Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
holy lol penny with the best line of the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Josh is such a great foil for Eliot and Margo.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Why is Elliot so loving gay? You're the High King of Fillory, not a GOP Congressman.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It's a real pity season one sucked so much. I'd really like to recommend this show to people, but then I remember season one and I just can't.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Tiggum posted:

It's a real pity season one sucked so much. I'd really like to recommend this show to people, but then I remember season one and I just can't.

I think it got better the last 4-5 episodes right around the haunted house episode. Once they were out of school the show got much better.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

S1 is fine but strangely paced between adapting the hard break from school to Fillory and integrating half a book's work of Julia storylines.

I'm glad they're getting back into the adventures from Book 2. Hunting for dragons is great fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"Would it be weird if I hosed Josh?"

"I hope it would be weird."

I loving love Margo.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Quentin you dumbass, you'd sooner be killed by Renard than release Alice, but then later that night release Alice, gently caress you

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I don't know if I'd like the show nearly as much if it had better character building.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, it was basically pushed as his last resort or he'll die so it didn't bother me at all. That's different from a heat of the moment situation that he did actually get out of without her, even if by luck.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

holy lol penny with the best line of the show

Penny is basically the best character

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fast Luck posted:

Quentin you dumbass

Pretty much sums him up almost all of the time, really. He might be the 'main' character but he generally kinda sucks at most everything, which I think is the point so I give him a pass.

As everyone says, Penny is MVP.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Rhyno posted:

"Would it be weird if I hosed Josh?"

"I hope it would be weird."

I loving love Margo.

She's my favorite character. Drops hilarious one-liners and her constant lack of giving a poo poo is the best. :allears:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Pretty much sums him up almost all of the time, really. He might be the 'main' character but he generally kinda sucks at most everything, which I think is the point so I give him a pass.

As everyone says, Penny is MVP.

Also hairy chest MVP

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I think the first takeaway is that Q is terrible. The second takeaway is that Alice is also terrible.

Even Martin Chatwin is more likeable. Reyard might even be more likeable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

anothergod posted:

I think the first takeaway is that Q is terrible. The second takeaway is that Alice is also terrible.

Even Martin Chatwin is more likeable. Reyard might even be more likeable.

Thank god we have Elliot, Margot and Penny to balance things out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I kind of hate Elliot too. Like, he can be more amusing at times but he's just as much of a mopey, emo, self destructive rear end in a top hat as Quentin.

To tell you the truth, I hate everyone except Penny. I've got some sympathy for Katey and Julia, I guess, but they're assholes too.

And Penny's a loving rear end in a top hat too, he's just mad at the show so we're on the same page.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
I love this show about mopey emo self-destructive assholes, aside from that asylum episode from season 1 this has been a fun existential romp through Traumaland.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I know Penny is a favorite, but he has been getting on my nerves. His overly antagonistic attitude was fun for a while, and I especially enjoy it when he calls out Quentin, but it feels like he has had absolutely zero character development. He's basically the same Penny as Season 1 Episode 1, except now he can Travel (but can't cast spells).

In stark contrast, Julia for instance went from a total non-believer to a hedge-witch to getting tricked and raped by a god to aborting her god-child to committing genocide on talking trees. It's night and day.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

enraged_camel posted:

In stark contrast, Julia for instance went from a total non-believer to a hedge-witch to getting tricked and raped by a god to aborting her god-child to committing genocide on talking trees. It's night and day.

It's an interesting facet that in the alt timelines, Julia went to Brakebills and was basically Hermione Granger. Her current state of affairs is Hermione if things went very, very wrong.

It's hosed up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Julia's become a great character this season. Shadeless Julia is even better.

There's talking trees here???

Well, there used to be.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Reminds me of soulless Sam from Supernatural without the rampant sex.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Julia's unquestionably the most interesting and tragic character on the show.

Penny's pretty one dimensional, for sure. But most of the characters are. The only real growth most of them have gotten is tragedy or curses. Penny's basically the least developed character because he's suffered the least amount of emotional and psychology damage through all of this. He got his hands back and he's loving Kady again. All things told he might have come out of this better since the Beast isn't whispering in his ear anymore.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

He is now contractually obligated to staff a magical library for a million years or whatever it was. Though actually maybe that's not so bad. "Your eternal soul will manifest as a librarian for eons" is perhaps better than whatever the alternative options are for an afterlife in this setting. He can still travel and stuff.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it theoretically sucks but we don't actually know what it means besides he has a sucky job. And half of it sucking is just his bad attitude.

Of course he is expected to kill himself if someone hexes him to try and get at a room full of evil books. So that sucks. But that's kind of the magical equivalent of your boss expecting you to work on Saturdays.

But I'd still say that puts him ahead of having spent his entire life having to drug himself into a stupor to ignore the voices in his head.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe Evil Deaf Lady will destroy the library and free Penny of his obligation.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm just saying, as far as bad jobs go having a million years to access all the information and knowledge of the universe while having to make some collection runs really ain't that bad on the surface and has some obvious perks.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, it theoretically sucks but we don't actually know what it means besides he has a sucky job. And half of it sucking is just his bad attitude.

Of course he is expected to kill himself if someone hexes him to try and get at a room full of evil books. So that sucks. But that's kind of the magical equivalent of your boss expecting you to work on Saturdays.

But I'd still say that puts him ahead of having spent his entire life having to drug himself into a stupor to ignore the voices in his head.

Nah, remember season 1, the librarian was excited that Penny was a traveller. He'll use this excuse to jump around to Earth and other worlds (and perhaps occasionally retrieve a rare tomb to keep in good graces, but in Magicians tradition he'll probably gently caress this up).

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

Or the magical equivalent of a cyanide capsule instead of giving up nuclear codes.

Given how insanely incompetent and short-sighted magicians are, it's probably the right call. "This god-killing spell can kill a god! Also maybe destroy spacetime! I'm sure that won't happen, though..."

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

"No, I'm going to eat you. I'm a loving dragon, what did you expect?"

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

geeves posted:

"No, I'm going to eat you. I'm a loving dragon, what did you expect?"

This dragon CGI is pretty well done for TV.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

This dragon CGI is pretty well done for TV.

I thought they just copied the dragon from Shrek.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I did the same double take Julia did

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

mastershakeman posted:

I did the same double take Julia did

My wife was extremely confused. "Man they can't get rid of this guy".

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

You want to gently caress that librarian?

You want to lick her rear end in a top hat?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SLOSifl posted:

You want to gently caress that librarian?

You want to lick her rear end in a top hat?

I do

:getin:

I like that they're keeping Julia a huge wildcard with everything that's happening. Even sans shade she still has a bit of caring for Quentin, even if it's slightly manipulative.

:sexception:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"I trufied you"

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
The Magicians: loving Millennials

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SLOSifl posted:

The censoring is pretty half assed anyway. It's like they choose to clip only the 'c' in 'gently caress' for example.

The show is censored? Granted I'm watching it on HBO Nordic, but I haven't noticed any censoring.