Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

If I thought amiibo spoofing was likely to ruin the livelihood of whoever came up with the idea of amiibos, that'd just make me want to do it more

Seriously, gently caress that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah but without Amiibos we wouldn't have "Griffin's Amiibo Corner" and anything that might result in the loss of a McElroy activity is unacceptable.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't like puyo puyo Tetris because it's ok hard or I'm playing it wrong although I have no problem beating Tetris grand master and getting far into next rounds

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Suaimhneas posted:

If I thought amiibo spoofing was likely to ruin the livelihood of whoever came up with the idea of amiibos, that'd just make me want to do it more

It was Iwata

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

parallelodad posted:

It was Iwata

I'm glad he's dea- ok, look I'm not proud of this post, it was just the funny thing to say in the moment, I don't even hate Amiibo, please don't ban me

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Suaimhneas posted:

You really hate the idea of fun little collectable tchotchkes that much? That you'd wish financial hardship on someone over it?

Reflect, for a moment, on what that says about you.

"I hate this thing so much I want some other random person to suffer for it"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

You really hate the idea of fun little collectable tchotchkes that much? That you'd wish financial hardship on someone over it?

Yeah gently caress those guys

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

NewFatMike posted:

Yeah but without Amiibos we wouldn't have "Griffin's Amiibo Corner" and anything that might result in the loss of a McElroy activity is unacceptable.

This is literally the only thing that has ever made me care about amiibos. That and the thought of collecting some of the lovely characters no one likes or cares about.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
The only terrible thing about Amiibos are the manchildren and the scalpers defending the artificial scarcity of a four letter on disc dlc unlocker. Other than that Amiibos are cute but jfc put a drat dlc code for sale on the eshop, Nintendo.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Didn't see a general Nintendo topic, but I'm curious what Nintendos most durable console (bound to last a long time is). Wii U I figure would be pretty low on the list. I'm already seeing some GBA games have their battery run dry. I like to think disc based systems are more durable than cart based, but anything with a disc reader can tend to fail as well

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

zaepg posted:

Didn't see a general Nintendo topic, but I'm curious what Nintendos most durable console (bound to last a long time is). Wii U I figure would be pretty low on the list. I'm already seeing some GBA games have their battery run dry. I like to think disc based systems are more durable than cart based, but anything with a disc reader can tend to fail as well

Don't need a battery if you're going to beat the game in one sitting.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

My local Best Buy has approximately 30 Lucina amiibo on their shelf. 30. They've been there for weeks. I never know what to think of this "artificial scarcity" discussion, because there are literally dozens upon dozens of figures that absolutely no one is buying right now and may never buy. Now, when the next Fire Emblem game comes out, people will rush out in droves to buy those 30 Lucina amiibo and then everyone will start complaining about "artificial scarcity" again.

Sheiks and Zeldas were everywhere before BotW hit, because no one cared. Even the new Zelda amiibos weren't super rare. Suddenly, everyone went "Wait, a SPECIAL BOW!?" and bought them all out. Now, we want Nintendo to make hundreds of thousands of these amiibo, so everyone can have 30 Sheiks on their store shelves.

How do you, as a company, truly tackle that?

Also, none of the amiibo items are necessary, and outside of the Twilight Bow, you might not even think twice about them. I have two sets of the "of the Wind" set, and I don't even want them anymore. (And you can't dye them! RIP Purple Link.)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Takoluka posted:

My local Best Buy has approximately 30 Lucina amiibo on their shelf. 30. They've been there for weeks. I never know what to think of this "artificial scarcity" discussion, because there are literally dozens upon dozens of figures that absolutely no one is buying right now and may never buy. Now, when the next Fire Emblem game comes out, people will rush out in droves to buy those 30 Lucina amiibo and then everyone will start complaining about "artificial scarcity" again.

Sheiks and Zeldas were everywhere before BotW hit, because no one cared. Even the new Zelda amiibos weren't super rare. Suddenly, everyone went "Wait, a SPECIAL BOW!?" and bought them all out. Now, we want Nintendo to make hundreds of thousands of these amiibo, so everyone can have 30 Sheiks on their store shelves.

Also, none of the amiibo items are necessary, and outside of the Twilight Bow, you might not even think twice about them. I have two sets of the "of the Wind" set, and I don't even want them anymore. (And you can't dye them! RIP Purple Link.)

You don't. You make as many as you think will sell and let people cry from time to time.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

zaepg posted:

i got my wii a decade ago. it's dropped more than once and has spent the last several years in a box. i just dug it out and powered it on and it still works.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

jivjov posted:

Agreed

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Takoluka posted:

Digital.

Amiibos.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Wheany posted:

Digital.

Amiibos.

They would still be 13 dollars.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

sorry we ran out of digital amiibos and don't know when we'll get more

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

jivjov posted:

Another addition to the lengthy JivJov.txt

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Wheany posted:

Digital.

Amiibos.

I sold a virtual magic card collection for 2500 not too long ago

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

enojy posted:

I honestly never thought I'd see the day when people talk of amiibo scalping not because of their rarity or their collectability, but because of the dumb useless NFC poo poo they do hahaha

Hahahahhahahaha yeah its loving hilarious that people are talking about games and things in games hahhahahahahhahaha

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Guys how do you keep from constantly laughing about nfc devices? I just can't stop.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Wheany posted:

Digital.

Amiibos.

Do you charge the same price and basically charge a super premium for digital goods, or do you charge significantly less and unincentivize purchase of the physical amiibo to the general public?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If they really wanted to alleviate Amiibo availability issues they would have put out more amiibo cards. Unless their problem is sourcing NFC chips, those can be easily mass produced.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

jivjov posted:

Sometimes it's hard to get to sleep but generally I only spend an hour tossing and turning before consciousness comes to a blissful end.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
LOL if you don't spend every waking moment wishing pain and misery upon the majority of humanity.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Norns posted:

Hahahahhahahaha yeah its loving hilarious that people are talking about games and things in games hahhahahahahhahaha

I'm starting to think you take things out of context on purpose

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
S-s-s-shittalking amiibos... *holds back tears*

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Kawabata posted:

Two months ago a friend of mine (a self-proclaimed real gamer) told me that BOTW looked like a "poo poo PS2 game with little bitch framerate", and he was sorry for all the Nintendo fans missing ME:Andromeda.

lol

Your friend needs to tell you which secret Playstation 2 game no one else ever saw looked like Breath of the Wild.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find many PS3 games that could trump Breath of the Wild in visuals (though you'd have an easier time there).

I still don't particularly like Breath of the Wild, but I think it's clearly a good-looking game.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

chaleski posted:

I'm starting to think you take things out of context on purpose

:shrug:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Amibo unlocks are generally insignificant poo poo that you shouldn't care about but spoofing them is functionally identical to borrowing a friends figures and if you have a problem with that you have a broken brain.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

Amibo unlocks are generally insignificant poo poo that you shouldn't care about but spoofing them is functionally identical to borrowing a friends figures and if you have a problem with that you have a broken brain.

Just like when I borrowed my friend xTorrentFreakx's copy of Get Smart for Blu-ray

The one with Steve Carell

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Spellman posted:

Just like when I borrowed my friend xTorrentFreakx's copy of Get Smart for Blu-ray

The one with Steve Carell

Was Get Smart already on your bluray player and putting a disc in unlocked it?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

zaepg posted:

batteries are pretty easy to swap if you know how to solder (very basic soldering too). If you don't want to lose your save, then you need something like a Retron5 or other device to download your save files, swap the battery and reupload them. There are other ways of attaching a temporary battery as well. However, if you let the cart's battery completely die to begin with, that is a moot point anyway.

I'd go with any cart based console over disc for durability since there are no mechanical parts. GBA's are more susceptible to batteries dying because of games like Pokemon that used real time clocks. My original Zelda (NES) still has my saves from childhood on it. Well, one of my games that I played through twice got erased magically, I thought it was a battery issue but my 2 sisters' saves were fine.. so I think it just got sabotaged... I've only had 2 games with dead batteries, a NES cart (can't remember which) and a GBA cart that I bought with a dead battery for cheaper since I was going to swap it out myself.

That said, In another 20 years, I see NES/SNES/N64's still working (with battery swaps in the carts), however, who knows how things like the Switch will hold up. I assume a lot more will get broken/scratched up from use and people screwing up battery swaps and frying them or something. And sadly more and more GC/Wii/WiiU disc drives will fail. So we will have to hope the mod scene stays strong where you can mod your GC, or just soft mod your Wii to play games from SD cards or hdd's.

Cardboard Box posted:

i got my wii a decade ago. it's dropped more than once and has spent the last several years in a box. i just dug it out and powered it on and it still works.

mine is starting to show graphical artifacts when playing Skyward Sword, but only have noticed it with that game (however they don't show up on my WiiU). So I think it may have heat issues with more intensive games, and that seems to be the consensus when doing some googling. Hoping it is just some funk with Skyward Sword though. I mean, it isn't a huge deal, I use my WiiU for Wii games now, and the Wii is just there i I want to play GC games in 480p on my HDTV (I keep my GC on my CRT tv until they release those plug n play HDMI/component adapters since I don't want to spend $200 on component cables).

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 2, 2017

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I dislike amiibos, but amiibo cards aren't bad I guess, really affordable and cheap enough to buy singles as long as they don't make some cards absurdly rare like how most TCGs are.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm gonna 3D print some amiibo figurines to go with my downloaded codes, take THAT Nintendo

I'm not sure if this is :filez: or not I'm only joking

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Was Get Smart already on your bluray player and putting a disc in unlocked it?

Well I had an unmarked disc was there and apparently I only had to put one or two files on it to unlock its Get Smart functionality

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Switch is good. It is better than a bone.
Amiibos are good. They are better than skylanders.
Nintendo is not good. They are like apple.
Iwata and Jobs are dead. This is where the similarities end.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Waltzing Along posted:

The Switch is good. It is better than a bone.
Amiibos are good. They are better than skylanders.
Nintendo is not good. They are like apple.
Iwata and Jobs are dead. This is where the similarities end.

I love my MacBook Pro and my Switch. Neither company is inherently good or bad. They are just companies, just happens that both are more stubborn than their competitors and are fine catering to more niche subsets of the market. Yet, both are flush with cash, sometimes in better spots than their competitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

jivjov posted:

lol shut up jivjov :xd:

• Locked thread