Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Hughlander posted:

This was just answered in his AMA

On the one hand, I kinda like her sense of humor and I agree that she shouldn't be punished for her bad taste in men, or for sobering up. On the other hand he reminds me of a friend who insisted to bring his ex to a party, despite (or due to) the fact that they broke up 2 hours ago. You can imagine how well that turned out.

What I'm saying is that I doubt they make it through a whole season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

cant cook creole bream posted:

On the one hand, I kinda like her sense of humor and I agree that she shouldn't be punished for her bad taste in men, or for sobering up. On the other hand he reminds me of a friend who insisted to bring his ex to a party, despite (or due to) the fact that they broke up 2 hours ago. You can imagine how well that turned out.

What I'm saying is that I doubt they make it through a whole season.

I assume its game show rules. The entire season is recorded over 2 days max.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, it's probably less terrible than it sounds. I don't think they'd waste time with redoing takes either, since it's supposed to be spontaneous interactions.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
A lot of people had a big stick up their bums about Erin with vague criticism that I didn't really get. Maybe that's part of the reason why he's avoided bringing his new girlfriend onto Harmontown, though who knows if she would even want to anyway.

Also something that annoys me sorta slightly but not really, his new girlfriend and I share the same name, which is a pretty uncommon one. Freaks me out a bit whenever he talks about her.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hughlander posted:

I assume its game show rules. The entire season is recorded over 2 days max.

For the first run of Harmonquest, they did two shows a night. (I think the shows were 45 minutes long and then edited down to 30 for the episodes.)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Dear Community Thread,

A lot of season 4 isn't as bad as I remembered.

Love,
Colin

P.S., Except for the puppet episode.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

CPColin posted:

Dear Community Thread,

Love,
Colin

Are that loving finale and the 2nd German study group episode still infuriatingly awful?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The German one was probably still bad. Recasting Nick Kroll, ugh. The finale is next. I remember it being particularly bad, so we'll see. For the most part, episodes are pretty middling. It's the higher-concept stuff that's a problem, because the setups are even less grounded than season 3's concept episodes were.

At one point, Abed chips in with an unexplained voiceover. In the Chicken Fingers episode, it was because he was retelling the story to the Dean. In season 4? Nope, just a random voiceover.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

CPColin posted:

Dear Community Thread,

Love,
Colin

You're wrong and you should check to make sure you don't have a gas leak in your home. They all sucked, except maaaybe the Freaky Friday episode written by Jim Rash.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They're all pretty forgettable, but about half of them are mostly just "fine." I didn't like the Freaky Friday one on my first watch, because I couldn't tell if the characters actually believed it or not. I must not have been paying much attention at the time, because on the rewatch, it's obvious Troy is trying to hide from his feelings and Abed is playing along. Meanwhile, the Dean just wants to be as cool as Jeff and Jim Rash absolutely nails the impression.

The finale is still garbage, though. When Evil Jeff shows up, the viewer has to say, "Well this obviously isn't actually happening." but there are no clues that it's all in Jeff's head, so the whole episode comes off as being pointless.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I haven't seen it mentioned here yet. But for anyone that missed the Golden Globes, Dong Lover got two awards, for best actor and for best comedy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hmmmm, maybe I should watch that show of his.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

CPColin posted:

The finale is still garbage, though. When Evil Jeff shows up, the viewer has to say, "Well this obviously isn't actually happening." but there are no clues that it's all in Jeff's head, so the whole episode comes off as being pointless.

I've always wanted to take Season 4 and cut all the poo poo. Only keep things that absolutely necessary for the narrative of the season or future references (like Brie Larson's character) and see how much it improves things.

For example, if you take the awful finale and cut immediately from when Jeff first lifts the dice to the end of the dumb alternative dimension daydream, you end up with a decent 10 minute episode. You lose only one good line (Troy exclaiming "must I bear this cross forever"), but it's worth it if it means getting rid of all the pointless filler in the finale. Do that to all 13 episodes, and you could probably salvage six episodes worth of inoffensively average content.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Intro to Recycled Cinema is worse than most of s4 imo

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Escobarbarian posted:

Agreed. Worst ep of Community. There's just something about purposely bad/lame things that falls very very flat for me.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Escobarbarian posted:

Is that the episode where Abed makes a movie and acts like he's Jesus? That one was terrible.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

prefect posted:

Is that the episode where Abed makes a movie and acts like he's Jesus? That one was terrible.

Its the one with Ham Giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirl Chang. They try to make a movie from like 10 seconds of footage. Its not good.

Messianic Myths and Ancient Peoples is the Abed God documentary one.

I think it was a bit straightforward in how it played and what the outcomes were but I still think its a solid episode.
Also I liked the Pierce storyline where he hangs with Leonards crew because hes lonely.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

prefect posted:

That's Messianic Myths and Ancient Peoples from season 2, and in my experience, people who were raised Catholic tend to think it's great. They're taking about the season 6 episode where they make a sci-fi movie using bits of footage of Chang after Chang gets briefly famous.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cerepol posted:

Its the one with Ham Giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirl Chang. They try to make a movie from like 10 seconds of footage. Its not good.

Messianic Myths and Ancient Peoples is the Abed God documentary one.

I think it was a bit straightforward in how it played and what the outcomes were but I still think its a solid episode.
Also I liked the Pierce storyline where he hangs with Leonards crew because hes lonely.

Sefer posted:

That's Messianic Myths and Ancient Peoples from season 2, and in my experience, people who were raised Catholic tend to think it's great. They're taking about the season 6 episode where they make a sci-fi movie using bits of footage of Chang after Chang gets briefly famous.

Thanks for the info. :tipshat:

And yeah, now that I'm reminded of the Pierce-and-Leonard thing, that was fun. I just did not care about the "post-modern Jesus" business. (No, not raised Catholic. :) )

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

prefect posted:

Thanks for the info. :tipshat:

And yeah, now that I'm reminded of the Pierce-and-Leonard thing, that was fun. I just did not care about the "post-modern Jesus" business. (No, not raised Catholic. :) )

Basically carried by the B storyline.

I guess I just like the fact that at some point they tried to figure out how to pair Abed and Shirley and thats what they came up with.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Season 6 was Community after its prime, after more than its fair share of people had left and after a great deal of stories have already been told. In addition, they tried to do some new things with the editing that really didn't work, but I don't blame them, really - they never expected to do a Season 6 (it got renewed on the last possible day) and really did it more out of a sense of obligation. Season 4 was during Community's prime when they still had all the original actors and they could have told some amazing stories - but they threw away Dan Harmon.

Season 4 is poo poo and Season 6 is overdone and bittersweet with some nice moments and a great finale.

If you really want to know how bad season 4 was, watch season 5. See how much better that is.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 20, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish they would release a Community blu ray series boxed set.

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013
Dan Harmon would have NEVER signed off on "AbedTV" as Abed's headspace during s04e01.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The commentary track on Total Rickall suggests that Dan is pretty touchy when it comes to how 4th wall breaking or meta stuff is presented.

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.

Sefer posted:

That's Messianic Myths and Ancient Peoples from season 2, and in my experience, people who were raised Catholic tend to think it's great.

That makes a lot of sense. I was raised Catholic, and I really liked that episode.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010

Last Chance posted:

check to make sure you don't have a gas leak in your home.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The commentary track on Total Rickall suggests that Dan is pretty touchy when it comes to how 4th wall breaking or meta stuff is presented.

I mean, it makes perfect sense because when it's not done well, it's hokey, janky crap. Even Dan made some bad 4th wall/meta stuff.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The worst 4th wall break in community is "we finally found a way to make paintball cool again!" in a really uncool poo poo episode

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Hedrigall posted:

The worst 4th wall break in community is "we finally found a way to make paintball cool again!" in a really uncool poo poo episode

The line really is the culmination of season 4.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Well, there was always an in-universe justification for fourth-wall-breaking lines and stuff in Community, whereas Rick straight up breaks the fourth wall probably cos he knows he's in a TV show.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dr. Ken had a bunch of Community cameos tonight. Ken was cast as Chang by Dan Harmon in the episode.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I just saw that too. Looks like I will be watching my first (and probably last) episode of Dr. Ken tonight.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I've seen an episode before. I'm shocked it was still on the air. Everyone in it was awful, but maybe that's just a limitation of the form.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
At the time Community's fourth season was airing I was like "okay, this is acceptable", because Dan Harmon was gone and not coming back and I still liked the cast and just needed a nice final lap around the track.

Then of course Harmon did come back, and seeing the repeats, in the context of the whole series, the episodes just are really not very good. They all feel just a little underdone.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Maxwell Lord posted:

At the time Community's fourth season was airing I was like "okay, this is acceptable", because Dan Harmon was gone and not coming back and I still liked the cast and just needed a nice final lap around the track.

Then of course Harmon did come back, and seeing the repeats, in the context of the whole series, the episodes just are really not very good. They all feel just a little underdone.

I remember convincing myself the finale was okay when looking back holy loving poo poo it's so bad

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

A cast photo from the alternate timeline where Community is entering season 8.
https://twitter.com/DrKenABC/status/847969601782722562

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Same. I was one of those defending Season 4 as it was airing. I think I genuinely enjoyed it.

On a rewatch it just doesn't hold up

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

So I just watched Dr Ken.

It was not funny, but it was worth it to see Vicky, Leonard, and Garrett again.

Edit, EFB

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Haha is the Garrett guy playing the Jeff character? If so that's brilliant (I will still never watch Dr Ken)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Spacebump posted:

Dr. Ken had a bunch of Community cameos tonight. Ken was cast as Chang by Dan Harmon in the episode.

That show is horrible blight on humanity and should've been put down within the first minute of air time. It's worse than The Great Indoors by a mile and that show is unbearable.

• Locked thread