Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tehan posted:

Put like that, I'm definitely supporting them remaining in the ambush position.

One option is to send them to La Dand. Since Bac scouted part of the way there, and met no resistance, it might be worth it. However, it's a risky proposal that gives up a very good defensive spot, and enemy reinforcements may be on the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

I dont see it worthwhile, tbh. If we win the cauldron, the entire front can advance, and if they break out, we'll need everyone we can get.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Loel posted:

I dont see it worthwhile, tbh. If we win the cauldron, the entire front can advance, and if they break out, we'll need everyone we can get.

I actually think counterattacking in the cauldron (if we win) would be a dire mistake. It's a really obvious move, and they'll have a shitton of ammo to give the forest a second (third?) round of hellfire while we advance.

That having been said, the advance towards La Dand is merely a suggestion. I'm trying to think of all our options here.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Kill them in the cauldron, reassess tomorrow. There's the immediate threat to be contained, but also the fact that if we can hold them at the fords while we gently caress up their backfield via the southern approach, that's a pretty good result for us.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Excuse me, there wouldn't happen to be any trains in this LP, would there?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

lenoon posted:

I think the central defence strategy is a good move on either breakout contingency. I know there's a few hours until I pick up more ammo for indirect fire, but relocating to the indicated position would let me direct fire on any potential move south or west, provided that there's some form of spotting.

Tehan posted:

I've discussed the potential uses of the artillery with ARF. Until dawn, it can direct fire only.

Northern Defence:

The first scenario for an Effyaders breakout. The enemy advances (as they seem to be currently doing) and manages to break through the 23rd, leaving my division's guns vulnerable. Considering there is up to a division strength already in Effyaders and possibly more reinforcements coming, this is possible no matter how bravely the 23rd fight. In this scenario, I would very much like the artillery on hand to pour in additional fire from the flank.

Also keep in mind with how badly our glorious rogue general has savaged the enemy's communications, it is possible that they will continue heading west even if they'd try to order otherwise now that they know we have a line of defence there.

Here's my proposed artillery movement.

If the Germans intend to attack through Effyaders during the night, the speed of artillery redeployment is more important than the absolute number of guns. This movement takes 4 turns to begin shooting, and allows at least 5 (6 maybe) chits to fire into Effyaders Wood.

The Germans seemed to have wisened up and are using rifle fire instead of charges, at least in the north. The one brigade we have sited is too far north for this deployment to hit. However, we do know that there are at least two German brigades in Effyaders, and that one could be appraoching from a more southern position.

In any case, our goal is to contain the German advance. I assume we are trying to panick them into deploying south, but there's no telling what the communications disruptions will do to the Germans

Heavy Battery

On the last turn, no Germans were spotted in Effyaders Wood. The assumption I am making for this plans is that the German brigade had stopped to engage our picket line, and then stopped moving, or retreated.

With that in mind, I propose that we Order indirect fire onto these positions, absent of requests for supporting fire.

Because we did not spot Germans in Effyaders Woods, they are either retreated or, halted.

If Germans have retreated, or trying to retreat then there's nothing we can do anyways, but we might as well spend the ammunition.

If they are still in the same positions, they will have to change orders, while their telegraph lines are cut, at night. If they fail to change orders, an ordered artillery strike should hit them..

The Near Future

I would consider it unlikely that the Germans will attempt to press their attack on Effyaders. I don't think they have organization to do it, and the fact that their attack halted to begin with indicates they were hesitating to advance.

We should be careful about our position in the South. It's overextended and indefensible.

The Germans are going to need to reorganize for the next few turns, and they may lose some chits to garbled communications, but I don't expect major attack. We should reconsolidate our positions. And set up another mutually supporting defense.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 1, 2017

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I agree, but you're firing on where they are, not where they will be - turn one fire should absolutely be there in case win the initiative, but moved towards the front of the line in case we don't.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

lenoon posted:

I agree, but you're firing on where they are, not where they will be - turn one fire should absolutely be there in case win the initiative, but moved towards the front of the line in case we don't.

lenoon, for the umpteenth time, fire happens after movement, regardless of initiative.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

I was under the impression that artillery in the Vallee couldn't direct fire out of it. Either we want all our artillery able to direct fire into the forest, or we want them all out of possible line of sight in the Vallee.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Can we get some sort of rotation for either the 25th (conditional based maybe) or my artillery down to defend the south? I'm not having my guys be a pathetic speed bump once they reach 2 fatigue and zero fire support.
One of these has to happen by dawn or they're going to La Dand to at least get some glory in before dying.

Edit: might I add that they are currently in range of supporting fire from A poo poo Load Of Enemy Guns?

My rough estimation is they will do 10-20% damage to a single German infantry brigade before dying.

During the day, 0-10%

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 1, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Alternative: let the 25th pick up the men and send me to La Dand.

We can't do that because I've got to command the bloody artillery

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The theory is that the enemy is all in in the north. I'm not 100% sure what your role is now, acting as a bridgehead across the river waiting for a new offensive? Maybe?

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Eighth Division Artillery

Immediately begin executing the following fire plan. If there is a request for supporting fire from the Infantry in front, prioritize the Supporting Fire. Support in the manner which will be most effective, ammunition is no consideration. Use it or lose it.

Ordered Fire
Yellow Aura - Eighteen Pounder
Blue Aura - Sixty Pounder

3 Turns on the following pattern:

2 Turns on the following pattern:

3 Turns on the following pattern:

3 Turns walking fire between these two points:

1 Turn on the following pattern:

pre:
Standing Orders

Override Ordered Fire to support friendly brigades?
Yes

Minimum number of fire missions remaining to use Supporting Fire

Break off automatically when enemy companies are Spotted within
Stay Where You Are
Fight Where You Are
Die Where You Are

When multiple requests for support are received, favour requests from
Nearest brigade

When two brigades issue requests for support
Support one brigade with all guns 

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

sullat posted:

The theory is that the enemy is all in in the north. I'm not 100% sure what your role is now, acting as a bridgehead across the river waiting for a new offensive? Maybe?

My infantry either need to be supporting a current brigade with additional rifle fire, providing spotting targets for artillery, or night raiding. Then resting at dawn.

I am happy to move elements of my division to do any of these but I need some direction from corps command and all 3 of these need to be supported by 8th division.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

AbortRetryFail posted:

My infantry either need to be supporting a current brigade with additional rifle fire, providing spotting targets for artillery, or night raiding. Then resting at dawn.

I am happy to move elements of my division to do any of these but I need some direction from corps command and all 3 of these need to be supported by 8th division.

Im inclined to do the second, although Im unsure what arty we would have to task for it.

I dont think we need to move you that far though, you are probably in the safest spot on the map :v:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

lenoon posted:

They're either there or not. The Germans seemed to have halted completely after contacting our infantry. I'm assuming this means they will need to successfully issue a change of orders before they can move again.

With their communications all hosed up, they could easily fail and remain in the same positions. We blast them with indirect fire in that case.

The alternative is to randomly blast around the forest. In that case, we'll probably kill like 1 or 2 chits, so who cares? It's a minor risk for a possible high reward.

Tehan posted:

I was under the impression that artillery in the Vallee couldn't direct fire out of it. Either we want all our artillery able to direct fire into the forest, or we want them all out of possible line of sight in the Vallee.

That order gets 5/6 guns able to direct fire, in 4 turns.

My view is that if the Germans actually start attacking, we need those guns re-oriented as fast as possible. That's the best we can do to have fire support in 4 turns.

In 5 turns, we can have 8 guns capable of firing... But that one turn can make a lot of difference.

Reminding everybody again that this is a game where the average engagement finishes in 3/4 turns.

AbortRetryFail posted:

I don't really know what the plan for your brigade is. Wasn't it just a joke?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

A feint, more so. We run across, kill the engineer, and entrench. Now that we've done that, turns out the south is mostly empty and his unit is close to breaking.

edit: reading the chatroom.

Lol, wow. Mydad is thinking that the German division was planning to move to the forest under cover, rest at night, and then move out fresh. The forest would give them concealment, and we would have been 'expecting' a center attack cuz they did arty there. But we bet they would be in the forest :D

I can't wait to read their thread, they must be getting so frustrated :D

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 2, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Still got a month before the king comes to visit, conditions on the front could change dramatically.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Moving up was to get my guys out of the obvious artillery target of the J trench and at least be an unwelcome surprise if the Germans send anything down south. Since the Germans know that we've gotten into their backfield, it's an obvious step that they'll send *something* down to try and close the barn door in the south (instead of further reinforcing Effyaders) to prevent more mischief. Anything that we can divert from the north is a win, since it weakens their main push.

Right now we need the other three infantry brigades concentrated on holding the cauldron closed around Effyaders Forest while the artillery does its work. In terms of infantry chits, I'm about equal with a German brigade's worth (12 chits) so I'm not too worried of holding on for a while if I'm bunkered down in trenches. Artillery support will be the deciding factor in terms of whether I defeat vs delay an enemy attack.

I doubt the 7th Division artillery will really be the deciding factor tonight - they've only got direct fire, and we've got two infantry divisions brigades plus a heavy artillery unit already in position to hammer the Germans if they move up in the night. If ARF moves the artillery south it would be available to support either me or the brigade in Bois de Blob in the morning, as well as be able to support directed missions into Effyaders Forest.

edit - I type gud

Terrifying Effigies fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 2, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Currently thinking we should hold the South for the night, and a few turns before dawn have you move back and have a day's rest digging trenches, and get the 25th to cover the Southern approach. I'm waiting for Tehan to come on so we can sort it out.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
We can switch positions in the morning. Need full strength brigades to keep the cauldron closed.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So my current thoughts is to have my northern engineer continue trench building
My southern engineer finish the job and then wire up the southern road for a just in case thing
my current engineer on the field fall back and demolish R1 and then wire up R2 when new wire becomes available
And the two fresh engineers start wiring up the northern half of the map

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
One suggestion to Curly: Have one of your lighter guns hitting assumed positions of other enemy brigades, at least during the early turns. Being shelled ought to reduce their chances to change orders.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Brigadier General T. Effigies, 20th Bde, 7th Div

Fatigue tokens: 1, will gain 2nd token at 0800

*******************************************************************************************

ORDERS FOR 20TH INFANTRY BRIGADE

Continue with previous orders.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Would you like a retreat order 1-2 turns before dawn to avoid getting spotted in daylight and have to fire a bullet, fatiguing you again? Or do you feel you are going to be safe enough to retreat move at 0800?

I'm fine with both of these.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Why retreat? :psyduck:

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

my dad posted:

Why retreat? :psyduck:

To avoid getting spotted in daylight and have to fire a bullet, fatiguing them again.

As I said earlier they are going forward or back. I'm not having them stay there at dawn. Loel decided for them to have a day off digging trenches.

PS: I'm adjusting the artillery orders to assist the 25th covering the escape out of the forest South. This should give 25th some free men to keep eyes on the South.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Why do we keep digging trenches we never stick around to use. :sigh:

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

my dad posted:

We used them, it's just the enemy didn't show up.

It still had a use though. When the enemy finds it it'll confirm their fears we crossed the ford and there's at least 1 brigade behind their lines.

Actually, from their perspective there would need to be 2 infantry brigades behind their lines (discounting a lunatic general) if the trench just over the ford is found.

even if we left immediately at night to cross over the ford and dig the trench on the east of the german bridge, it would take most of the night to do. But someone out there is still cutting their back line wires.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 2, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

Because I am not psychic.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Infantry Engineer 2: Retreat to Effyaders and demolish the northern bridge. Once that is done wait for more wire and then set up wire across the bridge on the Effyaders side of the river.

Infantry Engineer 3: Once you hit the map then set up the two northern pieces of wire within the Vallee

Infantry Engineer 4: Set up the east most piece of wire as indicated in the Vallee before setting up wire just outside the Vallee on the road heading directly into Effyaders.

Mounted Engineer 1: Continue work on trenches working northwards

Mounted Engineer 2: Once your current work is finished go and set up a wire that blocks of both roads as indicated on the map.

Emergency orders: If spotted pull back and start building trenches in the center of the farms running down south.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

:siren: Lenoon

Since the 20th won't be staying in the morning as they will be ineffective your orders have changed to drop direct fire on anything coming out of effyaders forest Southwards.

^ click to see new image / order post

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 2, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I've left some messages for Tehan regarding the artillery deployment but I haven't seen him online all day, but this should match up with a plan he drafted earlier for having the artillery in a central location.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I literally just woke up. Couldn't have scheduled that worse if I tried :v:

I'll hammer out some orders for the 25th to move forward to cover the southern fords in a few minutes.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
We should try to keep the enemy division contained in the forest. Don't think we should move the 25th until they're destroyed. The brigade across the river can be a very sleepy tripwire no matter how fatigued they are.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
A few chits from your company can serve as a tripwire a lot cheaper than an entire brigade.

New orders: Your brigade will now be solely responsible for covering the majority of the crossing points for the river. Have fun with that.

The majority of your force is to move east towards the northeastern corner of Bois de Blob and deploy in a defensive line. The majority of your force should still be focused on the southern edge of Effyaders, but deploy men south so that enemies cannot cross the river unobserved. It is not expected that they would be able to repulse an attack, merely report on it. I've sketched out one possible formation below:

But feel free to use any that perform the same function. (ignore the blue circle)

I would recommend you avoid existing trenches that are known to the enemy where possible.

(another upside of this deployment is that you won't be blocked from LoS to Effyaders by the 7th div artillery deployment just above the northwest corner of Bois de Blob)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The curse of the half-rear end is strong in this game.

90 minutes left. Does anyone need emergency orders?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I just checked roll20.

Crazycryodude, last I checked, only Trin was allowed to carry messages between teams/threads. Have you been given permission by Trin to do this?

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

There are only 90 minutes left???

Uhh yes, in that case Artillery, 7th division has no orders posted right now.

I can't do it from my phone.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Reading you orders...

You want to move the artillery forward in the middle of the night while the enemy is attacking, into a position already held by another brigade? I mean, I'll make the orders, but, uh...

• Locked thread