Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

HaitianDivorce posted:

So is there any way to make the Architect fights less bullshit on Hardcore? I just spent twenty minutes dancing around Eos hunting for ammo and avoiding that goddamned gatling gun looking for hard cover and plinking away at it with a Valkyrie and a Sandstorm to lose all that progress because I evaded into Jall's poncho one too many times.

Haven't played hardcore yet but if you're having ammo issues try remnant guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

HaitianDivorce posted:

So is there any way to make the Architect fights less bullshit on Hardcore? I just spent twenty minutes dancing around Eos hunting for ammo and avoiding that goddamned gatling gun looking for hard cover and plinking away at it with a Valkyrie and a Sandstorm to lose all that progress because I evaded into Jall's poncho one too many times.

what class? after a while the hard part of those fights is not falling asleep during its loving transitions

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Shouldn't the Volus have been on the Turian ark considering they're a client state and basically run the Turian economy.

Also now that I remember, what the hell was up with the Angaran researchers on Voeld that said they did a lot of molly in Australia? I'm sure they didn't actually say that but it sounded a lot like they actually said that.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

HaitianDivorce posted:

I just spent twenty minutes dancing around Eos hunting for ammo and avoiding that goddamned gatling gun looking for hard cover

Craft a Remnant weapon or put a vintage heat sink + magazine mod (to compensate for the reduced clip size) into a regular gun. The Backlash biotic skill can soak an entire volley from the main turret, so you have that you can get away with not being in cover and only dodging the telegraphed attacks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baron Corbyn posted:

Shouldn't the Volus have been on the Turian ark considering they're a client state and basically run the Turian economy.

Yup. Though that said, there is an argument for them riding on an Ark full of people in need of specialized atmospheric chambers. Sterile environment for the Quarians, cycle up the necessary gasses and pressure for the Volus.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Baron Corbyn posted:

Also now that I remember, what the hell was up with the Angaran researchers on Voeld that said they did a lot of molly in Australia? I'm sure they didn't actually say that but it sounded a lot like they actually said that.

The place name is Estraaja. Yep its fuckin bad

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Baron Corbyn posted:

Volus cant eat Turian food, can't breathe the air everyone else breathes, and they need specialized pressure requirements or they explode. I'd think that kind of overrides client status.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
That's Straya to youse. :colbert:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Brad Shoemaker's two star review on Giant Bomb has broken people's brains...

quote:

Personally, I think the characters, loyalty missions and side quests are, in general, fantastically written and engaging and I found myself feeling more of an attachment for my crew of the Tempest than I did on the Normandy. That stuff is the best its ever been. But the main story sucks. Its filled with continuous scifi cliches and boring antagonists. The handling of your "first contact" with both the Kett and the Angara was especially awful and carried zero weight in the story. Mostly there is a lot of missed potential and in that way, among other things, it feels a lot like Mass Effect 1. Its not a bad game, in fact I'm kind of loving a lot of what it offers, but it stumbles hard. The technical issues can be pretty bad, not even counting the dated animation. I don't think it should be excused for being released in the state its in, but it should be said that this is the most ambitious game Bioware has ever made. Its absolutely massive in scale and content and filled with over a thousand voiced characters - double the amount in Mass Effect 3. Nearing the end of my play-through, I'm absolutely enjoying my time with it, but hopeful for a more refined sequel, like we got with Mass Effect 2.

quote:

Maybe its because I've played on PC but youse guys have been WAAYYYY too hard on this game in a way that feel malicious and gleeful. I've put in maybe 30 hours and have had a great time, it's still providing a Star Trek experience no other game series is and I enjoy the characters alot. It's unfair to poo poo on them because in one game they're not as cool as Garrus, Talia, Wrex and Joker who I spent 3 games, 9 or so DLC packs, and 6 or 7 years with.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
People are way too focused on validating their choices and preferences in life, it's not enough to buy and enjoy a game and think it's fun, everybody else and most importantly professional reviewers have to agree with you exactly.

it's why stupid idiots sent Jim Sterling death threats because he didn't deliver the expected dick sucking to the new Zelda game, likewise.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Brad Shoemaker's two star review on Giant Bomb has broken people's brains...

That first one is positively unhinged, thanks for reposting it.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

The breakdown of traditional social structures has a lot to answer for.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Unrelated to that, but related to something I was complaining about the other day, why the hell didn't Bioware steal the collapsing helmet design from Dead Space? It would be a perfectly fine solution to having an in-story justification for helmets being off in conversations. I remember they used to do little promotional crossover cosmetic items for Dead Space and Dragon Age/Mass Effect and I wish they'd give you little Dead Space related items still for having achievements from that game.

I would also unironically pay 3 bucks to wear the Advanced Suit from Dead Space 2 because it's far and away a better looking suit than anything in this game. :colbert:

Edit: oh and am I crazy or was the inside of the Angaran shuttle in the save the scientist mission decorated like a human shuttle, with human props and English writing on the walls. And the Angaran fighters inexplicably were using Avengers instead of their own weapons. :psyduck:

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 1, 2017

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am sure 2/10 is too low for this game.

Except for my copy. My copy must be broken, I can't equip poo poo outside terminals. Like.. I want to use a consumable. Do I really I have to fast travel to a pod to do that?, what If I am in the middle of a combat with a architect, or just about to start a battle with a architect?.

The game let you mix skills from any class, and let you change class on the fly, but if you loot a new weapon and don't equip it immediately..... you can't equip it until a pod, really?

Somebody decided that unfun anal restructions should be part of the game. That should be punished somehow, and because I am against dead penalty, maybe a 2/10 is a good way to tell that person gently caress you, and to the person that designed the SAM warning system, gently caress you too, and to the guy that designed the trade screen, gently caress you, and the guy that disabled quicksaving in quests, gently caress you too, and the guy that invented the switch between 4w 6w, gently caress you too. 2/10 is a good gently caress you to many dumb decisions in this game.

There are good quest and good content in this game, buried in tons of poo poo, you could play for 40+ hours without finding a mission with custom props, that are not props reused from the open world.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

DancingShade posted:

If I rated games at all (which I don't) and I was using a 1-5 star system I'd say it's 4 star for depth of content but knock it down to a 3 for the bugs and massive amount of loading screen backtracking busywork for side quests.

A solid 3.5.

Multiplayer is a jankey broken mess with frequent crashes to desktop uncertain amounts of lag depending on which P2P host you have and objectively worse gameplay than the ME3 multiplayer so that's getting a 1.5/5 from me.

I also want to give it 4 stars for being almost as big as their last game, but the myriad game-breaking bugs, laughable animations, broken quests, terrible UI, inconsistent controls, samey enemies, convoluted crafting, boring sidequests, uninspired main plot, barely divergent moral choices, awful voice acting, ugly characters, one-dimensional squadmates, busted-rear end multiplayer lifted directly from ME3, and never properly explaining anything from the Scourge to Combat Profiles make me want to dock it half of a star.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I had my favorite clone bug so far during Liam's "armor diplomacy" cutscene where a nude Jaal clone appeared embedded inside of the table midway through the conversation. Unfortunately he disappeared after the cutscene was over.

The seismic hammer quest on Eos appears to be broken for me as well, I think I'm meant to talk to an NPC at the second site but there's nobody there, the marker just points to an empty space. I guess that's one Architect I won't be fighting.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Dr. Abysmal posted:

The seismic hammer quest on Eos appears to be broken for me as well, I think I'm meant to talk to an NPC at the second site but there's nobody there, the marker just points to an empty space. I guess that's one Architect I won't be fighting.
You should be able to get the NPC to show up by saving and reloading the game. Then you can talk to him and cause the game to lock up! (I eventually managed to talk to him and fight the Architect, after coming back 15 hours later)

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Tei posted:

I am sure 2/10 is too low for this game.

It would be indeed. Brad gave 4/10 or 2/5. ;)
Not really good and lower than I would, but it's not quite that bad.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Decius posted:

It would be indeed. Brad gave 4/10 or 2/5. ;)
Not really good and lower than I would, but it's not quite that bad.

Oops.. I tried to write 2/5. The score 2/10 is reserved for "This game have a nice menu screen and I am curious how the rest of the game look like, but the game don't even load the map".

And MEA is nothing like that. Theres a very good game here, buried under a lot of copy&paste content, low effort MMORPG-ish poo poo.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

red plastic cup posted:

Volus cant eat Turian food, can't breathe the air everyone else breathes, and they need specialized pressure requirements or they explode. I'd think that kind of overrides client status.

wouldn't the same be true of putting them on the Quarian ark though? They should retcon it so the Volus have their own ark and the biotic god from Mass Effect 2 is their pathfinder.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Never underestimate the power of a low video game rating to drive traffic for ad revenue from people emotionally invested.

Just don't do it to Zelda games or Nintendo fanatics will probably string you up in the street from the nearest lamp post.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Where can I find the initial reactions for the lovely animations and story?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Grouchio posted:

Where can I find the initial reactions for the lovely animations and story?

It was just the same two or three memelords pasting the same two or three gifs they got from editing their game files friend

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Tei posted:

Oops.. I tried to write 2/5. The score 2/10 is reserved for "This game have a nice menu screen and I am curious how the rest of the game look like, but the game don't even load the map".

And MEA is nothing like that. Theres a very good game here, buried under a lot of copy&paste content, low effort MMORPG-ish poo poo.

Would you say that good game is about 40% good buried under 60% poo poo?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Definitely wants to talk to your manager -

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

This movie night better be worth it after all this bullshit I'm having to do to get things set up. Obviously, it won't be.

(sidequest spoilers)

Liam: "Go download some movies from the Nexus archives!" Sure, I can do that next time I visit the Nexus, whatever.

Suvi: "We need snacks for this movie night thing and I found this cool recipe, go buy some gross plant on Aya so I can make the snacks!" Well, I had some stuff to take care of on Aya anyway so I'll keep an eye out

Vetra: "These snacks Suvi made are loving awful and I'll also die if I eat them, go buy better ones on Kadara!" :what: well this is getting kind of ridiculous but whatever I guess, I'm still playing this so it's not like I value my free time

Jaal: "Your Milky Way movies are terrible because they don't even make use of our superior angaran VR tech, I told Gil to build a proper setup so go buy some components for it on Aya!" From the same loving vendor who sold us the plant earlier and didn't have these in stock at that point! :shepicide:

Getting all the planets to 100% viability required less work than this, and I bet there's still at least three steps to this nonsense. For the most part I've been enjoying the game because my brain is horrendously broken, but the design of this sidequest is pretty much me_andromeda.txt.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 1, 2017

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

:xcom:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
has anyone actually died to the gas at the end of a vault? i decided to suicide to it and literally could not get it to kill me no matter what i did

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

About that salarian line. Wooh. Well yea, everyone is like fangirl for Krogans, but all the cool tech, a lot of it was made by the salarians. And the salarians have killed more krogans that they have existed (in a ratio of 10.000:1). In a way, salarians are cooler than krogans, they just have bad luck.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Verviticus posted:

that review seems to be comparing three games of character growth to one and then saying "well i didn't get close to them". did you really get close to space racist or emo biotic? the only likable non-krogan (who are free) char in ME1 is garrus

Yeah, that's kinda what I took from the review, too. I think the game feels like a side story that took more inspiration from ME1 than the rest of the series and its plot feels more akin to Star Trek '09 than the OT's loft space opera aspirations. I find myself liking the cast a lot more than the initial ME1 cast, too. Comparisons between Shepard and Ryder will always be there but Shepard was a hyper-capable, specially trained soldier with a variety of superficial elements you could change about his/her background.

The Ryders, however, are established characters with developed personalities and histories previous to Andromeda. I'm playing as Male Ryder and he's a well-meaning dude that's completely out of his element and is just making it up as he goes along. He's slowly but surely growing into the role of a commander and I think it's a decently written arc.

The game is definitely a 3/5 or 3.5/5 at best but the weird amount of hate it's garnered from the general public feels downright hyperbolic at times.

Drack is also a better Krogan than Wrex and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Vanderdeath posted:

Drack is also a better Krogan than Wrex and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

And Wrex was better than Grunt. It appears Krogan get better as they age.

Paper Planes
Mar 23, 2013

It's things like this that make me embarrassed to admit I play video games at times.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Vanderdeath posted:

The game is definitely a 3/5 or 3.5/5 at best but the weird amount of hate it's garnered from the general public feels downright hyperbolic at times.

A lot of games have been having bad launches or serious issues on release that were apparently not evident in QA, dishonest marketing, etc., and given that EA is the publisher of this, Sim City, and Battlefield 4, I think it's probably a good thing if they get smacked for not having their poo poo together. This isn't an indie title, they spent hundreds of millions of dollars on this poo poo and it still has laughably obvious problems.

I also imagine that a lot of people would've been far more forgiving of the game's writing and character issues if it had otherwise been technically competent and ran smoothly without crashing, but since it doesn't it kills people's ability to get into the game and stick with it. That matters and even if they patch the game a lot of people will have set off for other games and won't return, especially with how much people seem to be souring on the multiplayer. It doesn't really make me happy, but honestly I understand why people feel how they do and I think they're basically right, I'm just more forgiving of the game and its bullshit.

^ :wtc:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

The Ryders, however, are established characters with developed personalities and histories previous to Andromeda. I'm playing as Male Ryder and he's a well-meaning dude that's completely out of his element and is just making it up as he goes along. He's slowly but surely growing into the role of a commander and I think it's a decently written arc.

im guessing sara and scott are the same character just male/female but yeah, i like sara way more than i like shepard because she's an actual person with character development

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Tei posted:

About that salarian line. Wooh. Well yea, everyone is like fangirl for Krogans, but all the cool tech, a lot of it was made by the salarians. And the salarians have killed more krogans that they have existed (in a ratio of 10.000:1). In a way, salarians are cooler than krogans, they just have bad luck.

I really like them, especially now that they really look the most alien with how tall they are (hey, different body sizes for people would be cool in general. But I would already be happy with more than one Asari or Turian face model). Was pretty bummed they dropped the Salarian away team member.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
(Minor spoilers for a sidequest)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYgUhXDDio

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Paper Planes posted:

It's things like this that make me embarrassed to admit I play video games at times.

If you don't agree with me or voice a differing opinion that makes you literally worse than Hitler

- every internet discussion ever

(it's not just video games)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Vanderdeath posted:

No it's deffo not average to above average, sorry.

It's a technical mess and a absolute failure of a story

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

No it's deffo not average to above average, sorry.

It's a technical mess and a absolute failure of a story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You guys realize you can still have fun with bad games right? You're not killing a puppy every 5 minutes you play or anything.