Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

axe posted:

So I just started playing a few weeks ago and now have a ton of relics from the 'fest but no idea about what sort of team(s) I could make.

https://www.ffrkcentral.com/profile/ueZB

Aerith - BSB
Agrias - BSB, OSB
Alphinaud - SSB
Ashe - OSB
Bartz - OSB
Cid Raines - BSB
Firion- SSB, BSB
Kain - BSB
Leila - SSB, OSB
Lightning - SSBx2, OSB
Locke - BSB
OK - SSBx2, OSB
TGCid - OSB
Ramza - Shout/Chant, BSB, Tailwind
Refia - BSB
Rydia - BSB
Serah - BSB
Setzer - BSB
Terra - OSB
Vaan - BSB
Vanille - BSB
Y'shtola - BSB

I'm thinking I probably have enough to put together a good physical team around Ramza, but I'm not sure who else would make the cut for that, same for a magic team with Raines.

I just don't feel like I know enough about what characters synergize well together.

Orlandu, Ramza, Agrias, Vaan, Y'shtola(or Vanille). RW Stoneskin II or Sentinel's Grimoire. Once that team is up and running it will bulldoze anything that gets in its way.

Your skill making/honing goal for the near-mid term is to give the 4 melee characters Lifesiphon and have Agrias or Orlandu carry Protectga/Shellga while Y'shtola/Vanille carries the other (make full break for Ramza when you can, too). You'll want to get Tyro and Cloud to level 65 to get Mako's Might and Dr Mog's Teachings as those RMs are 100% vital and top priority things which will allow you to immediately use Shout and something else.

Orlandu and Agrias are your holy damage dealing asskickers. Ramza provides shout and support (full break, banishing strike, breakdowns...etc) and Vaan utterly cripples any magic using boss's damage output as well as their defense because his BSB is a MAG/DEF breakdown and his commands are magic/defense breakdowns that stack with the BSB's debuff, and it all stacks with full break. Y'shtola/Vanille bring up the rear healing a ton of health. Y'shtola's CMD1 of her BSB is stronger than Curaja and instant-cast. You can have her spam that and she'll have another BSB charge before her burst mode ends, usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mithross posted:

You are probably better off giving him whatever black magic will hit a weakness than making summons. More casts per hone. (Note I'm talking about right now to get him up and running. There have been a number of posts just recently about how to set him up when you have hones and dives and nightmares cleared)

Is this true if I already have Maria hogging my 4star black magic attacks and generally lack major orb resources for lots of honing?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is this true if I already have Maria hogging my 4star black magic attacks and generally lack major orb resources for lots of honing?

He shouldn't need more than 6-8 total casts if he's relying on his BSB and has ace striker/battleforged, depending on how much he gets hit and if you're hitting a weakness. That's two r3 summons or two r2 black magics. The summons are fine, if that's what you have the orbs for.

If he isn't getting a soul juice RM then things get trickier. So it kind of depends on your set up. Since his BSB removes cast times, if you give him mako/dr. mogs, he'll be almost fast enough to get a bar back each time, with 1 or 2 actions between bsbs on average. If you aren't taking native wall and hastega and can spare one of those, it might work out and save hones. OK pretty much keeps his BSB running at all times the same way.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ashe OSB, Agrias OSB, Alph BSB, and Eiko BSB

I'm cool with the latter two and while I ultimately don't mind the former two, I am pretty drat salty I didn't get Thunder God.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Captain Baal posted:

Ashe OSB, Agrias OSB, Alph BSB, and Eiko BSB

I'm cool with the latter two and while I ultimately don't mind the former two, I am pretty drat salty I didn't get Thunder God.

That just means it's time to save up and blow another ton of mythril chasing it on extreme fest

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Does Japan have 6* dark matter yet? I have a Ragnarok++ that needs upgrading and I'm wondering its ETA.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mithross posted:

That just means it's time to save up and blow another ton of mythril chasing it on extreme fest

I think Gil USB is my relic of choice to chase on that one, but hey I can always blow some on Thunder God.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

When does Agrias' OSB reoccur?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

victrix posted:

When does Agrias' OSB reoccur?

hasn't yet

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:saddowns:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

1/11: Orlandeau OSB

Ok I'm done. I have no idea what team to make now and I have so much to level.

He can equip so much but I feel like you just need lifesiphon and maybe one other skill to hit weaknesses.

If he can hit a weakness (and if it has a weakness that isn't dark, he can and he can hit it hard), he doesn't need Lifesiphon.

For his second slot, best bet is usually either Powerchain (to cast before his OSB), or Full Charge (to cast repeatedly after his OSB, turning it into a pseudo BSB)

(Giving him both Powerchain and Full Charge is Real Good as well - though in that case you probably want a lot of hones on FC)

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

I did it. I beat the motherfucker. :getin:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

CaptainPsyko posted:

If he can hit a weakness (and if it has a weakness that isn't dark, he can and he can hit it hard), he doesn't need Lifesiphon.

For his second slot, best bet is usually either Powerchain (to cast before his OSB), or Full Charge (to cast repeatedly after his OSB, turning it into a pseudo BSB)

(Giving him both Powerchain and Full Charge is Real Good as well - though in that case you probably want a lot of hones on FC)

While maybe not optimally, Orlandeau can hit a dark weakness even without his BSB. He gets access to Darkness 4*. With his BSB, his entry hits it and one of his commands can hit it, but he can tag the weakness regardless.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

HPanda posted:

While maybe not optimally, Orlandeau can hit a dark weakness even without his BSB. He gets access to Darkness 4*. With his BSB, his entry hits it and one of his commands can hit it, but he can tag the weakness regardless.

Yeah, but unlike every other weakness, he can't double hit. The case for Dark Bargain spam over Lifesiphon spam just isn't as strong.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
My Orlandu has 519 atk with Saintly Excalibur (+holy), White Mage Robe (+holy), and the Mark of Conquest. He does terrible things to his enemies and running through a handful of dungeons I hadn't cleared yet generally ended with the boss eating a Thunder God followed by either a second Thunder God or a Swordplay, which always did 9999x10 damage except against Tiamat in FF9 where each hit only did 3-3.5k damage for some reason (a defensive mode?). And that's just with Ace Striker on for faster SB gauge filling. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action against U++ and Apoc bosses. It seems like building maybe a bar and a half of SB gauge then using Thunder God and Swordplay (or a lifesiphon then Swordplay) and the BSB 4 hit command is probably the best damage over time unless I'd do something like hone full charge to R4 and spam that during Thunder God Mode instead. So glad I finally got this drat OSB for him and it is everything I'd hoped for.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like building up a bunch of bars and then repeated Thunder God until the enemy is dead. With some Holy Imperils in there. It's very nice for blasting through weak phases and the like.

It'd be neat if there was a test mode where you could set up a punchbag however you wanted and just try things out.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

It's funny to me that Seph's OSB katana has found its way onto two (non-featured) fest banners on reddit so far

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Are half stamina dungeons going to stay until the 9th?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

KPC_Mammon posted:

Does Japan have 6* dark matter yet? I have a Ragnarok++ that needs upgrading and I'm wondering its ETA.

As far as I know, no, there's no 6* dark matter. You'd still need 18 million gil to get it to a +++!

Armitage fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 1, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mithross posted:

He shouldn't need more than 6-8 total casts if he's relying on his BSB and has ace striker/battleforged

I'm still pretty new so I don't have a lot of resources. Looks like I can get battleforged if I uncap Ramza again so I'll probably do that. Only decent RM I have are DrMogs and Mako Might.

Right now my team is a bit of a hodgepodge phys/magic hybrid consisting of

Y'shtola (BSB)
Ramza (shout and chant SSBs)
Refia (BSB)
Maria (BSB)
Alphinaud (SSB & BSB)

Previously Tyro and Cloud were filling the fifth slot so I could get their SB booster RMs.

Other major SBs (but not the corresponding character) I have are Agrias OSB, Squall OSB, and DRK Cecil's BSB.

Kinda wish I had an emperil fire, I could set up Ramz/Refia/Cecil as a fire team.

Are there any other really good Record Material that are worth obtaining and grinding/egging up their character for (and prob spending blank crystals) just for the RM even if you lack good things for them?

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Thought to myself, maybe I'll :homebrew: and do a gem pull for Alph's bsb, then I realized an 11 draw is $30 god drat dollars.

No wonder everyone just does $1 draws if anything with gems.

Vonnie fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 1, 2017

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Vonnie posted:

Thought to myself, maybe I'll :homebrew: and do a gem pull for Alph's bsb, then I realized an 11 draw is $30 god drat dollars.

No wonder everyone just does $1 draws if anything with gems.

Yup. You and I are not this game's market. Players like us are subsidized by the grand whales, and that $30 price tag is designed around them.

What was it someone determined the entry point to be on getting the newsletter again? $10,000? I could swear it was something like that, meaning there are enough players that hit that point to justify making a newsletter for them.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

HPanda posted:

Yup. You and I are not this game's market. Players like us are subsidized by the grand whales, and that $30 price tag is designed around them.

What was it someone determined the entry point to be on getting the newsletter again? $10,000? I could swear it was something like that, meaning there are enough players that hit that point to justify making a newsletter for them.

I can't even imagine having that level of disposable income, though if I did I'll be honest I'd probably be wasting it on this too.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

HPanda posted:

meaning there are enough players that hit that point to justify making a newsletter for them.

well i mean when you're dealing with ten-grand customers it's pretty easy to justify a few extra employee-hours on them even

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Prav posted:

well i mean when you're dealing with ten-grand customers it's pretty easy to justify a few extra employee-hours on them even

True, but it also means there's enough to move past personal E-mails. The first time I heard of anyone spending that much on a mobile game felt shocking, much less enough whales that the people spending that much get the same generic thank you newsletter.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Thank you Orbfest, I just got Full Break

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

When you're talking about free-to-play mobile games, $10,000 lifetime spend is not even the high-end.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
think of all the money spent trying to get vega 42s and one winged angel and how useful those are today

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Evil Fluffy posted:

Your skill making/honing goal for the near-mid term is to give the 4 melee characters Lifesiphon and have Agrias or Orlandu carry Protectga/Shellga while Y'shtola/Vanille carries the other (make full break for Ramza when you can, too). You'll want to get Tyro and Cloud to level 65 to get Mako's Might and Dr Mog's Teachings as those RMs are 100% vital and top priority things which will allow you to immediately use Shout and something else.

Just a minor nitpick, but Orlandeau can't carry Protectga / Shellga.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Are half stamina dungeons going to stay until the 9th?

Yes, so they'll be staying a few days after this final equipment material phase of Orbfest is over. Good time to do the Record Missions in case you forgot about them.

Armitage posted:

As far as I know, no, there's no 6* dark matter. You'd still need 18 million gil to get it to a +++!

That's a shame. I have 43 million gil and wouldn't hesitate to spend 18 million to make the ultimate stat stick. 216 Atk is not enough!

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Scraped up enough mythril for another banner 4 pull and got Genji Gloves and a third Evoker's Doublet.

So naturally I did the worst thing I could think of.

:allears:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Snazzy Frocks posted:

think of all the money spent trying to get vega 42s and one winged angel and how useful those are today

I'd argue that Boon is still perfectly serviceable for CMs at least. A Hastega is a Hastega, and it gives you the freedom to RW something else. I think Endless Blessings might be the only other Hastega XIII even has right now. None of that is terribly relevant from the perspective of a whale, though, I guess.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i admit i drew on banner 4 despite having 4 dupes because this was a potential outcome, also i wanted the hamelin and agrias' osb and the durandal

i got ramza's gloves and yuna's chaos rod which is pretty incredible all things considered because i did manage to thread the needle on dupes (alphinaud bsb, ssb, agrias bsb, orlandeau osb)

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 1, 2017

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Cowcaster posted:

i admit i drew on banner 4 despite having 4 dupes because this was a potential outcome, also i wanted the hamelin and agrias' osb and the durandal

i got ramza's gloves and yuna's chaos rod which is pretty incredible all things considered because i did manage to thread the needle on dupes (alphinaud bsb, ssb, agrias bsb, orlandeau osb)

I had 5 dupes (alph BSB/SSB, chaos rod, Agrias BSB, genji gloves) and managed to thread that needle too, getting 2x Agrias OSB and OK staff. I think I might have gone dupe free the entire fest, a minor miracle.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

so, this fest got me Agrias BSB and the FF9 event got me Beatrix OSB, which may shake up up my holy team somewhat. I'm not sure how to build it now.

I have two excellent medicas, though they aren't particularly tuned towards holy teams, in Eiko and Y'shtola BSB (I also have Eiko's reraise and Y'shtola's Wall, if that matters).

I have two holy Imperils in Edward and Agrias BSBs (as well as Agrias' Atk/Mag breakdown SB and enholy 7 hit SSB). Edward's has a boostga and stackable holy breakdowns on a support 5 character which seems nearly ideal, except for the lack of haste. Imperils stack now so that's a consideration as well.

other notable Soul Breaks I have include Firion's BSB (which seems too good to leave out), Beatrix OSB (without an enholy unfortunately), Cid Raines BSB (self-sufficient, but doesn't benefit the team much and I don't have any compatible holy boost equipment), and I can bring Ingus's hastega+protectga or Tyro's Wall if needed.

I can use an Enholy RW for Beatrix OSB - Celes BSB is probably the best even though the commands are annoyingly spellblade and not knight. The main problem with this plan is fitting Ingus and Tyro in - my team becomes those two, plus a healer, an imperil and Beatrix herself. Is enholy->OSB worth losing Firion's BSB?

any thoughts?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I went ahead and beat two Nemesises and I think I'll skip the last since it seems to just be money. The 180 one was a dick, I ended up doing hit-and-run, three Seraphic Rays, and then three Thunder Gods along with the usual stuff, and it still took a bunch more hits before dropping. Thank goodness for Team Cid.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
wow we got wrecked, the JP login screen today:

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Servaetes posted:

wow we got wrecked, the JP login screen today:

I'm super upset we didn't get the JP lucky draw even though I knew we wouldn't.

Ultros is life

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm still pretty new so I don't have a lot of resources. Looks like I can get battleforged if I uncap Ramza again so I'll probably do that. Only decent RM I have are DrMogs and Mako Might.

Right now my team is a bit of a hodgepodge phys/magic hybrid consisting of

Y'shtola (BSB)
Ramza (shout and chant SSBs)
Refia (BSB)
Maria (BSB)
Alphinaud (SSB & BSB)

Previously Tyro and Cloud were filling the fifth slot so I could get their SB booster RMs.

Other major SBs (but not the corresponding character) I have are Agrias OSB, Squall OSB, and DRK Cecil's BSB.

Kinda wish I had an emperil fire, I could set up Ramz/Refia/Cecil as a fire team.

Are there any other really good Record Material that are worth obtaining and grinding/egging up their character for (and prob spending blank crystals) just for the RM even if you lack good things for them?

Getting up to 5 soul juice RMs is a pretty good way to get started. After Mako Might, Dr. Mog, and Battleforged, the next three are, in prefered order:
Tidus has Ace Striker, a battleforged clone - Uncap twice, do FFX missions until Top Scorer drops, do any mission until Ace Striker drops
Squall has Lionheart, increases SB gauge gained when taking damage - Uncap twice, do FFVIII missions until his RM2 drops, do any mission until Lionheart drops
Steiner has Knight's Charge, increases SB gauge gained when attacking or taking damage - Uncap twice and do missions until two RM drop, no location requirements

Lionheart is better than Knight's Charge (they both are used mostly on characters expected to take hits, and lionheart increases SB gauge more for that), but knight's charge is acceptable and less annoying to get. On the other hand if you have Squall's OSB you'd probably get more use out of leveling him than Steiner, so I'd recommend Lionheart. Knight's Charge is basically never better.

Arrange them something like:
Ramza - Dr. Mako (You want hastega up at the start of fights), make him a lifesiphon when you can
Refia - Battle/Ace, also make her a lifesiphon when you can. r1/r2 should be enough
Alphinaud - With this party setup you'd be better with a +damage RM on Alphinaud, Lionheart won't do much unless it's an aoe heavy boss, and he can't wrath or lifesiphon. That said it would help until you can farm something else up.
Maria - Dr. Mako (Maria wrecks things)
Y'shtola - Battle/Ace (it's very rare you'd need a medica before the fight gets going, ST heals should build her gauge. Once her BSB is up it should be mostly self sustaining)

The +20% summoning damage (what alph would want for his bsb) are on Rydia and Braska (break level cap twice, chance to drop anywhere). The +30% summoning damage is on Yuna and requires getting her to 99. It's a good long term goal, since Alphinaud's BSB is worth the effort, but it isn't something you should spend MC3s on until you have a team leveled.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

it occurs to me now that I've got three En-Element OSB combos.

Maria's BSB + OSB
Lightning's SSB + OSB
Agrias's SSB + OSB

Goddamn this owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm at the point where I don't really have many characters to work on in terms of leveling; either I don't own the character or they have a place in a Daily Dungeon party that's slowly getting them EXP. So for the last parts of orbfest, I'll get to mastering all the SBs for the relics that I don't care about, but I gotta master them. I also need to finally do something with all these Core character SBs we got a million years ago, wrapping those up real quick. I think that'd be a good capper to this orbfest in general.

Of course there will always be more grinding to do, but I can save that for the FF3 event and the new dailies.

• Locked thread