Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

raditts posted:

So Dragon Quest Heroes is on sale right now on Steam... Worth :20bux:, yay or nay?
I don't usually like musou games that much single player, but I remember hearing some good things about this one when it came out. But the steam reviews being "mixed" is giving me pause.

It's a mixture of typical Musou stuff and tower defence and leans a lot more heavily on the latter.
The menu system is taken straight from a DQ game and is an utter pain in the arse if you have to do a bunch of stuff at once, but it's not a deal breaker if the first sentence sounds appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of musou: I asked about this before and now I don't remember the answer, but would Hyrule Warriors be a good introduction to musou for someone who's never played one? I'm on a pretty big Zelda kick and some hacking and slashing sounds like a good time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Harrow posted:

Speaking of musou: I asked about this before and now I don't remember the answer, but would Hyrule Warriors be a good introduction to musou for someone who's never played one? I'm on a pretty big Zelda kick and some hacking and slashing sounds like a good time.

Yes it's pretty much still the best one and has an insane amount of content if you enjoy it.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
You probably already know but Hyrule Warriors should only be played on a N3DS or N3DSXL and the fact that it wasn't marked as new-exclusive was a horrible idea.

Edit: also yeah Wii U is good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

You probably already know but it should only be played on a N3DS or N3DSXL

What about Wii U?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Harrow posted:

What about Wii U?

Oh hell I forgot it was on Wii U entirely. Wii U is good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Harrow posted:

What about Wii U?

WiiU is fine performance wise and looks better but is missing stuff from the later 3DS version even if you buy all the DLC, notably best character Linkle's story mode.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I like it a lot. I still prefer to play it two-player, but the single player's not bad.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

FirstAidKite posted:

In that case, how do you feel about about the Ys games?

I've never played any of them but I hear they have more Zelda-like combat. Is the series a continuous story or are they separate like Final Fantasies are? Is there a best one to start with?

Sakurazuka posted:

WiiU is fine performance wise and looks better but is missing stuff from the later 3DS version even if you buy all the DLC, notably best character Linkle's story mode.

Also the 3DS version lets you switch between multiple character during missions, adding variety and allowing you to cover more parts of the map more easily.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah I always forget that wasn't in the original version.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I've never played any of them but I hear they have more Zelda-like combat. Is the series a continuous story or are they separate like Final Fantasies are? Is there a best one to start with?

They have a single story, but aside from I&II being effectively one game they're basically episodic adventures about an adventurer coming to a land by boat or shipwreck and dealing with whatever issue. Good ones to start with are either Oath in Felghana or Origin on PC.

Motto fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 31, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KingSlime posted:

I am definitely pumped for nioh then

Dark Souls 3 was a blast but lacked its own personality (though the DLCs and subsequent playthoughs have made me appreciate what the game is doing much more than before)

Nioh looks like it will hopefully offer exactly what DS3 was supposed to deliver: a fresh new action game with its own unique vibe and atmosphere

I went into DS3 hearing everybody say "I'm souls-d out" and going "what are you guys on about? I love souls!" and when I finished DS3 I too said "I'm souls-d out". As great as DS3 is, its just more of the same, remixed again. Better, but not very fresh. Not nearly as fresh as DeS and DS1 were.

Nioh delivers on that. Its fresh. Its different. And very good.

Like others said, enemy variety suffers on the latter half, but they do some good things with enemy placement even in NG+ to try to stretch the content as far as it can go. And its not a short game anyways.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

The stories are self-contained and generally pretty light, the standard ys story follows the same plot of "adol goes to place, place has mysterious past, people doin some poo poo to gently caress up the place, adol tries to stop bad guys from fuckin up place while learning more about the place's past." There are some bits and pieces connecting the games together (some recurring characters aside from the main character Adol, and there is a kind of overarching lore to the series that isn't shoved in your face but you might start picking up on if you've played multiple games in the series) but other than those, they're very standalone.

It's comparable to a topdown zelda game, but with less emphasis on puzzles. There are puzzles, but they tend to be more along the lines of "find key" or "get key item to get past gate" rather than zelda's more complicated dungeons.

Good ys games to start with would be Ys Origins, Ys 6 Ark of Napishtim, or Ys Oath in Felghana. All three of those are on steam. Ys 1 & 2 are also on steam, but aren't very representative of the playstyle of modern games in the series because Ys 1 & 2 were made during a time when the devs couldn't make a game with more than a few inputs happening at a time, so instead of trying to figure out a way to incorporate an attack button, they just made it so you do damage to enemies by running into them. They kept this for the remakes so you would be running around enemies and bosses, trying to hit them at an angle in order to avoid hitting them head on and taking damage.

Here's a vid of a modern Ys boss fight. It'll let you know if you'd be interested in them or not.

Ys 6 first boss fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyDM-IKuacM

Ys Origins second boss fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6vi-0XkQ8g

Note: those are on nightmare mode where the game gets...well, way more difficult obviously lol. On normal difficulties they're not bad.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

These look alright. They both kind of remind me of the boss fights in Nier. (The original, I haven't played the new one yet.) I might go for one next time there's a sale.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Nioh is delightful and never takes itself very seriously. It's basically the story of an Irish dude who stumbles into the Battle of Sekigahara and never really understands what's going on while searching for his kidnapped spirit buddy and also following his one true dream of killing every demon. Also he hangs out with a cat spirit who teaches him Japanese and is repeatedly made fun of by ninjas.

I wish it was set like a decade or two later, so we could see a young Yagyu Jubei. He's not in enough video games.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Harrow posted:

Nioh is delightful and never takes itself very seriously. It's basically the story of an Irish dude who stumbles into the Battle of Sekigahara and never really understands what's going on while searching for his kidnapped spirit buddy and also following his one true dream of killing every demon. Also he hangs out with a cat spirit who teaches him Japanese and is repeatedly made fun of by ninjas.

He also learns how to be a master samurai from reading the 17th century literary equivalent of those Surviving Edged Weapons videos. It's great.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Blah hospitals suck, there are no video games here and I'm stuck in bed :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The bit where the guy misses a whole damage cycle because he chokes jumping up the demons arm is very relatable.

Also it looks like he's charging and attacking at the same time and I've never found a comfortable setup for that. :(

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

I hope you get well soon!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

The bit where the guy misses a whole damage cycle because he chokes jumping up the demons arm is very relatable.

Also it looks like he's charging and attacking at the same time and I've never found a comfortable setup for that. :(

It's pretty easy to do if you're playing on a keyboard

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Raxivace posted:

I hope you get well soon!

Thanks.. Annoying part is I actually feel pretty good, I was hoping to at least feel tired so I could nap through the night :mad:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

It's pretty easy to do if you're playing on a keyboard

Gah

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ciaphas posted:

You shoulda brought your Nintendo Switch™! *CLICK*

I hope your hospital stay is brief and painless.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I have never seen a Steam sale with less for me than the current one.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

You shoulda brought your Nintendo Switch™! *CLICK*

I hope your hospital stay is brief and painless.

I tried for like a month and a half to find one, no dice. I should have pre-ordered.

Maybe I'd actually play and enjoy BotW this way :v:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://globenewswire.com/news-rele...Act-Canada.html

quote:

SAN DIEGO, March 31, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Mad Catz Interactive, Inc. (the “Company”) (OTC Pink:MCZAF) announced that, with the authorization and approval of its Board of Directors, it and its subsidiary, 1328158 Ontario Inc., made a voluntary assignment in bankruptcy on March 30, 2017, pursuant to the provisions of the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act (Canada). Pursuant to the assignment in bankruptcy, PricewaterhouseCoopers Inc. (“PWC”) has been appointed as the trustee in bankruptcy of the Company’s estate. The Company’s wholly-owned subsidiary, Mad Catz, Inc., ceased operations and also has filed a voluntary petition for relief under chapter 7 of the United States Bankruptcy Code to initiate an orderly liquidation of the assets of the Company. In addition, certain of the Company’s other subsidiaries have filed or will file for liquidation under comparable legislation in their countries of origin.

The Company also announced that all of the directors and officers of the Company have resigned effective as March 30, 2017.

As previously disclosed, the Company’s Board of Directors formed a special committee in 2016 to explore and evaluate strategic alternatives intended to maximize shareholder value, including a sale of the Company. The Company hired a financial advisor in connection with evaluating and pursuing strategic alternatives. The Company has been consistently pursuing its operational plan with the aim of increasing revenue and improving working capital.

The Board of Directors made the decision to have the Company make a voluntary assignment in bankruptcy after considering various strategic alternatives, the interest of various stakeholders of the Company as well as a number of other factors. The Board of Directors has been advised by the Company’s financial advisor and management that no viable strategic alternative in respect of a sale of the Company or other corporate sale transaction is being made available to the Company by any third party. In addition, the Board of Directors has also been advised that the Company’s lenders will not increase the amount of its credit facilities beyond the current levels.

Karen McGinnis, President and Chief Executive Officer, stated that, “Regrettably and notwithstanding that for a significant amount of time the Company has been actively pursuing its strategic alternatives, including various near term financing alternatives such as bank financing and equity infusions, as well as potential sales of certain assets of the Company or a sale of the Company in its entirety, the Company has been unable to find a satisfactory solution to its cash liquidity problems. The Board of Directors and management would like to acknowledge the outstanding efforts of the Company’s employees in support of its business, especially during the time that the Company faced financial difficulties. The Company would also like to thank the vendors and professional service providers who have supported the Company’s efforts during this time.”

Inquiries concerning the filings and proceedings should be directed to the attention of Fergal J. Rogers of PWC at the contact information noted below.

F

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
please don't buy ys vi if you buy any ys, it's kind of bad

unfortunate cause it has the best soundtrack and is one of the two ys vi engine games to have dogi, but it is very badly designed and frustrating

still... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6G_nFcAjDk

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess most people know them for bad N64 controllers or w/e but their fightsticks were pretty good

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like Ys VI, though I haven't gotten around to beating it again on Steam with the better-looking sprites yet. It's definitely a step-down in terms of gameplay systems from Origin and Oath though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ys vi has some decent characters and one of the cooler final bosses in the series, conceptually, but playing it on any difficulty higher than normal is just agonizing

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The music Ys VI is definitely :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzfodAERwuU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Another giant felled by Rock Band.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Viacom disclosed in November that it was trying to sell Harmonix, which it acquired in 2006. It had failed to make money on any of the studio's three Rock Band games release between 2007 and 2009 and was facing a rapid decline in consumer interest for music video games.

Mad Catz: We should make Rock Band 4 and bet the farm on it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lizard Wizard posted:

How do you feel about srpgs? Phantom Brave and Disgaea 1+2 are on sale and they're decent ports of fun, silly games. (Well, Phantom Brave isn't as silly...)

If you want shootmans, there's the Earth Defense Force game on sale, and actionmans have the Devil May Cry stuff on sale.

There's Furi, which is beloved by another poster in here, and Rabi-Ribi, which is a very anime metroidvania that I hear is very good.

On the anime front, Ghost in the Shell SAC and the movies are works of art, Mob Psycho 100 is gorgeous and funny, and there's other good stuff in there besides!

So - there's a lot of stuff on sale, to the point where I'd say there's something for everyone if they look for it! :D

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

exquisite tea posted:

This would require people to remember anything about FF12.

People who remember things are mentally ill

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

People who remember things are mentally ill

It's true. Almost 100% of people diagnosed with mental illness also remember things.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

How do you feel about srpgs? Phantom Brave and Disgaea 1+2 are on sale and they're decent ports of fun, silly games. (Well, Phantom Brave isn't as silly...)

If you want shootmans, there's the Earth Defense Force game on sale, and actionmans have the Devil May Cry stuff on sale.

There's Furi, which is beloved by another poster in here, and Rabi-Ribi, which is a very anime metroidvania that I hear is very good.

On the anime front, Ghost in the Shell SAC and the movies are works of art, Mob Psycho 100 is gorgeous and funny, and there's other good stuff in there besides!

So - there's a lot of stuff on sale, to the point where I'd say there's something for everyone if they look for it! :D

Everything's too expensive tbqh

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lizard Wizard posted:

Everything's too expensive tbqh

I feel you. :(

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yeah, same.

Shadow Tactics is on special I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My friend forced me to buy this week's Humble Bumble because they're multiplayer-focused but I haven't heard of any of them. Which of these should we start with?

Move or Die
Helldivers
Eon Altar
Ultimate Chicken Horse
Tricky Towers
Rampage Knights

We're just two dudes if that matters

• Locked thread