Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Kelly posted:

Speaking of all this old stuff, I was talking to someone in their 20s at work, and she knew next to nothing about the show. We got on topic because we were talking about Trump being on the show, and she commented that she's never really heard the show live - it occurred to me that they've been off regular radio for over ten years! There's a whole generation that's never heard Howard Stern live.

This surprises me a few times a year. Every so often Stern will come up in conversation and people will either have the reaction you described or say something along the lines of "I was a huge fan growing up. I watched the TV show all of the time." - I'm in Michigan and Stern was never as popular as he was in other markets, so "huge fans" watched him on E! rather than listening to him live on the radio. It's so strange, because to me, he's the GOAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Sand Monster posted:

I have the same or a similar collection of clips on my NAS. I think there were a few archival packs posted here before.

Yeah I have the same pack....its a good one. I think it also has the ISDN show and the 9-11 show and 9-12 Show

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Moniker posted:

This surprises me a few times a year. Every so often Stern will come up in conversation and people will either have the reaction you described or say something along the lines of "I was a huge fan growing up. I watched the TV show all of the time." - I'm in Michigan and Stern was never as popular as he was in other markets, so "huge fans" watched him on E! rather than listening to him live on the radio. It's so strange, because to me, he's the GOAT.

What states was he on the radio in? I don't believe his radio show was ever broadcast here in Louisiana. Here, it's like he never had a radio show. I used to watch the TV show with a few people everyday.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

some guy on the bus posted:

What states was he on the radio in? I don't believe his radio show was ever broadcast here in Louisiana. Here, it's like he never had a radio show. I used to watch the TV show with a few people everyday.

Louisiana

New Orleans KKND FM 106.7 DROPPED AS OF 12/20/99

http://www.marksfriggin.com/stations.htm

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Self quoting for obvious reasons.....

I deleted Feb today and am uploading May right now. I think I will have to delete April before I upload June.
So grab them this morning if possible...
Ill post Mays link in about an hour when its done uploading. Only 7 more months! Some summer months have less shows due to vacations. Same for Nov-Jan 1 2007

Personally 2007 is my favorite year, so I may listen to that as I download and upload.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

He was on in a ton of states. That's what made him so wealthy; the syndication of the show.

Edit: I should read the rest of the thread before commenting. Link has already been posted.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Louisiana

New Orleans KKND FM 106.7 DROPPED AS OF 12/20/99

http://www.marksfriggin.com/stations.htm

So dropped before I learned to drive. I wonder why.

I'm surprised it was only heard in about half the country after 2000 according to that. 32 states minus Colorado, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, and Minnesota after 2000. That's way less than I thought.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

So dropped before I learned to drive. I wonder why.

I'm surprised it was only heard in about half the country after 2000 according to that. 32 states minus Colorado, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, and Minnesota after 2000. That's way less than I thought.

He lost lots of stations in 99 after he talked about Columbine. Same with 95 or 96 or with the Selena stuff and then later on after the Janet Jackson superbowl deal.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Been taking a long awaited deep dive back through the ETM saga and just hit one of my all time favorite calls:

"This rose is a symbol of the fact that it symbolizes that my heart is pure, like the gold on the rose."

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
"The song is called Our Two Hearts Will Prove Them Wrong. The them being you guys"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Been taking a long awaited deep dive back through the ETM saga and just hit one of my all time favorite calls:

"This rose is a symbol of the fact that it symbolizes that my heart is pure, like the gold on the rose."

BobbyK posted:

"The song is called Our Two Hearts Will Prove Them Wrong. The them being you guys"

"Why do you have to hit me with this stuff right after I wake up?"
"Eric, at what time of day will you know the answer?"

:allears:

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
All you newbies in this thread! I've been listening since the early 90s. I remember driving around in June of 1993 after graduation practice listening to the show. :corsair:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

That's sweet, what name did she call you after you sent her the poem?
Eric...the..lovely penis...who sucks cock ...better than ANYONE

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Kelly posted:

All you newbies in this thread! I've been listening since the early 90s. I remember driving around in June of 1993 after graduation practice listening to the show. :corsair:

Haha I've been since about 95 or 96. I remember pretending to be sick so I could stay home from school and I'd turn it on as soon as my parents left for the day. I'd get to listen to like 10 or 15 minutes before the news. Ah the memories.:baby:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I knew of Howard from seeing him on Letterman and Leno and the show came to Louisville around '96 or '97. Luckily I had a job at the time that required driving or sitting in the back of warehouses so I got to listen to quite a bit of that era.

When clear channel dropped him I didn't get to pick it up again until I moved to Ontario and could listen to the Western NY station.

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004
Only dead fish go with the flow.

Kelly posted:

Pfft. I can remember listening back in the WNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNBC days.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches

Sand Monster posted:

I have the same or a similar collection of clips on my NAS. I think there were a few archival packs posted here before.

It was all material from the script cover website by transmodiar, bless his heart.

I too have practically every show, I'm re tagging them so that they look good in iTunes. Best way is through OneDrive? It's a lot of gigs worth.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Kelly posted:

In sixth grade Health class, our teacher was telling us about all of the dangerous types of people out there, including creepy men who find children our age sexually attractive. A young fan of the Stern show, and knowing no better, I said "Oh, like the people in NAMBLA?".

I got called to the principal's office later in the day for a meeting with my parents, the teacher, the principal, and a local cop... and I had to explain how I knew what NAMBLA was, and that nobody has been abusing me, I just thought the guy's voice on the answering machine message they play on the Stern show was funny.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
That's an awesome story. "Be proud."

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
By the way, I got my hosting issues sorted out - https://www.scriptcover.com should be back in business.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

May 2006 Bubba Shows
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5snvD-9mVh_emJvWVhkeFFtWTg/view?usp=sharing

March is getting deleted and June is going up this morning

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Transmodiar posted:

By the way, I got my hosting issues sorted out - https://www.scriptcover.com should be back in business.

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

May 2006 Bubba Shows
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5snvD-9mVh_emJvWVhkeFFtWTg/view?usp=sharing

March is getting deleted and June is going up this morning

Thank you both, you're both doing all of us a great service.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

an AOL chatroom posted:

In sixth grade Health class, our teacher was telling us about all of the dangerous types of people out there, including creepy men who find children our age sexually attractive. A young fan of the Stern show, and knowing no better, I said "Oh, like the people in NAMBLA?".

I got called to the principal's office later in the day for a meeting with my parents, the teacher, the principal, and a local cop... and I had to explain how I knew what NAMBLA was, and that nobody has been abusing me, I just thought the guy's voice on the answering machine message they play on the Stern show was funny.

This...this right here is what the Stern Show is all about and what these goddamn millennials are missing.

Transmodiar posted:

This is awesome man, thank you so much.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Kelly posted:

This...this right here is what the Stern Show is all about and what these goddamn millennials are missing.

I work with a guy that was born in '88 and he just subscribed to Sirius to listen to the show. I offering him the link to the '94 shows and he was like, "nahhh...I'm good".

Guy has no loving idea what he's missing.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Bonzo posted:

I work with a guy that was born in '88 and he just subscribed to Sirius to listen to the show. I offering him the link to the '94 shows and he was like, "nahhh...I'm good".

Guy has no loving idea what he's missing.

Have him listen to a Jackie Puppet segment and see if you can change his mind. That era is arguably the high water mark of the show.

an AOL chatroom posted:

This is the greatest story. Did your parents know you listened prior to being summoned into the principal's office?

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Thank you both, you're both doing all of us a great service.

You are welcome...but it will also let me get off the "Bubba Sergeant Monthly" subscription I have. Dont judge me.

Here Is June 2006
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5snvD-9mVh_V1BOWUpUREtQZms/view?usp=sharing

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

You are welcome...but it will also let me get off the "Bubba Sergeant Monthly" subscription I have. Dont judge me.

Here Is June 2006
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5snvD-9mVh_V1BOWUpUREtQZms/view?usp=sharing

How much money does he pay Manson these days? I can't imagine him having any success without him there.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bonzo posted:

How much money does he pay Manson these days? I can't imagine him having any success without him there.

No Clue...but I doubt Manson is doing anything for less then 100k a year.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I heard of NAMBLA through South Park rather than the Stern Show. I didn't even know they were a real thing until I heard the "Be proud...to be.. a boy lover" message on Stern (I always thought they were made up by Trey Parker and Matt Stone).

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Did Howard ever interview that "be proud" creepy guy from the voice mail?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

an adult beverage posted:

Did Howard ever interview that "be proud" creepy guy from the voice mail?

I know he had Stuttering John talk to him at least once. They know him by his first name -- it's something like "Rolando". Can't remember if he was ever on the show.

I remember he had some guys on who were extremely angry and shouty and anti-NAMBLA (and also anti-gay), and Howard might have let them yell at the NAMBLA guy.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

prefect posted:

I know he had Stuttering John talk to him at least once.

I am Dr Remulack

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

prefect posted:

I know he had Stuttering John talk to him at least once. They know him by his first name -- it's something like "Rolando". Can't remember if he was ever on the show.

I remember he had some guys on who were extremely angry and shouty and anti-NAMBLA (and also anti-gay), and Howard might have let them yell at the NAMBLA guy.

The best part was when Stuttering John interviewed some of the NAMBLA guys and they were fans of the show. You could tell how uncomfortable that made Howard.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Sand Monster posted:

Have him listen to a Jackie Puppet segment and see if you can change his mind. That era is arguably the high water mark of the show.

I was about to argue for the Magic Hour episodes, but I think a lot of the humor there is too generation-specific.

Sand Monster posted:

This is the greatest story. Did your parents know you listened prior to being summoned into the principal's office?

I just hope I'm remembering it correctly. It's one of those things that I didn't think about for ages until they referenced it in an old episode I was listening to.

They didn't know, I just told them that I was "listening to the radio". Usually I'd listen as much as I could in the morning, then hit record on the tape deck as I was leaving for school, because I couldn't bring my walkman. I do remember knowing about Stern and wanting to listen but not knowing how until a news broadcast showed a 92.3 banner behind him at some event. This is all peak pre-internet, right here, folks.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

an AOL chatroom posted:

This is the greatest username/post combo ever to exist in the history of posting.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

an AOL chatroom posted:

I was about to argue for the Magic Hour episodes, but I think a lot of the humor there is too generation-specific.

Magic Hour is one of my favorite old moments that I've listened to and I was only like 12 when that show was on.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Bobo did a 40 minute Periscope with the mic muted :laffo:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

Bobo did a 40 minute Periscope with the mic muted :laffo:

thats $1 and lol

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

I am Dr Remulack