Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
imagine if that picture was of nami, we'd be guessing half of the cast of one piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

anime was right posted:

imagine if that picture was of nami, we'd be guessing half of the cast of one piece

While it's true all the pretty women of one piece are drawn the same, all the ugly ones are unique for the most part.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
To be fair, Oda's been doing good so far with the Charlotte family.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
World newspaper magnate "Big News" Morgan is going to join the straw hat crew.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Work Friend Keven posted:

World newspaper magnate "Big News" Morgan is going to join the straw hat crew.

Morgans not Morgan. That name is already taken.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

World axe hand magnate "Axe Hand" Morgan will also be joining the crew.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
"Organ" Dealer Jigra will be joining as a nakama.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Gangster Gastino is going to join the crew and fill the vital role of gang member

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

none of this is true. this is all fanfiction

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

World axe hand magnate "Axe Hand" Morgan will also be joining the crew.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
absalom is gonna report to the news about the strawhat wedding crashers and hopefully leave a little quip about morgans and how not good he is at reporting big news

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oddium posted:

none of this is true. this is all fanfiction

you're right, jinbei will live

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

drjuggalo posted:

absalom is gonna report to the news about the strawhat wedding crashers and hopefully leave a little quip about morgans and how not good he is at reporting big news

Absalom trying to save Pudding like Sanji saved Nami would be pretty hilarious.

Absalom and Sanji fighting over a continuously edging closer to breaking kayfabe Pudding would be the absolute best way for the whole Kill Big Mom plan to go pear shaped.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Just had a random thought while reading the OP wiki, could Kumadori from CP9 be originally from Wano? He's got the whole Kabuki schtick going on, plus the seppuku gag that Oda later reprised with Kanjuro. It's admittedly a pretty nebulous connection but an interesting possibility, iirc Kumadori trained with the rest of CP9 since childhood but he could easily have been born on Wano and spent his early childhood there.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Why not? Bepo is a mink, there's been plenty of giants, so New World inhabitants have been all over the place. It might well come up later if true.

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
Zoro is probably from Wano and just got lost as poo poo once he left. What else are you going to call the island he's from if not "samurai island?"

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Minion of Freya posted:

Zoro is probably from Wano and just got lost as poo poo once he left. What else are you going to call the island he's from if not "samurai island?"

i hope zoro is a normal dude from a normal place because that makes him a lot cooler. if he is from wano, i hope like his dad was the janitor and he uses three broom style

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it'd be a funny gag but I don't think that's actually true

his teacher is def gonna be from wano originally tho

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Gyges posted:

Absalom should marry Pudding in Sanjis place by sneaking the kiss and then the next cover story is him and Pudding settling down in a post-candy world.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Gyges posted:

Absalom and Sanji fighting over a continuously edging closer to breaking kayfabe Pudding would be the absolute best way for the whole Kill Big Mom plan to go pear shaped.

this would be the best one piece gag ever

also i hella cosign the kumadori from wano theory

also also theres no way in hell zoro is gonna be from wano theres the flashback when dragon takes sabo where he's already doing huge lifts as a kid he's just a really tough customer

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Man the art in these last few chapters has been completely off the chain

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Crosspostin' cause lol

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Aurora posted:

Crosspostin' cause lol

The translator is being dumb here, though. Even if you insist on translating the name, in context it's clearly meant to be "Potato Starch" (with the -ko ending removed because he's male), not "Dogtooth."

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Oh yeah I know, I hate MS

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

They should just call him Starchy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Call him Bob, it's more fun.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
What a bunch of dorks.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Pudding should have been Purina.

You know, like the dog food.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
the viz translation is just charlotte whatever his japanese name is which is a step up from DOGTOOTH

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dogtooth is an awesome name and objectively incorrect.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the viz translation of zoro is zolo

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

do they really still translate zoro like that

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I believe Viz also still uses the Americanized names that Funimation made up for Detective Conan (Shinichi -> Jimmy, Kogoro -> Richard, etc) even though they didn't start releasing the series until after the dub stopped 13 years ago.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Aurora posted:

Oh yeah I know, I hate MS

Same.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Erythronium japonicum, known as Asian fawnlily in English and katakuri in Japanese, is a pink-flowered species trout lily, belonging to the Lily family and native to Japan, Korea, the Russian Far East (Sakhalin Island, Kuril Islands) and northeastern China (Jilin and Liaoning). It is a spring ephemeral, blooming April–June in woodlands.

The katakuriko (片栗粉 "katakuri powder"), is a starch that bears the name of this plant, which originally refers to the starch from the E. japonicum bulb. Because of its small quantity, this starch is no longer common; potato starch has taken its place and name nowadays.

This plant is not known to be farmed, and has been harvested from wild colonies by poachers, but probably not by seekers of starch sources, but by wildflower enthusiasts or traffickers.

The plant powder was also used as ointment to treat rashes.

The rumor that it is used in wagashi, particularly in the confection called katakuri-rakugan is apocryphal, since historian Kahei Mori (ja) states that this confection, which used to be traditionally presented to Morioka Domain, was made from the starch of lily bulbs.

Erythronium dens-canis (common name dog's-tooth-violet or dogtooth violet) is a bulbous herbaceous perennial flowering plant in the family Liliaceae, growing to 25 cm (10 in). It is native to central and southern Europe from Portugal to Ukraine. It is the only naturally occurring species of Erythronium in Europe.

Its leaves may be consumed raw in salad, or boiled as a leaf vegetable. The bulb is also the source of a starch used in making vermicelli.

The lily is a reoccurring motif in One Piece. Lily was one of Bellamy's crew mates, Lily Carnation was the prime visual antagonist of film 6, Amazon Lily is where the Kuja live, Lily Enstomach was the giant who ate the mini-mini fruit in the Film Z filler.

With such a mass of corollary evidence, Dogtooth is a weird choice for translation since the japonicum variety is one of the varieties of Erythronium that does not bear the common name of Dog Tooth. Given the food naming convention of most of the Charlotte family would lean towards calling hims Starch.

Let's split the difference and call him Charlotte Dens Canis Starch.

A MEGA EXPLODING
Oct 4, 2012

I may be an underachiever, but I do have a name!

oh word

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Manatee Cannon posted:

do they really still translate zoro like that

Probably. I mean, America has a much more well known Zorro and the copyright holders of that series might knock on their door if they kept it as Zoro.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

zorro is public domain

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

There's nothing stopping them from using Zoro other than they went with Zolo when they started and they want to keep it consistent, at least with their releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

mabels big day posted:

There's nothing stopping them from using Zoro other than they went with Zolo when they started and they want to keep it consistent, at least with their releases.

Tbf there's a few things the Funi dub outright changed over the years like Marine > Navy and Spirit > Haki, probably because Toei made them, so I'm pretty cool with it just staying Zolo because Toei made Viz too.