Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I think of the McElroys, and most MaxFun podcasts, as being this sort of Kind Comedy, where the jokes are mostly positive and the targets of derision are folks like Slimefoot and people who try to ask out retail workers.

Also today I saw a person take their opened, just warmed-up lunch into the public bathroom and had a major Griffin-like moment of horror and disgust.

Serf fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I voted for Donald Trump because he is going to build a wall between America and France, and the jugglers are going to pay for it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Idk how you guys can support the McElroys after the way they have treated jugglers

those people are goddamn parasites and frankly I don't want one dating my daughter there I said it

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think my favorite example of the boys and their ability to be funny without being mean is the tickle fetish guy. It'd be so much easier to laugh at the tickle fetish guy but instead they put themselves in his shoes and imagine how rough it would be to get a boner from being tickled. They bring the tickle fetish guy into the circle and that's the best example of laughing with someone and not at them.

People act like it's extremely hard to make jokes without the PC police coming down to ruin your fun bit it's actually not that hard if you aren't a huge gently caress head

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

those people are goddamn parasites and frankly I don't want one dating my daughter there I said it

Now fushigi artists on the other hand, that's wholesome entertainment that is worth endorsing

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

purple death ray posted:

I think my favorite example of the boys and their ability to be funny without being mean is the tickle fetish guy. It'd be so much easier to laugh at the tickle fetish guy but instead they put themselves in his shoes and imagine how rough it would be to get a boner from being tickled. They bring the tickle fetish guy into the circle and that's the best example of laughing with someone and not at them.

People act like it's extremely hard to make jokes without the PC police coming down to ruin your fun bit it's actually not that hard if you aren't a huge gently caress head

Paul F Tompkins did a pretty good video about this where at the end he basically broke it down if anything the "PC police" actually push comedy forward in that it keeps people from being lazy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Snooze Cruise posted:

Paul F Tompkins did a pretty good video about this where at the end he basically broke it down if anything the "PC police" actually push comedy forward in that it keeps people from being lazy.

Yea he and...I wanna say Stewart Lee both have great jokes that revolve around 'if you think you can't make any joke without ~the PC police~ attacking you that just means you suck as a comic'. There's also another dude who did a great thing on the whole 'it was just a joke' thing that was just around 'if you have to SAY 'it was a joke' then that joke sucks'.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 31, 2017

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Tears In A Vial posted:

McElroy fans are still the worst part about being a McElroy fan.

______ fans are always the worst part about being a ______ fan.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

sexpig by night posted:

my only issue with this is because the WWE is rigid and stupid with inter-gender stuff even in fantasy games Final Pam will not be able to just wreck every single other Precious Children

I played the WWE games more than I'd even like to admit and unless I have the worst memory, custom women characters can do all the same poo poo and same matches as male characters. I won the Royal Rumble many a time.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Scudworth posted:

I played the WWE games more than I'd even like to admit and unless I have the worst memory, custom women characters can do all the same poo poo and same matches as male characters. I won the Royal Rumble many a time.

It sounds like sexpig by night is saying that wrestlers can only cilmb into the same ring as other wrestlers of the same gender. So The Final Pam could beat up Turbovicki but not Borth Sampson, and Daz could fight The Junker but not DJ Slime Time. No Monster Factory Battle Royale. :(

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea they may open things up for Battle Royales and all but unless the newest game changed things with no fanfare you can't put a diva and dude in the same match.

Maybe it's for the best Final Pam is safely contained though

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Unfair that Randy Johnson gets to wrestle the boys

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Unfair that Randy Johnson gets to wrestle the boys

R.I.P. Toucan Dan

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Ariong posted:

It sounds like you didn't actually listen to the latest TTAZZ.

Oh dip!!!!

I did, actually. Griffin said some people heard the name Taako and assumed Taako must be latino. That's dumb as hell and anyone whose headcanon is a latino Taako because his name is Taako is a terrible person who should not be acknowledged or pandered to.

I'd like to meet the actually latin@ person who heard Justin make a goofy name for his wizard and went "FINALLY A CHARACTER I CAN RELATE TO" because if that really happened then race relations in the US are worse than I thought.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I did, actually. Griffin said some people heard the name Taako and assumed Taako must be latino. That's dumb as hell and anyone whose headcanon is a latino Taako because his name is Taako is a terrible person who should not be acknowledged or pandered to.

I'd like to meet the actually latin@ person who heard Justin make a goofy name for his wizard and went "FINALLY A CHARACTER I CAN RELATE TO" because if that really happened then race relations in the US are worse than I thought.

this is the thing, like Justin came up with a dumb name because he prolly hit up a fuckin chipotle for lunch before they started recording and he saw the wrapper on his desk. That's all the thought that went into it.

He's a high elf, with long hair, a slight build, no facial hair and he's fuckin gorgeous. That's all the info we have. If you wanna draw a picture of him fat, or short, or dark skinned or from fantasy-mexico that's cool, thats on you, but sending angry tweets like juice did that to you, he didn't.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

A Pinball Wizard posted:

If you're looking for a podcast run by people who would ever say something like this, you have come to the wrong place. Like, is this really the attitude you want them to have? Is that the tone you're looking for?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ariong posted:

If you're looking for a podcast run by people who would ever say something like this, you have come to the wrong place. Like, is this really the attitude you want them to have? Is that the tone you're looking for?

I can't imagine them ever saying anything like your post, either.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I've just had enough of people trying to make other people feel bad.

EDIT: Sorry if I came across as rude. It just rubs me the wrong way when people are like "The McElroys should really stop being nice to *insert person/group here*" like, no, they should keep being nice people.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 1, 2017

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I don't think they should be nice to the kind of idiot who thinks "he must be latino because his name is Taako and I am offended by this", yes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

sticklefifer posted:

______ fans are always the worst part about being a ______ fan.
Ask me about Homestuck.

Ariong posted:

I've just had enough of people trying to make other people feel bad.

EDIT: Sorry if I came across as rude. It just rubs me the wrong way when people are like "The McElroys should really stop being nice to *insert person/group here*" like, no, they should keep being nice people.
Exactly. I agree with everything you say. The McElroys have said, explicitly, that they're trying to get better at being kind. One of them even said in an interview that whenever somebody says something he passionately disagrees with, he says, "Well, you could be right.". That is the kind of people they are and are choosing to become.

pee out my butt posted:

I don't think they should be nice to the kind of idiot who thinks "he must be latino because his name is Taako and I am offended by this", yes.
I think "Whoa, I hurt somebody, I should back up, apologize, and not do it again" is a fundamentally admirable reaction. There are lots of comedians who are edgy; there are very, very few whose humor comes from kindness and acceptance.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

pee out my butt posted:

That's probably why they have a successful comedy podcast and you don't.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
No, that's probably because they're very funny

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If you find yourself continuously angry that the McElroys wanted to be nice to some people and ensure their fun adventure podcast doesn't bum anyone out, maybe ask what the deal is with the massive loving chip on your shoulder?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ask me about Homestuck.

Exactly. I agree with everything you say. The McElroys have said, explicitly, that they're trying to get better at being kind. One of them even said in an interview that whenever somebody says something he passionately disagrees with, he says, "Well, you could be right.". That is the kind of people they are and are choosing to become.

I think "Whoa, I hurt somebody, I should back up, apologize, and not do it again" is a fundamentally admirable reaction. There are lots of comedians who are edgy; there are very, very few whose humor comes from kindness and acceptance.

Exactly! Is it a silly thing to feel bad because of? Maybe, but the fact that the McElboys still show compassion is very endearing!

Dr. Stab posted:

That's probably why they have a successful comedy podcast and you don't.

Supercar Gautier posted:

If you find yourself continuously angry that the McElroys wanted to be nice to some people and ensure their fun adventure podcast doesn't bum anyone out, maybe ask what the deal is with the massive loving chip on your shoulder?

Aw c'mon now. No need for that.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think the main thing that I don't like about TAZ is that the main characters are huge assholes and I sometimes have trouble believing they care about anything that is actually going on in the story.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

Good lord. Do you really think that this is what people are taking issue with?

You're not putting yourself in the shoes of the people who probably value the McElroy's genuine niceness and therefore don't like it when things happen that make them feel like that niceness might be being taken for granted. Because you know the bros genuinely feel bad over these things.

Who wants the McElroys feeling bad over an obviously not callously-intentioned goof?

You're all talking about how great it is that the McElroys listen to other viewpoints while chastising people for having other viewpoints.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

Good lord. Do you really think that this is what people are taking issue with?

You're not putting yourself in the shoes of the people who probably value the McElroy's genuine niceness and therefore don't like it when things happen that make them feel like that niceness might be being taken for granted. Because you know the bros genuinely feel bad over these things.

Who wants the McElroys feeling bad over an obviously not callously-intentioned goof?

You're all talking about how great it is that the McElroys listen to other viewpoints while chastising people for having other viewpoints.

NO, DOWN INTO THE HUG BUCKET

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Supercar Gautier posted:

Your metrics for what continuous anger and massive shoulder chips consist of in posts is a little off.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I think the main thing that I don't like about TAZ is that the main characters are huge assholes and I sometimes have trouble believing they care about anything that is actually going on in the story.

Taako is a huge rear end in a top hat, but he can be unexpectedly kind: see the certificate he gave to the woman in Petals to the Metal. Magnus is very sweet, and I would have said that even before I found out about his backstory. I cannot separate my feelings for Merle from my feelings for Clint, who is just painfully adorable even by McElroy standards.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

merle tried to make tom bodett commit suicide by train

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

this week's Touch The Skyrim is incredible

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Alaois posted:

NO, DOWN INTO THE HUG BUCKET

Finally someone understands.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

They can all be jerks, but I kinda like it, but it does play at odds with some of the higher emotion scenes.

I loved seeing all this heartfelt fanart for the show before I started listening and then I got treated to the guys asking an old lady to slap a young boy who was crying because he was relieved they weren't dead.

I mean it, I love that the fans do such good stuff about a trio that tried to non lethally cleft a man in twain.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mercury Hat posted:

They can all be jerks, but I kinda like it, but it does play at odds with some of the higher emotion scenes.

I loved seeing all this heartfelt fanart for the show before I started listening and then I got treated to the guys asking an old lady to slap a young boy who was crying because he was relieved they weren't dead.

I mean it, I love that the fans do such good stuff about a trio that tried to non lethally cleft a man in twain.

They're the sweetest emotionally abusive trio in the land

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It has gone down as they have become more invested in the world. However, I'm glad they never lost sight of that essential character trait (see: Taako feeling 0 remorse for hitting Forsake)

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Alaois posted:

merle tried to make tom bodett commit suicide by train

Probably the funniest joke in the show

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Drunkboxer posted:

Probably the funniest joke in the show

No matter how many times I hear that clip it gets me laughing every drat time. Their dad is the best.

Also RE; Them being assholes. My favorite part of crystal kingdom was them just making GBS threads on lucas non-stop. He was a huge rear end in a top hat to the void fish though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/griffinmcelroy/status/847983473092644864

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

If only Honda could work on an F1 engine that actually worked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013
I don't care about the name change because it was a dumb joke and Lup has not once been referred to as "Chalupa" anyway, but it takes a pretty broken mind to imagine a racist thing and then get mad at the McElroys for it.

Deport The Irish fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 1, 2017