Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Babe Magnet posted:

discovering poo poo in Age of Wushu was rad as hell, it took us forever to realize that you can raise your relationship with various NPCs so everyone immediately rushed to max our relationship with an NPC named Wang Dong or something like that

Please.

It was Dongfang making GBS threads.

The lord of House Dong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

randombattle posted:

Please.

It was Dongfang making GBS threads.

The lord of House Dong.

Dongfang Shiting, and he wasn't the head of the Dongfangs. He was our mascot though.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
WoW was definitely considered the casual game for babies when it came out. I was playing FFXI then and everyone in that community was making fun of the spammy combat and the ease of leveling.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

CoffeeBooze posted:

I usually assume its because vanilla WoW was their first MMO and they are more or less chasing the dragon.

There were a lot of people on the WildStar forums constantly complaining that the age of wikis and fansites has "ruined" MMOs because all info is out there and available to everyone. To a certain extent, I understand that emotion, but wikis aren't going to go away just because a game decides to make content less accessible. These people need to accept that the world has changed, and trying to "go back" to that time just isn't going to work in 2017.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Pryce posted:

There were a lot of people on the WildStar forums constantly complaining that the age of wikis and fansites has "ruined" MMOs because all info is out there and available to everyone. To a certain extent, I understand that emotion, but wikis aren't going to go away just because a game decides to make content less accessible. These people need to accept that the world has changed, and trying to "go back" to that time just isn't going to work in 2017.

It'd be *possible* to design an MMO that retains some of the pre-wiki/fansites mystery; you just need to not do what current MMOs do. Don't have an addon API that allows users to engage in automated exfiltration of data, and also design a system that's something *other* than a fixed, predefined quest chain as your content.

Neither of which WildStar did.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Good procgen content can make things randomized enough so you can't just follow videos/guides, but wikis telling you to go to floors 15-25 of dungeon Z to get your item are still going to exist just the same.

Also, exfiltration of data is going to happen always, because people can just unpack your game.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

biznatchio posted:

It'd be *possible* to design an MMO that retains some of the pre-wiki/fansites mystery; you just need to not do what current MMOs do. Don't have an addon API that allows users to engage in automated exfiltration of data, and also design a system that's something *other* than a fixed, predefined quest chain as your content.

Neither of which WildStar did.

Not having an addon api won't help at all, given that FFXIV doesn't have one yet dataminers still tear it apart within hours of a patch download being up.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
I'd say the biggest contributor towards Wildstar having no reliable wowhead-adjacent is having no population. Even when I was raiding in this game about a year ago there was no real way to find information beyond Reddit posts and word of mouth. Entire sets were presumed to be mistakenly implemented, like when they gave away warrior tier as a cosmetic item from crates, with little or no indication on whether it was intentional or Carbine just hosed up and let it ride.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
If you have character- or account-bound quest items, like most games do, you just have them generate with a different name/icon/etc per account. Your procedurally generated quest is also account-specific, and tells you "You need <ItemA> from <RegionB>'s dangerous creatures: the <CritterC>! Be careful, they're known to <AttackFlavorD>!" That way, it's a lot harder for a wiki to help out.

For your account, you get
<ItemA> : Gallbladders
<RegionB> : The Delinquent Uplands
<CritterC> : Moon Prairie Dogs
<AttackFlavorD> : {Ref: "Moon Prarie Dogs", Attack1.Name} = Spit Acid

Your buddy, to get the same legendary item, gets entirely different stuff from a different area. Only you get Moon Prairie Dog Gallbladders, and only during the quest.

Mind you, I'm not saying this is a good design idea, but if that's what you're going for... yay, I guess? It should be super easy to code.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
That almost sounds like radiant quests.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Age of Wushu was loving insane and I wish it had just had an engine that wasn't janky poo poo. :(

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
That game had the best homeless drunk man class and a fun kidnapping system.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

The Chairman posted:

WoW was definitely considered the casual game for babies when it came out. I was playing FFXI then and everyone in that community was making fun of the spammy combat and the ease of leveling.

I can imagine - gotta talk about something while waiting 12 hours for a group in Jueno so you can play the game.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Commissar Budgie posted:

I'd say the biggest contributor towards Wildstar having no reliable wowhead-adjacent is having no population. Even when I was raiding in this game about a year ago there was no real way to find information beyond Reddit posts and word of mouth. Entire sets were presumed to be mistakenly implemented, like when they gave away warrior tier as a cosmetic item from crates, with little or no indication on whether it was intentional or Carbine just hosed up and let it ride.

There was a wowhead equivalent for wildstar, it was useless because the retards who made it didn't purge the retail info and rebuild post F2P which changed loot tables fairly drastically.

And there was some guide sight that I forgot about that listed all the drops for raid bosses. Damned if I remember what it was, but it was accurate up till I quit.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

Rhymenoserous posted:

There was a wowhead equivalent for wildstar, it was useless because the retards who made it didn't purge the retail info and rebuild post F2P which changed loot tables fairly drastically.

And there was some guide sight that I forgot about that listed all the drops for raid bosses. Damned if I remember what it was, but it was accurate up till I quit.

Yeah, jabbithole was completely worthless. The amount of junk data it had from PTR and beta testing and all kinds of poo poo made it like some sort of thottbot kind of website with wowhead's interface. Some of the top raid guilds like enigma had guides that helped gearing and that sort of thing, but any sort of database was hosed from mismanagement of data and lack of enough people submitting data to get a sufficient sampling of drops.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That's all symptomatic of Wildstar being a dud, though. If the game didn't go belly up in about a month, then you'd have either seen pressure to make the site function or a more competent group making a rival site.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
How much did Thotbot and WoWHead eventually sell for? I dont remember exactly how much, just that it was a lot. If Wildstar had at least been marginally successful there probably would have been multiple database sites competing to become the go to for information.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

This april fools joke has some people on Reddit upset, which must mean its pretty good https://mmos.com/news/wildstar-2-officially-announced-launching-mid-2018

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

All four people who pay attention to wildstar must have felt real tricked.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

Also, exfiltration of data is going to happen always, because people can just unpack your game.

From a purely theoretical perspective I wonder if you could do something like game streaming, as in the technology used by OnLive and GameFly, in order to get around this. No data ever gets sent to your computer except the visual output.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
What you could do have game assets on disk, but stream content from the server, kinda like how diablo games do it but with no local server option and everything being streamed, not just the map. That way, you know about models and textures and poo poo being in the game, but there's no way to know where or how they work just from the local files.

Obviously, nobody does this because why bother. Sooner or later a wiki will pop up telling you where to go to get things, people on the internet have a lot of spare time on their hands.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CoffeeBooze posted:

This april fools joke has some people on Reddit upset, which must mean its pretty good https://mmos.com/news/wildstar-2-officially-announced-launching-mid-2018

I bet /r/wildstar lost their drat minds.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

randombattle posted:

All four people who pay attention to wildstar must have felt real tricked.

The post got eleven comments, which might be an even bigger indictment of Wildstar than the video.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
That's like 50% of the active player base.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
I'm lost.

Wildstar sucks because it's dead and doesn't have reliable wikis, it's dead and doesn't have reliable wikis because nobody plays, and not enough people were playing because the raids were unwinnable...except they fixed that part and now raids are actually doable? And the population didn't get enough higher because there wasn't enough advertising or stuff on the wikis?

So...why all the hate? How about just encouraging people to play Wildstar if they like the sound of a fun action RPG with an original IP that they can play for free. Because it actually is that.

Unless there's some other major issue with the game I don't know about, it seems like a bigger population would solve a lot of the problems people have with Wildstar right now.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

teamcharlie posted:

not enough people were playing because the raids were unwinnable

Not really? On top of that atrocious attunements and overtuned leveling content in general made a lot of people stop playing long before being able to step into a raid. Plus a terrible testing process that made it very difficult to provide bugfixes in time (there's been a detailed thread on neogaf).
It's nice that they are fixing their issues, but it's too little too late. It's a bit silly to tell people to go play the game because "maybe it won't be dead if you do", there's a very narrow window of opportunity for such a game to make a good impression and it happened long time ago. Unless they are willing to throw a lot of money on it (which they don't because it doesn't make any, it wasn't even as a separate entry on the latest earnings report, and ncsoft would rather close it and switch to something else).

So why would you encourage anyone to play this game instead of WoW, FFXIV or ESO, games with a stable budget, teams and a future? Because Wildstar doesn't seem to have any of it anymore.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I´ve played the game and enjoyed it for the two weeks or so I gave it. I had no interest in raiding though and there were only 4 dungeons (technically 5 but when I played everyone left immediately if it ever came up) so after having done them a handful of times I was done.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mr. Neutron posted:

I´ve played the game and enjoyed it for the two weeks or so I gave it. I had no interest in raiding though and there were only 4 dungeons (technically 5 but when I played everyone left immediately if it ever came up) so after having done them a handful of times I was done.

Protogames (The fifth) was obnoxiously hard.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Rhymenoserous posted:

Protogames (The fifth) was obnoxiously hard.

This was supposed to be a tutorial dungeon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2plrOpjZhEw&t=211s

If your party didn't interrupt the boss in time she'd cause a wipe. And they used to have an announcer snark at you as you revived. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8JOoPuPcKk

Do you have a link to that testing thread, Shy?

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 4, 2017

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Mizuti posted:

Do you have a link to that testing thread, Shy?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1173078
Not exactly a testing thread but there were some posts from former employees getting into technical details

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

teamcharlie posted:

Unless there's some other major issue with the game I don't know about, it seems like a bigger population would solve a lot of the problems people have with Wildstar right now.

Well, I mean, sort of? The major issue with the game is that it has been so poorly managed over the years that the IP has become almost toxic so in order for the game to get a bigger population would require a small miracle. Considering the time investment most MMOs require its just not worth it.

The complaints people have with Wildstar go pretty far beyond the low population, too. Aside from the issues caused by mismanagement the bog standard leveling process, ongoing content drought and many other things make it a pretty poor recommendation.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Wildstar is essentially in maintenance mode. Redmoon Terror is probably the last new major content the game will ever get, all future updates will be slight rearrangements or recolors of existing assets, and even the last hardcore remnants of the community are finally drifting away upon realizing that. There's never been a good time to play Wildstar and it's never going to improve.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Shy posted:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1173078
Not exactly a testing thread but there were some posts from former employees getting into technical details

:stare:

quote:

quote:

As a player...I'm not a huge PVPer, but I enjoy it from time to time, it was painfully obvious how out of touch with what pvpers enjoy or want Jen Gordy was. Warplots aren't even a bad idea, but holy poo poo the rest of the pvp felt broken immediately in beta, it was kind of the same problem as the 40 man raids - yeah that ounds cool but who the gently caress is going to do it when they are giving up at the earlier part of that gameplay.

I have no problems saying Jen was terrible at her job and had no business being in the important, high ranking position she was in. What makes it even worse is that there was ONE(1), uno, single person doing ALLLLLL of PVP. And they layed him off. He was 10x more competent than her and should've been kept, but they laid him off. Luckily they shifted PVP to Tom and Brett, but as awesome designers as they are they could not correct that ship sadly as it was too far gone.

:stare::stare::stare:

quote:

quote:

How egregious were the branching problems? They weren't all just committing to the master branch, right?

Pretty much. Right up until content lock for a patch, everything would be going into the main branch - including stuff for the patch and stuff that people were working on 3, 6, 9, 12 months out. Which meant that the patch branch would end up a giant clusterfuck for weeks, if not months, and one of the reasons that content would get locked 3 months prior to release. (The reason this is bad, is that you can't respond to player feedback when nothing but critical bugs make it to the live environment for minimum of 3 months, sometimes 6 months. It absolutely killed our community to have to constantly tell them we're aware of an issue and there's a fix coming, but not for half a loving year.)

This was compounded by the fact that Art and Code assets were in a P4 environment, which made merging them relatively simple (I say relatively because sometimes merging Art assets just straight up deleted them entirely, forcing a revert), but all game data was in some proprietary system because one of the lead programmers wanted total control over it. This forced the merging process to happen 2 or 3 times per change to a locked branch (i.e. bug fixing all that garbage in the patch branch). We would constantly accidentally push stuff up to the patch branch that shouldn't be there and constantly miss merges because someone would push the Art/Code portion of a change but forget the data half or vice versa - or the data half of the change would be in three separate changelists and only two of those would get pushed because the proprietary data management system was really bad at tracking changelists - compared to P4 anyway.

Then, to make matters even worse, merging privileges were constantly taken away from everyone whenever one of these mistakes would occur. There were times when my (subordinate) associate designer had merging privileges and there were times when my boss (a lead designer) did not. So, you never really knew who had privileges or who had the go-ahead to merge. You had to ask half a dozen people for permission to push anything up, and then after that you might not have the power to do so anyway. That meant that our two build engineers had to push all changelists into patch builds, for the entire company, manually. Which meant that less and less changes would get approved AND those two engineers were so swamped they couldn't actually work on optimizations/bug fixes for the actual build until they became critical issues - at which point, some devs would be given back merge privileges and we start the whole idiotic, disastrous process over again.

The end result is an absolute disaster where you can't release updates fast enough to appease your customer base AND those updates are bloated with unnecessary Art, Code and Data that causes unintended and hard to identify bugs or missing necessary Art, Code and Data that breaks literally everything in the game (see: Crafting).

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
How about just playing Wildstar as an action RPG and not worrying about whether it's a good long-term time investment as an MMO?

Like, it's a game. It's a fun game and it doesn't cost money to play unless you're stoked about it. I'm not telling anybody to throw their entire lives into playing it, but I have a great time running around the world and doing stuff. Way more fun that I've had in the MMOs people have been throwing around in this thread as more successful alternatives.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Nah. I play MMOs for large and persistent worlds, popularity and long-term planning are the first things that matter, otherwise I'd play good games instead.
But nothing is stopping you. What are you trying to achieve here anyway?

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012

Shy posted:

Nah. I play MMOs for large and persistent worlds, popularity and long-term planning are the first things that matter, otherwise I'd play good games instead.
But nothing is stopping you. What are you trying to achieve here anyway?

I'd flip that and ask: what is the doom and gloom of this thread trying to achieve? It's at time of writing 79 pages of thread for a game that people keep stating over and over and over is dead. But the game keeps chugging along and when I play Wildstar, it's fun.

So...what's wrong with expressing a dissenting opinion? Why does every expression of 'This is fun, I like the game, X is cool, etc.' get shut down? Doesn't seem any more off topic to me than people talking about why they like Final Fantasy XIV for several pages in this thread.

For me, I'd like this game to continue. And if that means opening up a space where people can honestly say they like the game and thereby encourage others to play something fun so the game stays around longer, I think that makes sense.

teamcharlie fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 4, 2017

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

teamcharlie posted:

I'd flip that and ask: what is the doom and gloom of this thread trying to achieve? It's at time of writing 79 pages of thread for a game that people keep stating over and over and over is dead. But the game keeps chugging along and when I play Wildstar, it's fun.

So...what's wrong with expressing a dissenting opinion? Why does every expression of 'This is fun, I like the game, X is cool, etc.' get shut down? Doesn't seem any less off topic to me than people talking about why they like Final Fantasy XIV for several pages in this thread.

For me, I'd like this game to continue. And if that means opening up a space where people can honestly say they like the game and thereby encourage others to play something fun so the game stays around longer, I think that makes sense.

Are you new to something awful . com? Half the forum is just laughing at bad or dumb poo poo on the internet, and Wildstar is a subset of bad or dumb poo poo on the internet.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
choosing the wildstar mock thread as the place to invite open, positive discussion of the game is almost as bad an idea as making an mmo for hardcore players looking to relive the vanilla wow experience and who enjoy attunements

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
Sure, but where's the laughter? If this thread was about making fun of Wildstar that would be awesome, but it seems to me like it's mostly just bemoaning that the endgame is annoying and the generally poor outlook of the game. So I try to lighten the mood a little. Oh noes!

But seriously: you wanna make jokes about the game, go right ahead. But I think that kinda thing comes out of enjoying the game rather than just being annoyed that it hasn't died yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

teamcharlie posted:

Sure, but where's the laughter? If this thread was about making fun of Wildstar that would be awesome, but it seems to me like it's mostly just bemoaning that the endgame is annoying and the generally poor outlook of the game. So I try to lighten the mood a little. Oh noes!

But seriously: you wanna make jokes about the game, go right ahead. But I think that kinda thing comes out of enjoying the game rather than just being annoyed that it hasn't died yet.

You're late by like 3 days yo.

• Locked thread