Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

post more about ancient loads please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Ras Het posted:

That's very zen of you, but in any case, my point wasn't remotely that I would rather live in whatever oldendayse century you want to choose, but that human society is irredeemably terrible and a lot of the comforts of our lives are actually insanely lovely things

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CommonShore posted:

In the 21st century you can go online and look at imperial loads whenever you want. Back then you had to wait for the emperor to come by on a rickshaw

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to buy Caligula: Divine Wrath just to wash this argument from my mind.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yes, noted lovely thing antibiotics.

It's also horrible that cheap, effective birth control exists to the point where it's available (barring cultural/legal/etc shenanigans) in even pretty dirt poor societies.

Don't even get me started on how insanely lovely plummeting mortality rates in childbirth are.

If only a better society had these things and not our nightmare one

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Agriculture was a mistake

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

cheetah7071 posted:

Agriculture was a mistake

Yeah. I mean, obviously agriculture has its great advantages, but it came packed with a horrific death cult society

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ras Het posted:

If only a better society had these things and not our nightmare one

Yeah, our society is just a loving awful mess.

God knows I'd rather be a lesbian in 15th century Europe.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ras Het posted:

Yeah. I mean, obviously agriculture has its great advantages, but it came packed with a horrific death cult society

are you for real

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Life was better in the trees. There can't be any hierarchy when we're all on top.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, our society is just a loving awful mess.

Is it a helpful conversation for us each to in turn name a bad thing

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'm going to buy Caligula: Divine Wrath just to wash this argument from my mind.

are you sure you want to give the man who wrote that money

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Don't worry, I'll get it used.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Wow, I apologise.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Don't worry, I'll get it used.

It may take some effort to scour off the stains.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The 17th century was pretty rough. The whole early modern period in general was basically one big mistake.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think we can all agree that ancient misanthropic sadbrains types were way better than the modern example itt

*lives in a barrel in the agora*

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

You know this book actually falls within a grand tradition of works that refer to fictional historical sources and legends. In Moby Dick for example, Melville makes a dirty joke about elephants groping women and attributes it to a fictional Greek writer. I suspect by sourcing the story in antiquity it made the salacious details more palatable to his Victorian audience.

Herman Melville posted:

I should [ ] bethink me of Darmonodes' elephant that so frequented the flower-market, and with low salutations presented nosegays to damsels, and then caressed their zones.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Melville could actually have cited a legit ancient source for that, though; Plutarch tells a similar story:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A2008.01.0369%3Asection%3D18

quote:

The loves of some animals are wild and furious, while others have a refinement which is not far from [p. 399] human and an intercourse conducted with much grace. Such was the elephant which at Alexandria played the rival to Aristophanes1 the grammarian. They were, in fact, in love with the same flower-girl; nor was the elephant's love the less manifest: as he passed by the market, he always brought her fruit and stood beside her for a long time and would insert his trunk, like a hand,2 within her garments and gently caress her fair breasts.
(Not saying anything like this really happened, of course, just that Melville may not have been the first to come up with the idea. Or maybe the ancient world really was full of elephants who liked to grope women along with lions who liked to rape men, I don't know.)

Ainsley McTree posted:

That book is for people who thought A World Lit Only By Fire was too scholarly
Isn't that the book which claims that medieval peasants walked around naked, slept huddled in a heap on their dirt floors, and had no concept of time or personal identity?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SerialKilldeer posted:

Isn't that the book which claims that medieval peasants walked around naked, slept huddled in a heap on their dirt floors, and had no concept of time or personal identity?

Oh is that the one that came up in milhist and I think it ended up with the logical conclusion that the space immediately outside the village was filled with confused peasants who couldn't find their way home?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

The 17th century was pretty rough. The whole early modern period in general was basically one big mistake.

Would you say that iron and wheat ruined man?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Arglebargle III posted:

no it was guns germs and steel.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

SerialKilldeer posted:

Melville could actually have cited a legit ancient source for that, though; Plutarch tells a similar story:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A2008.01.0369%3Asection%3D18

(Not saying anything like this really happened, of course, just that Melville may not have been the first to come up with the idea. Or maybe the ancient world really was full of elephants who liked to grope women along with lions who liked to rape men, I don't know.)

Oh lol. Now I wonder if he just forgot where he read the story and just made up a name to which he could attribute it. Googling the name Darmonodes of course there are elaborate theories that the name has some hidden meaning, although I'm predisposed to ignore such rambling.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CommonShore posted:

There is strong evidence for most, perhaps all, emperors having jizz. We don't have any direct evidence, such as samples of the imperial loads, but since the majority of emperors had children we can infer the presence of jizz. It is possible some of these children were illegitimate and had other fathers. Plenty of stories circulated about the sex lives of the imperial women, for example the tales about Messalina's competitive orgies, but I think the more extreme of these can be largely dismissed as rumors based on the general Roman misogyny.

One of the more interesting ancient jizz stories has nothing to do with the Roman imperial families. It is claimed in multiple ancient sources that the Aphrodite of Knidos has semen stains from one or more men unable to contain themselves in worship.

There are claims that the yearly honoring of Min, god of fertility in Egypt, involved the pharoah jizzing into the Nile as a reenactment the story of Atum creating the world by masturbating into the chaotic waters at the beginning of time. Another form of the story claims he blew himself and then spit the semen out to create the gods.

The story of Seth and Horus also involves a lot of jizz.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Grand Fromage posted:

There is strong evidence for most, perhaps all, emperors having jizz. We don't have any direct evidence, such as samples of the imperial loads, but since the majority of emperors had children we can infer the presence of jizz. It is possible some of these children were illegitimate and had other fathers. Plenty of stories circulated about the sex lives of the imperial women, for example the tales about Messalina's competitive orgies, but I think the more extreme of these can be largely dismissed as rumors based on the general Roman misogyny.

One of the more interesting ancient jizz stories has nothing to do with the Roman imperial families. It is claimed in multiple ancient sources that the Aphrodite of Knidos has semen stains from one or more men unable to contain themselves in worship.

There are claims that the yearly honoring of Min, god of fertility in Egypt, involved the pharoah jizzing into the Nile as a reenactment the story of Atum creating the world by masturbating into the chaotic waters at the beginning of time. Another form of the story claims he blew himself and then spit the semen out to create the gods.

Much better.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

See my question then becomes, what sort of person gazes into the churning primordial aquatic vortex and thinks "man this fukkin allegory puts me in the mood."

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
Make Religion Sexy Again

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Grand Fromage posted:

There are claims that the yearly honoring of Min, god of fertility in Egypt, involved the pharoah jizzing into the Nile as a reenactment the story of Atum creating the world by masturbating into the chaotic waters at the beginning of time.

I've always thought this is the best creation story. We're here because a bored god cranked one out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you're into ancient jizz Egyptian religion is full of it.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
In college I heard a similar Hindu one where Shiva was performing tantric meditation when his wife snuck up behind him and startled him.

Seems like these stories get around.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cyrano4747 posted:

Don't even get me started on how insanely lovely plummeting mortality rates in childbirth are.

Children don't want to be born, people who are already alive don't want the world to be more crowded than it is. So this benefits who, mothers without a hobby beyond raising kids? I'm going back to the olden days when I could own a bunch of land, feed my cat

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Arglebargle III posted:

Other bad times in history:
-Medieval
-Megalithic
-Industrial revolution
-Antiquity (all of it)
-Napoleonic era
Etc

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Grand Fromage posted:

If you're into ancient jizz Egyptian religion is full of it.

I'm not really into ancient jizz so much as I was tired of the previous page's slapfight.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Cyrano4747 posted:

Probably not the worst choice tho, considering that sex between women wasn't really a thing that anyone really cared about punishing for a whopping long time, as far as I know.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I'm not really into ancient jizz so much

You can admit to it, this is a safe space.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Kemper Boyd posted:

Probably not the worst choice tho, considering that sex between women wasn't really a thing that anyone really cared about punishing for a whopping long time, as far as I know.

I don't have a specific source but I would be really, really astonished if that were the case.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kemper Boyd posted:

Women got punished for being a woman so I don't think they would have given them any slack for this.
Obviously they are both witches.
Burn them!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Gay sex between women was generally not super heavily condemned in medieval Christian Europe, definitely not to the degree of gay sex between men. Early medieval penitential records show that it was considered sinful in about the same degree as masturbation. There was definitely a social bias against it and particular against penetrative sex between women (since this was seen to be usurping a male prerogative) but it wasn't like insanely taboo. The 15th century is actually right around the time where you first start seeing it getting women in trouble with the law. This whole essay is a really fun read, but I'll just quote extensively:

quote:

Moving into the 15th century, we start finding records of legal actions against women for lesbian practices and other associated social crimes. Despite the clear social opprobrium, the amount of data of this type is far less than that for corresponding male transgressions. Those who have combed the legal records have found not more than a dozen examples from the 15th century -- none earlier: 7 women in Bruges in the 1480s, 2 women charged in Rottweil in 1444, and two cases that are interesting in their detail. [Bennett 2000, Boone 1996, Puff 1997]

In 1405, a law case was brought concerning a 16-year-old married woman named Laurence and another married woman named Jehanne. According to Laurence’s testimony, while they were out walking together Jehanne promised Laurence “If you will be my sweetheart, I will do you much good” and on agreeing because she “thought there was nothing evil in it”, Jeheanne laid her down in a haystack and “climbed on her as a man does on a woman … and began to move her hips and do as a man does to a woman.” The encounter was enjoyable enough for both of them that they met several more times for physical relations, but their eventual break-up was problematic enough to come to the attention of the authorities. [Bennett 2000, Benkov 2001, Murray 1996]

However for sheer soap-opera fascination, there’s the trial of Katherina Hetzeldorfer in 1477 in Speier. Katherina was passing, at least nominally, as a man and had arrived in town with a female companion, initially presented as her “sister” but with whom she eventually confessed to a sexual relationship. Although there were some suspicions regarding this relationship, what brought Katherina to the attention of the law was a serious of sexually aggressive adventures, including offering women money for sex and entering women’s houses at night for the purpose of sexual assault. The trial focused on her transgression of gender boundaries in her appearance, but the testimony includes extensive evidence of her sexual behavior. Some aspects of the testimony must be suspect as her partners must have felt the need to present themselves as victims of a gender hoax rather than as willing participants. Katherina’s original companion testified that Katherina had “deflowered her and had made love to her during two years.” Another woman asserted that Katherina had “grabbed her just like a man” … “with hugging and kissing she behaved exactly like a man with women.” And the most detailed testimony concerned how Katherina used an artificial penis both as gender disguise and as a sexual aid. “She made an instrument with a red piece of leather, at the front filled with cotton, and a wooden stick stuck into it, and made a hole through the wooden stick, put a string through, and tied it round; and therewith she had her roguery with the two women….” Katherina’s repertoire also included manual stimulation, with one partner describing, “she did it at first with one finger, thereafter with two, and then with three, and at last with the piece of wood that she held between her legs as she confessed before.” [Crompton 1980, Puff 2000]

They drowned this last one in the Rhine -- but in view of the circumstances it obviously wasn't just because she was having sex with women.

Anatomy of Melancholy (another great read if you have a spare week) also treats of sex between women. Burton thinks of it as a form of what we would call mental illness.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Kellsterik posted:

I don't have a specific source but I would be really, really astonished if that were the case.

I seem to recall a dead officer in Hey Gail's time turning out to be a cross-dressing woman. If I remember right, they spoke approvingly of her wife (I think)'s faithfulness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Grand Fromage posted:

Arglebargle III posted:

Religion ruined man. Without Christianity, the story above would be daily occurrences still.