Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

She doesn't even have Aftermath, how the heck do you fall for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
If only it had been blue, it'd be entirely believable, except then it might cost less and have split second.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i somehow went 1-2 with this :(

1 narnam renegade
1 dhund operative
1 gifted aetherborn
1 hidden herbalists
2 kujar seedsculptor
2 winding constrictor
1 alley strangler
1 defiant salvager
1 highspire artisan
2 lifecraft cavalry
1 (masterpiece even)verd gearhulk
3 green implements
1 pacification array
1 unbridled growth
1 rush of vitality
1 subtle strike
1 hazardous conditions
1 tidy conclusion

i saw one snake out of all 7 games.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Hooray point #1: Cycling duals!
Hooray point #2: They're typed!

Boo point #1: Why the ever-loving gently caress are they allied colors?! We already have goofy ally-colored typed duals two blocks ago!

I'm hopeful it is either because they are printing them in the second half of the set/next set, or because they are strong enough thanks to swampcycling type cards in the set.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Marketing New Brain posted:

I'm hopeful it is either because they are printing them in the second half of the set/next set, or because they are strong enough thanks to swampcycling type cards in the set.

BFZ block only had ally-color tango lands. SOI block only had ally-color "reveal a [type]" lands. Kaladesh only had enemy-color fastlands. I wouldn't hold your breath on Amonkhet's rare land cycle having a full ten cards.

It's weird because before the switch to the two-set blocks they announced that their policy from now on was that every block's rare land cycle would be a full ten cards, and as far as I can tell that affected literally one block ever (Theros).

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

BFZ block had enemy manlands.

But that was a land-themed block so it's an exception rather than the rule.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

BFZ block only had ally-color tango lands. SOI block only had ally-color "reveal a [type]" lands. Kaladesh only had enemy-color fastlands. I wouldn't hold your breath on Amonkhet's rare land cycle having a full ten cards.

It's weird because before the switch to the two-set blocks they announced that their policy from now on was that every block's rare land cycle would be a full ten cards, and as far as I can tell that affected literally one block ever (Theros).

I imagine it was probably part of a plan to sustain sales through all three sets of a block by spreading the duals out, and when they decided to drop the third set anyway, they abandoned the plan to keep the number of duals in Standard roughly the same.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://youtu.be/DOJuPYVLFDY

MTG Goldfish gets a look at mtg next.

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.

its me glenda posted:

i somehow went 1-2 with this :(

1 narnam renegade
1 dhund operative
1 gifted aetherborn
1 hidden herbalists
2 kujar seedsculptor
2 winding constrictor
1 alley strangler
1 defiant salvager
1 highspire artisan
2 lifecraft cavalry
1 (masterpiece even)verd gearhulk
3 green implements
1 pacification array
1 unbridled growth
1 rush of vitality
1 subtle strike
1 hazardous conditions
1 tidy conclusion

i saw one snake out of all 7 games.

Pretty much the rule of snake decks is you don't draw snake. Same for me. It's not like you're playing blanks otherwise though, so maybe you played badly. My tendency with bomb-rear end decks is to trade too aggressively, falling behind with the assumption I can draw into what makes my deck strong. It doesn't work that often.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Bugsy posted:

I would play so much Shandalar if it was the exact same game but with current rules and cards.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Your opponents T1, forest implement of ferocity, T2 swamp into Snek.

You never even see one until T9

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Bugsy posted:

I remember playing this game 20+ years ago but didn't have any idea what it was called until this video.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
mana flood/screw still being a thing in 2017 is hilariously bad game design and holds magic back in the dark ages bigly

thats my hot take a returning magic player

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

beergod posted:

mana flood/screw still being a thing in 2017 is hilariously bad game design and holds magic back in the dark ages bigly

That's what Force of Will and, online, Shadowverse have attempted to fix. The new cycle kinda helps, but I've said a few times that at the very least, all basic lands should've had cycling for several years now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

beergod posted:

How do you propose they fix this?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

mcmagic posted:

How do you propose they fix this?

I'm not sure you can fix it at this point. I think it dates the game in a significant way. I didn't expect to be fixated on the mana fixing issue (coming from Hearthstone) but I'm having a hard time getting past it.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
Modern burn is so good right now. Please bring me your Deathshadow decks you don't know how to play well.

4-0'D fnm last night only dropping one game to Affinity.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

DoctorOozy posted:

Modern burn is so good right now. Please bring me your Deathshadow decks you don't know how to play well.

Are you running something like this?

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-burn-34574#online

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

beergod posted:

I'm not sure you can fix it at this point. I think it dates the game in a significant way. I didn't expect to be fixated on the mana fixing issue (coming from Hearthstone) but I'm having a hard time getting past it.

Always sucks to have a match determined by how many lands a player drew. Happens virtually every Pro Tour in at least one of the high stakes matches being covered (less often now in top 8s, since they made those best of 5).

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Always sucks to have a match determined by how many lands a player drew. Happens virtually every Pro Tour in at least one of the high stakes matches being covered (less often now in top 8s, since they made those best of 5).

It feels like a much bigger problem to me in limited. Maybe the answer is to have different rules for mulling etc. in limited but not constructed?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

beergod posted:

It feels like a much bigger problem to me in limited.

Definitely, you're liable to get color screwed even in non-greedy 2 color decks fairly often. There are probably ways of alleviating the problem design-wise (both directly and indirectly), but that could lead to gameplay changes they don't like (e.g., lowering the power level of creatures, so catching up after a stumble is more feasible).

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

lets just separate spells and land into two decks and you get to choose which deck you get to draw from each time you would draw a card :bravo:

e: just so we're clear, this is not a real post

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The mana is just strictly worse in limited because all the good fixing in a set is rare.

A different mulligan rule for limited might help. Like maybe you could... Rummage instead of scrying if you mull? I dunno, everyone'd probably go to six if their seven wasn't an absolute nut draw.

Just make cycling evergreen, imo. :v:

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

Dungeon Ecology posted:

lets just separate spells and land into two decks and you get to choose which deck you get to draw from each time you would draw a card :bravo:

This would be fine if every land was a basic land imo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Siivola posted:

This is something I would not be surprised they're seriously contemplating.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Siivola posted:

This is the obvious fix, which has been obvious for fifteen years. If you fill your limited filler with scry and cycling cards, it reduces the number of non-games. Unfortunately you also need to reduce bullshit snowball cards or nonsense "answer this or die" cards at three and four mana, which have been increasingly common in recent years.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Sickening posted:

Also this venue is really nice and kicks the poo poo out of a lot other venues.

If it's the San Antonio Convention center then yea it's awesome. Being on the Riverwalk is sweet and when I went to pax a couple years ago they were renovating it.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

beergod posted:

It isn't all bad, the way in which you play your lands often matters, especially in older formats but it is relevant in standard and limited. It adds strategic depth, but having some games that are just determined by lands, not even counting the ones that are determined by drawing the wrong cards, does lead to more non-games than something like Hearthstone.

It is too late to change that aspect, but here's hoping they seriously consider making cycling a more permanent fixture, it was designed in part to fix that problem. There are other mechanics that do a similar job that can be used instead, especially since it might fit the flavor of the block better (Scry, any mechanic that rewards playing more lands like Morph/Landfall, cheap cantripping, etc) but it should be in more limited formats, which are probably the most popular and definitely the most effected.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Yep my exact deck except I am running 2 Molten rain and a Condem over the sudden shocks and 4th Destructive revelry (just Meta considerations locally)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dungeon Ecology posted:

my friends play something like this this and call it FreeDH. You have your deck and your lands separate, and you can see three lands from your land pile, when you take one to play another gets revealed. It leads to broken rear end games that I don't like playing because everyone can get super greedy with their deckbuilding because you will always have gas and never miss a land drop. They like it because it means magic plays more like Hearthstone.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

This scared the poo poo out of me last night because I forgot about April fool's.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

beergod posted:

This would be fine if every land was a basic land imo

Also if I get to choose which deck you mill

2 Startled Awake's and I effectively win would be hilarious

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

beergod posted:

Force of Will is the only real choice if you still want a magic-style experience. Otherwise, something more like Star Wars Destiny is probably more interesting to you since that has a guaranteed replenishment rate with a lot of back and forth play. It still has variance, being a dice game, but like X-wing miniatures the whole point of the game is to minimize your variance and allow for powerful one-hit-kills.

But yeah, magic's working on a clunky system from a bygone era from before Settlers of Catan, after which designers actually started looking at game design through a much clearer lens.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 1, 2017

Eikre
May 2, 2009
My chosen patch for mana-flood, if I were doing it all over, would have been to make every basic land a cantrip. This way, you would also have an upshot to trade away for duals and utility lands.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Netrunner was made a few years after Garfield made magic and is a much nicer asymmetric game. Been a while since I've played it but as I recall, you always gained 1 credit/turn and there are several ways to earn recurring credits after that for your economic engine. Sad that didn't take off instead.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Netrunner was made a few years after Garfield made magic and is a much nicer asymmetric game. Been a while since I've played it but as I recall, you always gained 1 credit/turn and there are several ways to earn recurring credits after that for your economic engine. Sad that didn't take off instead.

Same, especially after any mcmagic post.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Night Danger Moose posted:

This scared the poo poo out of me last night because I forgot about April fool's.

I think that's why they didn't change the flavor text.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

It's fake? :(

DoctorOozy posted:

The Grixis DS deck is the only grixis deck I've ever played that feels like it has a good burn matchup...

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 1, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

gently caress off. God dammit I just told myself I would not be fooled this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

That game owned. The Highlander game from that same era was also really fun. Both fast paced games that relied on strategy less than something like Magic (from my recollection) so not necessarily as cerebral but still very good.

• Locked thread