Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

hogmartin posted:

There was one recruit in my division who tried it with his towel in the showers. Pretty half-assed attempt, but it got him out of the Navy, which I guess was his goal so good job I guess.

The ET2 quartermaster I spent a lifetime bullshitting with on fathometer watch did a much more thorough job with his M9 on belowdecks watch, RIP Johnny :(

Belowdecks carries a weapon now? gently caress sake. All I ever had to worry about was that dumb belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

ded posted:

Belowdecks carries a weapon now? gently caress sake. All I ever had to worry about was that dumb belt.

Dunno about now, this was 2006. Topside, pier rover, and belowdecks all had M9s with a shotgun for the pier rover.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Hey hey everyone! Three months later and I just graduated OCS! Next stop Pensacola Florida for aviation training! I wanted to thank everyone here again for all the advice they gave me for making it through the program. My next goal is to be a competent JO who doesn't bumble through everything or screw things up badly for the people I might end up in charge of.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh I have full faith you will be, at least for a while. But learn from those missteps and you'll be cool. Also, congrats.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
The only way to go wrong at this point is by picking P-3s.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jimmy4400nav posted:

My next goal is to be a competent JO who doesn't bumble through everything or screw things up badly for the people I might end up in charge of.

Lmao good luck bud. All butterbars gently caress poo poo up, just try to not gently caress it up too bad. Your saving grace is being an aviator, you won't have to deal with enlisted for a while.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Hey hey everyone! Three months later and I just graduated OCS! Next stop Pensacola Florida for aviation training! I wanted to thank everyone here again for all the advice they gave me for making it through the program. My next goal is to be a competent JO who doesn't bumble through everything or screw things up badly for the people I might end up in charge of.

Congrats. How lovely was Newport in the winter?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Congrats. How lovely was Newport in the winter?

Pretty goddamn cold, and somehow my duty section always seemed to be on deck the days we had snowstorms roll in so we had to shovel. One day we had about 10 foot visibility with sidways blowing snow forcing us to make a long human chain from Nimitz to Ney to get chow.

And the crazy thing, apparently this was a mild winter! I can't wait to get to Florida thats for sure.

orange juche posted:

Lmao good luck bud. All butterbars gently caress poo poo up, just try to not gently caress it up too bad. Your saving grace is being an aviator, you won't have to deal with enlisted for a while.

Thronde posted:

Oh I have full faith you will be, at least for a while. But learn from those missteps and you'll be cool. Also, congrats.

Thank you! And good to know!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

vulturesrow posted:

:lol:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Somebody is jealous of that huge TDY dosh.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

orange juche posted:

Somebody is jealous of that huge TDY dosh.

Would've joined the Air Force if I wanted 10k foot runways and sweet TAD money.

Remember boys and girls: "flare to land, squat to pee."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Better than wearing a diaper or pissing into a bag.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Vulture you're an NFO, yeah? I have questions about accelerating my future. Actually I could use assistance from any NFO in that regard. Namaste.

edit: My racism avatar :(

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

Vulture you're an NFO, yeah? I have questions about accelerating my future. Actually I could use assistance from any NFO in that regard. Namaste.

Yup, and so is Wingnut Ninja. I'm a cheap bastard who doesn't have PMs but feel free to hit me up at my forums name at geemail dot com. Let me know if you do so I can check spam.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Try not to pick up a leather-skinned wife in Pensalcola.

Good luck!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Godholio posted:

Better than wearing a diaper or pissing into a bag.

I'm a Prowler guy, I had a relief tube. :smug: But yes now I have to pee in a bag if I need to go while I'm flying. I actually like A-10 drivers, CJ drivers, and AWACS dudes. Compass Calls are EW brothers of course. I mostly like AWACS guys because I hate the way they get poo poo on at every Red Flag debrief ever for stuff that was in no way their fault. I saw a 1LT get savaged at one and then of the F-22 guys stood up and basically gave that rear end in a top hat the business for making GBS threads on the 1LT for no reason. It was pretty awesome.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

hogmartin posted:

Dunno about now, this was 2006. Topside, pier rover, and belowdecks all had M9s with a shotgun for the pier rover.

Ya. Post 9/11 kneejerk bullshit. Normal for me was topside had a 1911 (switch to m9 around the last year I was in) and if we were in another country we had a pier guy with a shotgun.

edit : i mean really if a van full of assholes makes it past the gate and all the way to a boat wtf are 3 mostly untrained dudes going to do against them? or if it's special forces types coming in via the water same poo poo only more bloody.

ded fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 2, 2017

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Yup, and so is Wingnut Ninja. I'm a cheap bastard who doesn't have PMs but feel free to hit me up at my forums name at geemail dot com. Let me know if you do so I can check spam.

Sent, thank you.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

I'm a Prowler guy, I had a relief tube. :smug: But yes now I have to pee in a bag if I need to go while I'm flying. I actually like A-10 drivers, CJ drivers, and AWACS dudes. Compass Calls are EW brothers of course. I mostly like AWACS guys because I hate the way they get poo poo on at every Red Flag debrief ever for stuff that was in no way their fault. I saw a 1LT get savaged at one and then of the F-22 guys stood up and basically gave that rear end in a top hat the business for making GBS threads on the 1LT for no reason. It was pretty awesome.

My first RF really hammered home the lesson of "At least SOUND confident and like you know what you're talking about." It helps if you're good but unless you royally gently caress up, just sounding like you know you were right will divert most of those BS spears.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

maffew buildings posted:

vulturesrow posted:

Yeah, feel free to shoot me a PM with any NFO questions too.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Done deal, thanks, wanted to get out ahead on how much about Kenny Loggins I need to know

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Make sure you stop by the Top Gun gift shop when you come to Fallon.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Can't wait to start my AT on Monday!

Reserve life.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

Done deal, thanks, wanted to get out ahead on how much about Kenny Loggins I need to know

If you don't already have the Top Gun soundtrack you're well behind the power curve.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Let me tell you about the time that the EW guys in the prowlers and E2s came to me worried about being lit up by surface to air missile systems​ that didn't exist in theater.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Laranzu posted:

Let me tell you about the time that the EW guys in the prowlers and E2s came to me worried about being lit up by surface to air missile systems​ that didn't exist in theater.

Please do.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

I made a flip book PowerPoint of the difference between commercial navigation radar and surface to air engagement radar. Shot it out to the squadrons after a few days of them freaking out

Also pointed out that the missile systems didn't exist in the ocean. Or in the theater.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 2, 2017

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Laranzu posted:

I made a flip book PowerPoint of the difference between commercial navigation radar and surface to air engagement radar. Shot it out to the squadrons after a few days of them freaking out

Also pointed out that the missile systems didn't exist in the ocean. Or in the theater.

E2 guys aren't EW types, so that isnt really surprising. Prowler guys shouldve known better but without knowing details you cant put in here I can't really say if they were AFU or there was some confounding factor.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Downtown Waikiki is gayer than a bag of dicks.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

And I was suppose to do my AT in Hawaii before this MOB, oh well

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Your bad. I'm currenwnrtotiyn. At moooder mgyikldcuufyidsn either a a woworkkwrr. Having fun. Sshdhdb. Sftenntybdyjne etnenen.
I'll

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
So, dumb question, my orders say my report date is to be no earlier than the 3rd and no later than the 7th. I'm flying down to Pensacola today. Does this mean if I get to base today I'm allowed to just chill in the Gateway for a couple days while I wait for the rest of my classmates to trickle in so we can report all at once, or do I have to report to the quarter deck right away on the 3rd?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Your bad. I'm currenwnrtotiyn. At moooder mgyikldcuufyidsn either a a woworkkwrr. Having fun. Sshdhdb. Sftenntybdyjne etnenen.
I'll

Quoting for evidence in case it's needed for the roofie prosecution.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

You lose a couple leave days if you get there on the NLT date. So if you want to chill cool, but you probably won't have a ton to do before the class convenes anyway

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So, dumb question, my orders say my report date is to be no earlier than the 3rd and no later than the 7th. I'm flying down to Pensacola today. Does this mean if I get to base today I'm allowed to just chill in the Gateway for a couple days while I wait for the rest of my classmates to trickle in so we can report all at once, or do I have to report to the quarter deck right away on the 3rd?

It's up to you, you're not required to check in until the 7th, but unless you're planning on leaving the local area this week, I'd recommend checking in on the 3rd and saving those leave days for when you really want them. I don't know where API is currently on the sliding scale of "be chill" to "full retard" (it's a cyclical thing based on how recently some dumb fucker did some dumb fucker thing), but if you check in early you're probably, at most, spending 10 minutes mustering each morning, and maybe getting a head start on some of the admin stuff. Or they may just log you in and tell you to come back on Friday.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

LingcodKilla posted:

Idk even tho it's a tourist trap I think it's fun

Get to the north shore

Major Minor
Apr 28, 2010

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Hey Jimmy, I read this thread everyday but never post because I知 retarded and not funny. I知 on the SNA side so I can稚 help you with much post-API but I have NFO buddies at every stage of training and in every community so feel free to give me a shout with whatever and if I can稚 help, I値l get you someone who knows better.

As Wingnut said, go ahead and check-in now and save your leave. After getting all your admin and medical done, you値l primarily be checking in every morning for 10 minutes with PT 2-3x a week and maybe a couple times you値l get hit with duty. You値l sit in A-Pool for a while but you値l get to IFS/API a lot sooner than the SNAs you check in with.

If you have any burning questions or need someone to show you around, shoot me a PM!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

Quoting for evidence in case it's needed for the roofie prosecution.

I probably shouldn't try to post when drunk. Anyways my chief woke me up and we went on a short run and all is good now.

Weather: Not Washington, sun!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

I'll

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I honestly thought that was Welsh.