Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

precision posted:

Yeah I just started and it is very good and definitely has a Life is Strange vibe

Just watched episode 7 and it's getting much darker. The earlier episodes had a ton of light dialogue that made it easy to get into the show, those are gone now and everything is sad all the time. Still a great show but I'm starting to really understand what Sepinwall meant when he described the show as a melancholy desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's like a more restrained Donnie Darko and I'm curious where the mystery aspects are going.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm sitting here, watching Will Arnette give commentary on toast making on Netflix.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

wormil posted:

But if you really want to watch the best interpretation of Sherlock Holmes, find The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes from the 80's with Jeremy Brett. I didn't buy into the hype for a long time until it came on Netflix several years ago and now I understand why people say Brett is the best Sherlock.

I watched those all the time as a kid and he's simply wonderful.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

bull3964 posted:

I'm sitting here, watching Will Arnette give commentary on toast making on Netflix.

This is some Space Ghost Coast to Coast poo poo.

There's nothing that directly reminds me of it, but somehow I get that vibe.

EDIT: Confused? You won't be if you go check Netflix tonight before they take this down.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 2, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Adult Swim's April Fools joke had a part two

Holy poo poo

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone currently watching The Detour? Worth getting into?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just a head's up, Adultswim.com is currently running the first episode of the new season of Rick & Morty over and over again until midnight.

Also apparently just regular Adult Swim is doing it too.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 2, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God drat this is a good Rick & Morty premiere

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hughmoris posted:

What the hell?

Yeah, she's like Kilgrave from Jessica Jones or some poo poo, but they don't even attempt to explain how it's supposed to work or be possible.
By the midpoint of the episode the writers seem to have forgotten about it anyway since it never comes into play again.

precision posted:

Oh gently caress yes it was. It had one good episode and one so bad it's good one though.

Wait, which one was the "good" episode

Baronash posted:

I'll never understand this forum's willingness to accept absurdity in the plots of some shows but not others.

duuhhhhh guys what is this "internal consistency" thing

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I genuinely think Sherlock s4 did not make a single good decision outside of "let's bring Toby Jones in and let him devour the fuckin scenery"

although I did chuckle at some of the badass Mrs. Hudson bits, cheap as they were

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you missed the Rick & Morty premiere they're going to be airing it every night the rest of the week.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OK, 13 Reasons Why is really good. And I kind of feel like Clay in the show in that I really want to know more and go to the next episode/tape but it's rough at times, as the subject matter should be, so I kind of want to watch it slowly even more.

Dylan Minnette is great and so is the lead actress who I've never seen before. She has a real tough job too as the logistics of the part really give her a number of different kinds of situations and tones to pull off in addition to the semi narration stuff she has to do as well.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone currently watching The Detour? Worth getting into?

It's very vulgar and often disgusting, but it's one of the funniest shows on TV right now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
13 Reasons Why stumbles a bit in the first few episodes but I'm on episode 5 now and I can't sleep or stop watching, send help

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I was worried after the first episode that the show would focus to much on the relationship drama between Hannah and Justin, I am glad I stuck with it as it really opened up and there are some great supporting characters. Starting ep 12 now, sleep soon.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

After I saw that last Sherlock episode I came to terms with the fact that it's actually just a superhero show.

Even that's been done better.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McSpanky posted:

Even that's been done better.

Jared Harris was so great as full-on Bond villain Moriarty in the second one. :allears:

I think Holmes has always been a bit of a superhero. Some versions just emphasise it a bit more. The original stories were mysteries but they weren't exactly whodunnits in the sense that you could follow the clues as reader and work it out for yourself; Holmes would use his superhuman deductive skills to work out the solution and explain it to Watson so everyone would be impressed. Of course, there's also a link between Holmes and Batman by way of the pulp heroes (the Shadow etc.).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Those guy ritchie movies are so forgettable. I've seen both and can't remember anything except for the patented guy ritchie shirtless men fighting scene.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Those guy ritchie movies are so forgettable. I've seen both and can't remember anything except for the patented guy ritchie shirtless men fighting scene.

The first move had like one really great Zimmer-track™ ah uh yeah that's about it. Second movie was extremely forgettable.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally finished Review. Easily one of the greatest TV comedies of this decade.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Both RDJ Holmes movies are great actually

É: just finished episode 7 of 13 and drat. I might make a thread for this

precision fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 2, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Go for it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Sorry everyone, I went with Timeless. I'm 2 episodes in and so far it's extremely my poo poo. It's like a Timecop tv show if JCVD was very bad at his job. Plus it's got Johnson from Peep Show playing the Elon Musk-esque super genius that invented time travel and hid it from the government and is vaguely evil, so it's got that going for it.

I have no doubts that 12 Monkeys is probably a better show, but it looked very serious and grimdark and like I probably need to pay full attention to it. For a show I can put on and only like pay 75% attention to while I do other things, Timeless is getting the job done right now. Plus, I was thinking I'd like to see a time travel show where they really tear the space time continuum to shreds, and this seems to be that show.

I'll keep you guys updated as to the point where it gets too stupid, repetitive, or formulaic for me to keep watching.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yes 12 Monkeys is something you're going to want to pay attention to because it's easy to miss stuff.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Timeless is a fun show, but ultimately it does the exact trope that every other time travel show does where their mission either directly involves them interacting with a famous event/person (Hindenburg) or them conveniently running into someone (Harry Houdini). It also constantly does the "I'm a huge fan of your work, we studied it in school!" "Oh? It just came out last week...".

I get it, that's the point of a time travel show, but it does get repetitive. I actually haven't watched 12 Monkeys but based on the movie I'm guessing it's not quite as guilty of that trope.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Sorry everyone, I went with Timeless. I'm 2 episodes in and so far it's extremely my poo poo.

I'll keep you guys updated as to the point where it gets too stupid, repetitive, or formulaic for me to keep watching.

I think that point hit at like episode 3 for me. Did the production quality ever get better on that show? The thing that stuck out most to me is how cheap the show looked for something they advertised for months and had in primetime. It looked like something made for Syfy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Escobarbarian posted:

Finally finished Review. Easily one of the greatest TV comedies of this decade.

I love how every veto he does causes nothing but misery

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Based on recommendations here...

I'm now about halfway through Patriot and liking it quite a bit.

Started 13 Reasons and the whole tape schtick comes off a bit eye-rollingly self-obsessive, but otherwise it's pretty good. I'll give it unitl episode 5 at least based on what I've read here.

Looking forward to Legion and Imposters.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah you have to get over the hump of the core conceit of 13 Reasons seeming pretentious and dumb, but I promise it is way worth it. Show gets very dark and real.

e: here a thread for it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815678

precision fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 2, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Medullah posted:

Timeless is a fun show, but ultimately it does the exact trope that every other time travel show does where their mission either directly involves them interacting with a famous event/person (Hindenburg) or them conveniently running into someone (Harry Houdini). It also constantly does the "I'm a huge fan of your work, we studied it in school!" "Oh? It just came out last week...".

I get it, that's the point of a time travel show, but it does get repetitive. I actually haven't watched 12 Monkeys but based on the movie I'm guessing it's not quite as guilty of that trope.

Its not a factor since 12 Monkeys isn't some "bounce around history having antics" time travel show, its a "we have to change fictional history" time travel show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished Patriot and yeah last couple eps totally took me from "this show is pretty great, I like it a lot" to "gently caress gently caress THIS SHOW IS loving FANTASTIC OH MY GOD". If this had come out 10 years ago it would be massively acclaimed event television but peak TV has made it a little-watched show on a streaming network getting mediocre reviews for having "old ideas" (that Verge review is still so goddamn bizarre to me). Glad it's getting the love it deserves here, at least.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Escobarbarian posted:

Finished Patriot and yeah last couple eps totally took me from "this show is pretty great, I like it a lot" to "gently caress gently caress THIS SHOW IS loving FANTASTIC OH MY GOD". If this had come out 10 years ago it would be massively acclaimed event television but peak TV has made it a little-watched show on a streaming network getting mediocre reviews for having "old ideas" (that Verge review is still so goddamn bizarre to me). Glad it's getting the love it deserves here, at least.

Yeah, it's a beautifully shot show with great music and characters. I really hope they go for a season 2.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Decided to give Banshee a shot, just finished the pilot. Pretty solid. Does it keep up the pace?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hughmoris posted:

Decided to give Banshee a shot, just finished the pilot. Pretty solid. Does it keep up the pace?

It's over the top, he sleeps with every girl he meets, and the subplots are generally trashy. I enjoyed it as popcorn TV, but the ending disappointed me.

If you like seeing boobs it's A+ in that regard.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Medullah posted:

It's over the top, he sleeps with every girl he meets, and the subplots are generally trashy. I enjoyed it as popcorn TV, but the ending disappointed me.

If you like seeing boobs it's A+ in that regard.

I am a fan of boobs and excess...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Banshee is good, but like Strike Back I feel there was too much network mandated sex and nudity to the point where it actually hindered the show at times. I mean it's Cinemax we get it, but I mean sometimes it was like I just want to watch the show I don't need a five minute sex scene here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Banshee is great until the final season where they decided that the flashbacks were more important than the present day story.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Hughmoris posted:

I binged all of Banshee a couple months ago, and boy, I never expected to end up loving all of it as much as I did. The action choreography alone is enough, but it ended up having actual emotional resonance, great characterization and characters, and good humor. And the amount/length of sex scenes is nowhere near as bad as like Spartacus, which I just binged all of as well.

Edit: And the ending and how everything shakes out was pretty much perfect. Sometimes that's rare these days.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
There is almost nothing like Banshee on TV. I don't even get the same vibe from Strike Back.

• Locked thread