Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

That sure is a line.

The UI and some of the backgrounds look like mid-2000s Newgrounds stuff. Character art is pretty alright though.

Although I like Zeiva's art she never updated her UI from Flash which is a pain as I prefer Ren'py for VNs. Also weird save systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think I'll keep it on the wishlist until I get through some more of my backlog. I also found out there's a demo on their homepage, so I can give that a try later.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

There are too many versions of Higurashi. Too many art patches, too many music patches...I'm still trying to wrap my head around it all

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Okay I think i'm starting to wrap my head around it a bit

The hosed up thing is a lot of the original Mangagamer music seems better than the real thing (like the scary music)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The original soundtrack for the first set of games was basically stock music so it's not particularly good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chapters 5-8 luckily have some amazing tracks because that's when RK07 got his doujin music artist pals to chip in.

Sea Sponge Run posted:

There are too many versions of Higurashi. Too many art patches, too many music patches...I'm still trying to wrap my head around it all
Basically you have:
1). A set of voice/FX patches for all 4 games (which might also include content for upcoming chapters? idk), which you can either copy in whole into each game folder or do the thing where you make symlinks to avoid having to copy large sets of files several times.
2). A 1080p graphics patch for each chapter.
3). Finally each game also gets a "voice + graphics patch" which connects #1 and #2 all together to actually work. This has to be copied into the game folder last because it also contains fixes/updates for the first two steps.

The github isn't the best organized site but everything should be here in one tidy table: https://github.com/07th-mod/guide/wiki/Part-1---Voice-and-Graphics-Patch

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Chapters 5-8 luckily have some amazing tracks because that's when RK07 got his doujin music artist pals to chip in.

I actually thought Meakashi would be out by now since I was informed by pretty much everyone that the original Mangagamer effort for the answer arcs was much better.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MangaGamer's release schedule on Higurashi has been tediously slow across the board. It does not surprise me that they have yet to even talk about chapters 5-8. And they want to do a bunch of extra chapters that were in console versions and fandiscs, too? Guess they aren't finishing until 2020 or so.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 29, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I actually thought Meakashi would be out by now since I was informed by pretty much everyone that the original Mangagamer effort for the answer arcs was much better.
5-8 definitely had better translations than the original set, but I can only assume that they're re-translating them from the ground up like the rest. Which is probably for the best because I tried to go back to my original 5-8 installs and it was real rough compared to what we currently have on Steam. That just goes to show how awful the initial translation was for the first four chapters. Anyway I'd have to believe we'd hear something about them soon, unless it's going to get released in one giant set like Umineko. MangaGamer has a lot of "mystery projects" that they've apparently been slowly working on so it could be one of those.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I'm looking over my options in the Steam anime sale. Anyone have any opinions on the Grisaia series? Any other games you'd compare them to? Seems like 50% is the best discount it ever gets.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

they're pretty funny for a while but then the drama starts and the drama is consistently pretty ham-handed

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

NRVNQSR posted:

I'm looking over my options in the Steam anime sale. Anyone have any opinions on the Grisaia series? Any other games you'd compare them to? Seems like 50% is the best discount it ever gets.

The first game is great. Funny, and decent hammy drama. Loved it. Second game devolves into terrorist incest pedophile assassins, and those are the good guys. Doesn't spend anywhere near enough time with the really cool and fun new characters. Awful loving cliffhanger ending. Avoid like the loving plague.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The first game is great. Funny, and decent hammy drama. Loved it. Second game devolves into terrorist incest pedophile assassins, and those are the good guys. Doesn't spend anywhere near enough time with the really cool and fun new characters. Awful loving cliffhanger ending. Avoid like the loving plague.

WHAT. How utterly disappointing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

NRVNQSR posted:

First game was funny at times but overall I found it pretty overrated. Never read the sequel.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

The House in Fata Morgana is 25% off again. It's very, very good, and has an amazing soundtrack. You might be surprised at the amount of depth there is to nearly all the characters.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sacrificial Toast posted:

The House in Fata Morgana is 25% off again. It's very, very good, and has an amazing soundtrack. You might be surprised at the amount of depth there is to nearly all the characters.

get this instead idiots!!!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Cake Attack posted:

get this instead idiots!!!
Oh gently caress yeah please do this instead, everyone.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I wish they'd go faster with the Fata Morgana sidestory (and of course that it ends up being good).

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
http://store.steampowered.com/app/577480/

Only a few more weeks until chapter 5 of Higurashi is released! As someone who is playing through this series for the first time, I really can't wait to start seeing how many of my theories turn out to be correct (Chapter 5 is the start of the answer arc, right?).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yep, first four chapters ask the questions and the next four provide the answers. Technically this is an entirely new game, as originally the first four chapters were collected under the Higurashi banner while 5-8 fall under a separate release titled "Kai". Bit of a moot point since Mangagamer are pulling their releases from Higurashi Hou which is a collection of just about everything.

Ch. 5/Meakashi is not my favorite answer chapter, but it does some real compelling poo poo that'll leave a major lasting impression and is sure to shake up any and everyone's theories. Higurashi Kai is far superior to the original chapters in just about every notable respect; they are paced far better (despite being longer most of the time), have far more engrossing stories and characterization, and some really great sets of music. When I think of the reasons I like Higurashi so much, it's almost entirely because of these chapters.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Yep, first four chapters ask the questions and the next four provide the answers. Technically this is an entirely new game, as originally the first four chapters were collected under the Higurashi banner while 5-8 fall under a separate release titled "Kai". Bit of a moot point since Mangagamer are pulling their releases from Higurashi Hou which is a collection of just about everything.

Ch. 5/Meakashi is not my favorite answer chapter, but it does some real compelling poo poo that'll leave a major lasting impression and is sure to shake up any and everyone's theories. Higurashi Kai is far superior to the original chapters in just about every notable respect; they are paced far better (despite being longer most of the time), have far more engrossing stories and characterization, and some really great sets of music. When I think of the reasons I like Higurashi so much, it's almost entirely because of these chapters.

Out of curiosity, what would you say is your favorite of the Kai chapters? I've enjoyed all of the Higurashi games released so far, although I will admit the first chapter was a bit of a slog. Just kinda wondering what people consider to be the high point of the series, considering most of the games thus far have been pretty great.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My favourite is the last chapter the most because I like how it explains everything.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

My favourite is the last chapter the most because I like how it explains everything.

So there are actually clear, definitive answers? At this point, I'm so used to visual novels ending ambiguously that I figured Higurashi would do that as well.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Kristopher posted:

Out of curiosity, what would you say is your favorite of the Kai chapters? I've enjoyed all of the Higurashi games released so far, although I will admit the first chapter was a bit of a slog. Just kinda wondering what people consider to be the high point of the series, considering most of the games thus far have been pretty great.

Tsumihoroboshi for me, mainly because I'm a sap and the scene where Keiichi remembers everything and starts crying while the others are all "wtf man" gets me every time. It's also kind of the turning point where things start looking up.

edit: though, if you haven't read the answer arcs I suppose a fully spoilered response wouldn't be that helpful :v:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Kristopher posted:

So there are actually clear, definitive answers?

Mostly?

It's been a while, but I probably liked EP7 best. EP8 is still very good but I felt its pacing was a little uneven by comparison.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kristopher posted:

Chapter 7 / Minagoroshi, easily. From the very first lines in the intro to the final scene it is packed to the brim with reveals, satisfying "conclusions" to many character arcs and plot threads started across all of the games, and a story that cuts far deeper than anything before it. It reframed and contextualized the story in such a way that it changed (for the better) how you'd view all of the previous chapters. I believe it's the first time "you" is played too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPU5rMAWvlQ

E: I'd go chapters 7>6>8>5, IMO. Tsumihoroboshi (#6) is really loving great as well for its own reasons and while I have some issues with a few specific parts in Matsuribayashi (#8) on the whole it's amazing too.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 3, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Speaking of Higurashi, Sui is on sale on PSN in Japan for under $30 which is huge because it normally goes for $75. That's the version of Higurashi with All The Chapters and then some. If you can read Japanese this is a no-brainer at that price.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So uh does Steins; Gate 0 get more interesting? I've done one ending route and am currently on the second and so far the whole thing has been like the boring bit at the start of the first game only with Rintaro being a miserable sad sack instead of fun.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought that was what made it interesting, personally. :shrug:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

So uh does Steins; Gate 0 get more interesting? I've done one ending route and am currently on the second and so far the whole thing has been like the boring bit at the start of the first game only with Rintaro being a miserable sad sack instead of fun.
The plot itself never really rises to the occasion IMO, so no I suppose. You play it for the character interaction and that's about it. I do think that part of it is pretty good, all told.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Played through the demo of Fatal Twelve just to check whether it's worth pledging for a physical Kickstarter copy before it ends.

It's... I dunno? The ideas seem solid if a little overused, and I'm typically a fan of "Future Diary"-style suspense stories, but the implementation and actual writing feel just a little ham-fisted. I never played Sound of Drop, but from impressions I've read it seems like that was the same.

Anyone else have opinions on it?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

"This game will unlock in approximately 8 months"

Wow, so quick. Thank you Steam.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

Played through the demo of Fatal Twelve just to check whether it's worth pledging for a physical Kickstarter copy before it ends.

It's... I dunno? The ideas seem solid if a little overused, and I'm typically a fan of "Future Diary"-style suspense stories, but the implementation and actual writing feel just a little ham-fisted. I never played Sound of Drop, but from impressions I've read it seems like that was the same.

Anyone else have opinions on it?

I enjoyed Sound of Drop well enough as a "find all the silly death scenes" kind of game. The story wasn't anything particularly special.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

There's been a lot of otoge announced in the last few days:

Nightshade (Vita to PC port) on Steam last week

Period Cube on 4/28/17
Hakouki Kyoto Winds on 5/31/17
Collar x Malice on 7/28/17

Currently playing Nightshade and TL is overly literal which means a lot of "people die when they're killed" moments here :coffee:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone played The Silver Case? It came out in PS4 today.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Sakurazuka posted:

Anyone played The Silver Case? It came out in PS4 today.

I really want to but only being on PS4 kinda sucks. I am still immersed in P5 and there's too much coming out soon that I don't know when I will get time for this. If it was on Vita I would buy it for sure.

Alder posted:

There's been a lot of otoge announced in the last few days:

Nightshade (Vita to PC port) on Steam last week

Period Cube on 4/28/17
Hakouki Kyoto Winds on 5/31/17
Collar x Malice on 7/28/17

Currently playing Nightshade and TL is overly literal which means a lot of "people die when they're killed" moments here :coffee:

I already have those first two preordered but hadn't heard of the third so thanks. Nightshade is another I wish they would put on Vita.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Silver Case is uh, pretty neat? If you look back at killer7 with a certain amount of fondness you'll probably get a kick out of it, but if that doesn't describe you I'm not sure what you'd make of it. It's a very strange thing, and very very much a product of the time it was made in. Not that it's technologically dated, though it is, but that it's a lot about things that were going on in Japan in the late 90s. Amazing soundtrack though, by the guy who went on to work on killer7 and God Hand and No More Heroes and Danganronpa and tons more.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 21, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Fru Fru posted:

I really want to but only being on PS4 kinda sucks. I am still immersed in P5 and there's too much coming out soon that I don't know when I will get time for this. If it was on Vita I would buy it for sure.

I already have those first two preordered but hadn't heard of the third so thanks. Nightshade is another I wish they would put on Vita.

Nightshade works better on PC though :v:

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Fru Fru posted:

I really want to but only being on PS4 kinda sucks.

Isn't it also on Steam for PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry