Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/LanaDelRaytheon/status/847755420168994817

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Azathoth posted:

FDR, for all his faults, is as close as Democrats have right now to a Ronald Reagan figure, and I've never understood why they don't do more to talk about being his inheritors in the same way that Republicans talk about being the party of Lincoln and Reagan.

I've thought for a while that Democrats could get a lot of traction nationwide with a set of policies that intentionally hearken back to FDR's Four Freedoms:

Freedom of Speech - Even if Trump disagrees with you
Freedom of Worship - But not just for Christians
Freedom from Want - The 1% shouldn't live the good life while others suffer
Freedom from Fear - But not just for white folks

It's a coherent message that has relevancy today, while having historical resonance, but I doubt it'd get play inside their messaging shops. Democrats have been utterly incompetent at messaging for as long as I've been alive, I don't know why I think they'll suddenly figure it out now.

FDR changed America a lot more than Reagan, Reagan ultimately only succeed in tweaking the core of the new deal, social security and the administrative state, at the margins.

But FDR message failed 35 years after he died, because by 1980 it was no longer Roosevelt's America

And we are just getting to the point when we are no longer in Reagan's America

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

WMain00 posted:

The Democrats believe that they are the the side of righteous, that only through them will "good" policies be enacted. This is understandable because in the however many years of Democrat and Republican fighting, the Republicans have always shown themselves to be complete and utter monsters. The issue though is that this has caused the Democrats to become narrowly focused, playing more of a mathematical game of stay in power rather than attempting to fix or improve the United States.

This is going to change quick, though. There is a massive grassroots progressive movement within the Democratic Party right now that is vigorously pursuing real candidates with anti-corporate views. Our Revolution, Justice Democrats, and Brand New Congress are just a few of the organizations that are doing this. I believe they just intimidated a few blue dog Democrats into renouncing their intent to vote for Gorsuch. Hopefully by 2020, these groups have pushed a majority of Democrats into adopting real progressive positions such as Single Payer Healthcare and free college tuition.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ytlaya posted:

I find that NPR is good for covering anything that isn't that important. Like their coverage of random stuff that isn't related to politics, the economy, or foreign policy is pretty good.
Everything is politics.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

FuzzySkinner posted:

I keep listening to Chapo's Trap House and their words, along with this post accurately describes my feelings of disgust for them right now.

I used to think the old Conservative talking point about there being a "LIBERAL" media was horseshit. But you know what...it's a half truth. They are liberal, but only when it comes to the sort of liberalism that is espoused by Bill, Hillary and Obama. Beyond that? Well we see what happened during the primary and election cycle.

Honestly? I'm tired of their influence. They've hitched their wagons with neocons and all they care about are just the least important poo poo imaginable. Vague platitudes, and Red baiting 2.0. It feels like they're bizarrely threatened by any sort of change to their current control of the affairs and are now trying to protect that influence with Bush era republicans assisting them. It's really gross and disgusting.

I don't understand why people like Donna Brazille, Debbie Wasserman Schultz and Hillary herself just don't go away at this point. It feels like outlets like Time Magazine and others are so desperate to have this sort of neoliberal/west wing fantasy that the rest of the country has moved on from and wants nothing to do with.

Establishment media (neoliberal) outlets like CNN, NBC, NYT, WaPo, etc. ignored Bernie Sanders in favor of Hillary because they would've been taxed more under the former's economic agenda. You have to remember, these 'media' outlets are corporations, meaning their business model is inherently going to consist of pushing propaganda that preserves their self-interest and that of big money in general. Do you really believe that the current level of Red Baiting and hysteria over Russia is of genuine concern to these people? Hint: it's not. It provides them with the perfect smokescreen to avoid issues of genuine concern and urgency to the middle and lower classes of America (AKA get hosed, poors!). These people would have you believe that Obamacare is a 'left-wing' piece of legislation, despite it originally coming from the Heritage Foundation (Romneycare!).

When Trump calls the MSM 'fake news,' he's not entirely wrong, albeit for different reasons.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

FuzzySkinner posted:

I keep listening to Chapo's Trap House and their words, along with this post accurately describes my feelings of disgust for them right now.

I used to think the old Conservative talking point about there being a "LIBERAL" media was horseshit. But you know what...it's a half truth. They are liberal, but only when it comes to the sort of liberalism that is espoused by Bill, Hillary and Obama. Beyond that? Well we see what happened during the primary and election cycle.

Well, it doesn't help that for most Americans, "liberal" and "left-wing" are synonymous. They're not, but it's important for lefties to specify what they mean when they say "liberal" to normies, IMO.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Majorian posted:

Well, it doesn't help that for most Americans, "liberal" and "left-wing" are synonymous. They're not, but it's important for lefties to specify what they mean when they say "liberal" to normies, IMO.

nah its actually fun to rip on liberals and have some conservative join in thinking youre on their team and then you lay the truth on them

that truth? Maoism Third-Worldism Is The Light

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Azathoth posted:

FDR, for all his faults, is as close as Democrats have right now to a Ronald Reagan figure, and I've never understood why they don't do more to talk about being his inheritors in the same way that Republicans talk about being the party of Lincoln and Reagan.

FDR hated conservative Dems, and he's not bipartisanly popular anymore because the revisionist right has recast him as an incompetent corrupt idiot who doubled the length of the Depression through his foolish redistributive policies

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Majorian posted:

It's funny because when "red state/blue collar" types are introduced or asked about "leftist" ideas? They' seem either for it, or open to the idea. Christ I've even seen them willing to admit that Global Warming is real.

But I can't blame them any more for ranting and raving against "LIBERALS" because they are right on the matter. Those people are assholes, and sadly some of the criticisms of them are right. (Ie: "rich. Don't care about workers, authoritarians).

Main Paineframe posted:

FDR hated conservative Dems, and he's not bipartisanly popular anymore because the revisionist right has recast him as an incompetent corrupt idiot who doubled the length of the Depression through his foolish redistributive policies

Glenn Beck being hailed as a "Historian" and ripping on TR, FDR...still pisses me off to this day. gently caress him.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Main Paineframe posted:

This is mostly among Country Club republicans addicted to Fox News and Talk Radio, though. For instance, Pew Research suggests that 30% of republicans want government healthcare and expanded programs, and that number increases to 52% among republicans who make less than $30k a year: https://www.rt.com/usa/373904-americans-want-government-healthcare/

FuzzySkinner posted:

Glenn Beck being hailed as a "Historian" and ripping on TR, FDR...still pisses me off to this day. gently caress him.

Is he still rotating between Woodrow Wilson and Teddy Roosevelt as the godfather of American communism?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

Hillary and Jeb! both ran campaigns that would have been more at home in the early 90s, they were way out of touch with our current political reality.

A guy who just happened to be president in the early 90s told Hillary's people that her campaign sucked and they really needed to actually go to those flyover-states and talk about policies that matter. He was laughed at by a bunch of 20-something staffers for being out of touch because "that's what Facebook is for".

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 1, 2017

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

The_Franz posted:

A guy who just happened to be president in the early 90s told Hillary's people that her campaign sucked and they really needed to actually go to those flyover-states and talk about policies that matter. He was laughed at by a bunch of 20-something staffers for being out of touch because "that's what Facebook is for".

Hillary's marriage must be extra rough now after he was proven to be correct.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

MaxxBot posted:

Hillary and Jeb! both ran campaigns that would have been more at home in the early 90s, they were way out of touch with our current political reality.

I got a bit of this vibe too.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

The_Franz posted:

Nothing says electoral college victory like a bunch of Brooklyn 20 somethings that have never been west of Hoboken

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I hope at the very least JEB! and Hillary's defeats lead to candidates being more entertaining and spontaneous.

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 1, 2017

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Hillary pulls off the cyberpunk megacorp CEO look well

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Dreddout posted:

Hillary pulls off the cyberpunk megacorp CEO look well

Cyberpunk Magacorp CEO

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Cyberpunk Magacorp CEO

that comes after she joins the GOP and runs as trump term 3

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
liberalism is a ideology that espouses lack of values in the public sphere and diversity based on indirect rule

the diversity of empire

The condition of a protected dependency is more acceptable to the half civilized races, and more suitable for them than direct dominion. It is cheaper, simpler, less wounding to their self-esteem, gives them more career as public officials, and spares of unnecessary contact with white men

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
This thread is sorta a dumpster fire but I've learned a few things which I mean sorta makes it okay. What should I read if I wanna know about the failure of the left? I feel like there's plenty to be learned.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Top City Homo posted:

The condition of a protected dependency is more acceptable to the half civilized races, and more suitable for them than direct dominion. It is cheaper, simpler, less wounding to their self-esteem, gives them more career as public officials, and spares of unnecessary contact with white men

someone should dig up salisbury and wedgie that prep school nerd's corpse

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

buglord posted:

This thread is sorta a dumpster fire but I've learned a few things which I mean sorta makes it okay. What should I read if I wanna know about the failure of the left? I feel like there's plenty to be learned.

Gotta study history to figure out how we got here: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/10/how-democrats-killed-their-populist-soul/504710/

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

That article is stunning in how they destroyed everything.

Pro-click.

I also would recommend this excerpt from "LISTEN LIBERAL", a book I have to get because it nails down the failure of neoliberalism:

http://listenliberal.com/excerpt.html

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

FuzzySkinner posted:

Pro-click.

I also would recommend this excerpt from "LISTEN LIBERAL", a book I have to get because it nails down the failure of neoliberalism:

if mcgovern was the child of the clintonista wave, then why do they hate him so much?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The_Franz posted:

Did this really happen? I've heard it said before, but don't actually know where it's coming from.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

comedyblissoption posted:

npr is a neoliberal shithole that pushed some anti-sanders messaging during the primaries. they only covered sanders from the context of a horse race and not from the context of what policies will benefit americans. theyre currently on the russia hysteria bandwagon. im glad other people call 'em out for what they are because im sick of the insufferable attitude of people who listen to that station as if it's an unbiased or decent news network.

I had to cancel my local membership to NPR affiliate.

The garbage they ran on Sanders. The absolutely feckless coverage of Syria and US involvement. The pissy middle-ground bullshit they do when they bring on an idiot like Frum or some ultra-right think-tank moron and just let them speak without input.

And now non-stop coverage on Russia when there are 10 million other things to worry about. (Oh and focusing an inordinate amount of time on Trump instead of his policies)

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

NPR listeners are 74% more likely to earn $100,000+ in household income, 133% more likely to be in top management positions, and 148% more likely to be C-suite executives

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

Man Musk posted:

NPR listeners are 74% more likely to earn $100,000+ in household income, 133% more likely to be in top management positions, and 148% more likely to be C-suite executives

also 1488% more likely to end up in front of a peoples court in a revolution

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
liberalism embraces cargo cult scientism as a way to justify status quo capitalism and "human nature" by shutting out dissent to alternative forms of social organization

its cyclical failure through myopia to any values serves as the petri dish for fascism

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Hmm

quote:

By quietly cutting back the influence of unions, Dutton sought to eject the white working class from the Democratic Party, which he saw as “a major redoubt of traditional Americanism and of the antinegro, antiyouth vote.” The future, he argued, lay in a coalition of African Americans, feminists, and affluent, young, college-educated whites.
Nice

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Did this really happen? I've heard it said before, but don't actually know where it's coming from.

I don't recall that one specifically, but there were a couple instances where Bill said correct things like "Obamacare has problems and we should promise to fix them and generally improve it", and instead of listening, both the campaign and the media both just laughed it off and called it another crazy Bill Clinton gaffe because it contradicted Hillary's messaging.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't recall that one specifically, but there were a couple instances where Bill said correct things like "Obamacare has problems and we should promise to fix them and generally improve it", and instead of listening, both the campaign and the media both just laughed it off and called it another crazy Bill Clinton gaffe because it contradicted Hillary's messaging.
Bill was the token leftist in the Hillary camp.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

the democrats are still NOT EVEN DOING THIS NOW

https://youtu.be/g2RcTdVMRVo?t=316
nancy pelosi when asked about moving to single payer or medicare for all, a position similar to what prominent democrats in the past had supported, she can't form a coherent sentence

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 4, 2017

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Top City Homo posted:

liberalism embraces cargo cult scientism as a way to justify status quo capitalism and "human nature" by shutting out dissent to alternative forms of social organization

its cyclical failure through myopia to any values serves as the petri dish for fascism

this but like a lot

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

comedyblissoption posted:

the democrats are still NOT EVEN DOING THIS NOW

https://youtu.be/g2RcTdVMRVo?t=316
nancy pelosi when asked about moving to single payer or medicare for all, a position similar to what prominent democrats in the past had supported, she can't form a coherent sentence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZCzHYMEIeo

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

the trump tutelage posted:

Hmm

quote:

By quietly cutting back the influence of unions, Dutton sought to eject the white working class from the Democratic Party, which he saw as “a major redoubt of traditional Americanism and of the antinegro, antiyouth vote.” The future, he argued, lay in a coalition of African Americans, feminists, and affluent, young, college-educated whites.
Nice

I was about to quote this myself lol

So sick and tired of people claiming that there is no conflict between working class and the "coalition" outlined here. Clear as day, they abandoned labour and now they are paying for it.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

I was about to quote this myself lol

So sick and tired of people claiming that there is no conflict between working class and the "coalition" outlined here. Clear as day, they abandoned labour and now they are paying for it.
[/quote]

It also answers the "where has the left been while we've been falling apart?" question centrists love so much. We were locked out of the party.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Egalitarianism is cool and good, I just love the paternalist proto-wokeness of deciding that the ideal coalition in opposition to the forces of anti-egalitarian traditionalism circa 1975 is wealthy, college-educated whites and [all black people]. Like play that out and it's no loving surprise that Hillary "superpredator" Clinton is a Democrat darling.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I think my new highly reductive answer is:

They always hated most of us, but needed us at the same time, so lip service was paid; Silicon Valley's mountains of clean aesthetic techno junk and their bubbled communities have fooled them into thinking that it's the future and they're all going to move to Elysium any day now, so they're letting the mask slip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FuzzySkinner posted:

Pro-click.

This was a great excerpt, just bought the book. Thanks.

• Locked thread