Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tevery Best posted:

While we wait: I am in the process of updating the banners, so if anyone does not currently have a banner that reflects their actual command and wants one, please quote this post.

I was gonna ask for one, but i don't think the 21st exists in any coherent form anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Tevery Best posted:

While we wait: I am in the process of updating the banners, so if anyone does not currently have a banner that reflects their actual command and wants one, please quote this post.

Wouldn't mind one for 20th Infantry as long as I'm still kicking.

Also :rip: rest of 7th Division.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

my dad posted:

I'd rather just keep things as they are and hopefully watch an enemy division melt. Let's dig in.

Yeah, that;s what Im thinking. We've made all the decisions, now to see the results.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I was just thinking since my big guns are ammoless until morning it might be worth moving them closer and south a bit so they can provide supporting fire to both effyaders and the 20th in the morning. I haven't had a chance to even look at a map yet though. I'll be in roll20 in a few hours.

Also is there any chance by morning they might have pushed through the centre?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

AbortRetryFail posted:

Also is there any chance by morning they might have pushed through the centre?

Well, a bit less now that we cut their phone lines. That having been said, the south might be safe for your guns now.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Trin, what's going on with my division command chit? Have I gotten terribly lost in the night? :ohdear:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
e: nvm

my dad fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 1, 2017

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I count at least 4 German MG chits in Efyaders, so that's two brigades, plus a third coming in. That's a whole drat division. Good luck in the western trenches.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Effyaders will be a word spoken only in hushed tones after I'm through. I will turn it into a funeral pyre for whatever Militarist Huns decided they were going to challenge the might of the British Artillery.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

7th Division Orders

OBJECTIVE: Keep the Southern approach under control, and establish artillery support in the area.

Your orders are simple this time, and I have just one image for both of you.

Division Command: Move out and follow behind the Artillery. Keep 4" behind the rear guns at all times. Follow the magenta arrow into Blob and entrench. (See image for exact position)

20th Infantry Brigade: No new orders. Use your best judgement if you want to retreat early, holding position beyond 0700 is optional. I will then be sending you to dig some trenches in Bois de Coq unless you are needed elsewhere.

21st Infantry Brigade: RIP

22nd Infantry Brigade: RIP

Artillery Brigade: Go South along the road and set up behind the 20th

Follow the arrow be prepared to drop guns and fire should you encounter hostiles. Once you arrive set your guns up ready to fire on new targets to the North emerging from Effyaders forest, Northeast push from Center, and possibly straight up depending on whether it starts raining or not. Coordinate with the 25th Infantry Brigade to make sure your chits don't overlap.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 2, 2017

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

ARF I have to disagree. I think moving out when we appear to have half the German army now safely ensconced in effyaders is a really bad idea. The division should be moving up (or actually not moving at all that would seem to work) to contain the forest on the south and eastern edges. If we can lock it down and most importantly not make idiot charges then all of the artillery can turn it into a hell of broken trunks and high velocity splinters.

I think splitting our forces before the German northern push is dealt with is a supremely poor idea.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

The idea is that you have no meaningful way of contributing to the North until 0800 due to lack of ammunition, at which point the attack will be over (either they are dead or we have driven them further south) into the 25th. While the South is relatively peaceful right now, after seeing how many infantry brigades we have up North there is going to be some sort of push in the south or center as soon as they get more manpower (i.e. any point from now onwards) to try break through at weak points once they get fresh troops in.

As far as I understand your current position in the valley means you can't hit anyone with direct fire on the forest edge or in front of the infantry since they are out of sight.

Since our defense in the South is a single wounded brigade, I'd like them to have some ability to deal with an attack. From the position you will also be able to hit the center, and conduct counter-battery on their southern artillery once we've determined it's location.

We've also just cut off their communication lines completely, so they're probably panicking over this and wondering how the hell we managed it. They will need to send some sort of force to investigate, meaning I expect the Northern attack to not include any new units.

Even with your artillery on the southern side of the map, the majority of our artillery power (60 pounders) can hit anywhere in Effyaders.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 1, 2017

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Ah! Forgot about the 60s. That should do it. Still wary of leaving the southern edge of the forest open - are we planning to move anyone to a point where they can cover it?

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

The 25th is facing that way from Blob as far as I know buit I have to check with Tehan / Loel

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

There's a lesson here for me: don't post tactics from bed.

On another note, were we hit by any German artillery fire in the night? I can't seem to find any reports which suggests to me that their arty is on the march again. I was working under the impression that they were bringing it up to the fords, but it might be worth us all giving a bit of thought to where it might end up come daybreak.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

If there were no more strikes they're either out of ammo or moving. They'll definitely want to move it up at some point now.

Also everyone keep in mind we just cut all their wires, so the German orders at effyaders aren't likely to change on turn 1 (I think? I just can't remember how these things work)

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I've discussed the potential uses of the artillery with ARF. Until dawn, it can direct fire only.

Southern Defence:

As per ARF's plan. I don't think units will be deploying south any time soon, since they got savaged in the south and broke through on the north. ARF is correct that the south is lightly defended right now, but a) I don't see how the enemy could know that, b) the ambush team would be able to see off any probing force, and c) the 25th could be easily redeployed to cover the south if needed.

Northern Defence:

The first scenario for an Effyaders breakout. The enemy advances (as they seem to be currently doing) and manages to break through the 23rd, leaving my division's guns vulnerable. Considering there is up to a division strength already in Effyaders and possibly more reinforcements coming, this is possible no matter how bravely the 23rd fight. In this scenario, I would very much like the artillery on hand to pour in additional fire from the flank.

Also keep in mind with how badly our glorious rogue general has savaged the enemy's communications, it is possible that they will continue heading west even if they'd try to order otherwise now that they know we have a line of defence there.

Central Defence:

The second scenario for an Effyaders breakout. The enemy manages to break off engagement with the 23rd and instead head south, towards where they sighted our artillery. This position would let that artillery assist in repulsing the attempted breakout.

Whatever the deployment, the guns can easily redeploy as dawn approaches to once more send indirect fire to wherever needed. Thoughts? Input? Orders one way or the other from on high?

E: Also being discussed: the former J-trench ambushers will be racking up a second fatigue point at dawn, so it'd probably be a good idea to rotate them out in favour of the 25th.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 1, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

These are all things that make sense to me. We should pick the option that matches Corps Command directives.

Another thing, our ambush position over the ford is gonna be weakened at dawn by restocking of german artillery, an additional fatigue point, what have you. I'd like to move them back either at dawn or earlier (preferably earlier in case they are locked in combat when the clock strikes).

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
There's three points of defence for those southern two crossings: The J trench, the ambush trench, and a theoretical new set of trenches that we could start digging now and be done with by dawn:

The J Trench is tried and true, but that means the enemy is going to be filling it with shells if they even think of pushing south again. The ambush trench is bold and shocking, but is vulnerable if it is spotted before it managed to pull the titular ambush. The new trench would cover both crossing points better than the J trench did and would be unexpected by the enemy, but would require digging and would be further away from the rest of the force than the J trench.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I think the central defence strategy is a good move on either breakout contingency. I know there's a few hours until I pick up more ammo for indirect fire, but relocating to the indicated position would let me direct fire on any potential move south or west, provided that there's some form of spotting.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

lenoon posted:

ould let me direct fire on any potential move south or west, provided that there's some form of spotting

Stop me if I'm wrong, but isn't the direct fire range only 18", and it's only longer for indirect/supporting fire which takes ammo?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tehan posted:

There's three points of defence for those southern two crossings: The J trench, the ambush trench, and a theoretical new set of trenches that we could start digging now and be done with by dawn:

The J Trench is tried and true, but that means the enemy is going to be filling it with shells if they even think of pushing south again. The ambush trench is bold and shocking, but is vulnerable if it is spotted before it managed to pull the titular ambush. The new trench would cover both crossing points better than the J trench did and would be unexpected by the enemy, but would require digging and would be further away from the rest of the force than the J trench.

Try running this scenario in your head: What happens if the enemy attacks you if you stay? What happens if the enemy attacks in the second location? What difference would the move make? If there is no significant difference, why move?

my dad fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 1, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Im at work for the next 12 hours, but General Directive until then.

Contain Effyaders. We've got them in the cauldron, now begin the cooking.

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 2, 2017

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

mllaneza posted:

I count at least 4 German MG chits in Efyaders, so that's two brigades, plus a third coming in. That's a whole drat division. Good luck in the western trenches.

Went back over the turns and tried to put together an account of all German units that have so far been spotted. Right now it looks like there are 4 infantry brigades in Effyaders (1x overstrength, 2x near-full strength, 1x heavily damaged).

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

1st Cavalry Brigade - ROUTED
First spotted Day 1 at Stethoscope
Routed by SixKiller and XtheTenth

2nd Cavalry Brigade - UNKNOWN, see 5th Cavalry Brigade
First spotted Day 1 at Stethoscope
Retreats with heavy damage after attack by XtheTenth
Current whereabouts unknown, possibly same unit as 5th Cavalry Brigade

3rd Cavalry Brigade - ROUTED
First spotted approaching Stethoscope on Day 1
Kills XtheTenth
Suspected to have stayed in Bois de Blob overnight
Routed by mllaneza and Effigies in Bois de Blob

4th Cavalry Brigade - ROUTED
First spotted heading north from M7 fords towards center defenses on Day 2
Routed by mllaneza and Mon Pere

5th Cavalry Brigade? - ROUTED
First spotted crossing M5 center ford toward Effyaders Forest on Day 2
Possibly 2nd Cavalry Brigade with overnight cavalry chit reinforcements - missing full MG complement
Retreats suppressed after attempting to charge Mon Pere
Routed by indirect artillery fire at M2 ford

1st Infantry Brigade - KILLED
First spotted crossing M2 ford on Day 2
Brigade HQ killed by Istvun...remaining MG and infantry retreat across M2 ford and join up with 4th Infantry Brigade

2nd Infantry Brigade - ALIVE, currently in M2 ford trenches
First spotted crossing M2 ford on Day 2
Kills Istvun
Brigade HQ retreats during Mon Pere charge
Kills Mon Pere
3 MGs & 1 TM currently in M2 ford trenches, ~3 Infantry chits somewhere in rear with Brigade HQ
Assisted routing mllaneza

3rd Infantry Brigade - ROUTED
First spotted crossing southern Bridge on Day 2
Routed by Effigies and indirect artillery

4th Infantry Brigade - ALIVE, suspected to be somewhere in Effyaders Forest
First spotted approaching on M1 road on Day 2
Gained 5 infantry and 1 MG from 1st Infantry Brigade - 125% strength
Assisted routing mllaneza
Last spotted along eastern edge of Effyaders Forest

5th Infantry Brigade - ALIVE, currently somewhere in Effyaders Forest
First spotted just west of M2 trench line during Day 2 night
Lost ~3 infantry chits during 21st Bde attack, number of chits retreat while suppressed
Routed mllaneza
Likely spent last few turns reorganizing from mllaneza attack

6th Infantry Brigade? - ALIVE, currently northeast of 23rd Brigade (Mon Pere)
First spotted approaching western edge of Effyaders Forest during Day 2 night with advance scouts
Unclear whether same unit as 5th Infantry - does not appear to have battle damage from fight with mllaneza

1st Artillery - ALIVE, suspected northwest of Stethoscope
First spotted firing from Ferme Inutille on Day 2
Still located at Ferme Inutille in afternoon of Day 2
One artillery chit spotted at 2-35 to the north of Ferme Inutille...may be heading to road for relocation

2nd Artillery - ALIVE, suspected west of Stethoscope
First spotted by scout plane between Stethoscope and Tallis Douche in afternoon of Day 2

1x Cavalry Engineer chit spotted in south on 2-35, likely built southern bridge cross. Whereabouts unknown.

1x Cavalry Engineer chit spotted in rear around M1/M2 fords...may be setting up bridge in north. Whereabouts unknown.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

my dad posted:

Well, a bit less now that we cut their phone lines. That having been said, the south might be safe for your guns now.

I have been too busy to get involved but it was hard to tell from the last report- how badly and where did he cut comms? How does that work?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ramc posted:

I have been too busy to get involved but it was hard to tell from the last report- how badly and where did he cut comms? How does that work?

Basically, roads on the map represent both roads and telephone lines. The phone lines for both sides are tracked separately, and need to connect to the respective side's reinforcement zone in order to work. Every time a unit moves over road, it erases enemy phone lines without harming their own. Engineers can repair this damage. Division commanders need phone access (via being in a connected town or in a trench within 8 inches from a connected road) to avoid their brigades having a penalty to their roll for changing orders. It's unknown how large this penalty actually is. It was horrific last game, seems to just another modifier in this one.

Bacarruda's chit crossed both roads that connect to La Dand, so any division general to the west of the cuts is going to be out of phone contact - hopefully this includes the commander of those units in the forest.

Ultimately, on its own, it means very little. The enemy has a slightly higher chance of having delayed orders. But the modifiers accumulate. It's nighttime. That's one modifier. Units can be more than 30 inches from their commander - that's another modifier. Units can be more than 8 inches away from the road - that's another modifier. Units can be in combat - that's another modifier. With enough of these in action at once, enemy orders are far more likely to only reach some of their units and cause them to act piecemeal, it makes their units more likely to react too slowly (especially important when artillery is in play), and so on.

There may be other modifiers in play which we aren't fully aware of. This is just what we know so far.

However, we do know one extra thing: The enemy will be notified if a commander suddenly loses phone contact. And since there's only one way for that to happen, we just sent them the message "We have someone in your back lines"

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Effigies, thats really good work.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

my dad posted:

However, we do know one extra thing: The enemy will be notified if a commander suddenly loses phone contact. And since there's only one way for that to happen, we just sent them the message "We have someone in your back lines"

I think our aggression throughout the game will amplify this as well. We haven't been timid - indeed, we still aren't being timid. All they know is that we have a solid wall in front of them at Effyaders and that we've been throwing Brigades at them for literally two days.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
gently caress. Edited the post in the wrong thread. xD

My estimate of their numbers: 2 artillery, 8 infantry, 4 cavalry, minus the ones we killed, plus any reinforcements on the way

my dad fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 1, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
gently caress

Can someone check how far that enemy cavalry advanced on the southern road? The Blob trench our division commander is moving into may be out of phone contact range.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

my dad posted:

Well I can appreciate the chaos of piecemeal orders going through.

Is there anything stopping the german army in this picture from just hugging the north edge of the map to skirt your dudes and hit the artillery?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I expect their orders are "engage when enemies sighted", which means they are going through the wall.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

my dad posted:

gently caress

Can someone check how far that enemy cavalry advanced on the southern road? The Blob trench our division commander is moving into may be out of phone contact range.

Back at the start of the battle Trin stated that Division commanders lay their own telephone lines as they advance, so it shouldn't be an issue. Also, the German cavalry came up through the J trench to enter Blob so there shouldn't be any breaks further west.

edit - specifically, I asked Trin if we could pre-cut the 2 o'clock and 4 o'clock roads out of Stethoscope and he stated it wouldn't affect any Division HQs that moved up to Stethoscope later.

Terrifying Effigies fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 1, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ramc posted:

Is there anything stopping the german army in this picture from just hugging the north edge of the map to skirt your dudes and hit the artillery?

Nighttime. Hard to do precision orders.

Vision. Our guys are placed in such a way as to make it impossible for a brigade sized formation to sneak through there.

Lack of vision. They don't actually know our artillery is there. They are about to find out via HE shells raining down on them, mind you.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Back at the start of the battle Trin stated that Division commanders lay their own telephone lines as they advance, so it shouldn't be an issue. Also, the German cavalry came up through the J trench to enter Blob so there shouldn't be any breaks further west.

I don't think so, they just carry the amount they need to connect to the existing phonelines when entrenched. Can you like me to the relevant post?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
nvm

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

my dad posted:

I don't think so, they just carry the amount they need to connect to the existing phonelines when entrenched. Can you like me to the relevant post?

Went back and pulled the discussion from chat...Trin doesn't really say what happens if/when we retake an area the Germans have been through. In this case I think ARF will still have a connection back from where he's parking in Bois de Blob, but it'd be good if Trin can confirm the mechanics.

quote:

Effigies (GM): Question @Trin - is it possible for our units to proactively cut telephone wires along roads, and if so, does it impact a units actions for the turn or is it just two blokes with wirecutters scrambling up a pole?
Trin Tragula (GM): You will automatically cut the wires leading back to the enemy's telephone zone as you go
xthetenth (6th cav) (GM): I like how I'm still running the 6th cav, that's amusing.
tbk (GM): it's totemic
Trin Tragula (GM): this one is possibly tilted very slightly towards being a game mechanic than a realistic thing
my dad (GM): So, we can't cut our own wires/
?
Effigies (GM): I was thinking on the lines of cutting the lines on 6/9/12 oclock road to slow down the German advance
Trin Tragula (GM): No, and why would you want to?
my dad (GM): I mean
If I fear the enemy may advance beyong some point
Trin Tragula (GM): The mechanic is that there is a set of wires that goes to Germans
Germany
Effigies (GM): they'd have to inspect the lines as they advance before they can redeploy forward
Trin Tragula (GM): And a set of wires that goes to England
my dad (GM): Ah
Effigies (GM): so they're laying their own wires as they go
Trin Tragula (GM): You will always cut the wires that go to Germany and leave the wires to England intact
my dad (GM): Ah.
Good to know
tbk (GM): we will defend our wires, no matter the cost
my dad (GM): Thanks
Effigies (GM): dang, was hoping for some dirty tricks as we retreated
my dad (GM): @Effigies not quite that
Like, there's two separate sets of wire on the roads
one is ours
one is theirs
tbk (GM): we will fight them in the telegraph office, we will fight them on the poles, we will fight with growing confidence and strength in the airwaves
Effigies (GM): yep
my dad (GM): so we CAN do the dirty tricks
Trin Tragula (GM): you just don't have to specify that you do them
whenever you're on a road, you cut

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ah. There is no "laying down of wires". The wires are already there.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

my dad posted:

Try running this scenario in your head: What happens if the enemy attacks you if you stay? What happens if the enemy attacks in the second location? What difference would the move make? If there is no significant difference, why move?

Put like that, I'm definitely supporting them remaining in the ambush position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Major General Tehan III, 8th Infantry Division:

23rd: Remain where you are and see off any Boche attacks at all costs. If the enemy penetrates your lines, they will have unfettered access to our artillery.

24th: As above.

25th: Take up defensive positions as per previous orders and prepare to fire upon any enemies emerging from the southern edge of Effyaders.
See: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809299&pagenumber=53#post470947483

Artillery: Use your best judgement to fire at positions likely to hold enemy forces, prioritizing confirmed sightings inside Effyaders from the 23rd and 24th, especially laying down supporting fire should the skirmishes escalate into a battle. As the boss said, start cooking the cauldron.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 2, 2017

• Locked thread