Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
gently caress the haters, this is gonna own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
"Money and power through homicide" is a sound business model in the lower wards of Throne, kudos to Oscar for his entrepreneurial acumen.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mazerunner posted:

I figured that granddad was slang, or maybe an insult, or maybe a term of affection. "Hey, you're old and have been around long as gently caress".

not like literal relation

Nah, Princess is actually Oscar's granddad, although it's not literal.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Reene posted:

I feel so bad for Princess and also for everyone else whose lives Allison is about to tremendously gently caress up

This is why you will never be Royalty.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Okay, the best motto in the omniverse has now been determined.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Well Allison seems to be getting the "throw all your friends under the bus at the first opportunity" part of being a demiurge down pat.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

A big flaming stink posted:

Well Allison seems to be getting the "throw all your friends under the bus at the first opportunity" part of being a demiurge down pat.

I've said it before, but this is giving me some intense D&D flashbacks. I'm looking forward to seeing where things go when Allison pushes the rest of the party too far.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
BAD
MAN

the last few pages have been fucken choice

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
"Money and power through homicide" seems like a version of "reach heaven through violence" where someone wasn't really on top of the concepts involved yet.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It's a little more down-to-earth.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I wonder if there is anything preventing a devil from following Zoss's path, or if their nature makes such impossible.

someone with twitter tweet this at abby

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

I wonder if there is anything preventing a devil from following Zoss's path, or if their nature makes such impossible.

someone with twitter tweet this at abby
Humans are the only creatures in Yis-Un's multiverse with true free will. Angels, devils and servants are all bound by their inherent natures, to varying degrees. It's why humanity is so dangerous and why Angels hate them so much.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

JT Jag posted:

Humans are the only creatures in Yis-Un's multiverse with true free will. Angels, devils and servants are all bound by their inherent natures, to varying degrees. It's why humanity is so dangerous and why Angels hate them so much.

I think that's a little extreme- humans are just purposeless and die naturally, so the degree of Want and therefore burning will is incredibly high. Angels, Devils, and Servants all have natural paths in life - angels get older and bigger and guard the law, Devils get older and bigger and seek a black name, servants get older and probably own a noodle store, servants kinda got shafted.

Humans just die.
It means we have to make up what matters to us ourselves, and can't ever stop going for it if we want it. And a few humans /really/ want it. It's not about free will, it's about the lash of existential dread and the radical freedom to say 'yeah, my purpose is to be the loving best at Cutting' or whatever else.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I'd be strongly surprised if this doesn't end with all Allison's allies forsaking her and being forced to make it on her own for a while.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

How quickly we all forget the proverb of the one chosen waifu, as told by the under comic text.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Schwarzwald posted:

I'd be strongly surprised if this doesn't end with all Allison's allies forsaking her and being forced to make it on her own for a while.
See, I don't get why we're assuming that Allison's crew actually knows better than her about how to handle things, or that she would have any reason to listen to them.

As Vladok, Princess reneged on a deal with Allison and then tried to kill her - and now Princess is basically saying that somehow makes Allison responsible for her angry, violent, blue self. Cio is into Allison, but she also just copped to trying to manipulate and use Allison for her own ends. White Chain has basically promised to betray Allison at an unspecified future date and continually tries to order her around and treats Allison like a not-particularly-intelligent child. Nyave is almost as much a fish out of water as Allison herself - she's also the only one who actually advises Allison instead of using that as an excuse to tell her what to do.

Meanwhile, it's not like Allison's plans have been objectively worse than any of theirs. White Chain's decision to take Allison to see Cio was an outright disaster that could have been easily avoided. Cio's admonitions that Allison couldn't handle what she was taking on haven't exactly been on point. Both have proved to have badly flawed assumptions about the goals of powerful people around them, and done a terrible job of predicting the actions and motivations of those powers.

If anything, Allison has been most successful when she's actively gone against the advice of Cio and White Chain and pulled her bull in the china shop routine.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 1, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm thinking less about how successful her plans are and more about how she's treating her friends/subjects. It wasn't too many pages ago that she referred to White Chain as a "miss" against his wishes, and now she's referring to Cio as "Yabalchoath" despite the fact that she "never, ever want[s] to be that person again."

Allison is burning through good will very quickly, and while her ignorance and bullheadedness are an asset in other areas, I don't think they'll serve her here.

Bad times are ahead.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm thinking less about how successful her plans are and more about how she's treating her friends/subjects. It wasn't too many pages ago that she referred to White Chain as a "miss" against his wishes, and now she's referring to Cio as "Yabalchoath" despite the fact that she "never, ever want[s] to be that person again."

Allison is burning through good will very quickly, and while her ignorance and bullheadedness are an asset in other areas, I don't think they'll serve her here.

Bad times are ahead.

Well, she established previously why exactly what everyone wanted out of her and what they could provide to her. Friendship wasn't part of the equation for any of them.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tenebrais posted:

Well, she established previously why exactly what everyone wanted out of her and what they could provide to her. Friendship wasn't part of the equation for any of them.

White Chain wants Allison to give the key to Zaid, and is providing help to rescue Zaid to that end.
Cio seemingly wants protection from her husband, and is helping rob Mammon (to rescue Zaid) to that end.

After Zaid is rescued, White Chain's business is over. And as much as Cio clings to Allison for protection, she could easily come to the conclusion that Allison exposes her to more risk than she provides protection.

And as you said, friendship isn't part of the equation.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Owning a noodle shop is a pretty amazing outcome, it allows you to be fat and happy with a family and probably no one is in a quest that involves your noodle shop. Wasn't that what Meti tried to tell Maya?

When the pursuers had their lunatic brawl, the noodle guy was just fine.

Reach heaven through violence, but prosperity is from noodles

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

After Zaid is rescued, White Chain's business is over. And as much as Cio clings to Allison for protection, she could easily come to the conclusion that Allison exposes her to more risk than she provides protection.
White Chain wants Allison to give the key to Zaid. Unless something changes in the meantime, it's not going to be an amicable parting of the ways after they find him. They're gonna fight.

Basically, I'm not pushing back against the idea that Allison is being an rear end in a top hat. She definitely is. But it's not because she doesn't realize it. She just doesn't give a gently caress, and in the case of Cio and White Chain, has understandable reasons for not giving a gently caress. In particular, neither of them have treated her with respect or as an equal, and have mostly treated her like an idiot and a tool. As much as Allison might need to learn to treat her companions well, they - especially White Chain - need to learn to take Allison seriously.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Comrade Gorbash posted:

As much as Allison might need to learn to treat her companions well, they - especially White Chain - need to learn to take Allison seriously.

On this, I don't disagree.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

The President of the Bad Decision Club is still in office.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Tuxedo Ted posted:

The President of the Bad Decision Club is still in office.

Reach Heaven Through Bad Decisions.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

White Coke posted:

That does seem to be Allison's arc, making bad decisions and then just following through on them long after anyone less Royal would have cut and run.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

A bad plan executed immediately and forcefully can be better than a good plan later.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

That does seem to be Allison's arc, making bad decisions and then just following through on them long after anyone less Royal would have cut and run.

Pictured: Royalty

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

ZeeToo posted:

"Money and power through homicide" seems like a version of "reach heaven through violence" where someone wasn't really on top of the concepts involved yet.

Why bother trying to reach heaven when you know you won't get there?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Schwarzwald posted:

After Zaid is rescued

I'm making a guess that Allison's prince is in another castle.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i find oscar's nose extremely intimidating

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Say Nothing posted:

I'm making a guess that Allison's prince is in another castle.

Ehhh, I could see the story ripping past that quicker that we expected.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Avshalom posted:

i find oscar's nose extremely intimidating

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

The grand irony of cutting and running is that very little cutting is involved.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

atomicthumbs posted:

Why bother trying to reach heaven when you know you won't get there?

Why bother getting your head cut off when it won't kill you?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Royalty: Hold my beer and watch this.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

The sanctioned action is to hold my beer.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

White Coke posted:

I'm picturing Cat and Girl's Bad Decision Dinosaur, with a halo over his head going "YESSSSSS."

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

paranoid randroid posted:

I think you mean "Hold my wait *chugs * hold my empty glass now what was I going to do again?"

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

I think you mean "Hold my wait *chugs * hold my empty glass now what was I going to do again?"

The Most Holy Mantra of Aesma is to mutter, "gently caress it." under your breath as you go to do something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Ashcans posted:

Owning a noodle shop is a pretty amazing outcome, it allows you to be fat and happy with a family and probably no one is in a quest that involves your noodle shop. Wasn't that what Meti tried to tell Maya?

When the pursuers had their lunatic brawl, the noodle guy was just fine.

Reach heaven through violence, but prosperity is from noodles

Quoted for truth. Noodles are awesome.