Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The more you play the less you will die without knowing what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Ranked #402 in the OC servers now. Started out at 10k+. Getting to the top 10 is a big boost if you can do it consistently. Best advice is to be a sneaky oval office and try to get to the middle of the first few circles then shotgun people when they open doors. Might not be cool but I'm over 40 and slow, so i pretend I'm taking a dump on the toilet.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I feel like ttk is so quick that you don't even get a chance usually to find where you're being shot from before you die

That tends to change when you get somewhat better armour and move more cautiously. Basically the important part is to move so that a) nobody can get inside ~50 meters of you without you noticing and b) there's a solid piece of cover within a few second's worth of sprinting. If you can ensure that (which isn't always possible, of course) and have T2 armour, you should usually have the time to get into cover unless you're getting lit up by several people at once or beaned in the head by a sniper.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

There's a new type of unlockable... it's hood ornaments.

https://youtu.be/Cp4ZbGGiql0

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
How drat expensive do loot crates get? Do they eventually reset?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

they reset each week

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Also note that if your connection's laggy for whatever reason, it'll still count each individual click on the "buy crate" button for the purposes of increasing the price, but without actually making the purchase. Ask me about slamming it while it wasn't responding and now having my price set at 7k with only a single crate to show for it :v:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've been unable to connect for going on 16 hours now and their forum is no help at all, and from looking there it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem. I load up the game, see the main screen with the AK and the pillars, and then nothing happens. I've let it sit for an hour or more while I went out, and when I came back there was no change. What's weird is that it was working fine before, and then suddenly just stopped working, and that if I use a VPN I can connect, but it takes a very long time and I have to repeat the process every single game because once a game finishes I encounter the exact same problem again when it tries to go back to the menu.

I guess it has something to do with their main auth/login servers, but I just wanna play some Battlegrounds and I don't know how to fix this. :(

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

Almost there.

I explain fast without to much detail how I get there with a KDR under 2. Played today around 15 games with this strat and never died once before #10.

First Rule: NEVER engange someone unless you absolutly have to because he blocks your path on foot or you are 100% sure you get the kill and can loot him.
Second Rule: Cars are your best friends, they will almost always safely get you in the middle of of the circle and can provide a fast escape if the following circle is not how you want it or will provide cover just by standing behind them.

The following picture shows to where I jump to 99% depending on the flight path, the place I loot and where I obtain my car.
When you have finished looting and got your car, there should be around 60/50 Players alive and the first blue circle closing in/second white circle appear.

After you got your car, you basicly spend your whole time driving around and flanking the complete circle depending of the path the plane took. There should be no need to get out of the car until the last 30/40 are alive or you need some additional loot from small house clusters you know they will be empty:

When there are between 30 and 40 people you drive straight into the middle of the circle and search for a building to camp, park your car infront of the entrace, dont try to make it seem empty, we dont want to fight, we want them to avoid us. If the following circle is out of your position, get into the car and change position with around 30 people left.

Your goal should be camping in a house withing the white circle and 20 players alive. If you managed to do that, and the next circle is not in your location, ignore it, our main goal is top10, everything else is extra. Dont move from your position until the blue circle is killing you and you cant escape it, pretty much every game for me, I am already top10 before the blue circle forces me out of the position without firing a single shot if not forced to, but still having a reasonable chance to get to rank #1.

At least it works for me.

Zero proofreading went into this.

Paradigmata fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 1, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
That sounds like a very good strat for purely climbing the leaderboard, but it doesn't really sound like much fun.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Paradigmata posted:

Almost there.

:eyepop:

Meanwhile, I got stuck behind a door and fell through the world, then got disconnected from the host. Both of those things count as losses, if you were curious.

Bardeh posted:

That sounds like a very good strat for purely climbing the leaderboard, but it doesn't really sound like much fun.

To some extent, "optimal" strategies all end up being kind of boring for this reason.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

Bardeh posted:

Yeah, its defenitly not the most interessting experience if you are in for sick firefights. But this strat is comming from a person who could spend 8 hours a day staring trough a scope in DayZ hunting bandits, never move, and do some bullet drop math on the side.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Man, 15 left, and I'm semi-geared. Have just jogged through two circles taking semi-serious damage, coming up to the edge of the blue circle which is a big forest ridge. See there is an abandoned car just up ahead. Obviously somebody has driven to the edge of the circle and jumped out to move into the circle.

Then I suddenly notice that they guy has not moved deeper into the circle — he is just inside the circle, crouched and peeking a tree, looking totally in the opposite direction to me. I have an SKS and an ACOG, and am probably 20m away, but still in the circle. I ADS at him, but I am still at the outskirts of the circle and the forcefield optics are tricky as hell. I am actually seeing double of the guy. As usual, I panic and just start firing and totally whiff all my shots. The guy turns around and mows me down with an AK.

Story of my life in this game. If I'd have held my nerve and gone forward maybe 8-10m, I would have had an easy kill and then a good overwatch position over the circle.

But I do feel that I am learning after every game, and that's what keeps me coming back.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Bardeh posted:

It's fun in it's own way. My reflexes are shot, but I can camp and hide with the best of them. Occasionally get to say "Surprise Motherfucker" right as I gun someone down

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I feel like ttk is so quick that you don't even get a chance usually to find where you're being shot from before you die

if you have played any milsim, ttk isn't really an issue for this game. body armor and helmets save you from most surprises when in cover. pretty much gotta play smart and not expose yourself (if you can help it).

i still don't quite understand the distances in this game so zeroing and leading are kinda still off for me, but just you wait until i start getting 1km+ awm kills.

positioning is king so if you find yourself frequently walking into unfortunate situations, perhaps you should plan better gamer :)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
So when can I use real money to buy better loadouts?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I know it's not a Pro Strat, but it's ridiculously fun to pop a guy in the middle of a field just once and see him panic and run in circles.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Rite Of Massage posted:

if you have played any milsim, ttk isn't really an issue for this game. body armor and helmets save you from most surprises when in cover. pretty much gotta play smart and not expose yourself (if you can help it).

i still don't quite understand the distances in this game so zeroing and leading are kinda still off for me, but just you wait until i start getting 1km+ awm kills.

positioning is king so if you find yourself frequently walking into unfortunate situations, perhaps you should plan better gamer :)

Each small square grid on the map is 100m.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have they said anything about doing private servers for events and poo poo like they did in H1Z1 King of the Hill?

Aka this - https://www.h1z1.com/king-of-the-kill/news/kotk-fight-for-the-crown-team-tournament-cw-2017

I always found that kind of thing neat.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

VulgarandStupid posted:

There's a new type of unlockable... it's hood ornaments.

https://youtu.be/Cp4ZbGGiql0

he died historic on the pub gee road, witness him

Bardeh posted:

I've been unable to connect for going on 16 hours now and their forum is no help at all, and from looking there it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem. I load up the game, see the main screen with the AK and the pillars, and then nothing happens. I've let it sit for an hour or more while I went out, and when I came back there was no change. What's weird is that it was working fine before, and then suddenly just stopped working, and that if I use a VPN I can connect, but it takes a very long time and I have to repeat the process every single game because once a game finishes I encounter the exact same problem again when it tries to go back to the menu.

I guess it has something to do with their main auth/login servers, but I just wanna play some Battlegrounds and I don't know how to fix this. :(

I get this too and the only solution I've found is to exit and relog. Repeatedly. Usually after 4 or 5 times it works.

Bardeh posted:

It's basically what I do, as well, and it depends on what your idea of fun is. Skulking around and avoiding firefights is a lot harder than it looks, and trust me, hiding in a building with a car nearby attracts people who have the idea that fun=fighting, so you do get into firefights.

It's just that you're forcing other players to enter into a fight on your terms, not theirs, and since the combat in this game is "realistic", goading an enemy into a fight while you have a defensive posture (ideally on the second floor of a house with only one way up) means you have a distinct advantage. Running and gunning is fun as gently caress, but you're gonna get caught out a lot. Doing it in the way described cuts back on the fighting, but increases your odds of winning the fights you do get in.

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 1, 2017

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Got this game last night and goddamn it's loving exhilarating whenever you find someone. Gonna be playing this one for a while although I did experience some lag when I landed from the plane once.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Got this game last night and goddamn it's loving exhilarating whenever you find someone. Gonna be playing this one for a while although I did experience some lag when I landed from the plane once.

I always get way too excited and either jump too soon or too late when I run across another player. I have a single kill across all my games that I'm super proud of though!

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
You'll get better at combat. If you've only played shooters like CS:GO or Battlefield or whatever there's some bad habits you need to unlearn, but once you get the feel for when and how to engage your kills will go up.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

For some reason the game is super laggy when you first hit the ground, that goes away pretty quickly. I'm not sure if that is some hidden addition loading or what, but it does make jumping immediately difficult sometimes.

It could also have something to do with like 50% of the server pop dying in the first five minutes as well.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

DreamShipWrecked posted:

For some reason the game is super laggy when you first hit the ground, that goes away pretty quickly. I'm not sure if that is some hidden addition loading or what, but it does make jumping immediately difficult sometimes.

It could also have something to do with like 50% of the server pop dying in the first five minutes as well.

The map is actually made up of multiple zones of different servers melded together via coding black magic I don't understand, so if you jump where a ton of people are that area will be more laggy than elsewhere on the map.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

VikingSkull posted:

The map is actually made up of multiple zones of different servers melded together via coding black magic I don't understand, so if you jump where a ton of people are that area will be more laggy than elsewhere on the map.

I want to see EVE style time dialation for laggy areas. It's hectic in the first jump areas, but you get bullet time!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

This is what I suspected since once I landed in a zone with like 3 players or something it wasn't so bad. I do love looking in back of the plane and seeing every just jump out. Very cool game

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Paradigmata posted:

I explain fast without to much detail how I get there with a KDR under 2. Played today around 15 games with this strat and never died once before #10.

Nice, thanks for the write up.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

I get this too and the only solution I've found is to exit and relog. Repeatedly. Usually after 4 or 5 times it works.

I just tried 10 times in a row and no dice. I guess I'll keep doing this dumb VPN thing, but it means it takes 10 minutes each time to get into a game. :sigh: I have no idea what changed between when it was working fine and now.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Bardeh posted:

I just tried 10 times in a row and no dice. I guess I'll keep doing this dumb VPN thing, but it means it takes 10 minutes each time to get into a game. :sigh: I have no idea what changed between when it was working fine and now.

It sounds dumb to ask, but have you tried launching as admin? I've exited Steam and launched both as admin and it seemed to help.

Note that this bug will happen again, usually it won't launch, I'll relog a few times, get a few games in and have to repeat the process.

If this was any game other than this I would have filed a refund, but this game is so good I just put up with it :negative: Hopefully they fix it in the next patch.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Putting this game on my SSD made it A LOT better, so if you got one you will probably see a major performance increase. Looking back I don't know why I didn't earlier cause the map is large and there are a lot of objects to load

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I like how all the answers to ttk being too fast are, "GET GOOD!!" or "IF YOU'RE LUCKY ENOUGH TO FIND BETTER EQUIPMENT" I regularly make it down to 20 or less people and then just get shot in the head from behind from a million miles away because the final circle is in the middle of a field or forest with very little cover.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I like how all the answers to ttk being too fast are, "GET GOOD!!" or "IF YOU'RE LUCKY ENOUGH TO FIND BETTER EQUIPMENT" I regularly make it down to 20 or less people and then just get shot in the head from behind from a million miles away because the final circle is in the middle of a field or forest with very little cover.

Smoke grenades are your friend

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Am I seeing the same smoke grenades? Every time I have thrown one it was a tiny little poot of smoke and that's it. Hardly enough to cover anything. It's so ineffectual that I sometimes wonder if my graphics settings are screwing it up.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Am I seeing the same smoke grenades? Every time I have thrown one it was a tiny little poot of smoke and that's it. Hardly enough to cover anything. It's so ineffectual that I sometimes wonder if my graphics settings are screwing it up.

Yeah, they aren't great if you use one, but I pick up as many as I can find because if you toss 3 or 4 you'll get good coverage to a better position.

Keep in mind that they are as good as gunshots in regards to giving up your position, so they are very situational and IMO definitely a single use, late game only style of item.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I finally caved and bought this and I am so bad. I haven't played an fps in years. Kinda wondering if I should play​ some CS just to practice shooting at people.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Just play more battlegrounds and learn to use cover and ambush people instead. Doing well in this game IMO is way less about your twitch shooting skills and way more about picking good fights, situational awareness and positioning.

When you actually need to shoot at someone, it should ideally be while they're distracted engaging someone else, looting, looking at their map, etc.

Getting to that point for me is taking a lot of deaths where at first I feel like "oh man if I only had the fps reflexes to 180 headshot that guy" but really if I had just thought to maybe move into the circle using a ridge for cover or something I never would have been spotted first in the first place.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 1, 2017

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
In CS you can overcome bad positioning with aggressive play and good aim, but in PUBG you're much better off being cautious and not shooting at all if you can help it. It's almost never beneficial to move from point A to point B in a straight line, which means you have to preplan where you're going, you need to look around you and then use what you can to get there with the most coverage possible.

All the aim practice in the world won't help you if you don't plan a way to get to cover and set up the shots you take.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Like I get some serious Edge of Tomorrow vibes from this game. Last game I was stuck on the far side of the next circle. I know if I try to run in, best I can hope for is to barely make the near edge, which is in open fields. I find a car instead and drive like a maniac over to the far side, which is up in a hilly forested area.

Driving up I'm feeling super smart, I see a bunch of guys as I drive past who definitely would have killed me if I was on foot booking it into the close side.

Then I get up to the other end as the blue circle closes in, think "aw yeah I made it!" and just jump out. Then immediately realize I'm dead because I thoughtlessly picked a spot to stop like 100 meters from the closest good cover, and yep, get picked off as I'm hoping nobody was around to notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I think that red zones should always hit in the white circle, and they should be more frequent to prevent people just camping on roofs or whatever.

• Locked thread