Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ok I promise I didn't just make this up on the spot:

glass type

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Vorpal Cat posted:

I never understood why dark was special in the first place. I mean what part of a punch of underhanded evil monsters that like to beat up and steal from people screams special type to the designers? I mean it made by a freaking special mover for 2 gens, which is just silly.

edit: Plus there main reason for existing, balance wise, is ruining the day of psychic types, who are mostly know for having good special defense not regular defense.

Eevee evolves into it so it has to be special

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Tunicate posted:

Water should be divided into fresh and salt

Fish and Treyf

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The thing about fairy is that enough previous pokemon fit that thematic mold for it to actually make sense.
Which is also the case with Sound if it ever became an actual type.

Now im trying to think of other common themes that can turn into new types.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

LAY-ZX posted:

There's Exploud line, Noivern line, Chatot, Meloetta...and that's about it. You could make an argument for Vibrava/Flygon as well but that line has enough typing issues as-is.

Zore posted:

Kricketune line, Jigglypuff line, Seismetoad line, Lapras, Chimeco line, Gigalith line, Crobat line...

Seriously?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Theoretically, talking about Sound-type, and trying to make sure it has some level of competitive balance, here would be my choices:

Sound-Type
Super Effective Against: Steel (tuning forks), Ice (shattering glass), Water
Not Very Effective Against: Ground, Rock, Flying
Weak To: Ground, Rock, Flying
Resists: Steel (tuning forks), Ice (again, shattering glass), Water, Electric (kuwabara kuwabara)

Sound is a primarily defensive type, especially in specially-defensive ways, resisting both halves of BoltBeam, as well as Water, another very useful attacking type. It makes for a decent offensive type, hitting many of the same types as Fighting. However, it is weak to Ground, Rock, and Flying. Ground and Rock because they block sound well, and Flying because birdsong. Throat Chop is also changed to be super-effective against Sound-Types (a la Freeze Dry).

There are currently no physical Sound-Type moves, so I propose the following as well:

1. Change Wake-Up Slap and Doubleslap to Sound-Type moves. (As well as Belly Drum, just for shits and giggles.)
2. Sonic Strike (Sound-Type Quick Attack)
3. Browbeat (Sound-Type Aerial Ace)

The following Pokemon have their types changed:
1. The Pidgey family is now Sound/Flying, because Pidgeot needs SOME way to stand out.
2. The Jigglypuff family is now Sound/Fairy.
3. Chatot is now also Sound/Flying, because duh.
4. Audino and Exploud are now Sound-type.
5. Kriketune is Bug/Sound
6. Seismetoad is Water/Sound
7. Meloetta changes between Sound/Psychic and Sound/Fighting.
8. Noivern is now Sound/Dragon.

Am I forgetting anything?

Edit And 'sound' has stopped looking like a word.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 2, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dexie posted:

The counterpart to that is 'why are Ghosts physical'?

No, I think that's literally the justification for Dark being Special in gens 2/3.

"Bugs and Ghosts are already physical so now Psychic needs a hard special counter too"

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

PMush Perfect posted:

it is weak to Flying because birdsong.

I was right with you until this, Kuwabara was a cool touch, but this is your least justified. Half of all flying types aren't even birds, if anything it should be super-effective against flying and steel and resisted by ground, rock and water because Sound travels quickly through air and resonates in metal, but is slowed and suppressed by solids and liquids.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Justice Sloth posted:

I was right with you until this, Kuwabara was a cool touch, but this is your least justified. Half of all flying types aren't even birds, if anything it should be super-effective against flying and steel and resisted by ground, rock and water because Sound travels quickly through air and resonates in metal, but is slowed and suppressed by solids and liquids.
Sound travels 5 times quicker in water than air.

Personally I'd make it resistant to Ghost because of the numerous applications of song/music to ward off or drive out evil spirits.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
what did Ice type did to you

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Azurite art is legit good and they seem to have some good ideas but suffers from there apparently not having been anyone to stop them from throwing in all of their ideas at once. For all the problems Uranium has, it at least seems to mostly build around that one core gimmick/idea of nuclear and then it's just a modifier type. What Azurite should do is something along the lines of... okay, Sound type, let's say they can get that balanced, keep that. Trash Mystic, Cosmic and Light, because all the stuff those do are already 99% covered by other types. Since Crystal type is already designed to just be enhanced forms of fully evolved Pokémon, make it into a thing that the game has instead of mega evolutions. There, now build the Pokédex and gameplay around those core concepts, which by all means can include new regional forms and some alternate evolutions of already existing Pokémon.

With all the poo poo they want to add, balancing it is going to be terrible, and it'll be stuck in development for an eternity, guaranteed.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

PMush Perfect posted:

Teenage me playing Sapphire thought Absol was so cool, but since its SpAtk was garbage, I just couldn't get one to work.
I just gave Gen III Absol moves like Shadow Ball and Return and swept through the rest of the game

Then there's the terror that is Slaking's Silk Scarf Hyper Beam

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

what did Ice type did to you
My favorite Pokemon is Garchomp. :colbert:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

KennyMan666 posted:

Azurite art is legit good and they seem to have some good ideas but suffers from there apparently not having been anyone to stop them from throwing in all of their ideas at once. For all the problems Uranium has, it at least seems to mostly build around that one core gimmick/idea of nuclear and then it's just a modifier type. What Azurite should do is something along the lines of... okay, Sound type, let's say they can get that balanced, keep that. Trash Mystic, Cosmic and Light, because all the stuff those do are already 99% covered by other types. Since Crystal type is already designed to just be enhanced forms of fully evolved Pokémon, make it into a thing that the game has instead of mega evolutions. There, now build the Pokédex and gameplay around those core concepts, which by all means can include new regional forms and some alternate evolutions of already existing Pokémon.

With all the poo poo they want to add, balancing it is going to be terrible, and it'll be stuck in development for an eternity, guaranteed.

Ehhh
The art is hit and loads of misses.
The new pokemon in particular.

Also the requisite substitute mon every fangame needs to have for some reason.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Asehujiko posted:

Sound travels 5 times quicker in water than air.

oh ok my bad, but they're both quicker by magnitudes than like solid rock or the ground right?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

won't lie, I think I'm kinda interested in Azurite. It's dumb, admittedly, and Mystic type is such a load of garbage but its dumbness is kinda delightful.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Justice Sloth posted:

oh ok my bad, but they're both quicker by magnitudes than like solid rock or the ground right?

No, the other way around.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, they go through the process of adding around 5 new types but the list of pokemon they each apply to is like 10 at max. what's even the point. dark, steel and fairy were added since they were pretty broad things that could be easily applied to existing pokemon or new ones, but unless they go through the hassle of just making a bunch of pokemon sound-related in the future then there's really no reason to have even added it into the official games, you know?

tbf when dark was created there were all of what, 5 pokemon that had it? maybe not even that many. steel also had a pretty anemic list iirc

they did it way better when fairy was created, cause after 15 years they actually had learned something about development

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Man, this was the most annoying boss in Kirby's Dream Land

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

ok I promise I didn't just make this up on the spot:

glass type

Please do not steal 15-yr-old me's Original Ideas(tm), thx

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

mandatory lesbian posted:

they did it way better when fairy was created, cause after 15 years they actually had learned something about development

Looks at all 4 of the mega evolutions available before the tiny post game

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

HEY, i said they learned something not everything!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

FoolyCharged posted:

The only problem here is that there are any mega evolutions at all.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

*stage whisper* Mega Evolution was a mistake and the only good part was that it gave shiny Gengar and Garchomp not-bland palettes.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

All this talk of new typings, and no one mentions my favorites, Blood and Greasy?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Tired Moritz posted:

won't lie, I think I'm kinda interested in Azurite. It's dumb, admittedly, and Mystic type is such a load of garbage but its dumbness is kinda delightful.

It's adorable, but it's coloration makes me think Dragon, not Flying.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It looks like someone just took an Altaria and reshaped the body to make it into an Eevee instead.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I hate the description. It's completely not how pokemon is written and just stupid

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I hate the description. It's completely not how pokemon is written and just stupid

the description seems pretty similar to how they do previews on the real site tho???

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
"info on pokemon, new abilities or moves, teaser about something" is like, beat for beat how gamefreak does it

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I must be out of the loop. Cause this sounds written by an 8 year old.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

Actually there are 8 stones you can get before the postgame, 9 if you include the event Torchic *nerd snort*

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Like Clockwork posted:

*stage whisper* Mega Evolution was a mistake and the only good part was that it gave shiny Gengar and Garchomp not-bland palettes.

Z-Moves are just so much of a better mechanic in basically every way that it's embarrassing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's telling that the 2017 VGC rules straight-up ban mega evolution.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

PMush Perfect posted:

I don't like Mega Evolution either, but this in particular is I think just meant to encourage using the new stuff instead.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PMush Perfect posted:

AlphaKretin posted:

I don't like Mega Evolution either, but this in particular is I think just meant to encourage using the new stuff instead.

See also: the requirement for the clover (the black cross shape next to the markings on a specific 'mon), meaning it A. has to be hatched or caught in Gen VII and B. eliminates all Gen VI tutor moves. So that pixilate Sylveon you have with Hyper Voice? Yeah, can't use that, sorry.

Not to mention Alolan dex only.

(Legendaries such as UBs and Tapus should have been banned from the get go)

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

LAY-ZX posted:

B-but all of the fossil Pokemon are literally made of stone

It never seemed like they were all stony to me? Aerodactyl's just a pterodactyl, its only the Mega who's particularly stony, Omanyte, Kabuto, and Anorith all are more buggy exoskeletons, Lileep's just a big round anemone, Archen just looks like a bird, and Amaura just looks like one of those long-necked dinosaurs. The only ones that are particularly 'rocky' to me are Shieldon/Bastiodon and Tirtouga, with a bit of a gray area for how Tyrunt and Cranidos are sorta craggy but not really any moreso than, say, Nidoking or Granbull. I always saw the rock type as just, since fossils come from rocks, but the pokemon themselves are just genetic recreations who don't have a reason to be composed of rock.

There's a lot more Pokemon I could see an Ancient/Relic type applying to as well. Baltoy, Dialga, Golett, Yamask, Relicanth, the golems, Mamoswine, maybe Yanmega? does it really lose anything being Bug/Ancient and discarding Flying. Moves are more limited, I can only think of Ancient Power and, appropriately, Roar of Time.

Also yeah Mega Evolutions are silly and IMO they should think about turning most of them into straight-up evolutions. Maybe they're an okay gimmick to make starter pokemon even more of a thing, but it's clear they're not going to stick with the concept and over half of them apply to mediocre 2-stage Pokemon.

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 2, 2017

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The fossil pokemon are all rock-type because fossils are literally rocks and they are made from fossils.

I imagine the actual prehistoric pokemon wouldn't have been rock-type, if pokemon natural history works that way.

Ancient-type sounds kind of cool but how would it relate to other types? I don't feel like it works as an actual elemental type, it's just a theme some pokemon have.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tenebrais posted:

The fossil pokemon are all rock-type because fossils are literally rocks and they are made from fossils.

I imagine the actual prehistoric pokemon wouldn't have been rock-type, if pokemon natural history works that way.

Ancient-type sounds kind of cool but how would it relate to other types? I don't feel like it works as an actual elemental type, it's just a theme some pokemon have.

Which loops back into sound! Go figure, it's a theme, not an element.

But yeah, the new types added were pretty much for balance purposes. Though I don't really see what Steel was trying to balance apart from "pure defensive type".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

But yeah, the new types added were pretty much for balance purposes. Though I don't really see what Steel was trying to balance apart from "pure defensive type".

Steel did a lot of things:

1) Psychic was so utterly dominant in Gen 1 that it needed a second check beyond Dark
2) Now that Dragon was a real type with actual attacks and more than a single line, something had to resist it
3) Normal was actually a pretty badass attack type with good neutral coverage and great access, and having another resist helped keep it in check
4) Fire was pretty sad: none of the types it beat were all that good while it got murdered by several really good types, so it needed something
5) gently caress Bug, Grass, Ice, and Poison just because

• Locked thread