Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Totally a coincidence. I don't know if I'd ever have three other people to sit down and try Pericles, but it's definitely on my radar. Unfortunately I've got all these COIN games to fill the semi-coop team style four player game where you make your friends hate you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

StashAugustine posted:

We need to know if the presidency will still exist by then

A little bit of thread meme at this point, but FoF has a famously incoherent ruleset- I remember Lichtenstein posted a partial playthrough where rules as written a bunker they were supposed to assault ran away from them and ended offmap, and there's a bunch of similar unintuitive, complicated, and possibly contradictory stuff going on

Lichtenstein posted:

Usually solo games have a disclaimer that no matter how many cases had been foreseen, weird interactions might happen nevertheless and in such case player's should follow their common sense.

FoF made it its main design principle.

PS. CommonShore, the game is basically playable on Vassal and so I'd advise checking it out there before embarking on this journey to the heart of dorkness.

Thanks! I will check it out. Do you think that these rules problems will be rectified in the second edition?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

CommonShore posted:

Thanks! I will check it out. Do you think that these rules problems will be rectified in the second edition?

It's hard to even imagine, but then again

rando BGG post from January posted:

On 6/28/14 the first rule suggestion was posted by an FoF player who was volunteering to help with the new ruleset on a private section of the Fields of Fire Boot Camp website.

Since then over 15 FoF players have volunteered their time to help improve the rules. Some of them have made significant investments in time and effort to document their concerns with, and suggestions for, the rules.

There have been exactly 751 concerns and suggestions logged, each attached to a specific rule. Ricky (Preacher) has read and analyzed each concern and suggestion, in most cases responding to the contributor. He has then incorporated the applicable changes and contributions into the new ruleset.

In addition Ben has added new rules for urban warfare to accommodate the Hue City scenarios.

gives me hope someone else than Ben Hull wrote it out from the very beginning. It certainly should be possible: it's not that the rules are intertwined so complexly as to collapse, but rather are poorly documented and too lax at times and the system is too unique to offer clear, intuitive common sense solutions.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
I sold my guitar and bought Comancheria, Fields of Despair, and the Pericles P500. Sex is so overrated.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Cool, are you all free on say, Monday evening? I'm in PST but can stay up late. Also buy plat already, Huskalator.

Yeah Monday evening works. I'm in central time here.

Do I need a plat for this?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Huskalator posted:

I sold my guitar and bought Comancheria, Fields of Despair, and the Pericles P500. Sex is so overrated.

Good news for you: the idea that playing guitar leads to sex has been thoroughly discredited.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

CaptainRightful posted:

Good news for you: the idea that playing guitar leads to sex has been thoroughly discredited.

Yeah, especially if you're utter poo poo at the thing.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Huskalator posted:

Yeah Monday evening works. I'm in central time here.

Do I need a plat for this?

No, just drop me an email at twinxor@gmail.com

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Krazyface posted:

I am shocked, just astonished, to see Mr President pushed back to 2018.

you have got to be kidding me. wtf is it with presidential election games? 1960 has taken a couple years since it "made the cut" and Campaign Trail was supposed to be out way before the 2016 primaries started.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Mr. President was a pretty nonsensical game when it was first announced in the Obama years. Now it looks like high fantasy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Mr. President was a pretty nonsensical game when it was first announced in the Obama years. Now it looks like high fantasy.

If you showed me this presidency a year ago I would've called it high fantasy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yes, Minister game when

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm still laughing thinking about the one update the developer did where his European friends had to point out to him that unilateral drone strikes in Europe wouldn't be well received.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Punchin' and clipping The Greatest Day. I managed to clip all the Brits off the sprue. Now for the Germans and the markers...............

I'm tempted to just say sod the markers.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

tomdidiot posted:

Punchin' and clipping The Greatest Day. I managed to clip all the Brits off the sprue. Now for the Germans and the markers...............

I'm tempted to just say sod the markers.

How about sod you, huh?! :argh:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

mr president is that game where there's like a billion tracks to manage right

and there's no limit on rivals so you could theoretically have all of congress as your rival if you roll bad enough

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

What type of glue works well with Napoleons Triumph?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Jobbo_Fett posted:

How about sod you, huh?! :argh:

Sooo much hate for non-clippers!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Get out.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Fields of Despair is really good in case anyone was wondering.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Huskalator posted:

Fields of Despair is really good in case anyone was wondering.

Can you expand on that AAR?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Just got charged for Pericles! Looks like the shipping is back down to $15, too.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

Ropes4u posted:

Can you expand on that AAR?

The mechanics are easy to learn but there's a lot of depth to the gameplay and it captures western front warfare nicely.

Edit: It's basically infantry moves two hexes and when they meet the enemy you roll dice to see who dies. There's more and that's where the fun is but the simplicity of it has made it easy to get to the table so far.

Huskalator fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 27, 2017

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Huskalator posted:

The mechanics are easy to learn but there's a lot of depth to the gameplay and it captures western front warfare nicely.

Edit: It's basically infantry moves two hexes and when they meet the enemy you roll dice to see who dies. There's more and that's where the fun is but the simplicity of it has made it easy to get to the table so far.

I need a wife friendly war game maybe this is it.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

Lord Frisk posted:

I've tried rubber cement, and it works ok (it gets a little tacky when it dries), but I haven't found a good solution. I've been told superglue will go, but I'm worried about damaging the components.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I painted varnish over the stickers. I assume they're still on. I haven't opened the box in a couple of years probably.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lord Frisk posted:

E6000. Wash your flags with soap and water, air dry for half an hour. Use a toothpick to spread a thin layer of E6000, wiping excess after you press the stickers down. Spray with matte spray like Mod Podge after it dries overnight. I don't think it's necessary if you're careful, but a lot of glue got on my fingers which gave the flags a tacky feeling and acrylic spray took away that unpleasant texture.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I'm trying to get unplayed games on the table before I move, so next up is Wilderness War. Anybody have experience with this? It doesn't seem crazy hard or anything. CDG with leaders and point to point movement and different terrain types. I was wondering about general strategy or stumbling blocks.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I played it ages ago and the point that the game drills into you is that you can only realistically attack by following river lines and trying to actually fight in the aforementioned wilderness is a really bad idea.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also new C&C is coming out, for the American War of Independence, made by Compass Games.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
I played the tiny scenario for OCS's The Blitzkrieg Legend (OCS games almost always have a mini-scenario that's like one to three turns to get a bearing of play), then set up the full campaign game's historical setup scenario. Then I realized I wouldn't have a week to solo through that and put it all back up because I'm stupid.

Tiny game impressions leave me to think there's a lot of pockets of approaches you'd have to make in the full game, and that the game will suffer fiddliness problems that Sicily II has except three-times over because of size and amount of pieces. I do want to play an OCS that uses extenders the way TBL is going to demand--the Germans can only use trace supply via rails in Germany. One enticing thing about TBL is that there are a lot of smaller mini-campaign scenarios for this that make it a game the box says is "The OCS game you can finish." I wager the full map campaign would take as long as a full campaign of Tunisia II. There are a quarter of the turns that Tunisia II has but there are an egregious amount of pieces to maneuver compared to the drip-feed of units you get in Tunisia II.

Either way here's what my set up looked like before I put it all back. Eventually I'll get this thing tried:

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Trynant posted:

I played the tiny scenario for OCS's The Blitzkrieg Legend (OCS games almost always have a mini-scenario that's like one to three turns to get a bearing of play), then set up the full campaign game's historical setup scenario. Then I realized I wouldn't have a week to solo through that and put it all back up because I'm stupid.

Tiny game impressions leave me to think there's a lot of pockets of approaches you'd have to make in the full game, and that the game will suffer fiddliness problems that Sicily II has except three-times over because of size and amount of pieces. I do want to play an OCS that uses extenders the way TBL is going to demand--the Germans can only use trace supply via rails in Germany. One enticing thing about TBL is that there are a lot of smaller mini-campaign scenarios for this that make it a game the box says is "The OCS game you can finish." I wager the full map campaign would take as long as a full campaign of Tunisia II. There are a quarter of the turns that Tunisia II has but there are an egregious amount of pieces to maneuver compared to the drip-feed of units you get in Tunisia II.

Either way here's what my set up looked like before I put it all back. Eventually I'll get this thing tried:

TBL is probably a great Con-game because of the high piece density + low turn count. Lots of people on each side moving things around should really help out!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
What is even happening here.

The doom approaches.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I have the whole new edition preordered, I hope it ships before I move in June

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Played the second small scenario of It Never Snows yesterday. Only uses a small rectangle of one map. I was introducing a friend to war games and SCS seemed like a good entry point. The scenario was for the allies to defend a bridge long enough until reinforcements could cut in and block off german advances. The allies didn't relieve the troops holding the bridge in time and we called it midway through realizing there was no real chance of the Germans not winning. I will say that the flavor and good stuff of war games don't really show themselves in a tiny part of a Standard Combat Series game--It Never Snows really shines when you take into account the larger game and the flavor can be added in to a very cut-and-dry introductory system. As it stands, a small skirmish showed off some general wargaming concepts (combat tables, strength factors, movement allowance, zone of control, supply lines, etc.), but ultimately the tiny taste got a response of "eh, take it or leave it" from both of us. Also introducing wargaming with a tweezer game is probably not ideal :v

Obligatory pictures:

Friend new to wargaming said he wasn't sold on it but the game explained a lot of what the hell I was going on about when chatting about this poo poo. It was nice to hear him comment how he didn't feel the units felt like they were distinct from each other (tanks and infantry follow the same strength factors with different numbers), which pleased me because of how more in-depth games do differentiate that with multiple types of movement allowances and combat types. Who knows, maybe I can find a mid-weight war game to push on him next time. No Retreat perhaps?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So much stacking on such a small map! *runs for the hills*

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

al-azad posted:

So much stacking on such a small map! *runs for the hills*

For all you know those could just be very large tweezers.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

What's the scope/scale/salient features of SCS compared to the other *CS's?

Is the OCS Blitzkrieg Legend connected to the book of the same name and its thesis (that Germany had no coherent doctrine guiding the 1940 campaign)?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

anti_strunt posted:

What's the scope/scale/salient features of SCS compared to the other *CS's?

Is the OCS Blitzkrieg Legend connected to the book of the same name and its thesis (that Germany had no coherent doctrine guiding the 1940 campaign)?
Afaik, SCS is a simplified operational level system. It's meant to be simpler than other operational level games/play faster. The issue with it is that it doesn't hold flavour well and that all the games in the series are the same and thus not very evocative of the battles they are portraying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks!

I was reading through the thread and saw the mention of the "TSWW" series ("The Second World War" - no hubris there...) which is apparently supposed to be the Europa System of the 21st century only this series is totally not going to flame out you guys?

So I had a look at a review of TSWW: Blitzkrieg:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/573966/first-look-tsww-blitzkrieg/page/1

And apparently the game designer decided to weigh in, and then stick around to drop some development updates of future series games, over a period of several years, in the comments thread of a random BGG review.