaho 3.0.0 report files. the new 7.0.0 server can read them and generate reports, yay. unfortunately we can't update our report file format without making changes to our java code.

the java code parses the xaction file generated from the report file,
extracts the sql query inside the xaction,
does some regexp manipulation to the sql to feed it to hibernate,
runs the query to determine how many individual reports need to be generated. (i don't understand this bit 100%, but the result is a list of report numbers)
then it requests the pentaho server to generate an individual report for each report number in the list.

but for some reason the coworker just won't understand that if we convert our old report files to the "new" (8 year old) prpt format, then there are no xaction files anymore and no more sql to extract and run, so our code needs to be changed.

like i understand that the process i explained above is insane, but the key points are "the old file is an xml file containing sql" and "the new file is a zip containing xml, containing sql"

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

It's really remarkable how quickly basho destroyed itself.

I still laugh at "data gravity"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

but enough about your mother

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

FamDav posted:

uh so what are your constraints?

does it have to be embedded
are you ok with a hosted solution
how many keys, how much read and write tps
do you need anything more than get from a key and put to a key

It's all of two systems locked down like Fort Nox on the NYSE floor. Required TPS is like all of 200/s read and can be slower on write 🤠

So not embedded, not hosted, limit to GET and PUT verbs with the value being a JSON object. Key count is < 1,000. Eventual consistency is fine. Primary constraint is stability and auto-recovery.

Contents is basically configuration of each screen on the floor, e.g.
code:
{ "type": "quadrant-layout",
  "topleft": { "type": "featured-stock", "keys": ["IBM"] },
  "topright": { "type": "short-form", "keys": ["OA", "CIG.C", "YGE", "WMT", "XINA", "XCO", "USWD", "SVT", "UNH", "XOM"] },
  "bottomleft": { "type": "long-form", "keys": ["WFE/PA", "WFC/PR", "XTNT", "XRA", "VZ"] },
  "bottomright": { "type": "long-form", "keys": ["WFC/PN", "WFC/PO", "WFC/PP", "WSO.B", "SVT"] }}
That makes this:

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 30, 2017

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
does mongodb still not support taking backups of data without writing a script that will shut down multiple nodes simultaneously, so you get "as close as possible" to being shut down at the same time, so you can have a "maybe consistent" backup?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

does mongodb still not support taking backups of data without writing a script that will shut down multiple nodes simultaneously, so you get "as close as possible" to being shut down at the same time, so you can have a "maybe consistent" backup?

just use marklogic

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

jfc why did i do this SPA using 100% jquery ajax updating it is a loving paiiiinnnn

i pity the person that eventually has to deal with the cobbled together mvc/webApi/REST pile that this is going to become.

oh wait that's me.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

MrMoo posted:

It's all of two systems locked down like Fort Nox on the NYSE floor. Required TPS is like all of 200/s read and can be slower on write 🤠

So not embedded, not hosted, limit to GET and PUT verbs with the value being a JSON object. Key count is < 1,000. Eventual consistency is fine. Primary constraint is stability and auto-recovery.

Contents is basically configuration of each screen on the floor, e.g.
code:
{ "type": "quadrant-layout",
  "topleft": { "type": "featured-stock", "keys": ["IBM"] },
  "topright": { "type": "short-form", "keys": ["OA", "CIG.C", "YGE", "WMT", "XINA", "XCO", "USWD", "SVT", "UNH", "XOM"] },
  "bottomleft": { "type": "long-form", "keys": ["WFE/PA", "WFC/PR", "XTNT", "XRA", "VZ"] },
  "bottomright": { "type": "long-form", "keys": ["WFC/PN", "WFC/PO", "WFC/PP", "WSO.B", "SVT"] }}
That makes this:

not knowing all the options at hand and what the rest of your infrastructure is like/what tools you got, i wouldn't bother with master-master because you're probably ok with decreased availability on writes.

if you have access to an object store, use an object store. i know groups that store hundreds of thousands of configuration blobs in s3.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

FamDav posted:

not knowing all the options at hand and what the rest of your infrastructure is like/what tools you got, i wouldn't bother with master-master because you're probably ok with decreased availability on writes.

Master-master is critical for load sharing of market data flowing through it. If one system fails the floor still needs to be able to make changes, production software changes can only happen out-of-hours, with bigger changes on the weekend-only. That would allow for an out-of-hours resynchronization process but it would be nice for everything to be automatic and not involve the operations team at all, because :lol: they're already making GBS threads themselves over the timeline on this project already.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
is that pulling configuration data only or configuration and market data?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Use cassandra, it's maybe a little overkill, but it will do what you need really well. You have to spend a bit of time setting up compaction and maintenance jobs, but it's chill and stable after that. You can use http://pithos.io/ with it if you'd prefer an s3 interface and don't want to gently caress with cql. Both are p good and I use them in production.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shaggar posted:

is that pulling configuration data only or configuration and market data?

The DB is display configuration only, the rest of the components (the Router below) on each machine are processing market data and the end consumer accesses everything through a single transport.

I basically want to minimize the machines talking to each other. If you had the direct consumer of the display configuration data (Admin Handler below) talking to both instances then you could have a master-slave deployment and after hours resync.

A challenging option would be a notification mechanism for consumer connected to the other system when an update has been pushed.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The device team are using a MySQL cluster for provision of their configuration data, whatever that includes, I am ideally looking for something a little lighter.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MrMoo posted:

The DB is display configuration only, the rest of the components (the Router below) on each machine are processing market data and the end consumer accesses everything through a single transport.

I basically want to minimize the machines talking to each other. If you had the direct consumer of the display configuration data (Admin Handler below) talking to both instances then you could have a master-slave deployment and after hours resync.

A challenging option would be a notification mechanism for consumer connected to the other system when an update has been pushed.

when you say machines talking to each other you mean the database machines right? not the consumers talking to each other? How often is the display configuration updated and what are the latency requirements?

e: tbh I don't really have any great ideas for you or anything, I'm just interested in the problem.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shaggar posted:

when you say machines talking to each other you mean the database machines right? not the consumers talking to each other? How often is the display configuration updated and what are the latency requirements?

Correct, the database hosts. Naturally the consumers don't talk to each other either. It was on the option list though: use WebRTC to stream data among peers, but the additional complexity of handling the peer that is receiving data from upstream dying was not attractive.

Displays are arbitrarily updated by the clerks on the floor during the day, it depends on the market and who is visiting the floor. Latency requirement is basically human patience.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just use sql server, imo. alternatively Casandra would probably be fine but its still NoSQL

do updates to the configuration come from the clients themselves or are they sent from a central admin?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

HoboMan posted:

q motherfucking q

what do you do that you can be in the office for only 4 hours a day and get paid my salary as a loving bonus?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

a witch posted:

It's really remarkable how quickly basho destroyed itself.

I still laugh at "data gravity"

"quickly"

investors replaced upper management with bozo fail upward types, what, three, four years ago?

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

I'm counting the destruction as roughly the time Tom Santero and cmeik left, but that's an outsider perspective

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
for two straight days I was trying to figure out why a daemon wasn't working when everything indicated it should. then it randomly started working, seemingly unrelated to anything I'd changed, so I lost two entire days and didn't even learn anything useful. kill me

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
and best of all you will never ever be completely certain that things won't break without any reason in the future. i love that kind of garbage

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

a witch posted:

I'm counting the destruction as roughly the time Tom Santero and cmeik left, but that's an outsider perspective

santero and cmeik were years apart

santero was one of the first, his name didn't autocomplete in hipchat one morning

i think cmeik left some time in 2015, spent some time at machine zone (they make some f2p shitfest), and now does academia full time, which rules 'cause he's working on cool poo poo

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

someone posted itt a website where you write programs to buy and sell items on a virtual exchange and now I can't find it, can anyone remember what it is? tia

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
been looking at datomic (ACID nosql database that uses datalog to query + event sourcing) and it's pretty cool but just found this poo poo in their license agreement:

http://www.datomic.com/datomic-pro-edition-eula.html posted:

The Licensee hereby agrees, without the prior written consent of Cognitect, which may be withheld or conditioned at Cognitect's sole discretion, it will not:

[...]

(j) publicly display or communicate the results of internal performance testing or other benchmarking or performance evaluation of the Software;

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
programming would be so great if there were no such thing as business logic

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

someone posted itt a website where you write programs to buy and sell items on a virtual exchange and now I can't find it, can anyone remember what it is? tia

found it in browser history, it was called stockfighter and it's dead now :smith:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

drop ACID not logic bombs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so0BXGEVuoE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

programming would be so great if there were no such thing as business logic

the perfect program is one that doesn't exist at all. honestly feels like i solve half my problems by pushing back at requirements

• Locked thread