Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The fuckers did however revert the item icons to their old ones and now I can't distinguish girders from small tubes again :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Zudgemud posted:

The fuckers did however revert the item icons to their old ones and now I can't distinguish girders from small tubes again :mad:

Are you kidding!? How in the hell...

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Time to bust out the old flipped girder icon mod.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=300253120&searchtext=icon+tube

Might need some tweaking to work with the current version, I don't have it installed to test.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
They're getting fancy with the patch versions, this week's is 1.179.1

quote:

Summary
Hello, Engineers! Today’s minor release comes with some improvements as the team works towards the next major release. This includes particle fixes for jump drives, character drills and character welders. Additionally, we resolved a number of crashes related to multiplayer.
Owners of the Deluxe version of the game will notice a new badge has appeared in the main menu screen. If you are interested in playing a retro version of Space Engineers from 2013, listening to the entire soundtrack and browsing concept art from the game, check out the Deluxe Edition on the Steam Store.
We are also adding some new features to the ModSDK. This includes a new script that allows modders to quickly fix icons and other UI textures for their mods that haven’t been pre-multiplied by their alpha value. This will bring them up to date with our new sprite rendering changes. The tool was created by our crafty artist Anton Bauer. Simply 'Drag&Drop' your mod’s corrupted Icon / UI - Textures on the supplied batch file and it will compile, overwrite and save your files. All you have left to do after that is re-upload your mod.
Also included in this week's addition to the SDK is our new Font-Tool, with which you can quickly convert any font to a compatible format to be used in the game, literally with the push of a button.
Just as a reminder, we have a Discord server set-up for the discussion of anything related to Keen Software House. This is a great place for you to share creations and ideas, but also to just hang out with fellow engineers: https://discord.gg/KeenSWH
Lastly, next Monday we will be streaming at 7PM CET on the Keen Community Network over on Twitch. The first segment will be with Deepflame looking at Medieval Engineers and the game’s plans for the future and then there will be a Q&A session with Marek and lead artist Natiq, where among other topics, we will be discussing the art in Space Engineers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJR8okpOKFY

Features
- Added Badge for Deluxe Edition owners
- Premultiplication Script (ModSDK)
- The Font Tool + Official Guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=894430460

Fixes
- improved Interior Wall texture
- minor GUI changes
- fixed cockpits forcing 1st person camera view
- fixed development message appearing when pasting blueprint from different versions

Stick around for the teaser at the end too They're adding parachutes :allears:.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're getting fancy with the patch versions, this week's is 1.179.1

Stick around for the teaser at the end too They're adding parachutes :allears:.

Thank Jesus

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I hope they didn't just rip the code from that mod, when attached to some vehicles those parachutes were prone to induce unscheduled but rapid structural disassembly.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
That's a feature. The game would be awfully boring if everything worked right 100% of the time.

.. all joking aside I look forward to them being rolled into the base game. Parachutes would be great for escape pods or drop pods for resupply.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Oh boy, airframe parachutes!

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Parachutes could open up some pretty fun disposable explorer drones

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Zudgemud posted:

I hope they didn't just rip the code from that mod, when attached to some vehicles those parachutes were prone to induce unscheduled but rapid structural disassembly.

I doubt that. The last time I was on the SE discord, I asked a question that was pretty much that and the SE staff in the channel went on a long rant about how that would be infringing on the modder's copyright and was I insane for even considering that. Would be funny if they decided to renege on that stance.
e. something something intellectual property theft

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 2, 2017

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
That is nice of them but there are also the legal option of just kindly ask the modder for permission and give credit to them etc. Though in this case I hope they made their own.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zudgemud posted:

That is nice of them but there are also the legal option of just kindly ask the modder for permission and give credit to them etc. Though in this case I hope they made their own.

This isn't a new thing with Space Engineers. They've already done it twice with the Fighter Cockpit and the corner light/LCD blocks.

Also I'm adding a tunnel-excavating rig to my new multipod for fancy underground bases and general tunnel-digging. As you do.

The random wheel, atmospheric engines and cargo pods are just for clearance/ground-level testing.

It works quite well with the VTOL atmospheric equipment mounted (I've since added some Stone-sorted Ejectors to keep it clearing out).

The rover wheels made me realize that it needed Sorters and Ejectors :cripes:.

j5mello
Jul 23, 2008
So it looks like the teaser for this weeks video update shows off wheeled vehicles that aren't apt to rollover at the slightest turn.

Gotta say between that and parachutes we're getting closer to ground vehicles being useful on planets.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So turrets are curently (still) busted a little. The "target moving objects" setting actually only makes them target non-moving objects.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

j5mello posted:

So it looks like the teaser for this weeks video update shows off wheeled vehicles that aren't apt to rollover at the slightest turn.

Gotta say between that and parachutes we're getting closer to ground vehicles being useful on planets.

Now we just need some game mechanic that actually incentivize the player to go back to planets after they have reached space. Preferably a unique resource or something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

quote:

Summary
Hello, Engineers! Today’s patch is another minor release, bringing some more smaller improvements as the team continues work towards the next major release. This includes a significant fix for ship dampeners so now, ships with multiple types of thrusters will no longer slowly fall in planetary gravity. Additionally, we resolved an issue players were experiencing with ships not being affected by gravity at all which meant they would fly on planets as if they were in space.
Coming up in the next major update, we will have a new in-game server browser for you which has a ton of new features, search filters and performance improvements. Some notable features include the ability to connect to a server via an IP address and search for servers which are using your preferred settings and mods. The list of servers will also load much faster with the new browser.
But rest assured that lots of work is still going into optimizing the game’s performance and multiplayer with a number of stress tests taking place in the last week which have allowed our programmers to analyze and track down the causes of performance drops.

Lastly, next Monday we will be streaming at 7PM CEST on the Keen Community Network over on Twitch. Once again, we’ll be joined by Marek and the producer of Space Engineers, Petr Minarik, where among various topics, we will be discussing the future of the game and what the team here at KeenSWH has been up to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUYdmRXp9n0

Fixes
- Fixed grids slowly falling in gravity when their dampeners were on
- Fixed grids having wrong gravity and mass setting in some cases when they undocked from a voxel

Looks like they finally un-hosed thruster conflicts. Only took them something like a half a year to do, if not more.

Oh wait, the bug I was thinking of is still present; Thrust override is ignored by other thruster types and they'll still fight like hell against it with inertial dampeners.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 7, 2017

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh wait, the bug I was thinking of is still present; Thrust override is ignored by other thruster types and they'll still fight like hell against it with inertial dampeners.
That seems like a very specific gripe...

Anyways, Recently I've went over to the official forums and posted a huge rant/suggestion about how the survival mode in space engineers is lacking. I detailed my hatred about meteorite storms, and my dislike of the current behavior of npc monsters (wolves/spiders) Btw, why were cyberwolves skin changed to regular wolf skin? It make even less sense now.

But anyway, I also talked about how SE has almost no progression system in place, which then spawned an idea! I figured I would come up with some sort of progression system and test it out. A custom scenario with special, self-enforced rules. Basically, you start the game with access to only a few types of blocks, and you unlock more as you defeat custom built pirate bases (specific win condition still being thought up). I figured I could do this and test out these ideas since I have zero modding knowledge.

So then I made a NEW thread about that! If you want, you can check out the progression system thread here: https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/wip-survival-scenario-w-special-rules-unlocking-blocks.7394094/
Fair warning though, it's really long winded, spergy, and heavily WIP. Right now I just need to figure out when what blocks should be unlocked at what points and such. Just check out the thread, there's tons more info there.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 7, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ass_Burgerer posted:

That seems like a very specific gripe...

More of an annoyance if you want to just dial forward thrust up and check out while your ship breaks out of a gravity well.

Or you try sticking disposable JATO Orbital booster rockets on your starfighter so it can launch vertically to space. Even if the extra Azimuth BIG engines make it perfectly capable of climbing out at an angle, it just looks drat cool.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I would be down with most current blocks being base and a research/upgrade path based on things you find and examine/salvage out in deep space or planets.

So you could still build decent ships and nothing is truly locked out (except maybe jump drives?) but better gear requires exploration or raiding.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sorus posted:

I would be down with most current blocks being base and a research/upgrade path based on things you find and examine/salvage out in deep space or planets.

So you could still build decent ships and nothing is truly locked out (except maybe jump drives?) but better gear requires exploration or raiding.

Upgrades would really need to be a universal stat buff to all you've built though, otherwise you have to manually go through rebuilding every previous instance of one to apply it and that's just not fun.

Also wheels should come well before flight. They're cheap, and it makes you really appreciate the greater freedom of getting airborne afterwards.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Yeah, I agree with regard to upgrades, though I was thinking it could be via modules? That whole system is a neat concept but the bare minimum execution is disappointing.

I like the idea of pushing wheels before flight but that could be hidden behind a resource gate or something else to incentive the use of wheels.

Sorus fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 7, 2017

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Pro tip: if you dig to the center of the alien planet, there's a projecter welder combo that works with all of your blueprints (that one's free keen)

By the time you've done that (or found usable resources on planets), keen will have added my suggestion to the game.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk-Ebd4Lalw

They've fixed/fixing wheels to actually behave like wheels

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Spookydonut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk-Ebd4Lalw

They've fixed/fixing wheels to actually behave like wheels

:drat: That looks amazing. I have over 600 hours in SE and I have NEVER built any rovers. Maybe that'll change.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

The few wheeled vehicles I built (starting from before planets!) never felt quite right. Once planets came down the chute, wheels started becoming about as inconsistent as pistons and rotors (read: Clang) and using them was inviting disaster. The only time I really used wheels legitimately was doing that hovercraft thing with zero friction--that was fun because you could get land speeds well beyond the 100m/s airborne limit. :)

I agree with Ambaire. Hopefully wheeled vehicles will be a thing, soon.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Holy freaking crapoli guys have you seen the PHYSFIX mod??

Some modder decided to just remove clang.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Holy freaking crapoli guys have you seen the PHYSFIX mod??

Some modder decided to just remove clang.

Modding: "The game was broken so I fixed it."

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

My friend started up a new dedicated server and I tried making my first rover and... Yeah. It barely moved and barely turned. Half the time it looked like some of the wheels were anchored to the planet surface. I eagerly anticipate the fixes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr. Powers posted:

My friend started up a new dedicated server and I tried making my first rover and... Yeah. It barely moved and barely turned. Half the time it looked like some of the wheels were anchored to the planet surface. I eagerly anticipate the fixes.

Up the power and strength to around the 75-85% mark, friction to 60%-ish, suspension travel to around 30-40%, and maximum offset height. That should get it going. Make sure the Cockpit is toggled to control wheels too.

Also try adjusting the wheel turn speed and max angle.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I spent about two hours playing with settings and using the landing gear on my air ship to flip it upright after it inevitably flipped. I couldn't get it to be any better than super bumpy at maybe twice sprint speed, and then it seemed to stop working all together. I'll play with it again after I build a ship capable of dropping to the planet surface and returning (I moved onto the stars and left the rover behind on the planet).

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

The absolute best way to use wheels is to turn the friction down to zero and just slide everywhere with thrusters and a gyro. Turn friction back up for parking. Crazy fun too, and it's almost just as power efficient as traditional wheeling.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ass_Burgerer posted:

The absolute best way to use wheels is to turn the friction down to zero and just slide everywhere with thrusters and a gyro. Turn friction back up for parking. Crazy fun too, and it's almost just as power efficient as traditional wheeling.

I stuck hydrogen thrusters on the back of my Ant rover because it's meant to be the kind of bushwhacking 4x4 you have Bad Ideas with while driving drunk exploring planets.

Nevermind the onboard blueprinted JATO Overbooster with forced max-thrust output.

Because strapping an oversized hydrogen rocket to the top of your car should not end in a safe landing, or even a landing at all if you're not willing to jettison the thing mid-flight. It just wouldn't be right. There's a small reactor in the JATO rocket, so even if/when you jettison it, it will keep going.

A successful landing, every time. Guaranteed!

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Hold my beer; I want a turn in that thing. :haw:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's on the workshop, go nuts with it.

You'll need a welder to mount the Rocket Overbooster projection, of course. I think the Ant's blueprints are still misaligned from back when they re-centered them in a patch too, so you might need to move the projection onto the mounting point manually.

Just look for "IGNITION" in the control panel, you'll find the timer controlling it. And make sure it's facing open ground first.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

How do you attach something like that with the connector? Is the JATO powered? I would love to be able to build starting from a connector.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr. Powers posted:

How do you attach something like that with the connector? Is the JATO powered? I would love to be able to build starting from a connector.

There are 1x1x1 merge blocks in the Small Ship Mega Mod Pack. And yes, there's a small reactor in it so the fun won't end just because you ejected it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Is it actually connected via connector or just via merge block?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr. Powers posted:

Is it actually connected via connector or just via merge block?

Yup, it's actually hooked up via Connector. I build all my stuff to actually work in Survival mode, and there's a belly connector underneath so you can refuel/reload the buggy while it's parked somewhere in your base/ship/hillbilly shack.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I guess I'm still confused. There's a projector in the vehicle that projects the modules and that lines the connector on the vehicle up with the module, and there are also merge blocks. So, the merge block keeps them connected until built then you can engage the connector?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr. Powers posted:

I guess I'm still confused. There's a projector in the vehicle that projects the modules and that lines the connector on the vehicle up with the module, and there are also merge blocks. So, the merge block keeps them connected until built then you can engage the connector?

Why are you relying on Connectors are your primary means of joining them? Merge blocks are what will keep the ship together as a single grid.

• Locked thread