Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

AskYourself posted:

I think Tony need a fan for the server ;)

:redass:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Dick Trauma posted:

I resubbed for now to be active when the anniversary arrives. I have $1300 LOTRO bucks... somehow. I think the only expansion I have is Moria. Anything in particular I should buy, especially things that might benefit a non-sub?

Buy the other half of the housing writs we need for our own goon island and become a legendary famous rich philanthropist like Hammerstein. I checked a few days ago and didn't write it down, but I think a kin island was 36 housing writs, housing writs are 250 lotro points per writ. I can buy a few, and a couple of other officers also mentioned they'd do the same.

But we being poor have only our dreams. If only I had a part time job when I was a teenager ten years ago, or the game came out on my birthday or something. Ten years of unlimited e-bucks.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

extra stout posted:

Buy the other half of the housing writs we need for our own goon island and become a legendary famous rich philanthropist like Hammerstein. I checked a few days ago and didn't write it down, but I think a kin island was 36 housing writs, housing writs are 250 lotro points per writ. I can buy a few, and a couple of other officers also mentioned they'd do the same.

But we being poor have only our dreams. If only I had a part time job when I was a teenager ten years ago, or the game came out on my birthday or something. Ten years of unlimited e-bucks.
I'd offer to help with writs but you kept being a dick to me when I chose to spend my TP on a Belfalas house instead of content. Enjoy your poetic justice :smugwizard:

P.S. North Ithilien is a bad zone and wasn't worth spending money on since the only good part turned out to be the epic quests

P.P.S. Alright I lied I'm logging on now to buy some writs

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

I resubbed for now to be active when the anniversary arrives. I have $1300 LOTRO bucks... somehow. I think the only expansion I have is Moria. Anything in particular I should buy, especially things that might benefit a non-sub?

Unless you want to level via skirmishes and the like you're going to unfortunately need Rohan. I think going through Moria (does that get you Lothlorien and Mirkwood too automatically?) will take you through to level 70 if you suck it dry. You still need to hit about 85 to get to Wildermore, and I believe Gondor aka the game gets good again at 90. Rohan's a drag, but I think it's th eonly way to easily continue forward from level 70 or so. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Unless you want to level via skirmishes and the like you're going to unfortunately need Rohan. I think going through Moria (does that get you Lothlorien and Mirkwood too automatically?) will take you through to level 70 if you suck it dry. You still need to hit about 85 to get to Wildermore, and I believe Gondor aka the game gets good again at 90. Rohan's a drag, but I think it's th eonly way to easily continue forward from level 70 or so. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm 99% sure you get Lothlorien with Moria but Mirkwood is a separate area.

You could get to 70 in Mirkwood but the tail end of that would be a bit of a slog since you'd be overleveled for the content and be getting reduced exp. Rohan is pretty much required unless you use skirmishes to level.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Category:Regional_Quests

archaicnoise
Feb 25, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

There's an order for most valuable, though it's debatable. It basically goes:

Premium Wallet
Riding Trait (account wide version from the store)
Additional Inventory Bags
Trait Slots
Quest Packs + Expansions (every area in the game except Bree, the Shire, Ered Luin)
Crafting Guild Access

Trait slots are per character. I doubt most people drop hundreds of dollars on the game at any given time, so quest packs are usually top of the list just to unlock content since you level out of the beginning areas so quickly. It's cheaper in the short term to pay the VIP cost every month, but buying the content is equally good.

If anyone needs a kin invite, reminder to message an active officer. Grimhesric (myself), Grodhir, Nazgun, Blondii, and Dragonwort are the most active players I can think of off the top of my head.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm playing an alt Refiralin but I can always jump on my main Foxjo if adding is needed.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

I have bought 8 Housing Writs with spare coins I had from my lifetime, who should I mail them to?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Are those stat boosters still worth the points or is there a cap later on ?

Last time I played I found them quite useful for the early levels.

Also where do I buy Housing Writs ? My highest char is only level 10, can I get them at this level ? I think I checked all store tabs.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 1, 2017

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'd forgotten there was a handful of plugins for this game. There's one for seeing the craft skills on all your alts and that's making it way easier for me to route items to the alts that can use them instead of having to struggle to remember who does what, or vendor them.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I was serious about the advice on how to play a champion.

I do the tanky blue line. I like the survivability but it's a bit slow. The others seem more efficient but 1. I fear dying too quickly and 2. they seem to rely on you having good equipment, which is really not my case (at level 50 I'm using Angmarian things if only because I refuse to do the Legendary Weapon quest so that I can 100% Moria eventually (read: never)).

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I was serious about the advice on how to play a champion.

I do the tanky blue line. I like the survivability but it's a bit slow. The others seem more efficient but 1. I fear dying too quickly and 2. they seem to rely on you having good equipment, which is really not my case (at level 50 I'm using Angmarian things if only because I refuse to do the Legendary Weapon quest so that I can 100% Moria eventually (read: never)).

Whatever you think you're doing by not grabbing your LIs is misguided. Drop everything and go straight to Elrond so you can see the Fellowship off in the Moria Epic Book Intro. Then go straight to Echad Dwhateverthefuckitscalled in Eregion to start the quest that rewards your first LI. You can go back to Angmar/Forochel/ERPing at the Prancing Pony after that to begin leveling your LI. Most people do this as a matter of course the moment they hit 45.

Moria is BY FAR the best content in the entire game. Its 6 & 12-man dungeons are must-see content. Anyone that says differently has bad opinions(i.e. Sassassin). Buy the Moria expansion/quest pack immediately or just stop playing.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm just being lazy. I've done the LI thing a couple of times and I want to enter Moria in one fell swoop. I've done most of Moria already, but I want to do it full completionist. When I say never, it's that that's unlikely to happen since I have other priorities prior to that but you never know. But really I don't get the insistence of getting an LI. You run through them till end-game, that even the first one you get isn't gonna stick with you. Sure, it's better than any other weapon you can possibly have, but it's not like the worst ones won't get the job done. I'm inconveniencing myself at worst.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dick Trauma posted:

If you have $1300 worth of TP just buy all the content? It's not like you're going to run out.

If you mean you have 1300 TP then maybe get the Great River zone. If you play most of Moria you'll level there in the low 30s and just running the epic quests through mirkwork, enedwaith, and the RoI stuff will get you in to the low 70s IIRC. You aren't missing out on much by not buying the Rise of Isengard content because that area's just... not great. Mirkwood was a step down from Moria but Isengard was Turbine stumbling and falling off the quality cliff.

Brave New World posted:

Whatever you think you're doing by not grabbing your LIs is misguided. Drop everything and go straight to Elrond so you can see the Fellowship off in the Moria Epic Book Intro.

Unless this was changed in the last year that's not necessary. All you have to do is hit 45 and go talk to the NPC in Eregion.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm just being lazy. I've done the LI thing a couple of times and I want to enter Moria in one fell swoop. I've done most of Moria already, but I want to do it full completionist. When I say never, it's that that's unlikely to happen since I have other priorities prior to that but you never know. But really I don't get the insistence of getting an LI. You run through them till end-game, that even the first one you get isn't gonna stick with you. Sure, it's better than any other weapon you can possibly have, but it's not like the worst ones won't get the job done. I'm inconveniencing myself at worst.

People should drop what they're doing and get it because yes, it's far superior to anything they could possibly hope to obtain otherwise and tbh it's bad advice to tell them otherwise. There's also the gear that drops from instances starting at level 45(?) which is going to put old gear to shame since the instance drops will have vastly superior stat layouts. Though I think crafted gear is probably still fine and people running the Moria epic will get plenty of good gear from that like the move speed boots.

When I ran a champion through Moria a couple years ago I went in at 47 or 48, and left at 61 or 62 and still skipped a ton of quests and other content (went through the epic quest chain though, including "We Cannot Get Out" when everyone said it was bugged and impossible to complete). I can't imagine going in at 50+ for a 100% completion and not being bored to tears from a lack of challenge. You might be able to start quests at 45-46 in Moria but 47-48 at least ensures you don't have to deal with too many red enemies.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

I'm still puzzled how you got 1300$ in points.

A lifetime sub gives 500 points/month - so the game runs since 9 years or so, which is 500x12x9 for roughly 54000 TP.

1$ is roughly 115 points, so you must have close to 150K points, which is insane. Dang, I'm jealous, I wanted to be the kin's oligarch ;)

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Hammerstein posted:

I'm still puzzled how you got 1300$ in points.

A lifetime sub gives 500 points/month - so the game runs since 9 years or so, which is 500x12x9 for roughly 54000 TP.

1$ is roughly 115 points, so you must have close to 150K points, which is insane. Dang, I'm jealous, I wanted to be the kin's oligarch ;)

In hindsight I think he just meant 1300 lotro points as in lotro 'bucks, and now I feel bad for asking him to throw in to the island.

Also I gotta disagree about the battle of the black gate: It was cool and good. It wasn't challenging, but the story felt real and I loved it. If I were going to change it I just would have increased the live mobs that can kill you and then secretly implement some Gandalf heal at 1 morale, so you think you've almost failed but you don't actually have to re-do the whole quest.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can't imagine going in at 50+ for a 100% completion and not being bored to tears from a lack of challenge. You might be able to start quests at 45-46 in Moria but 47-48 at least ensures you don't have to deal with too many red enemies.

The lack of challenge is actually really pleasant. I just finished up the Trollshaws with this champion who started it at 49 and between that and half of the misty mountains (for which I'm no longer technically over-leveled) I've hit 50. It's nice not to worry about mobs and to finish quests comfortingly. I play and listen to podcasts at the same time and the over-levelingness allows for a pleasant stroll. Also until recently I could handle fellowship quests all on my own which was convenient. It's not a way to play that I'd recommend, but when all I want is to explore the regions and see the story it works really well. I've done the grind, so it doesn't bother me all that much.

I get challenged via my main, which is also a hunter, my favorite class to play.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Logged in, heard this band playing "Still haven't found what I'm looking for" as well as other songs and remembered again why this game is awesome....why are there no other mmos which allow people to be creative like this....

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Apr 2, 2017

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

You aren't missing out on much by not buying the Rise of Isengard content because that area's just... not great. Mirkwood was a step down from Moria but Isengard was Turbine stumbling and falling off the quality cliff.
Agreed.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unless this was changed in the last year that's not necessary. All you have to do is hit 45 and go talk to the NPC in Eregion.
I know, but it's Tolkien. We're here because of Tolkien...Right? I run it on every single character. I guess I'm just weird like that. :ms:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I will forever regret putting that $ in front of the 1300. It's just 1300 Turbine points. I'm not a LOTRO whale.

Last night I took one of my characters to Bree for the first time and there was a huge crowd in front of the pub. A big hobbit band was playing the BTO song "You ain't seen nothing yet."

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

As freshly rolled Manbear I find the hunting lodge a bit tasteless...

Also if someone gets online, please invite Valsung into the kin.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 2, 2017

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Last night I logged on my Hunter main for the first time in a couple months. The LI shimmer on her bow was definitely more FX-intensive than it was before, and I can even confirm that by comparing screenshots. I asked a kinnie if they had done an FX pass, but he wasn't sure. I later realized that this was probably only the first or second time that I've logged her in since I imbued her bow and that the increased Light Saberishness might be due to imbuement.

So Goons: Did they do an FX pass, or does Imbuement make the glow on your LIs look more awesome?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

This x2, so 20 writs mailed to Grimhesric. On the island I expect a 30 meter tall statue out of pure mithril in my honor and you better hire an artist that makes me look good.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Hammerstein posted:

As freshly rolled Manbear I find the hunting lodge a bit tasteless...

Also if someone gets online, please invite Valsung into the kin.

He's just a regular bear, as the last of your ancient unknown super race this is like seeing a poor person mounted, so it's generally acceptable.

Hammerstein posted:

This x2, so 20 writs mailed to Grimhesric. On the island I expect a 30 meter tall statue out of pure mithril in my honor and you better hire an artist that makes me look good.

Thanks again, we are close to being able to buy it once Grim is online so everyone can hold off on mailing them until we count what we've got now. I'm buying a couple once we've got a count. The statue is gonna be huge, it's gonna be great. I promise.

Brave New World posted:

Last night I logged on my Hunter main for the first time in a couple months. The LI shimmer on her bow was definitely more FX-intensive than it was before, and I can even confirm that by comparing screenshots.
So Goons: Did they do an FX pass, or does Imbuement make the glow on your LIs look more awesome?

I can confirm this was in the patch notes, though I think it was only certain damage types they felt needed an update and not every type. They also added a bug where some people get the wrong weather-glow in some areas, but they're aware of it and fixing it now.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 2, 2017

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Speaking of housing writs, do we have a neighborhood in mind?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Speaking of housing writs, do we have a neighborhood in mind?

As of me just mailing a couple to Grimhesric we are currently at 27 out of 36 needed premium housing writs, there is a single neighborhood left that has a single island left, so that narrows it down. We gotta hit 36 before someone else buys it, and the neighborhood is the only one with 3 kin halls, and it starts with a 'G' off the top of my head so that narrows it down more. But please don't just mail Grimhesric the writs without posting or confirming with someone that you have, otherwise he'll get too many and end up buying his friends mansions like Russians in '91

I don't want anyone spending their money if they don't have loads, so if anyone has a lot of points already sitting around I'd thank you kindly for pitching in, and I am going to give Hammerstein free items, gold and pipeweed for life. Everyone who donates a lot less than he did gets their own rewards, Grim and I talked about letting people choose a theme or decorate a room in the kin hall.

For the front yard we talked about one side being all of our crafting stations, and one side being big decorations. Open to ideas but all that can wait until we actually get it.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I just bought and mailed two writs to Grimhesric. And I'll put my full Bingo's Hat Rack in the new hall when there is one. A good homey hobbit room.

archaicnoise
Feb 25, 2011

extra stout posted:

But please don't just mail Grimhesric the writs without posting or confirming with someone that you have, otherwise he'll get too many and end up buying his friends mansions like Russians in '91

Gurvegil, I believe.

My Russian friends deserve mansions, too. :colbert:

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Writs mailed, that should get us to the 36

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Alright thanks extra stout. I can pick up a spare or 2 if need be. I went to check out the new housing area and the landscape is gorgeous. I didn't realize every house is going for housing writs which is a great money scheme for them.

I finally finished running through the Shaws and Misty Mountains. They're gorgeous regions and I really enjoyed the the verticality of the MM. It's a whole different type of ice than Forochel. The 2 regions seemed a bit truncated, compared to others though, I imagine they're intended to be considered as one region altogether?

I'd love to do a run through all of Helegrod either on-level with the champion, or perhaps more feasibly with a several 100's alongside my own main fighting lower level mobs. Would that be possible and how many people would one need to beat the whole thing?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Alright thanks extra stout. I can pick up a spare or 2 if need be. I went to check out the new housing area and the landscape is gorgeous. I didn't realize every house is going for housing writs which is a great money scheme for them.

I finally finished running through the Shaws and Misty Mountains. They're gorgeous regions and I really enjoyed the the verticality of the MM. It's a whole different type of ice than Forochel. The 2 regions seemed a bit truncated, compared to others though, I imagine they're intended to be considered as one region altogether?

I'd love to do a run through all of Helegrod either on-level with the champion, or perhaps more feasibly with a several 100's alongside my own main fighting lower level mobs. Would that be possible and how many people would one need to beat the whole thing?

We just got the kin island so thanks everyone for your help, no more needed. You can pay the rent with silver in game if anyone wants to chip in but I can afford that just fine.

I agree Misty Mountains never gets old, it's lower resolution, less work put into it than the style and music of Forochel probably, but it's just a more real and well described important place in the books. It feels important and old still, meeting Dwalin owns.

We could easily run Helegrod for you, just not sure what day because there's a lot of new content right now people usually focus on for their casual time in the game.

Decorating a giant barbie doll ancient Gondorian island is going to take a while but we'll get some screenshots once we get it worked out.

Anonymouse Mook posted:

Writs mailed, that should get us to the 36

Thanks a bunch! Everyone's kin travel icon is updated. Right now the vault will be overstuffed with deco for a while, so you won't be able to fit anything in it. Going to try and buy a lot of birch trees and Gondor themed stuff for starters. This thing is seriously huge. One single section of the front yard can fit every crafting facility in game and another dozen outdoor items. Thinking of putting a gazebo, trees etc on the side with the giant windmall I just put down.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 4, 2017

archaicnoise
Feb 25, 2011

Thanks to everyone who donated! The kinhall has now been moved from Thorin's Hall Homesteads to the island of Tol Falthul at the Cape of Belfalas, in the Gurvegil neighborhood.

We have so many hooks for decorations that we're barely using half of them at the moment. A bunch of the items didn't make it into escrow, including the outdoor crafting facilities. I think they were returned to their original owners, but I'm unsure. Either way, we now have our own island -- including a court, a lookout atop a peak, 200 indoor hooks, and two massive yards, one of which is filled with trees and a windmill. Officers can decorate at their leisure, we'll probably be moving a lot of things around in the next week or two. A quick reminder that there's an extra steel key and some rep accelerators in the kin chest up for grabs.

If anyone knows of a really cool statue, there's a large yard deco at the top of peak Falthul. Hoping to fill that asap.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

what's all this about a goonborhood?? I wanna, how do?

I've been needing an incentive to actually go ahead and play this, and this sounds like it. I've literally been creating/deleting characters for the past 2 evenings, totally uncertain about what exactly I wanna play in middle earth, being an obsessed fan of the setting.

I've narrowed it down to Minstrel, Man or Elf, and then I've been nerding over which name I should pick. It doesn't get any easier unless theres a goon neighborhood being planned

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I haven't played in a couple weeks (I'm Puckles), having been distracted by Battle Brothers. This weekend won't be much better with the Stellaris expansion releasing, but I'll hop on to take a look around the new kin house for sure! Great job organizing all that.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've never been able to get into LOTRO (ui scaling, mostly) but I wanted to say that seeing the last handful of posts makes me smile. I may have to give it another shot for the island-warming.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I wonder if your island will turn out anything like the Knights of the Old Republic group starship, full of flashing lights, smoke and NPC male dancers.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
That upstairs bedroom should be 1 bed and rows upon rows of seating.

Edit: I put all the outdoor craft stuff back that went into my personal storage. Let me know if it needs to be moved.

Edit 2: holy poo poo look at this fuckin moon. I'm watching it rise in real time.

alucinor fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 5, 2017

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I wonder if your island will turn out anything like the Knights of the Old Republic group starship, full of flashing lights, smoke and NPC male dancers.

They fuckin' wish it could turn out that fabulous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I love our new island it's very large. And impressive.

Finally I've stepped into Far Anorien. That first trip through to the first quest is incredible. The woods are so atmospheric and dense and the roots underfoot (practical to prevent mounted combat) give it such a great feel. I loved the pukûl-men statues everywhere. I've just spent 20 minutes riding around the woods not even going for the quest I'm so impressed by the atmosphere. Gondor is amazing.