Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Shbobdb posted:

To be fair, Dick's writing is very coherent for someone with schizophrenia who is self-medicating with methamphetamine and LSD.

Yeah. Dick wasn't interested in world building or realism, and on top of that he was insane and on drugs. That produced some pretty interesting books where the scifi aspect to them is secondary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

fishmech posted:

Well in this specific instance, there's massive Japanese and German armies on hand to stop Canada and Mexico from doing anything, and also to keep Canada from being meaningful opposition to either power.

I was talking more about things like Kaisereich or that Traitors and Tyrants map where the U.S collapses rather than stuff like High Castle where the whole country was outright conquered.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

I like this map. If you continued even further south it'd turn into that old Powers of Ten video...

In fact, if you check the pdf in the source link, they have a Mercator version of Powers of Ten.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The twist of the novel is that the reality depicted in it is in violation of nature, and that the cosmos itself is trying to escape to a more plausible, more reasonable reality, similar to ours. This manifests itself in many different ways, including through lapses of characters to material reality of real world America when they find themselves in state of enhanced consciousness. In light of that I would say any non-sensical features of the world actually enhance the story.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Fun fact: "kirja" is Finnish for "book", so the title seems to be "The Oracle Book" or "The Book of Oracles". Funny that they chose to focus on that aspect of the story.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 1, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The original name, Man in The High Castle, also focuses on that same aspect of the story. The significance of the Oracle and the Man is one and the same.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Kopijeger posted:

Fun fact: "kirja" is Finnish for "book", so the title seems to be "The Oracle Book" or "The Book of Oracles". Funny that they chose to focus on that aspect of the story.

I'm assuming that the Yijing in Finnish would be "kirja" or something like "Chinese Kirja"?

Because Man in the High Castle is more about a crazy dude's "California mystic" take on the Yi than pretty much anything else.

It's a good name for the book.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Duckbag posted:

Also draining the Mediterranean would probably create hundred of miles of salt flats and brackish malaria swamps rather than farmland. Plus it might reroute the gulf stream and freeze half of Europe.

Shbobdb posted:

To be fair, Dick's writing is very coherent for someone with schizophrenia who is self-medicating with methamphetamine and LSD.
Well it's not like that was his idea in the first place.

And I don't actually remember that being mentioned in the book at all, might be just something the author of the maps decided to add.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

mobby_6kl posted:

Well it's not like that was his idea in the first place.

And I don't actually remember that being mentioned in the book at all, might be just something the author of the maps decided to add.

I like how Venice gets a huge canal built just so it retains sea access but every other city, town, and village on the Mediterranean coast is SOL.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pakled posted:

I like how Venice gets a huge canal built just so it retains sea access but every other city, town, and village on the Mediterranean coast is SOL.

I mean not being in the sea would completely destroy the only good thing about Venice. That it will soon be gone.

Also why bother extending the Suez canal when you're destroying its worth as a shipping route with a huge dam across the Straits of Gibraltar?

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 1, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

Probably the most reasonable map:

I'm Finland as a "power".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Baron Corbyn posted:

I mean not being in the sea would completely destroy the only good thing about Venice. That it will soon be gone.

Also why bother extending the Suez canal when you're destroying its worth as a shipping route with a huge dam across the Straits of Gibraltar?
You could create a series of locks to lift ships in and out of the Mediterranean.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kopijeger posted:

Oraakkeli is singular and oraakkelin is genitive so it's Oracle's Book, The Oracle's Book, An Oracle's Book, The Book of Oracle, A Book of Oracle, The Book of the Oracle, The Book of an Oracle, A Book of an Oracle, or A Book of the Oracle - take your pick :mmmhmm:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 1, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Baron Corbyn posted:

It will still be a shipping route for the (new) ports of Southern Europe and North Africa to get to the East Indies and China.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm Finland as a "power".

A Nazi ally getting to keep their independence makes sense.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The border doesn't make sense though, as Greater Finland would extend much further east.

*edit* Something like this:

doverhog fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 1, 2017

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Poor Finland. Can't even irredentist right.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

doverhog posted:

The border doesn't make sense though, as Greater Finland would extend much further east.

*edit* Something like this:

If you are going to claim areas where Sami are found, why not the South Sami as well? And what the hell is "Pohjanlinna"? The location makes it seem like Narvik, but wouldn't the name mean something like "Northern Fortress"? Why does "Tromssa" lose the T? Also, the claims on Svalbard, Frans Josef Land and Novaja Zemlja are remarkable.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I am not claiming anything, I did a Google image search for Suursuomi and picked one of the maps that came up as illustration. It took about a minute so please don't draw any conclusions, except maybe that I'm lazy.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
In what universe would the Germans let the Finns have St. Petersburg?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Funny, searching for the same term led to this:

At first glance it looks like some Civil War map with captions in Spanish or something, but then you notice that the perfidious Swede has absorbed Norway, and that "Finlandia" has gained Sør-Varanger/Etelä-Varanki.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

In what universe would the Germans let the Finns have St. Petersburg?

In what universe would Germany win the war? The map is the fantasy of some Finnish fascist, so it's not really based on anything, just meant to look cool, and big.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

Never not destroy Venice.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I'm Non-Aligned Independent Tierra del Fuego

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Byzantine posted:

Never not destroy Venice.

I can see why a Byzantine would say this

AgentF
May 11, 2009
A globe I found in a university in China.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AgentF posted:

A globe I found in a university in China.

I'm the spoopy Mediterranean sea.

e: No Sweden, 10/10 globe!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm happy Tasmania

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Wow I didn't realize China cared so much about the Mexican Cession.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I support the Chinese effort to sink Alabama.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Ciudad Demexzcd.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
spotted (and covered up) this Dutch fascist sticker today:

it says "Here and on the other side - there and here is the netherlands" it rhymes in Dutch.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Im the random white line separating NZ's islands.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You could create a series of locks to lift ships in and out of the Mediterranean.

Or simply brute force it and build a ship lift!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQo_9zduQUQ

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Or simply brute force it and build a ship lift!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQo_9zduQUQ
Something like the Falkirk Wheel would probably look more impressive at that scale.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

ekuNNN posted:

it says "Here and on the other side - there and here is the netherlands" it rhymes in Dutch.

No Bakker-Schut Plan, 1/10. Nederland's grens kome aan de Wezer!

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

ekuNNN posted:

So this is basically Netherlands + Flanders, right? I get that they're stupid fascists, but why not claim leadership over the whole Benelux for maximum low countries? Nationalists have no imagination.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Duckbag posted:

So this is basically Netherlands + Flanders, right? I get that they're stupid fascists, but why not claim leadership over the whole Benelux for maximum low countries? Nationalists have no imagination.
The Netherlands must still remain pure - regional minorities are just way too much of a bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Which I guess means they're just pretending the Netherlands isn't already full of those.