Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Cardboard Box posted:

i seriously think it's one of the best games i've ever played and i don't make claims like that often. if this game gets overlooked during game of the year discussions i'll be really sad

It's in my top 5 at least. And only in that category instead of #1 because all games up there are really stellar and/or special to me

Josuke Higashikata posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wScHE28K8

There's an untranslated 13 minute documentary released about Taro Yoko that came out today.

It's pretty funny just to look at him all masked up.

e: Tell a lie, my captions just weren't working. Gonna say it's not full spoiler safe though just as a precaution

Taro is adorable

Nina fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Fereydun posted:

gonna quote myself from earlier in the thread cuz someone else mentioned this as well. also the 2b in a literal pantsuit is great

that question is a major part what forms 2b's character- the person who she exists as in the moment, the 2b who loves 9s can be lost just as easily as 9s loses his personhood. the version of 9s that goes out of his way to try and kill her in that short story is just more proof to 2b that the only way she can continue her existence is to continue her duty. it's why she has such a large focus on memories and experience.

hang on what's this short story you mention

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

BBJoey posted:

hang on what's this short story you mention

There are spoilers in here so make sure you've cleared route C first.

http://nier2.com/blog/2017/03/07/nierautomata-world-guide-novellas/

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"Some members of the French media are here to interview me today, so I'm writing random bullshit for this shot."

"I CAN'T SEE THE CURSOR I CAN'T SEE THE CURSOR I CAN'T SEE THE"

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 1, 2017

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I started replaying this on hard from scratch today and it is kind of really hard. Got to the first boss and he 1-shots you from 100% with HP+ chips intalled which seems kind of crazy considering there's an extra hard option as well???

Is only intended to be done from a NG+ character or something?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Magna Kaser posted:

I started replaying this on hard from scratch today and it is kind of really hard. Got to the first boss and he 1-shots you from 100% with HP+ chips intalled which seems kind of crazy considering there's an extra hard option as well???

Is only intended to be done from a NG+ character or something?

The intro is probably the hardest part in the game on hard since the boss gains some hard to dodge attacks that one shot you. Turning on hard mode after the intro makes it much more managable. Im doing a hard run as well and its not actually that diffrent if you over level later on. Being 10 levels too high makes you way too strong to everything even on hard. I just did A routes final boss and for the most part he could only 3 shot me at best which wasnt enough to kill me really since getting hit multiple times in a row is rare. Whats nice about hard mode is that some attacks are actually hard to dodge. At least a lot of the shockwave attacks seem to come out much more often and faster.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Iretep posted:

The intro is probably the hardest part in the game on hard since the boss gains some hard to dodge attacks that one shot you.

This reminds me does the bosses getting new/faster moves happen throughout the game or is it just for the intro section?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nina posted:

So the implication is that the Emil in the game might be the original but because of his amnesia he was just thinking he was one of the clones right?

Yep. Superboss spoilers I'm like 100% sure that it's supposed to be the original. His lines all during the fight reflect it (he calls them "his clones", recalling Kaine etc) and when he passes away he sees Kaine (and I assume Nier).

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
So how do I farm the bunny in the park again? I did it a couple of times last time I played but now it doesn't aggro ever :confused:

Also, this 1.06 update seems to have messed up the menus of the hacking sections, text is all garbled now.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I don't know who said near the end of [C] you couldn't spare Augustus as A2 in the collection unit, but he was wrong, When the guys with the buckets started pleading for his life i just walked towards the elevator and the scene faded out. The unit data for them even said "they pleaded for his life and A2 granted their wish for some reason."

Josuke Higashikata posted:

"Some members of the French media are here to interview me today, so I'm writing random bullshit for this shot."

"I CAN'T SEE THE CURSOR I CAN'T SEE THE CURSOR I CAN'T SEE THE"
fantastic :allears:

Storm One posted:

So how do I farm the bunny in the park again? I did it a couple of times last time I played but now it doesn't aggro ever :confused:
Fastest way is to use 9S, hack one of the large guys with the sprayguns and remote control him to wipe out the others before hacking the bunny from the remote controlled unit (because for some reason you can't target it until they're dead???)
If you want to use A2 or 2B you just have to deal a shitload of damage first - probably need a fast lvl4 weapon and some damage chips/buffs and hammer+podfire on him for a solid minute.

e: you mentioned a new patch so i'll actually go and check - 9S still totally works, just went from 95 to 97 in a single hack (each kill gives around 20k exp).

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 1, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yep. Superboss spoilers I'm like 100% sure that it's supposed to be the original. His lines all during the fight reflect it (he calls them "his clones", recalling Kaine etc) and when he passes away he sees Kaine (and I assume Nier).

Yeah I thought so. I'm a dork but it honestly made me cry to see the original Good Boy die :smith:

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wouldn't the clones have had those memories too? I thought the point was that it flat out didn't matter who the "original" was since they are all basically identical. Even if they aren't "truly" Emil, they look, think, and act like him, and have the potential to regain his memories, so for all intents and purposes they ARE him. Kind of like humans and and androids, now that I think about it!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well there's the endings done and a nice shiny plat for me. Might go back and do the credits again and wipe my save at some point too. Although I think I'd probably save it to a USB drive or something first. After all, as the story shows, proper data backup is very important.:v: I scummed the Bloodborne endings too anyway, I gotta value my time somewhere.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
My friend made a list of some of the more important/enjoyable sidequests if it's helpful for anyone short on time:

Also Yoko Taro's mobile game is progressing, and he gives some very informative bits in the Director's Comments section.
"Very cute! I believe he’ll sell well!!"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HGH posted:

Also Yoko Taro's mobile game is progressing, and he gives some very informative bits in the Director's Comments section.

Well, I believe it'll sell well!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

HGH posted:

... he's not wrong.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Zinkraptor posted:

Wouldn't the clones have had those memories too? I thought the point was that it flat out didn't matter who the "original" was since they are all basically identical. Even if they aren't "truly" Emil, they look, think, and act like him, and have the potential to regain his memories, so for all intents and purposes they ARE him. Kind of like humans and and androids, now that I think about it!

It's possible but the tone of the fight and everything just make it kinda hard to believe that it's a random clone.

I mean a game capping off like that would fit in a dark way. Entire time it's "You may look like 9S but you aren't the same 9S". "You may look like Devola and Popola but you aren't the same" "Oh poo poo it's actually the same Emil."

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
As fantastic as the developer choir over the [E] ending credit song is, i can't stop thinking about what Automata's version of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZNbabKjKpA
would be like.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RoadCrewWorker posted:

As fantastic as the developer choir over the [E] ending credit song is, i can't stop thinking about what Automata's version of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZNbabKjKpA
would be like.

Dragon's Dogma has Sonic buttrock in it? Man, I really should play that game one of these days.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dias posted:

Dragon's Dogma has Sonic buttrock in it? Man, I really should play that game one of these days.

They lost the license for that song, so if you have Dark Arisen installed (or any version of PC version as a result).

Naturally, the mod for this existed shortly after the PC version released (I think it might have even existed before that because of MT Framework on PC already being known about but don't quote me on that)

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Dias posted:

That theme isn't actually in the game anywhere (see previous post for reasons) and the game's more serious tone is barely reflected in the song's goofy engrish lyrics, that's what makes it so ridiculous.

So basically, i want someone really drunk to summarize Automata in 5 minutes or less and then have someone who's never played the game write a butt-rock song based on nothing but that.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 1, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

That theme isn't actually in the game anywhere

It's the main menu music for the OG release, never during play.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RoadCrewWorker posted:

That theme isn't actually in the game anywhere (see previous post for reasons) and the game's more serious tone is barely reflected in the song's goofy engrish lyrics, that's what makes it so ridiculous.

So basically, i want someone really drunk to summarize Automata in 5 minutes or less and then have someone who's never played the game write a butt-rock song based on nothing but that.

Aww, boo. Regardless, maybe we can get Jamie Christopherson to do us a solid here.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

On Route B now, and just unlocked fast travel. Will I gently caress anything up if I fast travel to the Sunken City so I can finally cross Wandering Couple off my list?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

nope

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The only thing that'll gently caress up sidequest progression is dealing with the giant sea machine.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Just got Ending C. Before I go any further, I just want to know one thing:

How. THE gently caress. Do I start Emil's first subquest. Like, is there a specific chapter, can I only start it when flannel shirts are in season, how does it trigger?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

How. THE gently caress. Do I start Emil's first subquest. Like, is there a specific chapter, can I only start it when flannel shirts are in season, how does it trigger?

When you go back by chapter select in route A or B (after meeting him for the first time but before the missile mission just to be sure, Chapter 7-01 is your best bet) you have to activate him by talking to him once and getting the "wanna know where I live" dialogue. Then you can just waltz into the mall and get the quest from the Lunar Tear

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Route A or B, I think you have to talk to him at least once, then go to the lunar tear in the shopping area

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

But can you wear one in your hair?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
What, a Lunar Tear or an Emil?

The answer is yes to both

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Eventually.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
So the game crashed shortly after the first Engels as 9s (during the cutscene where you're doing 2B's startup). So I restarted it and I don't appear to have save data anymore. And then it crashed again.
:negative:
e: Let's see if Steam Cloud has my old data but I may just blitz a clear on Easy without sidequests. Are there any that only 2B can do? I know that there are some 9S specific but can't find anything about 2B.

Moatman fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 1, 2017

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Moatman posted:

So the game crashed shortly after the first Engels as 9s (during the cutscene where you're doing 2B's startup). So I restarted it and I don't appear to have save data anymore. And then it crashed again.
:negative:
e: Let's see if Steam Cloud has my old data but I may just blitz a clear on Easy without sidequests. Are there any that only 2B can do? I know that there are some 9S specific but can't find anything about 2B.

Any involving operator 60 are 2B only. There's also one in the bunker hanger that only 2B can get. I think there's at least one more, but there aren't many - 9S has access to a LOT more sidequests than she does.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Finished it. Excellent ending.

My main complaint at the moment is that I was level 75 by the end so I broke the final bosses over my knee even on Hard. I wasn't even trying to grind! I just like it when my enemies 'splode!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Snak posted:

How?

Also, ending E the hardest boss in the game is the Marketing Division

I completely forgot about this and now I remember and holy poo poo :laffo:

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
am I a dumbo or is the game meant to not show my mouse cursor even in menus?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

That's endings C&D down. I have Feelings. Lots of Feelings. Who do I speak to to get them to stop?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Okay so I still have my saves. Phew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just completed Ending E. Such a wonderful game!

One of the things I loved in the game was how the musical motifs had layers to them depending on the situation. This may be a weird comparison but it reminded me of the iMuse system in old Lucasarts games and it is a shame that more games do not do that.

I also love how darkly funny the game can be. I do not know if it is Taro's writing or 8-4s localization, but there is some great stuff here.

My favorite scene is the flashback on the babby forest king and the other machines lamenting that he hasn't grown at all.

"Can't we do anything?"
"No, we are all dumb as hell."
"..."
"...Still such a cutie though."
"Oh yes he is!"

That brings me to my next thing I liked: The not-quite-right-but-endearing humanity in the non combatant machines. They remind me of the SMT Nocturne Manikins: Weird and slightly off putting, but also completely earnest and the unexpectedly the closest thing to humanity in the world.

I only wish that I knew how to watch ending C before ending D. It's kinda obvious that is the intended viewing.

Also, ending E: "You will believe a grown man will cry over a twin stick shooter where you fight the credits."

Yoko Fuckin Taro, man...