Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Vitamin P posted:

Why do some players refuse to use their god drat cobras. The drat things win objective rounds, then we get credits, then we can buy more.

I honestly think the difference between a decent and a bad player in this is just the willingness to use consumables.

Yeah just using it to help you get through wave 6 and evacuation would give everyone enough credits to probably buy two supply packs. (on silver)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Vitamin P posted:

Why do some players refuse to use their god drat cobras. The drat things win objective rounds, then we get credits, then we can buy more.

I honestly think the difference between a decent and a bad player in this is just the willingness to use consumables.

I know that I am terrible about using consumables because in ME3 you could get by without them in Gold just fine and having them maxed meant the packs stopped giving them to you.

I've been trying to use rockets and first aid more proactively though.

Ambaire posted:

Yeah, using boosters makes them vanish.

Boo. The player cards look much less impressive in this game than they did in 3 so whatever I guess.

I should go back and get BOTB. All I needed were some lovely gun point challenges and solos and it's back compatible now.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Vitamin P posted:

Why do some players refuse to use their god drat cobras.

Because I already used them all up while dragging terribles through gold and then forgot to buy more before I queued back up.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

The damage output of nearly all the weapons and powers makes me wonder how they playtested, if at all. Did they give themselves nothing but X level weapons and only play bronze difficulty?

I'm convinced that this is exactly what happened, yeah.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

The addition of vote kicking in match was a terrible idea in Inquisition and it's a terrible idea here, I have no clue who the gently caress put it in but they're an idiot.

Hate to tell ya', but this was in ME3MP too. Nobody ever uses it seems, especially when you have three people ready in lobby and some rear end clown has been AFK for 5+ minutes.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tasoth posted:

Hate to tell ya', but this was in ME3MP too. Nobody ever uses it seems, especially when you have three people ready in lobby and some rear end clown has been AFK for 5+ minutes.

Doing my gold strike mission the other day, I had three people sitting in the lobby all trying to vote kick each other. Levels 14, 8, and 5. I was on something like Wave 4 before they finally got their poo poo together and joined into the match. So hey, at least someone is using it!

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

So, what exactly is the deal with skill points and class unlock level? I have a bunch of level 1 characters I haven't touched. Some have 6 skill points available, some have 10, and one has 15. Do you just get extra skill points for getting more cards for a class?

Also, anyone who has actually maxed out a character, how many skills can you max? Is it 4 like in ME3 or can you max all 5 skills?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Gangringo posted:

So, what exactly is the deal with skill points and class unlock level? I have a bunch of level 1 characters I haven't touched. Some have 6 skill points available, some have 10, and one has 15. Do you just get extra skill points for getting more cards for a class?

Also, anyone who has actually maxed out a character, how many skills can you max? Is it 4 like in ME3 or can you max all 5 skills?

Every second class card gives skill points. If you max out on class cards and level, you can get all but on skill at 6, and the last skill at 1.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And it makes the Ultra-rare classes extraordinarily hard to max out, since you're looking as something like 80 million credits to X Rank all the URs classes and weapons.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
http://i.imgur.com/eADHjGA.gifv

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tasoth posted:

Mass Effect 3 didn't have vote kicking IN GAME though, only in lobby.

Or did I seriously just never notice that and neither did any of my friends?

I will say that taking away the thing where the timer to auto start the round if 3 people were ready was also dumb.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Piell posted:

Every second class card gives skill points. If you max out on class cards and level, you can get all but on skill at 6, and the last skill at 1.
D'aw, and I thought I'd lucked into a bug when some of my level 1 characters had 20+ points. :(

Lightning Knight posted:

Mass Effect 3 didn't have vote kicking IN GAME though, only in lobby.

Or did I seriously just never notice that and neither did any of my friends?

I will say that taking away the thing where the timer to auto start the round if 3 people were ready was also dumb.
I imagine the devs probably didn't want to listen to griping about people being AFK in actual games or wrapping rubber bands around their control sticks. Do wish they'd made it a votekick instead though. People are more inclined to just smack a button to kick someone, than make the long journey to actually selecting a name themselves and hitting a button to help kick a timewaster.

Didn't ME3 have ingame votekicking briefly, but it got ripped out in a patch because of how hilarious everyone thought it was to kick people as the timer ran down on extraction? I vaguely remember people getting pissed about it.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

So the other day I entered some sort of soldier euphoria that made me invincible, invisible to enemies, but only able to dodge and shoot. Luckily I recorded it: https://youtu.be/C1ZZl7SrRcM

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I've managed to join at least one game where the host is presumably running a trainer where you have unlimited ammo, 0 cooldowns and are unkillable.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Reflecting Ascendant orbs back to their owner with the Asari Sentinel is pretty much the best part of this game

Also making Observers kill themselves

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

ZombyDog posted:

I've managed to join at least one game where the host is presumably running a trainer where you have unlimited ammo, 0 cooldowns and are unkillable.

This happened for me too, it was bewildering.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Anyone know if there's a cap for supplies?
I've been told that it isn't 255 anymore, and someone has upwards of 500

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

So I've only been opening basic packs, and i've gotten all the tier 1 cards. all the basic pack gives me now is supplies... I'm upset

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Syrinxx posted:

Reflecting Ascendant orbs back to their owner with the Asari Sentinel is pretty much the best part of this game

Also making Observers kill themselves

Wait... what?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Monowhatever posted:

So I've only been opening basic packs, and i've gotten all the tier 1 cards. all the basic pack gives me now is supplies... I'm upset

Why are you still buying basic packs when you're done with the commons? Move up to advanced packs.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

dazoner posted:

Wait... what?
See the second half of this clip (poor quality due to PS4 compression)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq2h_Le9x6c

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dazoner posted:

Wait... what?

You know those Asari in the outlaw faction that rush you with the shield? That's what the asari sentinel does.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Syrinxx posted:

See the second half of this clip (poor quality due to PS4 compression)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq2h_Le9x6c

It never even crossed my mind to try that

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Vitamin P posted:

I was struggling with a defuse objective yesterday because the entire rest of the team was running around outside shooting baddies, and then when we failed the mission, they started poo poo-talking in voice chat about "those guys keep running into that room where all the enemies are" and how I was "on voice asking for help, but there's a Fiend in there!" :bang:

Tasoth posted:

Also, not to give people too much credit, but the lobby controls are really weird. Sometimes it gets stuck on a certain player and won't let me select someone different.

gbmcb
Mar 1, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

Best thing about the Kineticist is her free Ascend ability. Getting to Pull/Throw with zero cooldown is a ton of fun.

Yeah, Kineticist is really fun. Using pull can grab environmental objects (like exploding canisters). Grab a couple mooks and a caniser and fling them against a wall...biotic/tech/fire combos.
Can also grab 2 mooks and fling them at another and get 3 kills, will take off a good chunk of armored ones (like anarchists/pariahs) or observer shields. Also fun to grab a couple and toss'em up in the air and watch them go sailing into orbit :)

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Lightning Knight posted:

I know that I am terrible about using consumables because in ME3 you could get by without them in Gold just fine and having them maxed meant the packs stopped giving them to you.

Ah I did not know that. It seems as though that is no longer the case though, or at least the storage capacity is high enough that it won't be a concern for a while, so hopefully when people realise that more folk will bust em out.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Vitamin P posted:

Ah I did not know that. It seems as though that is no longer the case though, or at least the storage capacity is high enough that it won't be a concern for a while, so hopefully when people realise that more folk will bust em out.

Yeah it's mostly habit, I pretty consistently sat at 255 of everything in ME3 because I just didn't need them outside of Plat games.

Do the ammo packs still give a damage bonus when you use them? Also is it just me or are Cobras flaky as gently caress on whether or not they're going to kill what you shoot them at. I miss the guaranteed nuclear missiles of death from ME3. :(

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah it's mostly habit, I pretty consistently sat at 255 of everything in ME3 because I just didn't need them outside of Plat games.

Do the ammo packs still give a damage bonus when you use them? Also is it just me or are Cobras flaky as gently caress on whether or not they're going to kill what you shoot them at. I miss the guaranteed nuclear missiles of death from ME3. :(

They aren't one hit kills on the minibosses above bronze. Also fiends sometimes just don't take damage from them because gently caress you.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Near as I can tell, instead of being an "everything in this radius loving dies, no questions asked", they've now been changed to do a set amount of damage. Which is about half a Fiend's health on Bronze :shepicide:

E:fb

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Astroniomix posted:

They aren't one hit kills on the minibosses above bronze. Also fiends sometimes just don't take damage from them because gently caress you.

It will one shot at Destroyer if you shoot it when it has its chest open

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Lightning Knight posted:

Cobras are no longer the localised nuke they were and definitely seem to take a bit of aiming this time but they still break the back of the bosses and clear out the trash around an objective.

If ammo packs give a damage boost I haven't noticed it but literally every ammo pack I've used has been to refill my sweet, sweet frag grenades. Chucking four of them is like a mini-Cobra thinking about it.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I feel like they really reduced the size of the Cobra's aoe and also gave it a falloff. I shot one at a pair of destroyers on silver last night. The one it landed closest to died, but the farther one survived it with about half of it's armor left. Will have to do some more experimentation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I unlocked the Krogan Gladiator, what's the play here? All primers and no detonator.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

precision posted:

I unlocked the Krogan Gladiator, what's the play here? All primers and no detonator.

Pretty much. You're a tanky Annihilation field for your team to combo off. Great in premade groups, not so great in pugs.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
The damage at low levels on bronze is still really pitiful. I've been playing as a Kroguard and ended up in a game with another krogan with incinerate. After setting one of those dumb robots on stilts on fire, I charged it, setting off a huge fireball explosion. It looked cool until the robot toppled over and got up with half its health that took three point blank katana shots to finally put down :v:

And I wish people would not just spend the game picking enemies off. It seems like there's always one Salarian lurking in the background breaking up rage headbutt chains with a viper shot from out of nowhere.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Are there any other games besides this and Mass Effect 3 that have a similar short match/wave-based coop thing tied with random box-opening stuff because every match I've tried to enter has kicked me to the main menu.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Pierson posted:

Are there any other games besides this and Mass Effect 3 that have a similar short match/wave-based coop thing tied with random box-opening stuff because every match I've tried to enter has kicked me to the main menu.

Well there's ME3....Oh.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Well it turns out the ME3 is actually still kicking so gently caress it, back to that until the biggest MEA problems are fixed.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Is there any gun in this game that does damage worth a poo poo or should I just keep playing biotics/melee forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Syrinxx posted:

Is there any gun in this game that does damage worth a poo poo or should I just keep playing biotics/melee forever

Talon, Vanquisher

• Locked thread