Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
April Fool's Day being on a weekend this year means Wizards has no excuse to update their site with a disappointing April Fool's Day joke. Nothing will ever top that fake draft viewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Thank you bicycle lands!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Yesterday they were 10 and change. Wow.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Oh snap. Patrick Chapin is on commentary at GP San Antonio.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AlternateNu posted:

Patrick believes Death's Shadow shouldn't be banned.

Good for him, I agree.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Ban mishra's bauble

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Reprint mishra's bauble

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

AlternateNu posted:

Not sure if he's drunk or high but he's slurring and sounding terrible

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

80s James Hetfield posted:

Oh yeah. He's high as gently caress.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Dunno what y'all are talking about, I think he's killing it

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Dunno what y'all are talking about, I think he's killing it

Doesn't mean he isn't also high as gently caress.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

80s James Hetfield posted:

That's his normal voice

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

TwistedNails posted:

That's his normal voice

Yeah I've never heard Chapin not sound like that, though conceivably he's high literally 100% of the time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Already have a playset woooo

BJPaskoff posted:

April Fool's Day being on a weekend this year means Wizards has no excuse to update their site with a disappointing April Fool's Day joke. Nothing will ever top that fake draft viewer.

I fondly remember last year's (or two years ago?) FTV of one-drops where they "previewed" Will-o-the-Wisp because it was a perfect mix of "of course Wizards would be dumb enough to do this" and "oh God I want this to be real" because the flavor text was from Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

My favorite Wizards April Fools' Joke was when they announced Unhinged on April First back in the day and everyone assumed it was fake.

of course, the problem was that then unhinged came out and that set it the worst

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i think it's unplayable in standard, personally

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/RoboRosewater/status/848234009775812610

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think the cat snake may be a great sideboard card if control is a thing. 4 power for 3 against control really adds to the clock.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

DangerDongs posted:

I think the cat snake may be a great sideboard card if control is a thing. 4 power for 3 against control really adds to the clock.

If a 4/3 beater for 1GG is good against control then control isn't playable because apparently it cannot remove an extremely vulnerable threat.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

If a 4/3 beater for 1GG is good against control then control isn't playable because apparently it cannot remove an extremely vulnerable threat.

If a creature dies to removal in standard doesn't automatically make it bad. Yes, cards like Tracker are better for the grind, but if they are on turn 3 and debating playing a Tower or holding a counter spell, and you play the Cat Snake they may not have removal in hand, or maybe just a shock.

Card dies to terminate, must be bad.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
If it's standard we're talking about, do you really want to play a three mana 4/3 to turn off your opponent's lovely cancel variant? Why not play a one mana 3/2 and laugh at them when they counter it?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

DangerDongs posted:

If a creature dies to removal in standard doesn't automatically make it bad. Yes, cards like Tracker are better for the grind, but if they are on turn 3 and debating playing a Tower or holding a counter spell, and you play the Cat Snake they may not have removal in hand, or maybe just a shock.

Card dies to terminate, must be bad.

Explicitly being a sideboard card that dies to the enemy deck's main plan makes it a bad sideboard card. If counterspells get much better with Amonkhet and there's no removal, and they ban literally every threat from Mardu Vehicles to enable those counterspells to be playable over traditional removal, then maybe the catsnake will get there. I just cannot imagine the deck that you can afford to sideboard in a vanilla 4/3.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I'm glad wizards is giving us answers to the truly out of control deck in standard: blue-centered counterspell-focused draw-go control.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Hellsau posted:

Explicitly being a sideboard card that dies to the enemy deck's main plan makes it a bad sideboard card. If counterspells get much better with Amonkhet and there's no removal, and they ban literally every threat from Mardu Vehicles to enable those counterspells to be playable over traditional removal, then maybe the catsnake will get there. I just cannot imagine the deck that you can afford to sideboard in a vanilla 4/3.

Yeah, like... Sylvan Advocate is a 2-mana 4/5 and sees hardly any play. It's not that it dies to removal, it's that it's competitive with other creatures on pure stats, and those other creatures do have some resiliency or generate some advantage. A 4/3 for 3 is barely above rate nowadays. So it kind of needs the rest of its text to matter a lot, which it doesn't really right now.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

what if they reprint counterspell

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

If there actually was a CMU Blue style deck then the Serpopard would be good against it, but the way control decks work now they're a lot more geared to taking stuff off the board than keeping stuff off the board.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
At least it's got higher power than toughness this time, maybe things will swing away from the x/x+1 for a while.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Then they would've made a good decision regarding counterspells for the first time in a long time

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Attorney at Funk posted:

If there actually was a CMU Blue style deck then the Serpopard would be good against it, but the way control decks work now they're a lot more geared to taking stuff off the board than keeping stuff off the board.

So the latest Temur Tower that took first at a GP plays 6 direct damage that can hit 3. 3 board wipes that only hit for 2, and of course the Tower.
It plays 5 cancel type counters and 3 negates.

It is pretty evenly split on board / before board removal.
There is a good chance they board out towers if you are playing green due to your sideboard artifact removal.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

what if they reprint force of will

:yeah:

Do it, WotC, you pussies.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
MM17 is a great draft format, and I've only just done my first one. Thinking person's format with access to great mana fixing, a fairly flat power-level across cards, powerful and synergistic commons, and no discernible hint of a real menacing aggro foil. My kind of limited format for sure.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

MiddleEastBeast posted:

MM17 is a great draft format, and I've only just done my first one. Thinking person's format with access to great mana fixing, a fairly flat power-level across cards, powerful and synergistic commons, and no discernible hint of a real menacing aggro foil. My kind of limited format for sure.

It's a great limited format that makes going back to AER really painful.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
4/1 at gp San Antonio and I am undefeated in all my games. Death shadow is good and people still don't instant what happens when death shadows bump into each other in all in attacks.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

It's a great limited format that makes going back to AER really painful.

Yeah, I am so burnt out on this format. I think SOI/EM was far better.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

4/1 at gp San Antonio and I am undefeated in all my games. Death shadow is good and people still don't instant what happens when death shadows bump into each other in all in attacks.

What happens? I'm guessing that if you take combat damage while your Shadow is blocking something that's the same size as it, your Shadow gets pumped during combat and survives blocking?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

DangerDongs posted:

So the latest Temur Tower that took first at a GP plays 6 direct damage that can hit 3. 3 board wipes that only hit for 2, and of course the Tower.
It plays 5 cancel type counters and 3 negates.

It is pretty evenly split on board / before board removal.
There is a good chance they board out towers if you are playing green due to your sideboard artifact removal.

I dunno, it still seems like an overreaction to a handful of cards for a threat that's not actually that undercosted.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

C-Euro posted:

What happens? I'm guessing that if you take combat damage while your Shadow is blocking something that's the same size as it, your Shadow gets pumped during combat and survives blocking?

More like if you trample over Shadow, it survives because all damage is applied simultaneously, and it ends up becoming X+T with X damage on it where T was the amount of trample before state-based actions are applied.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Swords to Plowshare is powerful. How powerful would it be in Modern, if it were somehow brought about? Friend and I were talking about cards that hose Death's Shadow, and that came up. Obviously it's not legal, but we were discussing how broke it would be in Modern.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

En Fuego posted:

Swords to Plowshare is powerful. How powerful would it be in Modern, if it were somehow brought about? Friend and I were talking about cards that hose Death's Shadow, and that came up. Obviously it's not legal, but we were discussing how broke it would be in Modern.

Hella broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

En Fuego posted:

Stupidly good. Also condemn probably does what you want against deaths shadow but isn't nearly as good in general

• Locked thread