Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

FartingBedpost posted:

Good god, 5 players are transferring from UNM overnight. Three others might, but those aren't confirmed.

With 2 players graduating, that's up to 10 players leaving.

:smithicide:

Up to 6, more to come. It's a UNLV level exodus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I dunno if it's true because I don't follow it enough, but my pet theory is that when Summitt was around, there were at least two places for the top recruits to go to, so you had some semblance of competitive balance. Now UConn can cleanly cherry pick for their super team.

It sucks that C. Vivian Stringer is old and terrible now.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

tadashi posted:

You guys are really going to like UK fans after this:

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/call-john-higgins-business-and-you-get-the-fbi/

This is absurd but he definitely shouldn't be allowed to call any more UK games.

E: It's probably not the actual FBI but he's getting harassed online as well, with UK fans posting fake awful reviews of his roofing company on their Facebook page.

lol dang

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

I dunno if it's true because I don't follow it enough, but my pet theory is that when Summitt was around, there were at least two places for the top recruits to go to, so you had some semblance of competitive balance. Now UConn can cleanly cherry pick for their super team.

It sucks that C. Vivian Stringer is old and terrible now.

It's fun to look at the AIAW brackets from women's basketball began having national tournaments.

The first three were won by Immaculata and the fields featured a whole lot of smaller colleges.

Of course, it couldn't last as big programs had infinite more resources to throw at prospects, plus they were actually beginning to take the sport seriously.

The field was a lot more varied in the 1980s-mid 1990s, with Tennessee, LSU, Old Dominion, Georgia, UCLA, Louisiana Tech, Rutgers, NC State, Stanford, Oklahoma, etc. being viable competitors.

My own theory is that most of these colleges failed miserably at turning programs over to the next generation. Women's basketball has changed a whole lot since 2000, much less the 1985 that many of them are stuck in.

Andy Landers hung on way too long at Georgia and UGA, like others, lost a lot of momentum, then didn't make a strong hire. Louisiana Tech, albeit run on Victorian sensibilities in the 1980s-90s (sleeved jerseys), was still a major landing spot. Last thing you heard from them was the Tyler Summitt embarrassment.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The most frustrating thing is that if you removed UConn, there would actually be a decent amount of parity in the women's game. Last year's final four featured a 4 seed and a 7 seed, and this year all of the other 3 final four teams lost to a bad Tennessee team.

It is kind of interesting though that one of Pat Summitt's biggest accomplishments was working to bring public interest and media attention to the women's game, and her arch rival is currently killing off much of that interest and excitement she worked to build.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

dude789 posted:

The most frustrating thing is that if you removed UConn, there would actually be a decent amount of parity in the women's game. Last year's final four featured a 4 seed and a 7 seed, and this year all of the other 3 final four teams lost to a bad Tennessee team.

It is kind of interesting though that one of Pat Summitt's biggest accomplishments was working to bring public interest and media attention to the women's game, and her arch rival is currently killing off much of that interest and excitement she worked to build.

Pat Summitt didn't drive up visibility all on her own. At Tennessee's height, the rivalry drove a ton of media coverage and was a focal point of the game, and her impact was amplified by having such a ready foil. Not unlike what Skylar Diggins did for UConn a few years later.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/DaytonMBB/status/847481685079871488

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Things are starting to come together for next year for Indiana now that the coaching situation is more settled.

De'ron Davis, Josh Newkirk, and :siren:Colin Hartman:siren: are confirmed to be returning, and it looks like Juwan Morgan will be back as well.

James Blackmon Jr. has declared for the draft without hiring an agent. Even if he doesn't make an NBA roster, he's most likely going pro somewhere. I'd imagine OG will declare soon too.

Robert Johnson, since he's getting his degree early, is definitely a transfer possibility, though I think his playing style would make him a better fit under Archie than he was under Crean. I haven't heard anything at all about Jones or Green.

The biggest question, of course, is still Thomas Bryant. There's rumblings that he wants to transfer, but that seems bizarre. Either stay another year at Indiana or go to the draft. I'd bet he goes to the draft, but we'll see.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hello Towel posted:

James Blackmon Jr. has declared for the draft without hiring an agent. Even if he doesn't make an NBA roster, he's most likely going pro somewhere. I'd imagine OG will declare soon too.

Maybe there's a good reason you feel this way but I always assume these guys are coming back until we hear otherwise. Especially if he's considering going to Europe or whatever, if you've made up your mind why not just hire an agent?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Maybe there's a good reason you feel this way but I always assume these guys are coming back until we hear otherwise. Especially if he's considering going to Europe or whatever, if you've made up your mind why not just hire an agent?

Yeah, the fact that he hasn't hired an agent makes me feel super optimistic.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

This is what happened last year. A bunch of guys who weren't getting drafted tested the waters without hiring an agent, people freaked out, and they almost all came back. And for some reason people were mad even though it is indisputably a good thing for the players to have the chance to do this.

In other news, like half Nebraska's roster is transferring, most notably Ed Morrow, who was one of their better players. I've seen some message board rumblings about Glynn Watson maybe leaving too but that's probably BS. Still seems like maybe a bad sign for Miles, who already had a really hot seat.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Someone, somewhere has the video of this
https://twitter.com/scott_fowler/status/847572403655815168

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
P3t3r Jok, 3 point champ :unsmith:

E:Y chromosome division

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 31, 2017

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Did....did some kid just bust out a 540 like it was loving nothing?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I didn't see it but my dad texted me "Naz Long was terrible, why the hell did he wear sunglasses?!"

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
wait was that a dude's fake leg

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand college dunkfest ends with a wet fart. shameful

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand college dunkfest ends with a wet fart. shameful

They should have given it to the 2nd place dude anyway, he was by far the best actual dunker. Real bad at bounce passing to himself though

Nolan Arenado posted:

I didn't see it but my dad texted me "Naz Long was terrible, why the hell did he wear sunglasses?!"

He was probs gonna lose either way but this was very funny. Pete had the high score in every round and was the only guy to crack 20 in all 3. Even when he lost to the woman's winner it was a tie where he lost on a tie breaker. Dude can shoot

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 31, 2017

Absolute Zero
Mar 12, 2007

Best QB in Arizona history*

*projected
For real rumour going around that Lorenzo Romar might join the Arizona staff as an assistant. Would be unreal.

fake edit: UConn's losing??! Anyone watching this?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Absolute Zero posted:

For real rumour going around that Lorenzo Romar might join the Arizona staff as an assistant. Would be unreal.

fake edit: UConn's losing??! Anyone watching this?

Yeah, I wonder if they're gonna lose this

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

OH IT'S ON

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Never believe your own hype y'all

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Please god let UConn lose this game. State would absolutely not be a guaranteed win for us, but we did at least beat them earlier this year.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

whoa, glad I saw this thread

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

dammit

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

lol, UConn will win by like 11, goddammit.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

HELL YEAH

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

go state!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this game owns

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

this game owns

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I was joking with a buddy earlier that I was hoping State could at least rough up UConn or take them to OT or something. Never thought it'd actually happen, this game owns.

Absolute Zero
Mar 12, 2007

*projected
An exciting game of women's basketball :wow:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

So I would bet like $10,000 that Uconn still wins and I bet none of you would take that bet. :smith:

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I'm supporting Mississippi State because it looks like their point guard is an actual midget

Absolute Zero
Mar 12, 2007

*projected

Nolan Arenado posted:

So I would bet like $10,000 that Uconn still wins and I bet none of you would take that bet. :smith:

Keep expecting them to smash it into a second gear and destroy MSU. But seems like they actually don't have it tonight?

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Nolan Arenado posted:

whoa, glad I saw this thread

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Nolan Arenado posted:

Yeah, close games against UConn have this really unfortunate habit of turning into 15+ point blowouts within the blink of an eye. But it seems like UConn has maybe played with their food a little too long in this one.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WHAT THE gently caress

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
The actual quality of basketball here has been loving horrendous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
A remake of "She's All That" but me learning basketball from the guy behind Dak Prescott in the iHoop shirt.

• Locked thread