Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I hate fax machines, the worst parts of both phones and printers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The Fool posted:

I suggest you use it over VoIP for the best quality experience.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:gonk:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Fool posted:

Where paper and computers meet, there will always be evil. Printers and scanners are the first tier. Copiers combine their powers, then fax machines strap a modem to it to take the evil up an order of magnitude.

Virigoth posted:

*curls up in the corner to cry*

In theory T.38 should have made everything perfect, and faxing over VoIP with it should be more reliable than a traditional landline.

In practice a lot of the horrible organizations that require people fax things to them have ancient pile of poo poo fax hardware that doesn't want to negotiate modern protocols properly and tries to fail back to old school fax protocols that T.38 doesn't work with.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if someone invented a "virus" of sorts that could destroy fax machines I'd gladly help spread it to rid the world of these horrible things once and for all. There has not been a technically valid reason to use one for well over a decade, only lovely people who refuse to learn how to use email and lovely industries where said lovely people make the decisions.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I thought some industries(like banking) were required to use them for regulatory reasons?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

RFC2324 posted:

I thought some industries(like banking) were required to use them for regulatory reasons?

When have banks ever followed regulatory laws that closely? Psshhhh

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Also aren't there 100% online mortgage companies? Has anyone ever used one? I'm sure they don't make you fax but I wonder if you can get away with only a digital signature.
I know I got a $30k loan by doing nothing more than typing my full name and checking a box and hitting submit. I think the fax requirements are something lovely lawyers just assume without digging too​ deeply. I like the idea of stuxnet for fax machines.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Nards Pan posted:

Also aren't there 100% online mortgage companies? Has anyone ever used one? I'm sure they don't make you fax but I wonder if you can get away with only a digital signature.
I know I got a $30k loan by doing nothing more than typing my full name and checking a box and hitting submit. I think the fax requirements are something lovely lawyers just assume without digging too​ deeply. I like the idea of stuxnet for fax machines.

I think we need someone who actually works in one of these industries(banking is just the one I could think of off the top of my head) to speak up. A quick google found this, but I think it might be less than reliable: https://www.efax.com.au/blog/5-businesses-that-rely-on-fax

E: Found this too, which seems relevant: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2083980/why-the-fax-still-lives-and-how-to-kill-it.html

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

I can assure you, the only reason bankers still fax is because they are stuck in the 80's. There is no regulatory requirement to fax over secure email or telephone call.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I can't speak for banking, but from attorneys point of view the court is still putting more weight on documents sent by fax then by email. There are also a lot of services that will accept credit card orders by fax but not by email due to "security."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We use xmedius for faxing. Works fantastically. Fax direct from outlook.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

adorai posted:

I can assure you, the only reason bankers still fax is because they are stuck in the 80's. There is no regulatory requirement to fax over secure email or telephone call.

This is correct, fiancee's mom works for a banking corp office and has said the same thing, the only reason they still fax and print out so much stuff is because their co-workers are too lazy to learn a new process.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MF_James posted:

This is correct, fiancee's mom works for a banking corp office and has said the same thing, the only reason they still fax and print out so much stuff is because their co-workers are too lazy to learn a new process.

Are they allowed to take PPI using email? Are they allowed to take PPI using fax?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Internet Explorer posted:

Are they allowed to take PPI using email? Are they allowed to take PPI using fax?

dunno what PPI is.

Anything that needs signed needs to be paper form* but that gets scanned in then it's good, but people in her office print poo poo out CONSTANTLY despite there being no need to.

*they have e-signature but not everyone is comfortable doing that kind of stuff yet.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Even if there were regulations requiring the use of faxes that would still fall under "lovely people making lovely decisions" rather than legitimate technical reasons.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Isn't the legal stuff to do with if a fax is timestamped at a certain time, and call records from the relevant parties show that a call was made at this time then it can be proven in a way that emails can't?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

Thanks Ants posted:

Isn't the legal stuff to do with if a fax is timestamped at a certain time, and call records from the relevant parties show that a call was made at this time then it can be proven in a way that emails can't?

Also, according to that PCWorld article linked above

Someone confused about email posted:

Your computer doesn’t have to be on to send or receive a fax; faxes can arrive at 3 A.M. (and frequently do) and you’ll have them in the morning.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

Yes to both, but discouraged for both. There is no regulatory issue.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

I think we need someone who actually works in one of these industries(banking is just the one I could think of off the top of my head) to speak up. A quick google found this, but I think it might be less than reliable: https://www.efax.com.au/blog/5-businesses-that-rely-on-fax

E: Found this too, which seems relevant: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2083980/why-the-fax-still-lives-and-how-to-kill-it.html

I work for a giant online-only mortgage company, we get people faxing us stuff constantly. We just have an app set up to turn them to pdf and email to the recipient, because who the hell wants paper.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

It can be proven that a call occurred, but assuming that means anything about any documents that may have come out of the fax machine at that time other than the length of the call placing an upper bound on the amount of data that fax contained would be a bad idea.

If I can get physical access to the telephone lines at either end I can intercept that fax and change it in any way I wanted to before delivering it on to the destination. With how modern machines buffer the document during send and receive it'd be hard for anyone to notice a bit of delay even if they were on the phone with the sender at that very moment. Or I could just record the faxes and be for all intents and purposes entirely undetectable.

As far as gaining access to those lines, I present to you the universal telephone room key:

Have one of these strapped to your belt and act like you're meant to be there, you can get in to 90% of the telecom rooms in the world. Add a telco shirt purchased off ebay and that number goes up to 95%. I am a phone tech and I am meant to be there most of the time, but in over a decade I've been asked to prove who I was and why I was there exactly four times, and only one of those times did they actually validate that information in any meaningful way. I've ended up in the wrong phone room in large buildings more times than I can count, including buildings full of financial/legal firms.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 1, 2017

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

xsf421 posted:

I work for a giant online-only mortgage company, we get people faxing us stuff constantly. We just have an app set up to turn them to pdf and email to the recipient, because who the hell wants paper.

Do you accept e-signatures?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

wolrah posted:

It can be proven that a call occurred, but assuming that means anything about any documents that may have come out of the fax machine at that time other than the length of the call placing an upper bound on the amount of data that fax contained would be a bad idea.

If I can get physical access to the telephone lines at either end I can intercept that fax and change it in any way I wanted to before delivering it on to the destination. With how modern machines buffer the document during send and receive it'd be hard for anyone to notice a bit of delay even if they were on the phone with the sender at that very moment. Or I could just record the faxes and be for all intents and purposes entirely undetectable.

As far as gaining access to those lines, I present to you the universal telephone room key:

Have one of these strapped to your belt and act like you're meant to be there, you can get in to 90% of the telecom rooms in the world. Add a telco shirt purchased off ebay and that number goes up to 95%. I am a phone tech and I am meant to be there most of the time, but in over a decade I've been asked to prove who I was and why I was there exactly four times, and only one of those times did they actually validate that information in any meaningful way. I've ended up in the wrong phone room in large buildings more times than I can count, including buildings full of financial/legal firms.

Yes, this is all technically true. Now explain this to the courts.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

The Nards Pan posted:

Do you accept e-signatures?

We do. You can get a mortgage without physically signing a piece of paper or meeting someone until your closing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just signed a bunch of insurance papers with a signature I setup in Acrobat Reader.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wolrah posted:

Those companies are being careless, but I'm a big expensive lawyer/CEO/politician and that would never happen in *my* building.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Virigoth posted:

My comment was born out of frustrations experienced while porting a half dozen analog fax lines to a new CUCM install.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Have none of you ever worked in the healthcare industry?

Regular email is a no go and while I'd generally prefer secure email solutions most of them aren't necessarily all that user friendly and can be a pain for end users compared to just picking up a sheet of paper or, more likely nowadays, opening a PDF they've been emailed. The latter definitely saves on paper and is easy for end-users but still leaves IT dealing with an electronic fax system and providers using lovely fax machines from the 80s.

Even if faxing isn't 100% secure you'd have a hard time arguing that regular email as it exists today isn't a lot worse.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Regular email doesn't dump everything it receives into a tray that is accessible to everyone in the room which automatically makes it more secure than like 99% of fax machines in use planet-wide.

Edit: also the cleaning lady can't waltz up and zero effort steal your email just because it arrived after everyone left for the day.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 1, 2017

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

anthonypants posted:

Those companies are being careless, but I'm a big expensive lawyer/CEO/politician and that would never happen in *my* building.

lol

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Elem7 posted:

Have none of you ever worked in the healthcare industry?

Regular email is a no go and while I'd generally prefer secure email solutions most of them aren't necessarily all that user friendly and can be a pain for end users compared to just picking up a sheet of paper or, more likely nowadays, opening a PDF they've been emailed. The latter definitely saves on paper and is easy for end-users but still leaves IT dealing with an electronic fax system and providers using lovely fax machines from the 80s.

Even if faxing isn't 100% secure you'd have a hard time arguing that regular email as it exists today isn't a lot worse.

Regular email as it exists today is encrypted on all transport paths. Just because you use email over unsecure connections doesnt make it worse than faxing.

Hell, I just did a project to move our hardware fax server to a vm, we barely get a fax per month, yet they spent a fair bit of cash on licenses for sip, the fax software...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao did I actually read a post in the IT thread saying that fax is a lot better than email?

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
No one said faxing is better, just that various industry's require it vs emails for protecting PII and PHI. I don't know how it is in the banking industry but I'd never expect to get through a HIPAA or CMS audit unscathed passing PHI over email with external recipients unless purposeful measures were taken and documented to ensure TLS encryption between domains.

Faxing sucks, so do printers, but if you're going to complain about security issues like the cleaning lady picking up people's print's I'm still going to point how that's a solved problem with PIN and badge-swipe enabled secure printing.

SEKCobra posted:

Regular email as it exists today is encrypted on all transport paths.

I don't believe this to be remotely true but if you have some reference saying otherwise I'd read it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Elem7 posted:

No one said faxing is better

Uh, you said regular email is a lot worse.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'll be happy if I never have to deal with another HIPAA environment again. gently caress that stuff. I mean, I'm not saying that it's not important to protect PHI, but it's so easy to fulfill those requirements with next to no security.

For example: "DBANing and then drilling holes through the drives isn't secure enough. Let's stick them in a pelican case, secured with a $3 cable lock until the recycling company comes by in a month."

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Elem7 posted:

I don't believe this to be remotely true but if you have some reference saying otherwise I'd read it.
Set your mail gateway to require TLS, problem solved. If a domain is not encrypting with TLS when available, gently caress it, they are incompetent enough that you don't want your employees emailing them anyway.

edit: there are still issues with email even with TLS, but it can't be intercepted in transit

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Elem7 posted:

No one said faxing is better

Elem7 posted:

If email is worse, then faxing must be better, unless we've invented some new third direction for comparisons...

quote:

just that various industry's require it vs emails for protecting PII and PHI. I don't know how it is in the banking industry but I'd never expect to get through a HIPAA or CMS audit unscathed passing PHI over email with external recipients unless purposeful measures were taken and documented to ensure TLS encryption between domains.
So encryption is required with email (as it should be), but the fact that fax is unencrypted and frankly easier to intercept is ignored? I'm all for encryption, but if there's an official double standard for fax that's a really lovely standard which you shouldn't be defending.

quote:

Faxing sucks, so do printers, but if you're going to complain about security issues like the cleaning lady picking up people's print's I'm still going to point how that's a solved problem with PIN and badge-swipe enabled secure printing.
This is a thing that is possible with fax, but at least personally I have rarely seen it implemented even in places where it probably should be. On the other hand a certain level of privacy is inherent to email and you have to go out of your way to have it be visible to anyone who happens to be in the area.

quote:

Inter-domain mail over TLS is a thing and it's gaining in popularity, but it's not at a point where you can reasonably set your mail server to mandate TLS on all outgoing messages (though as noted, especially these days with Let's Encrypt there really isn't a good excuse for not supporting it). If you have sufficient control over your outbound mail server it's definitely possible to configure it to mandate TLS in certain cases though, the easiest one being target domains you have verified work with it. I've also seen people use header flags to mark a message as requiring TLS, or setting certain senders to require it.

As far as user experience goes, here's the process most of my users follow when sending a fax:

1. Put document in MFP
2. Go to address book
3. Push button corresponding to destination

and here's the process they follow when scanning a document to email:

1. Put document in MFP
2. Go to address book
3. Push button corresponding to destination

I'll give you that when they need to send to an unusual destination a 10 digit number is easier to enter than the majority of email addresses, but that's a really minor difference.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There is actually a standard to send and receive electronic health records over SMTP. It's called Direct and it provides automatic signing, payload encryption, and round trip verification. It's becoming more and more common.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

wolrah posted:

If email is worse, then faxing must be better, unless we've invented some new third direction for comparisons...

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh, you said regular email is a lot worse.

Yah, I guess I did after rereading my post, got me there I did say that in this specific context, but in fairness better than bad doesn't equal good and I'd be as happy as anyone if faxing just ceased to exist.

adorai posted:

Set your mail gateway to require TLS, problem solved. If a domain is not encrypting with TLS when available, gently caress it, they are incompetent enough that you don't want your employees emailing them anyway.

Yah if you're fortunate enough that you can just unilaterally make a decision like that and dictate to your employer that anyone who's security isn't up to snuff isn't worth your time as IT to account for. That especially isn't an option for government health organizations that have to accommodate everyone even rural providers for whom internet isn't a guarantee let alone competent IT staff.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'll be happy if I never have to deal with another HIPAA environment again. gently caress that stuff. I mean, I'm not saying that it's not important to protect PHI, but it's so easy to fulfill those requirements with next to no security.

For example: "DBANing and then drilling holes through the drives isn't secure enough. Let's stick them in a pelican case, secured with a $3 cable lock until the recycling company comes by in a month."

It's more that some manager gets a piece of paper saying that the drives were properly destroyed when they pay someone to destroy them. If something goes wrong, they can sue them. Suppose you properly destroy the drives, and then someone else fucks up, when it's finger pointing time, it doesn't matter that you threw the drives into a volcano, you don't have a piece of paper saying you did it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My former employer is going to have that as they shut down, they have announced liquidation to start next week. Every pc in the company will need to have its hard drive scrapped for pci-dss compliance once they start selling off assets after liquidation, have fun with that!