Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Hard to disagree, he's German, he's driving a Ferrari, he's winning. What's not to like?

Vettel is borderline loveable now that he isn't some Red Bull shilling shitcunt. He's funny, he's humble and he's as talented as Alonso imo.

Also, Poois Shamilton should not be a bannable offence. It's way more creative than anything the pituitary retards at rivals.com could come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Full disclosure: I will openly change my opinion of any driver if they race for the scud. I'd be goose stepping and growing a box 'tache if Hitler drove for Ferrari.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Der Vettel is top.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IIRC that specific system was less of a BOP system where you specifically try to make stronger cars weaker and weaker cars stronger, and more like a power/weight rule where you have a set rulebase where cars with x horsepower have to be y kilos heavy. but i might be talking out my rear end here.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Theophany posted:

Hot take: driver helmets should be exempt from sponsor logos. It makes them look poo poo, Vettel's is easily the best now he's grown out of that stupid glitter fart stage.

Hotter take. Driver helmets should be like goalie masks, and they should be allowed to change them whenever like goalies.

e: EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 1, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Theophany posted:

Full disclosure: I will openly change my opinion of any driver if they race for the scud. I'd be goose stepping and growing a box 'tache if Hitler drove for Ferrari.

Same. I hate Nigel Mansell but unconditionally love Ferrari Nige

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Powershift posted:

Hotter take. Driver helmets should be like goalie masks, and they should be allowed to change them whenever like goalies.

Those are too busy and look like rear end.

Mmm. Now thassa helmet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

you're too busy and look like rear end

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If you can't sketch a driver's helmet design easily with a pencil then it sucks rear end. This applies to basically everyone on the grid except Bottas, Vettel, and maybe Lance Stroll.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also everyone should be required to use those old Simpson helmets which are demonstrably the coolest looking racing helmets ever made.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Powershift posted:

you're too busy and look like rear end

Stupid dipshit: Helmets should change constantly and have animals roaring and stupid poo poo on them.

Me, incredibly wisely:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What brand of toothpaste is he advertising?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's Peter Revson, so the correct answer is that he's advertising cosmetics.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

It's Peter Revson, so the correct answer is that he's advertising cosmetics.

ADVENTURES IN WICKA BEING A DUMMY:

Honestly never made that connection.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Revson was probably the last of the great "rich playboy" F1 types, though I guess you could count someone like Niki Lauda in the 80s if you wanted to.

Also, Paolo Barilla, of the pasta family. He sucked rear end.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Alain Post posted:

Revson was probably the last of the great "rich playboy" F1 types, though I guess you could count someone like Niki Lauda in the 80s if you wanted to.

Hunts was the best helmet, also watching Formula E, the commentator just mentioned the competitors had a billion percent more energy than the 2nd place D'Ambrosio... that's your audience

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hunt definitely had a playboy image but I don't think he came from money the way someone like Peter Revson or Wolfgang von Trips did.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Pay drivers used to be cooler. Now we get children with rich parents

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Alain Post posted:

Hunt definitely had a playboy image but I don't think he came from money the way someone like Peter Revson or Wolfgang von Trips did.

True but he got into F1 from money via Lord Hesketh

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

All the non-pay midfield/backfield drivers are just in Formula E now, where they're mostly still midfield non-pay drivers, Like Gutierrez just finished 10th.

Good race though.

https://twitter.com/FIAformulaE/status/848309117420752898

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I always love those "richest ever F1 drivers" lists who list Schumacher as #1 and forget about poor Paolo Barilla who owns like half of the Barilla pasta company and is worth like 1.5 billion dollars.

Revson himself was set to be the heir to a billion dollar estate before he died.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Alain Post posted:

I always love those "richest ever F1 drivers" lists who list Schumacher as #1 and forget about poor Paolo Barilla who owns like half of the Barilla pasta company and is worth like 1.5 billion dollars.

Revson himself was set to be the heir to a billion dollar estate before he died.

Yeah but those figures are for earnings from the sport

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah but a lot of those are presumably stuff like business partnerships and endorsements, which gets a bit fuzzy. As far as "guy who made the most wages from F1", I'd have to guess Lewis Hamilton at this point.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Alain Post posted:

Yeah but a lot of those are presumably stuff like business partnerships and endorsements, which gets a bit fuzzy. As far as "guy who made the most wages from F1", I'd have to guess Lewis Hamilton at this point.

Not really, see how much Schumacher was earning while driving for Ferrari at it's height, he was on 50M a season at the start going up to 80M+ (figures may not be correct but about that) then he had his own sponsorship and image rights stuff, the financial climate died and F1 drivers were a casualty of that

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

the problem is these days that you can't just decide you're going to do it, throw a bunch of money at it, and start doing it. We're stuck with people dedicated to racing from a young age, and you can't gaurantee they won't be a twat. It's like when haley joel osment was hired for being a cute kid and then his head grew a bunch but his face didn't.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
fwiw the list I was using literally had guys like Eddie Irvine in it because they made a shitload of money investing in real estate post-F1, which, at that point, you kinda have to put the Pasta King in there.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Powershift posted:

the problem is these days that you can't just decide you're going to do it, throw a bunch of money at it, and start doing it. We're stuck with people dedicated to racing from a young age, and you can't gaurantee they won't be a twat. It's like when haley joel osment was hired for being a cute kid and then his head grew a bunch but his face didn't.

Watch the BBC doc I quoted earlier, talent doesn't guarentee a drive

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Alain Post posted:

fwiw the list I was using literally had guys like Eddie Irvine in it because they made a shitload of money investing in real estate post-F1.

tbf Ervine was paid a poo poo load to be a number 2 and he knew it, I see your point though

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

djssniper posted:

Filthy Canadian oligarch money does

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

djssniper posted:

Yeah, but money alone doesn't either. You can't make your money and then at 25 or 30 decide to buy a car and race.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Alain Post posted:

Holy poo poo...

I've had this nigga's spaghetti!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IIRC Paolo and Alex Zanardi were pretty close which is why Alex had Barilla sponsorship on his helmet for his entire career.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Alain Post posted:

IIRC that specific system was less of a BOP system where you specifically try to make stronger cars weaker and weaker cars stronger, and more like a power/weight rule where you have a set rulebase where cars with x horsepower have to be y kilos heavy. but i might be talking out my rear end here.

Yeah the P1 Equivalence of Technology that the ACO use basically sets the fuel tank capacity, maximum 3 lap average fuel flow rate and absolute maximum flow rate based on the MJ class of the hybrid system and the type of fuel. Then the teams go build whatever engine they want with those constraints.

BoP is the other way round, the teams build whatever they want and either let the a series test driver run it or run it themselves at an official test so its performance can be checked. The rule makers then give every car different ballast, air restrictors, ride heights, fuel capacities, etc. so they all run at the same speed.

Almost every series that uses BoP tends to gently caress with it a lot between rounds to fine tune it/counteract sandbagging/rig it for bribes/rig it because they hate my favourite team and anytime someone has a bad weekend they just say "yeah but the BoP isn't fair to us."

EoT could work in F1, but some people already don't like the current fuel flow regs and we'd probably get more whining about how it's too complicated for the fans from Crofty and co. BoP though, if you think this thread is bad now just imagine what it would be like the first time Ferrari got a weight break after losing a race.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
For my money BoP does not work in any series with works teams. Organizers in like the BTCC can play hardball with TeamDynamics and Jason Plato, and IMSA with ActionExpress, ESM, and Spirit of Daytona Racing, but once you get Mercedes/Audi/Toyota involved, all bets are off.

The WTCC was the worst example of this, when BMW, Chevrolet and SEAT were all providing 4-6 car works teams, it seemed like every race was a SEAT 1-2-3-4, BMW 1-2-3-4 or Chevy 1-2-3-4 depending on who had lobbied the best to the organizers that week.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 2, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I believe Group A had a power-weight rule and one of the reasons the Sierra was so good is that it fell into a great niche in the Group A regs.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The saddest thing in the world is knowing IMSA won't be this good forever.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

They weren't "playboys" but weren't Diniz and Rosset both from families that owned a bunch of poo poo in Brazil?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Also everyone should be required to use those old Simpson helmets which are demonstrably the coolest looking racing helmets ever made.

Awwwwwww.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Arnoux's helmet is still my favourite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

IIRC Paolo and Alex Zanardi were pretty close which is why Alex had Barilla sponsorship on his helmet for his entire career.

I wonder why Zanardi did so poorly on his F1 return...

• Locked thread