Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Is this a seriouspost, or are you just rehashing fallacious NIMBY arguments against public transit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Jan posted:

Is this a seriouspost, or are you just rehashing fallacious NIMBY arguments against public transit?
LRT is poo poo.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lmao

I'm all for any mass transit that impedes traffic

gently caress y'all

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

cowofwar posted:

LRT is poo poo.

You're right, we should all drive single passenger cars instead.

Also: not all metro lines have multiple tracks.

And making GBS threads on Bombardier is about as edgy as CI making GBS threads on Vancouverites.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LRTs aren't the answer for every situation but neither are subways or buses. And it depends what you want your transit to do: speed across long distances or provide local service. BRT can fit in a lot of places instead of LRT for a lot less money and with more breakdown flexibility from not being on rails but you generally have to run a ton of buses to match the capacity of trains.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lobok posted:

LRTs aren't the answer for every situation but neither are subways or buses. And it depends what you want your transit to do: speed across long distances or provide local service. BRT can fit in a lot of places instead of LRT for a lot less money and with more breakdown flexibility from not being on rails but you generally have to run a ton of buses to match the capacity of trains.

On the other hand, this isn't a huge disadvantage if there's rarely enough demand to fill a train to capacity, because you can have more frequencies without having a huge excess of capacity.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I like the idea of BRTs if they're designed along with bus route planning to allow for multiple routes to bypass highly congested areas. Hell, the fact that I live on a bus route that does this and soon will be within a 5 minute walk of several routes that do is part of the reason why I bought a house where I did.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

PT6A posted:

On the other hand, this isn't a huge disadvantage if there's rarely enough demand to fill a train to capacity, because you can have more frequencies without having a huge excess of capacity.

Hopefully it wouldn't be built in the first place if the demand didn't justify it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trams and LRT can't work here, it's different in all those places that they work effectively. This ain't europe.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

cowofwar posted:

Also a subway has is has two tracks so trains can route around a broken train albeit more slowly. When one of the Bombardier street cars shits the bed all the street cars behind it are also stuck.

Very few subways have the signaling infrastructure in place to permit bidirectional operation. There's no such thing as "rout[ing] around a broken train" in Toronto or any NYC subway line besides the L. There is no functional difference in this regard between LRT and subways.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

namaste faggots posted:

Lmao

I'm all for any mass transit that impedes traffic

gently caress y'all

stop trying to be a man of the people, you loving pharmacist.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
SkyTrain is better because it has really nice views and seeing trains drive around IN THE SKY is really cool.

I like trains.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

tagesschau posted:

Very few subways have the signaling infrastructure in place to permit bidirectional operation. There's no such thing as "rout[ing] around a broken train" in Toronto or any NYC subway line besides the L. There is no functional difference in this regard between LRT and subways.

Really? The Calgary LRT can handle that single-tracking around a broken train (if not efficiently), and it frequently has to because our trains are lovely.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cibc-ceo-outsourcing-india-1.4050248

Well CIBC is outsourcing again. I cant remember the last bank we had a major issue with getting rid of Canadian jobs if it was scotia or TD or RBC. Can anyone recommend me a major bank that pays their workers fairly, has decent customer service and rates, and ideally lets workers organize into a union?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Butcher posted:

I like trains.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Jan posted:

You're right, we should all drive single passenger cars instead.

Also: not all metro lines have multiple tracks.

And making GBS threads on Bombardier is about as edgy as CI making GBS threads on Vancouverites.

I am not bring clear.

Subways: good, expensive.
Buses: fine, cheap.
LRT: poo poo, expensive.

Also the Bombardier streetcar division is poo poo. They are years behind their deliveries on Mexican streetcars that break constantly and that have poorly machined parts that can't be assembled in Thunder Bay.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What about all the places that use trams or LRT effectively? They all have their roles. Metro is good for moving mass amounts of people through a dense urban area. Suburban trains are good for linking the core with the suburbs. LRT and Fast-Trams are good for where you need more speed and capacity than buses can provide but can't justify a metro. And within each category are practically infinite sub-categories. Rail based vehicles really exist on a spectrum (as do their fans!)

Is this a tram or suburban train? Got it's own right of way, tunnels, large stations, and an operating speed similar to some metro's

Is this a metro station or just an underground tram stop? Some call it a "pre-metro"

Here's another "fast-tram" project. Sometimes it's a typical tram running on the street, sometimes it's on it's own elevated track like an S-Bahn or something

I won't tolerate tram erasure, this is a rail based transit safe space and you need to respect how these vehicles self-identify.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I'm talking about half rear end Canadian LRT that doesn't get its own RoW and gets stuck in traffic jams.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

patonthebach posted:

stop trying to be a man of the people, you loving pharmacist.

oh poor fuckin bourgeouis scum can't drive his bmw 3 series into town fast enough

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is that Brussels? I swear I've been there...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is that Brussels? I swear I've been there...

Correct. Also no transport method is safe from idiots in luxury suv's.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Correct. Also no transport method is safe from idiots in luxury suv's.

Hahaha yup, I remember that station too.

Brussels has great transit overall though for real. I only didn't like the super old trams that were still on some of the routes.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

cowofwar posted:

I'm talking about half rear end Canadian LRT that doesn't get its own RoW and gets stuck in traffic jams.

are we building new LRT without private right of way? the 512 is extremely good, and i assume the eglinton crosstown will also be extremely good once it's done.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Baronjutter posted:

Trams and LRT can't work here, it's different in all those places that they work effectively. This ain't europe.

Ah, I see a member of the Hamilton city council is posting on SA. Terry, is that you?

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

cowofwar posted:

Like, do you mean trains having to stop in traffic at lights?? I want to say that surely no one would be that loving dumb (and hope dies as I do so).

Edmonton LRT, lights are set so when a train is coming, sucks to be cars, they all get red lights and the train is rollin through and got no brakes till the next station. Unless you are US passenger rail, how could someone think anything else is remotely a good idea? The whole point is they have all right of way.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Karatela posted:

Like, do you mean trains having to stop in traffic at lights?? I want to say that surely no one would be that loving dumb (and hope dies as I do so).

Calgary LRT does on the 7th ave section.

They started to dig a tunnel for it back in the 80s but it was never finished.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

SK government budget update #whatever: They also cut all subsidization to hearing evaluation and hearing aid purchase (save for low-income earners, such restraint).

I don't know if I have ever lived through a budget that was this ridiculous.

e. This apparently takes the cost from about $1000 to $5000 for the same set of cochlear implants. Lol at people deciding if they want to pay rent or hear.

tankfish
May 31, 2013

Stickarts posted:

SK government budget update #whatever: They also cut all subsidization to hearing evaluation and hearing aid purchase (save for low-income earners, such restraint).

I don't know if I have ever lived through a budget that was this ridiculous.

e. This apparently takes the cost from about $1000 to $5000 for the same set of cochlear implants. Lol at people deciding if they want to pay rent or hear.

Hearing is a luxury and those people need to stick to the basics.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

tankfish posted:

Hearing is a luxury and those people need to stick to the basics.

Lou Ferrigno is hearing impaired and he still went on to be a star of TV and film so boot up those straps motherfuckers

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Brussels has good rail service.

That said, the Surrey LRT is garbage because it is a legacy project that will do more harm than good. They're better off just building SkyTrain but nope cannot have that because optics.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I'm imagining a job creation program where the entire province of Saskatchewan is cast in a remake of The Hulk, except it never gets filmed because the Sask Party cut all film tax credits like five years ago.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

PT6A posted:

Really? The Calgary LRT can handle that single-tracking around a broken train (if not efficiently), and it frequently has to because our trains are lovely.

The Toronto subway is 25 years older than the C-Train, and the NYC subway has been operating since before Alberta was a province.

cowofwar posted:

Subways: good, expensive.
Buses: fine, cheap.
LRT: poo poo, expensive.

You don't get to ignore operating costs. Replacing LRT with buses triples your labor costs instantly, and it costs more to maintain the vehicles. And no, LRT is not anywhere near as expensive as the subway.

cowofwar posted:

Where is LRT without its own right-of-way being proposed?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
Surrey is building LRT without a proper right of way.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://thetyee.ca/Mediacheck/2017/04/01/Inside-Ugly-Unravelling-Sun-Province/

quote:

If the latest cuts do happen, say insiders, the sparse newsroom will be populated mainly by grey-haired veterans with few around them to mentor. There will be fewer people under 35, and fewer people of colour. Of those left, a larger percentage will be what one source called “the unassignables” — writers who, because they have columns, or by some other arrangement, cannot be ordered by an editor to cover a news story.

Tossing overboard its younger, more diverse journalists will only hasten the slide of quality at PNG’s papers, observed one ex-staffer. “The industry has shifted so dramatically and the newsrooms have not kept up,” the source said. “They are mired in the past, and management has been ill-prepared and unwilling to adapt. There have been multiple waves of newsroom restructuring and never at the core of these conversations has there been any talk about content. That has created a chasm between the newsroom and its readers.”

In the days before the layoffs, sympathizers from media outfits, labour organizations and small businesses sent stacks of pizza, donuts, bagels, beer and premium bottles of liquor to show support.

Globe and Mail columnist Gary Mason, once a Sun reporter and editor mourned the losses.

https://twitter.com/garymasonglobe/status/845305614993506304

“This is shocking!” tweeted veteran Sun reporter Kim Bolan, referring to the elimination of the librarians who “do research for ALL our investigative journalism.”

:jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag:

holy gently caress you guys it's like jesus finally came back and some guy just ran him over in an f350 doing 90 in a 30 zone

now we'll never have a functioning democracy

gently caress postmedia and gently caress all these guys

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

OSI bean dip posted:

Surrey is building LRT without a proper right of way.

What does proper right of way mean here? The Surrey LRT is definitely separated from traffic in its own centre lane. There is the potential for it to have to stop at intersections, but I have to assume it'll have some intersection priority. The only way that Surrey LRT is going to get stuck in a traffic jam is if someone is literally blocking the middle of an intersection.

This isn't as perfect as Skytrain where nothing stops it from moving at all (other than another Skytrain ahead), but it isn't going to be like Toronto where its mixed with traffic and constantly impeded.

cowofwar posted:

LRT has all the downsides of skytrain without the upsides of skytrain. It's worse than a bus and it's basically the TTC streetcars which are poo poo compared to TTC subway.

Skytrain and LRT and different tools for different jobs.

With higher costs, less accessible stations but fast speeds, Skytrain is well suited to inter city transportation. If less stops and more intra city transportation is required then LRT, which is cheaper and easier to create stops with is a better fit. LRT is the best fit for the Newton and Guildford lines in Surrey because it's that intra city line and Surrey wants a lot of stops. In my opinion Skytrain is the best idea for a line out to Langley because it's inter city and the longer distance trip will benefit from higher speeds. There's less need for as many stops.

It seems likely to me that the only reason LRT is being proposed for the Fraser line to Langley is simply because doing both LRT and Skytrain is not affordable, and that Surrey wants LRT for its downtown core more than BRT enough that it's been able to put its priorities first. I'm actually pretty surprised that the BC Liberals haven't stepped in and demanded Skytrain for Langley. Maybe that'll happen if they win the next election and we get closer to the point where this stuff is actually going to get built.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

namaste faggots posted:

https://thetyee.ca/Mediacheck/2017/04/01/Inside-Ugly-Unravelling-Sun-Province/

:jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag:

holy gently caress you guys it's like jesus finally came back and some guy just ran him over in an f350 doing 90 in a 30 zone

now we'll never have a functioning democracy

gently caress postmedia and gently caress all these guys

They should just outsource half their articles to the canadian taxpayers federation, CFIB or the manning institute.

Oh wait...

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Femtosecond posted:

What does proper right of way mean here? The Surrey LRT is definitely separated from traffic in its own centre lane. There is the potential for it to have to stop at intersections, but I have to assume it'll have some intersection priority. The only way that Surrey LRT is going to get stuck in a traffic jam is if someone is literally blocking the middle of an intersection.

This isn't as perfect as Skytrain where nothing stops it from moving at all (other than another Skytrain ahead), but it isn't going to be like Toronto where its mixed with traffic and constantly impeded.

Skytrain and LRT and different tools for different jobs.

With higher costs, less accessible stations but fast speeds, Skytrain is well suited to inter city transportation. If less stops and more intra city transportation is required then LRT, which is cheaper and easier to create stops with is a better fit. LRT is the best fit for the Newton and Guildford lines in Surrey because it's that intra city line and Surrey wants a lot of stops. In my opinion Skytrain is the best idea for a line out to Langley because it's inter city and the longer distance trip will benefit from higher speeds. There's less need for as many stops.

It seems likely to me that the only reason LRT is being proposed for the Fraser line to Langley is simply because doing both LRT and Skytrain is not affordable, and that Surrey wants LRT for its downtown core more than BRT enough that it's been able to put its priorities first. I'm actually pretty surprised that the BC Liberals haven't stepped in and demanded Skytrain for Langley. Maybe that'll happen if they win the next election and we get closer to the point where this stuff is actually going to get built.

I cannot wait until some dipshit from Cloverdale in their F-150 drives on to this envisioned RoW:

If this were being built like Calgary or Edmonton's systems, I'd be all for it but so far they seem to want to adopt a low-floor garbage system akin to Seattle or Brussels.

I promise you in the first week there will be an incident.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

OSI bean dip posted:

If this were being built like Calgary or Edmonton's systems, I'd be all for it but so far they seem to want to adopt a low-floor garbage system akin to Seattle or Brussels.

I promise you in the first week there will be an incident.

How dare someone in a wheelchair or motor scooter be able to get onto the public transit system!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mad Hamish posted:

How dare someone in a wheelchair or motor scooter be able to get onto the public transit system!

You're gonna love it the first time you encounter a ramp.