Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Joss Whedon is directing a Batgirl movie. He's a strong feminist right? Should be smooth sailing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Joss Whedon is directing a Batgirl movie. He's a strong feminist right? Should be smooth sailing.

Oh god.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That's not a can of worms that needs to be opened in this thread. CD is right around the corner.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought we could go back to talking about his show about the women mind slaves but they do kung fu

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can we just add No Whedon to the rules? He's a perfectly good writer that some people just lose their loving minds over.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I'm so glad that Sepinwall talked about 13 Reasons Why so much, it really is a great show so far (2 episodes in). Anyone else watching?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No but read the first two paragraphs of Sepinwall's review and I am DOWN

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

X-O posted:

As much as I love Review I don't think it stuck the ending at all. I enjoyed the first two episodes of this season quite a bit but if this last episode was the best ending they could come up with they should have ended it last season. It was flat and completely anti climactic. I understand what they were going for but it just didn't land at all.

And no, I didn't want a happy ending or anything, I think that would have felt unearned after all the poo poo Forest has done. But the ending we got was just a big nothing.

I legitimately thought this was a six-episode season, so I wasn't expecting quite the rapid progression from point to point. It sounds like from interviews to a certain extent that's what they were going for, disrupting people's expectations of how a plot would progress, Forrest's murder charge being essentially killed off off-camera being the biggest example.

It seems like it just moved so fast that the sheer insanity of the progression never had time to sink in. I loved how dark that ending was, but it feels like it might've landed better if, say, reviews 2 and 3 in that episode were actually review 3 of one episode and then review 3 of the following? You hardly got any time to register what an awful, evil thing Grant did only to have the rug pulled out from under it about 2 minutes later.

More than anything I'm impressed with the show and the network's willingness to come back for such a short exclamation point on the show. I love when a show sticks to a vision like that.

I thought it was nice of them to work in the original Reviewer for the finale, too.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

STAC Goat posted:

Making History is an ok little comedy but its nothing special. Its a weird enough premise to maybe check out. Basically, a stupid college janitor finds a time machine and uses it to get a girlfriend in Colonial times but recruits a history professor when he accidently stops the Revolutionary War. Its dumb and not especially good, but ok enough and weird enough that I keep watching.

I think its going to be really good. Adam Pally can be really hilarious, so I am glad he has something. I think the problem with Making History is that they should have shown the first two episodes back to back as an hour long pilot. As a result, the show just feels slow, and I don't think I would feel that way if the first two establishing episodes were gotten out of the way more quickly.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I just wish it would figure out how seriously it wants to take the time travel. I realize this makes me That Guy but the way they write the people from the 1700s ping-pongs between going for some semblance of accuracy and weird winking acknowledgment that they're in the past, kind of. And the lady they take with them to the present might as well be Kimmy Schmidt, her being from the 1700s doesn't seem to really have a direct effect on her general "super-naïve" archetype.

The end of the most recent episode indicated that they do, in fact, plan on having some rules in place, so there's that. I'm still giving it a shot, because as you said, it's not earth-shattering, but it is funny in spurts. It just feels like it's still figuring out just what kind of show it wants to be, and I guess I'm annoyed because if you boil it down to them weighing two choices, there's one show I'd watch and one show I wouldn't that it's bouncing between.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

As much as I love Review I don't think it stuck the ending at all. I enjoyed the first two episodes of this season quite a bit but if this last episode was the best ending they could come up with they should have ended it last season. It was flat and completely anti climactic. I understand what they were going for but it just didn't land at all.

And no, I didn't want a happy ending or anything, I think that would have felt unearned after all the poo poo Forest has done. But the ending we got was just a big nothing.

I expected something more like Porkin' Across the USA. This ending fell pretty flat for me.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I thought the Review finale was perfect. It summed up the series with a feeling of there all is aching.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
While I was hoping for a more climatic ending to Review what we got was bleak and sorta unexpectedly meta in several ways. I liked it for what it was at least.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

For the Review finale, I thought he'd have to start selfie filming himself since the show was canceled, but he kept getting filmed somehow, and his final star rating for Pranks went up on the board. I don't know, maybe that's just me being pedantic. Overall I agree the ending was a little unsatisfying, the stuff with Grant didn't really pay off for me. Like, Grant clearly hates him but actually did let him move in with him, why? He didn't seem to be secretly undermining Forrest at home. And then yeah, Grant resents him and manipulated him out of quitting the show, but I think Forrest then just going into denial and the series ending was a pretty limp finish. When Grant goes into his office to tell him the show is canceled and Forrest says he should just kill himself, Grant handing him a gun probably would have been a better ending than Forrest just wandering around in denial and then the curtains falling... idk

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I wouldn't say the ending for Review was perfect, but it ended on an appropriately bleak note. It's hard to wrap a show like that up in a tidy bow when you've got only three episodes to do it.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
They were vague enough about the runtime of this last season (on purpose, from what I can gather) that I kind of feel like they could've had more if they wanted it. I kind of like this, the more I think about it, though - it was a surprise gut punch, and by its very nature it's going to feel like a ripoff because they're not holding to what you want out of a finale, or the leadup to a finale.

Not that it's perfect, mind - the aforementioned logic hole where it doesn't make sense that he's still being filmed after the show is cancelled doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I did just realize, though, they could've gotten around it by insisting that every shot after the cancellation being a tripod shot, which would let you subtly figure out Forrest is doing it all himself. No need for him to do something obvious like set up a camera or knock one over or something, just shoot the show differently for 3 minutes.

So yeah, it wasn't perfect, but it feels of a piece with the rest of the show, and for a show as ridiculous as that one, that's all I can really ask for.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed the other two episodes of the season more, but that was a really heavy ending for Review, IMO. And technically he finished his last review :v:

e: I also think that Forrest actually forsaking his family for his job only to have the show be immediately cancelled is darker and less easy than him actually killing himself. And re: being filmed after being cancelled, saying that they decided 'this review is your last one' makes sense enough to me. Jessica St. Clair and Megan Stevenson were really great this episode.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 31, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to the bros using tags, frowny face @ the rest of y'alls

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Only a couple of episodes in but so far 13 Reasons Why feels like what Riverdale wanted to be.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Riverdale is most likely going all supernatural once they introduce Sabrina from Riverside.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

swickles posted:

I think its going to be really good. Adam Pally can be really hilarious, so I am glad he has something. I think the problem with Making History is that they should have shown the first two episodes back to back as an hour long pilot. As a result, the show just feels slow, and I don't think I would feel that way if the first two establishing episodes were gotten out of the way more quickly.

Yeah, I can see that. I was surprised when they went to times and places besides Colonial America in the third episode because I had kind of gotten the impression they were stuck going back to one place. They could have done a better job establishing the premise, but I'm watching so I think it has some potential.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm gonna reactivate our Hulu just because I want to watch some loving old Taxi episodes god drat it :fogey:

e: I kid but I wonder how much Hulu makes from people older then me who do know how to use computers and want to watch old shows

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's an interesting thing I've never though of. Are shows like that up for the older people who grew up with them who seem less likely to use the service or for people raised on Nick at Nite who are more likely to be streaming?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

That's an interesting thing I've never though of. Are shows like that up for the older people who grew up with them who seem less likely to use the service or for people raised on Nick at Nite who are more likely to be streaming?

Yeah I mean, clearly they're there for somebody. I both grew up with my parents/grandparents watching reruns of them (Taxi and MASH were favorites of my departed grandfather, he was in the Korean war) and later got hooked on them via "coming home drunk and stoned and watching them before bed while I eat an entire pizza".

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Might it have something to do with Hulu just acquiring an entire catalog of some distributor, so it doesn't really cost them much of anything to throw Taxi up because that's what got them access to <insert show they actually want> for a year?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's probably stuff NBC or Disney-ABC always had or acquired the rights to over the years and they just put it up there so they can say "we have over seventyblorp billion shows available!!!!!!!!!"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Probably. But it briefly interested me to wonder who's watching those shows. But its passed.

I watched Imaginary Mary last night and I gotta say, it should be SO MUCH weirder than it is and yet they somehow made a show about a CGI imaginary friend being real in an adult's life into a pretty standard family sitcom. It was really disappointing from its premise's potential.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Finally joining up and watching Patriot this weekend.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like I shouldn't groan every time Chuck Plot Time comes around in Better Call Saul but I do, everything else in season 2 is way more interesting to me :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Elementary good?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Digital Jedi posted:

Finally joining up and watching Patriot this weekend.

:hfive:

I'm really enjoying the show, going to watch the final two episodes tonight.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is Elementary good?

It's better than Sherlock

:can:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been watching Santa Clarita Diet the last few nights, a couple of episodes at a time. Last night I finished Episode 10 and was really interested in where it had gone. I just turned on my Netflix to finish off the season and... discovered that was the end of the season? Wow.

I really enjoyed the show but that ended really abruptly IMO. Its kind of leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Pardon the unintended pun.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Its kind of leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
Mission accomplished :smug:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

I feel like I shouldn't groan every time Chuck Plot Time comes around in Better Call Saul but I do, everything else in season 2 is way more interesting to me :(

I really don't like the direction they took season 2 in and if season 3 is even more spinning their wheels instead of actually moving on to Jimmy becoming Saul I am going to be disappointed.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Well, that sounds promising. I quite like Sherlock.

Though if I'm honest my favourite adaptation is probably the Guy Ritchie movies from a few years ago.

Nothing to equal the Granada series with Jeremy Brett, of course.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

With every new season of Sherlock fewer and fewer people disagree with this

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Popelmon posted:

I'm so glad that Sepinwall talked about 13 Reasons Why so much, it really is a great show so far (2 episodes in). Anyone else watching?

Never heard of this but I just looked it up and see that it stars Dylan Minnette which makes me instantly want to watch. I've enjoyed him greatly in things I've seen him in and have been wanting to see him with a bit more substantive role in something.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

OldSenileGuy posted:

So if I want to watch one of the 55 time travel shows on now, which one should it be? My head says 12 Monkeys, but my heart says Timeless.

I'm aware that Timeless is cheesy and corny, but maybe that's what I'm looking for? And it has Shawn Ryan and that Kripke guy, can it really be that bad?

Or is there something else I should try? Keep in mind I've already watched Travelers.

Both. 12 Monkeys is good, S1 is intelligently written. S2 is more approachable. Timeless is very cheesy and corny but has charm and the leads seem to enjoy being on the show. You will roll your eyes at the dumbness of it but you might also enjoy it.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is Elementary good?

It starts well but quickly becomes extremely formulaic. Here is every episode: introduce half a dozen red herrings, pick one at random as guilty and justify with evidence discovered or exposed in the last five minutes. It's literally the worst kind of mystery and "Sherlock" is a slightly smarter than average guy with a database like brain with millions of random facts and suppositions that would only work on a TV show against two dimensional criminals. S1 and maybe 2 are worth watching, that's it.

wormil fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I watched the series finale of Grimm, a show I really liked for the first seasons until they made an unfortunate decision in the writers' room and switched female leads. Still, I had not seen any episodes since that one and was curious to see how it wrapped up. It was awful oh god was it awful. one decent fight (with Trouble involved of course) and a bunch of absolutely terrible ones. Emotional beats that had no depth to them and terrible dialogue.

• Locked thread