Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-184

New FF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Happy 5th birthday, Factorio :toot:

The train optimization looks good, too.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It mentions train focused factories, which makes me want to try doing virtually everything with no belts, trains only.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It mentions train focused factories, which makes me want to try doing virtually everything with no belts, trains only.

I've done trains which offload/pickup directly into compact, dedicated, heavily newcomer logistics networks and they're insanely efficient.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Solumin posted:

One solution to brownouts is to put all the machinery for running the steam engines on a separate electrical network. This works great if you are using coal, since a couple miners and some inserters can be run off a steam engine or two. In one game I even did it solid fuel, thanks to a couple nearby oil wells.

You could probably also do something tricky with accumulators to shut down most of the network in the case of an emergency. Either way, you have to be aware of how much fuel is going to your steam engines.

I just connect my steam engine network/coal supply to everything else with a single line of electric poles. If a brownout happens, pick up one pole and the engines will put all available power to getting coal working again.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

M_Gargantua posted:

I've done trains which offload/pickup directly into compact, dedicated, heavily newcomer logistics networks and they're insanely efficient.

heavily what logistics networks?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Eschatos posted:

I just connect my steam engine network/coal supply to everything else with a single line of electric poles. If a brownout happens, pick up one pole and the engines will put all available power to getting coal working again.

I've barely hosed with logic networks, but I think you could imprecisely automate that by putting a power switch in series with the pole you'd otherwise pick up, rigged to turn off if some segment of belt between your coal miners and your boilers reports that it's empty. Once the switch flips and the available power goes to the miners, the belt should fill up enough for the switch to turn on again.

I'm sure there's a much better way to do it, but I think that'd mostly work.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

totalnewbie posted:

heavily what logistics networks?

Somehow beaconed got autocorrected...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Eschatos posted:

As Toast Museum said, you should automate that. This is Factorio, after all. I'm just not sure how you'd do it without accumulators.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Really stupid idea: have a belt with an item that constantly moves downwards and some inserters that keep moving it back up the belt. If it ever hits the bottom, you know the inserters are powered off. You'd need a bit of extra trickery to keep it working even if the power outage happens while it's moving up the inserter chain, though.

e: Actually wait, you can just have a U shape with one 'leg' longer, and a single inserter that moves it off the long leg back to the start of the short leg, then check if the item ever reaches the end of the long leg.

vOv fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 31, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just have an accumulator connected to the circuit network and if the charge falls to zero start disconnecting non essential loads.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Alternately, route coal through a central storage area and if coal throughput falls off and the coal stockpile runs low, trip a power switch.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Connect a train signal to an accumulator, when the accumulator hits 0 release the train and it runs you over

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Evilreaver posted:

Connect a train signal to an accumulator, when the accumulator hits 0 release the train and it runs you over

drat. Now I want to create the reverse of a safe crossing gate and make a trap that locks in whoever walks into it (on a timer, so that it resets itself) and either set it up with a busy train network or its own dedicated death machine.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Set up a factorio trolley problem where biters are trapped within walls that are being automatically repaired by robots to keep them in place.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
It's probably unnecessary, but here's an idea: keep a little of your coal patch on burner miners, but keep the belt they feed turned off until your brownout/blackout condition is met, at which point they can load up the burners at full speed.

If you've got burner miners helping with the bootstrapping, it might also make sense to have another switch to give the inserters between the rows of boilers even higher priority than the electric miners; that way the miners won't brownout the inserters and slow down full recovery.

Edit: Something like this, with some logic at its outlet to keep the belt from moving until the burner miners are needed.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you ever brownout once, you usually don't again. Its so easy to overprovide for anything that isn't a super factory so that you always have accumulators for laser turrets (or forgo them for flamers) and always have a warehouse full of coal/solid fuel for when you are prospecting new sites after the last stopped cutting it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Toast Museum posted:

It's probably unnecessary, but here's an idea: keep a little of your coal patch on burner miners, but keep the belt they feed turned off until your brownout/blackout condition is met, at which point they can load up the burners at full speed.

If you've got burner miners helping with the bootstrapping, it might also make sense to have another switch to give the inserters between the rows of boilers even higher priority than the electric miners; that way the miners won't brownout the inserters and slow down full recovery.

Edit: Something like this, with some logic at its outlet to keep the belt from moving until the burner miners are needed.

No switching needed, just have that side-load into a belt that should be kept 100% full by your normal mining system. Combinators require power to change state, if your power loss is sudden and severe enough they may not trigger.

On a similar note, here's the 100% passive system I use on my reactors (demo setup, the purple accumulators are a 40 MW test load):

The orange and white valves are overflow/top-up valves to take hot water from the aux (grey) engine pipes from running reactors. If no reactor is running, the idle pump drain will eventually drop the hot water level below 80%, at which point the coal-fired backup on the left will take over. That's also what's used to prime the reactor system when it's first constructed.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 1, 2017

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

GotLag posted:

No switching needed, just have that side-load into a belt that should be kept 100% full by your normal mining system. Combinators require power to change state, if your power loss is sudden and severe enough they may not trigger.

I was trying to avoid running the burners before they were definitely needed, but I didn't realize the combinators needed electricity.

Now that I think about it, if you don't care about the pollution difference, is there any reason to switch to electric miners for coal in the first place? They're faster, but the extra speed doesn't seem necessary unless you're feeding an absolute shitload of boilers. Sticking with burners on coal avoids the brownout feedback loop entirely.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Electric drillers cover a lot more space, so they can scoop under the belts and power poles you have down. Burner drillers can't, so you either have to dig up the entire rig or leave a bunch of unmined coal on the table.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
MagmaMcFry has released a new ground-up rewrite of Factorissimo called Factorissimo2, which comes complete with an imgur gallery of features and a bunch of FAQs. I'm excited to get in and play around with them soon.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Ignoranus posted:

MagmaMcFry has released a new ground-up rewrite of Factorissimo called Factorissimo2, which comes complete with an imgur gallery of features and a bunch of FAQs. I'm excited to get in and play around with them soon.

I dropped that into a game I had in the early stages (to test Pyanons coal mod) last night to look at when I saw it on the portal. I like the tech tree changes, rather than 1 tech gets you everything you add the features you want first and have the option to ignore things you don't need. There's no differentiation between power and building things any more - you just switch the electricity flow direction from inside the factory.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Ratzap posted:

I dropped that into a game I had in the early stages (to test Pyanons coal mod) last night to look at when I saw it on the portal. I like the tech tree changes, rather than 1 tech gets you everything you add the features you want first and have the option to ignore things you don't need. There's no differentiation between power and building things any more - you just switch the electricity flow direction from inside the factory.

Yeah, he also incorporated the "moving stuff inside via chests" method that some other copy of Factorissimo (Factory Buildings, I think?) had been using, which is really nice because then there's effectively sideways support for loaders, too.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
I handled the dead power issue by having a small isolated network that only included the inserters (at least one burner as insurance) and a miner, and maybe a solar panel or two.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Ratzap posted:

I'm converting my current save over to it. It's a good exercise in rethinking change, since the Mk1 buildings are smaller inside and larger outside than the v1.0 of the mod, so you can't just rip and replace right away.

Forewarning though: If you use the deconstruction planner to pick up a Mk3 factory (1k plate, 5k concrete and 100 substations!), it will turn it into... a mk1 factory. :downs:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

DelphiAegis posted:

I'm converting my current save over to it. It's a good exercise in rethinking change, since the Mk1 buildings are smaller inside and larger outside than the v1.0 of the mod, so you can't just rip and replace right away.

Forewarning though: If you use the deconstruction planner to pick up a Mk3 factory (1k plate, 5k concrete and 100 substations!), it will turn it into... a mk1 factory. :downs:

Not a fun way to find out. Does it work if you pick it up normally? You might want to post that as a bug if no-one else has. The connections to buildings are different too which is why I picked an early game save rather than try to replace working factories.

Edit: Looks like a new version was posted just after I wrote this which fixes the bug and gives back lost mk3 buildings.

Ratzap fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 2, 2017

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Having gotten totally addicted to this game, I thought it would be fun to get a few friends onto a server on an EC2 server. I log in and get things rolling, and come back a day later to find my friends have built the most :stonk: poo poo I've ever seen. Yellow belts everywhere, despite the fact I have a system to up-convert any belt to blue. Stone furnaces next to electric furnaces. Burner inserters 'cause why not, I guess? Level one assemblers on the same line as level threes. Ugh.

I feel like I learned something about few of them.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

NeuralSpark posted:

Having gotten totally addicted to this game, I thought it would be fun to get a few friends onto a server on an EC2 server. I log in and get things rolling, and come back a day later to find my friends have built the most :stonk: poo poo I've ever seen. Yellow belts everywhere, despite the fact I have a system to up-convert any belt to blue. Stone furnaces next to electric furnaces. Burner inserters 'cause why not, I guess? Level one assemblers on the same line as level threes. Ugh.

I feel like I learned something about few of them.

This is why I can't deal with unstructured multiplayer games. My OCD gets triggered so hard, plus different ways people tackle problems (especially if they're inefficient) make me feel bad inside.

Only time I'd consider Multiplayer was if there was a cohesive level of work, and people would take on tasks and stick with it until it was finished (so you don't end up with half-finished projects that just make the factory look even uglier). "Alright Bob, I'ma overhaul the furnace area to make it run smoother and allow for expansion in the future" "Ok cool, I'll work on future-proofing our steam engine area". Most MP games have had little to no communication and everyone just messing with everyone else's stuff. RIP.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Loopoo posted:

This is why I can't deal with unstructured multiplayer games. My OCD gets triggered so hard, plus different ways people tackle problems (especially if they're inefficient) make me feel bad inside.

Only time I'd consider Multiplayer was if there was a cohesive level of work, and people would take on tasks and stick with it until it was finished (so you don't end up with half-finished projects that just make the factory look even uglier). "Alright Bob, I'ma overhaul the furnace area to make it run smoother and allow for expansion in the future" "Ok cool, I'll work on future-proofing our steam engine area". Most MP games have had little to no communication and everyone just messing with everyone else's stuff. RIP.

That's how my friend and I play. We (not purposefully) ended up with particular 'roles' in the game, e.g. I'd be putting together the science production while he expanded the electricity and smelting.
It's not easy to find people to work with though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Solumin posted:

That's how my friend and I play. We (not purposefully) ended up with particular 'roles' in the game, e.g. I'd be putting together the science production while he expanded the electricity and smelting.
It's not easy to find people to work with though.

Aye, having certain roles is fun. I prefer when roles are changeable, I'd get super bored if I was stuck on Science throughout the game. It's nice to switch up to something else, but it's all about commitment: if you start something, finish it, or at least let everyone know you're having trouble and need help. Causes some serious head scratching when 3 hours later, you find a semi-finished project and everyone has forgotten what it was set out to achieve.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
To be clear, we don't go in with a definite plan or strictly assigned roles, that's just how it shakes out in every game we play. And since we've each done it so much, we're good at those particular roles. In more recent games, we've gone out of our way to switch it up so we don't get bored!
So I'm not stuck on science for the whole game, I just happen to really enjoy piecing factories together, and science is the first major production line in the game.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I tried multiplayer with friends. We put on a couple of mods, RSO, angels, black box. Peaceful mode

I spent 2 hours setting up an outpost that they could run a train to. Everything stockpiling, all good, log off for the night. Logged in the next day, they'd completed the entire tech tree and hadn't bothered to run a train to my outpost. Nothing more to do. I now only play Factorio if we agree to all log off at the same time, because it kinda sucks doing the busywork and logging on the next day to find they've already perfectly set up everything else because they don't sleep/work.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Latest Twitter post https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-185

Can't wait for release!!!!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Lorini posted:

Latest Twitter post https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-185

Can't wait for release!!!!

If you want to waste some time before then and you like being bored you could try Sea Pack. It's the best tedium simulator mod for Factorio yet. The idea is you start on a 2x2 square of dirt in an endless ocean. You have some landfill and enough buildings plus materials to very slowly make more land. There are no ores as it uses Angels/bobs to get everything from algae farming and so on. If you keep at it you might have some inserters after a few hours. I worked out how to get a chain going for fuel and ore but the prospect of doing it was less interesting than watching paint dry.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
That sounds miserable but the SpaceX mod in that modpack (https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=40288) sounds really cool.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

FISHMANPET posted:

That sounds miserable but the SpaceX mod in that modpack (https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=40288) sounds really cool.

It was a pretty uninteresting hour I gave it yes. I posted in the mod thread and apparently that's the way it's supposed to work so you can excitedly build inserters once you get ore filtering from the slag chain going.

The Space-X one does sound good but getting that far with Seapack is not something I wish to experience. This mod has been put on the portal today

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Darkcry/TeamCoop

I saw the author post about it months ago so I'm glad he finished it off for release. It should make for interesting MP games.

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

Ratzap posted:

It was a pretty uninteresting hour I gave it yes. I posted in the mod thread and apparently that's the way it's supposed to work so you can excitedly build inserters once you get ore filtering from the slag chain going.

The Space-X one does sound good but getting that far with Seapack is not something I wish to experience. This mod has been put on the portal today

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Darkcry/TeamCoop

I saw the author post about it months ago so I'm glad he finished it off for release. It should make for interesting MP games.

This seems like the exact opposite of teams or cooperative play, if everyone is on their own individual team.

Someone a few pages back mentioned KeepCraft, could this be a similar implementation of that if we had 2-3 teams?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

FISHMANPET posted:

Space-X is great if you're after a more challenging end-game. I highly recommend adding most or all of the Bob's mods to it so you can get +500% speed +300% productivity science pack factories & research labs. Just don't combine it with the Bob's mod that adds different colored alien artifacts. In my last game the Space-X fusion reactor required 100 tier 4 portable fusion reactors, and each one of those needed 15 of each color artifacts, which only drop from highly advanced biter nests at a fraction of the rate that regular artifacts do.

After researching & building everything else I spent another few hours just wiping out biter bases with my 20 orbital ion cannons just to get enough of the colored artifacts to drop.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Nevets posted:

Space-X is great if you're after a more challenging end-game. I highly recommend adding most or all of the Bob's mods to it so you can get +500% speed +300% productivity science pack factories & research labs. Just don't combine it with the Bob's mod that adds different colored alien artifacts. In my last game the Space-X fusion reactor required 100 tier 4 portable fusion reactors, and each one of those needed 15 of each color artifacts, which only drop from highly advanced biter nests at a fraction of the rate that regular artifacts do.

After researching & building everything else I spent another few hours just wiping out biter bases with my 20 orbital ion cannons just to get enough of the colored artifacts to drop.

Doesn't Bobs also make the biters drop little artifact fragments you can assemble into full sized ones? Last time I played bobs I remember building a mining outpost full of pollution modules and surrounded by turrets and walls and an elaborate belt system to collect the entrails of the endless waves of enraged biters it attracted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Yeah, I tried setting something like that up too, but realized that I would have had to do it 20+ hours earlier for it to have collected enough pieces to save me time over just wiping out biter bases with ion cannons and personal lasers.