Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

15 hours played and I only just played my first 2 solo games. Wow, it's a totally different monster than squads. I think it might be more fun alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Solo is really fun, yeah. It's far more stressful IMO, Duo is sort of similar and Squads are either a poo poo show of hilarity or a Spec Ops simulator depending on your team makeup.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Nazzadan posted:

15 hours played and I only just played my first 2 solo games. Wow, it's a totally different monster than squads. I think it might be more fun alone

VikingSkull posted:

Solo is really fun, yeah. It's far more stressful IMO, Duo is sort of similar and Squads are either a poo poo show of hilarity or a Spec Ops simulator depending on your team makeup.

It depends on your squad. If you're new to the Battle Royale game, you're probably deadweight on a squad, dragging your buddies into firefights where they'll be effectively outgunned. People have been playing Battle Royale/H1Z1 for years, so you're up against pretty stiff competition.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

What are good strats for beginning of rounds? Right now I try to land on a road or something and try to get a car to drive away from the flight path, but most of the time I end up forced into small towns to find loot and get destroyed by others.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I like how all the answers to ttk being too fast are, "GET GOOD!!" or "IF YOU'RE LUCKY ENOUGH TO FIND BETTER EQUIPMENT" I regularly make it down to 20 or less people and then just get shot in the head from behind from a million miles away because the final circle is in the middle of a field or forest with very little cover.

if you get hit in the head by 7.62 or .338 magnum, you will probably die. this applies to both in game and real life.

the circle being in an open field or whatever you are saying is disadvantageous to everyone pretty much unless you use your big brain and start positioning yourself before death circle closes in.

ttk is not an issue for me because i played arma and quake instagib so you are welcome to hold bad opinions that is your first amendment right :911:

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Each small square grid on the map is 100m.

god bless you

Rite Of Massage fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 2, 2017

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

creatine posted:

What are good strats for beginning of rounds? Right now I try to land on a road or something and try to get a car to drive away from the flight path, but most of the time I end up forced into small towns to find loot and get destroyed by others.

That's a good strat. Boats are good, too, and there are many on the coast. I'm pretty bad at this (although feel myself getting better constantly), but looting in peace is key. From watching streamers, you can be in the first circle for a pretty long time as long as you have a vehicle scoped out and some meds, you can spend a decent amount of time getting geared up.

I've also had games where I go for a small settlement, but then suddenly notice 2.3 other guys landing at the same place. I just turn and run, looting the odd smaller house, but then manage to kill someone who has done all the looting for me.

Really enjoying this game. Spotted a guy, and usually I would not have engaged, but I needed some gear and he was between me and the circle, so I stalked him a bit. I had a Kar with an ACOG. Wasn't sure where he disappeared to, but was pretty sure he was in a big house up ahead. I moved up on the house, didn't have much cover, and was looking at some cream circle in a window. Was scoped in, looking at it for ages, and then it moved. I had thought it was a helmet, but was not at all sure, and didn't want to announce my presence yet. Then I guess he saw me, because he started shooting at me, but I took his head off with a single shot. Felt so good. This was a lot of words for a little moment that happens to everyone constantly, but I got such a rush from it. This is my first time playing this kind of game.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

VikingSkull posted:

In CS you can overcome bad positioning with aggressive play and good aim, but in PUBG you're much better off being cautious and not shooting at all if you can help it. It's almost never beneficial to move from point A to point B in a straight line, which means you have to preplan where you're going, you need to look around you and then use what you can to get there with the most coverage possible.

All the aim practice in the world won't help you if you don't plan a way to get to cover and set up the shots you take.

I get what you are saying, but at some point there is going to be a fight. I feel like I'm fairly OK at moving around without being shot at, I just try to emulate what the top streamers do and I have gotten several top 10s but that was just by being sneaky. My aiming is really disappointing, especially in a stressful situation. There isn't much chance to practice shooting in this game since I never want to attract attention. It would be nice if this game had a shooting range or some kind of training mode.

This game is exhilarating, the sense of danger is there all the time and the stakes feel high.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rite Of Massage posted:

if you get hit in the head by 7.62 or .338 magnum, you will probably die. this applies to both in game and real life.

video games should be like real life blah blah blah, oh wait no they shouldn't

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

That's a good strat. Boats are good, too, and there are many on the coast. I'm pretty bad at this (although feel myself getting better constantly), but looting in peace is key. From watching streamers, you can be in the first circle for a pretty long time as long as you have a vehicle scoped out and some meds, you can spend a decent amount of time getting geared up.

I've also had games where I go for a small settlement, but then suddenly notice 2.3 other guys landing at the same place. I just turn and run, looting the odd smaller house, but then manage to kill someone who has done all the looting for me.

Really enjoying this game. Spotted a guy, and usually I would not have engaged, but I needed some gear and he was between me and the circle, so I stalked him a bit. I had a Kar with an ACOG. Wasn't sure where he disappeared to, but was pretty sure he was in a big house up ahead. I moved up on the house, didn't have much cover, and was looking at some cream circle in a window. Was scoped in, looking at it for ages, and then it moved. I had thought it was a helmet, but was not at all sure, and didn't want to announce my presence yet. Then I guess he saw me, because he started shooting at me, but I took his head off with a single shot. Felt so good. This was a lot of words for a little moment that happens to everyone constantly, but I got such a rush from it. This is my first time playing this kind of game.

Literally after posting this I went in game and found a car and drove to the opposite side of map from circle. Get out at the small village in the most NW of map and a guy insta kills me with SKS

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Doorknob Slobber posted:

video games should be like real life blah blah blah, oh wait no they shouldn't

Actually there's a more arcadey version of this game called h1z1 if you wanna check it out.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Another big tip that I found is not to get greedy. If you have a decent load out without any big gaps then just roll with it rather than looting every building you come across, especially in late game. You do not need to carry 150 rifle rounds at all times, I'm pretty sure it's hard coded that you will be sniped if you fire more than a handful in an encounter.

Similarly, if you have a passable rifle then it's generally not worth looting for the very rare chance that you will find an awesome sniper.

Looting buildings is the second most dangerous part of this game, next to sprinting across an open field to beat the blue ring, so do it as sparingly as possible.

creatine posted:

Literally after posting this I went in game and found a car and drove to the opposite side of map from circle. Get out at the small village in the most NW of map and a guy insta kills me with SKS

Cars are really, really loud so it's probable that he just tracked you until you stopped moving.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Actually there's a more arcadey version of this game called h1z1 if you wanna check it out.

The funny thing for all the so realistic talk is that if a car is about to run you over all you have to jump and you hop right over like some kind of ninja. Also h1z1 and this are pretty much the same game as far as I can tell, but I haven't played that since they first split the main game from the king of the hill part

my favorite part is when i realistically hit someone in the head with a sickle three times but still die from bullets because of lag or whatever

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 2, 2017

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Doorknob Slobber posted:

The funny thing for all the so realistic talk is that if a car is about to run you over all you have to jump and you hop right over like some kind of ninja.

i don't think anyone is screaming about "realism" more than "fun, intuitive shooting game with exciting emergent gameplay without some of the obvious shortcomings of previous mil-sim iterations of similar BR games"

also your complaint is already addressed in the upcoming patches

quote:

Upcoming Months Stuff
Vault Mechanic, Climb and such will be added, jumping will be reduced to realistic levels when vaulting system introduced , which is expected to take 2 months(end of May)

here's to you, hopefully, being less pedantic in the future :cheers:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sorry but pedantic is "lol if you get hit in the head with a 7.62 bullet in real life you would also die" when my comment was, getting shot once and dying is stupid gameplay. Even noted bad game rainbow six siege is easier to figure out where you're being shot from

on the plus side some retard paid almost $4 for a puffy red jacket

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 2, 2017

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Vault mechanic will be sick, jumping over fences is really annoying right now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I just hope that the vaulting is relatively quick and not like ARMA, where you have to get authorization signed in triplicate before you can pick up your right foot.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

In my last game, I found a car and boat immediately and decided to take the boat to the other side of the map. Looted up, and went to leave figuring I would have to med once along the way but no big deal. Except I immediately beached my boat on the rocks and had to try to run half the map (~2km I think?) to the circle, popping meds all the way and hoping to find a car. Didn't make it.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Hell yeah won my first squad game, 3/4 alive, fourth guy dying deservedly in the final fight for pushing alone when he shouldn't have

Feels kind of like cheating when the squad is your cs team tho :v:

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I'm sorry but pedantic is "lol if you get hit in the head with a 7.62 bullet in real life you would also die" when my comment was, getting shot once and dying is stupid gameplay. Even noted bad game rainbow six siege is easier to figure out where you're being shot from

on the plus side some retard paid almost $4 for a puffy red jacket

I found the section of the recent update post about the sound mechanics pretty helpful. Like I was definitely getting disoriented by the bullet crack sounds and spinning around like a moron till I read it.

Of course there's still always assholes who find suppressors to deal with :shrug:

I just find the sound propagation mechanics/modelling pretty neat in general though.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Wait so you don't hear the bullets source but you hear by how far and where it went past?! Is that realistic?

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

You do hear the actual gunshot, too, that's just the mechanic for the actual bullet crack/whiz effect.

Devs posted:

Gunshot Sound

Each gunshot sound you hear in game has propagation delay based on distance between source and the listener
The propagation velocity is 340m/s so if a pistol is shot 340m away from the listener, he will see the muzzle flash first and hear the gunshot after 1 second
If gunshot is fired from indoor or there is no direct or approximate line of sight (obstructed), the reverb effect and LPF are applied to the sound effect

Bullet Crack/Whizz Effect

Bullet crack effect (or bullet bow shockwave) is generated when a supersonic projectile passes in close proximity to the listener. The effect can be heard in a closest point on bullet trajectory line.
Basically, the sound source is always perpendicular to the trajectory line, so if you hear a bullet crack just in your left headphone, you know that the shooter is either directly in front of you, or behind you

Most of our weapons are supersonic. This means that you will hear the crack/whizz before you hear the actual gunshot
In a scenario where you see a shooter 1000m away, using AWM (>900m/s muzzle velocity) the events will occur in such order:

1. You see the muzzle flash

2. After ~1 sec you hear the crack/whizz (assuming no air drag)

3. After ~3 sec you hear the gunshot

Bullets passing close to the player will generate a crack sound, the ones passing further away will only generate whizz effect
We blend between different sound samples based on distance (the maximum distance and attenuation characteristic is also affected by suppressor attachment). The close gunshot sounds louder and more clear than the distant one

In the current public build, all bullets generate a sound crack effect. We've changed this mechanic by adding a velocity check, so bullets travelling slower than speed of sound will not generate the crack effect but just whizz.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

Hell yeah won my first squad game, 3/4 alive, fourth guy dying deservedly in the final fight for pushing alone when he shouldn't have

Feels kind of like cheating when the squad is your cs team tho :v:

i cant wait until they put in the kreig and aug to hear more about your icelandic cod gun squad adventures

greetings from america

willie_dee posted:

Wait so you don't hear the bullets source but you hear by how far and where it went past?! Is that realistic?

the way it works is that the bullet goes faster than the speed of sound so if a person is shooting your from sufficiently far away the bullet will:
first *crack* if it is shot next to you
second you will hear the sound of the gun firing

:science:

someone already posted better information about gunshots above me so just ignore this

Rite Of Massage fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 2, 2017

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone hear rounds hitting the floor when someone shoots? What is up with that?

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

succ posted:

Does anyone hear rounds hitting the floor when someone shoots? What is up with that?

Bolt action rifle sometimes seem to trigger a global case eject.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Man I got hooked up with some guys for a squad and having 4 people in Teamspeak coordinating in this game is so crazy.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
Just had my best finish yet (2nd) on a total joke round. I noticed the island in the very far northeast and decided to see what it was. A quick boat trip later, turns out that it's the lobby island and all the buildings are fully lootable (though sadly the gun tables are empty).

By the time I got done with that, I was well outside the forcefield but I had picked up a bunch of healing, so I decided to see if I could make it back in. I juuuuust barely managed to scrape inside with about 1/10 of a health bar and no healing left, after running out of gas and switching to a Dacia. I decided to gently caress around the rest of the round and just drive in circles to see how long I could make it - turns out, people who survive a few circle closes aren't huge about taking pot shots at some idiot doing donuts in the middle of a field.

I managed to flip the car up onto it's side eventually, but it flipped with the belly facing the sniper hill in the circle so I decided to hang out and hopefully ambush whoever came to investigate. No one did though - I was totally exposed but I assume everyone assumed someone else had already finished me off and forgot about me.

Eventually I had to run to a nearby garage due to the circle... where I found another mint condition Dacia. Clearly that was a sign, so I hopped in and kept driving in wild circles while everyone else killed each other, until the lone survivor finally put a stop to the shenanigans with an m16.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

If only you could have run the last guy over.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
Today I have died from cutting my parachute cord out of a tree, and once clipping the side of a building, parachute disappearing, and then falling to my death. I loving hate this game sometimes. I also tried walking down into the military crater and I fell into a loving cavern and couldn't escape.

Also gently caress the dune buggy.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I know it's probably too "arcadey", but I really wish there was a killcam in this game, at least when playing on solo. It's all fair and well to get evaporated from three hundred yards away, but I would like to actually KNOW who shot me and how.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I know it's probably too "arcadey", but I really wish there was a killcam in this game, at least when playing on solo. It's all fair and well to get evaporated from three hundred yards away, but I would like to actually KNOW who shot me and how.

You can't have it in duo or squad at all unless you are the last teammate. I hope that makes sense. Solo, maybe, but then it would give a lot of people's secret spots away.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

VulgarandStupid posted:

You can't have it in duo or squad at all unless you are the last teammate. I hope that makes sense. Solo, maybe, but then it would give a lot of people's secret spots away.

Yeah, that's why I specified Solo. Idk, without it I feel like some kills were less "Hey someone shot me" and more "bullets just appeared out of thin air, must be magic, there is no way that I could have avoided this".

E. I know that it is the nature of this style of game, it is just frustrating.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 2, 2017

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
That insta-mystery death part is kinda what sells me on the game. Like, you already deal with the RNG gods with loot and circle placement, getting sniped from a poltergeist a mile away, to me anyway, is just another RNG result. Or maybe that's how I compartmentalize it to keep from raging, I dunno.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I'm being haunted by a malevolent Battlegrounds spirit. He lives in uncleared corners and stairwells and carries an S686. He takes away the bad little boys and girls who don't treat every goddamn building like there's someone else in it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

dev already said there would be a killcam for 5~ seconds in solo i think

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Just love it when people slowly stream into a door and ignore the stack of death crates as I camp on top of a set of stairs.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

That insta-mystery death part is kinda what sells me on the game. Like, you already deal with the RNG gods with loot and circle placement, getting sniped from a poltergeist a mile away, to me anyway, is just another RNG result. Or maybe that's how I compartmentalize it to keep from raging, I dunno.

I fixed the weird connection error I was having by the way. I simply stopped using Google's DNS servers and now it works just fine. I don't really know what DNS servers have to do with connecting to a game, but it might be worth looking into if you are still having that same issue.

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!
Pineapple and I were going duo last night, there were 20ish left.

I havent played that much and my adrenalin is pumping.
We see guys nearby and we ofcourse go prone and do sneaky stuff, thats until I missclick and fire a round into Pineapples back..
It went downhills from there.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

VikingSkull posted:

getting sniped from a poltergeist a mile away, to me anyway, is just another RNG result.

It's not, though, and I think it's not good to think about it in that way. You should be able to understand what events ultimately led to you getting killed.

Sometimes, there's nothing you can do. Circle closes such that you have to cross a bunch of open ground, you get shot.

In other cases, dying means that you did, in fact, do something wrong. You can't always know where other people will be, so you have to play as though there's always someone stalking you. Hand-waving deaths out in the woods as RNG doesn't help you die less often.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

This game is a lot less RNG than Arma 3 BR. In the mod, you can't choose when or where you get out of the planes, it just ejects you based on the order you joined the server. Also it's way less forgiving because the mod isn't so popular that you can be in another game within a minute.

Any time I die, I try to look at it like what can I do better next time. And not just like "herp derp shoot better." Usually it's something like don't just drive up to a set of buildings because they look closed. Maybe park a little further so I don't alert any possible campers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

This game is pretty awesome.

If anyone wants to do some duos or squads add Hayrick steam.

• Locked thread