Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

yegods posted:

ARGH. Stay away from the new Invasion pack. What an exercise in frustration. I just love getting stun-lock killed every time I step foot outside my house, and then having big bear spawn inside my house. Worse than To the Core, much worse. What makes it sad is that the essential game play is very interesting and I wanted so much to like it. Maybe someone has tweaks that can be done to solve the stupid combat problems?

I'm enjoying watching DW20 and Pahimar play this pack. Episode 3 has Pahimar saying the modpack isn't fun and why are they playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leavy
Feb 15, 2003

rufus

yegods posted:

ARGH. Stay away from the new Invasion pack. What an exercise in frustration. I just love getting stun-lock killed every time I step foot outside my house, and then having big bear spawn inside my house. Worse than To the Core, much worse. What makes it sad is that the essential game play is very interesting and I wanted so much to like it. Maybe someone has tweaks that can be done to solve the stupid combat problems?

The answer is /gamerule keepinventory true

Seriously, I did this and it made the pack a lot more fun. I got tired of whiffing my giant lead zweihander at a huge dog while its model was directly square center in my crosshairs, only to die to it.

Funny enough, it's still frustrating as hell considering the nature of exploration and the supply drops in the pack. Getting surrounded by a pack of said dogs and a few bears while waiting on 4 pods to drop, dying, coming back and seeing that everything including the pods have despawned (or been looted by the patreon zombie things, who knows) still makes death a hurdle, despite being able to defend myself right after death.

Also the fact that you have to actively try and tank your hunger so you can eat food to restore health because you haven't got the materials for a medpack yet is a stupid mechanic that I don't understand, which ends up being another justification to keeping my inventory on death.

Leavy
Feb 15, 2003

rufus
Also, on the topic of PO2, I was really enjoying my Frozen Titan run until I ran into the brick wall that was "blue diamond". For one the infinity catalyst (I think?), that was the only ingredient that made me drop the pack for good unless there's some sort of thing I'm missing.

I played Galacticraft to like tier 5 a couple of months ago, and the initial grind for meteoric iron just killed all future interest in ever doing that pack again. Having a mechanic where you have to actively sit AFK for hours on a planet surface so that enough of the poo poo drops from the sky to eventually collect (over, and over, and over since every tier piggy-backs on the previous). I know the asteroids, rarely, can be comprised 100% of the stuff, but that's only after you've built three different rockets that each require 40-80 of the stuff to build. I can barely see the horizon when considering what it would take for tier 8, while including the all the other grinds such as Mercury ore and the others.

I did have a theory of trying to stack a "powered" killer joe, mechanical user, and autonomous activator on top of each other, and chunkloading a 16x16 area around them to maybe fake out Galacticraft that there was actually a player standing there afk, but just the fact that there would be this massive grind on top of the other work needed to get that drat catalyst just killed any further motivation. I was pumped too, with a time accelerator helping poo poo out netherstars to the point I had a six-digit number of them the same day I created my first 10/10/10 seed.

edit: also, Kappa mode has a recipe to create meteoric iron from 16 skystone dust and steel or iron or something. Considering the fact I was on the Frozen map which is littered with asteroids, this would have been an awesome thing to include. Though I kind of understand it for the purposes of Kappa which is intended for streaming, and having the player AFK on the moon for hours isn't conducive to that.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Leavy posted:

Also, on the topic of PO2, I was really enjoying my Frozen Titan run until I ran into the brick wall that was "blue diamond". For one the infinity catalyst (I think?), that was the only ingredient that made me drop the pack for good unless there's some sort of thing I'm missing.

I played Galacticraft to like tier 5 a couple of months ago, and the initial grind for meteoric iron just killed all future interest in ever doing that pack again. Having a mechanic where you have to actively sit AFK for hours on a planet surface so that enough of the poo poo drops from the sky to eventually collect (over, and over, and over since every tier piggy-backs on the previous). I know the asteroids, rarely, can be comprised 100% of the stuff, but that's only after you've built three different rockets that each require 40-80 of the stuff to build. I can barely see the horizon when considering what it would take for tier 8, while including the all the other grinds such as Mercury ore and the others.

I did have a theory of trying to stack a "powered" killer joe, mechanical user, and autonomous activator on top of each other, and chunkloading a 16x16 area around them to maybe fake out Galacticraft that there was actually a player standing there afk, but just the fact that there would be this massive grind on top of the other work needed to get that drat catalyst just killed any further motivation. I was pumped too, with a time accelerator helping poo poo out netherstars to the point I had a six-digit number of them the same day I created my first 10/10/10 seed.

edit: also, Kappa mode has a recipe to create meteoric iron from 16 skystone dust and steel or iron or something. Considering the fact I was on the Frozen map which is littered with asteroids, this would have been an awesome thing to include. Though I kind of understand it for the purposes of Kappa which is intended for streaming, and having the player AFK on the moon for hours isn't conducive to that.

Can't you get the meteor iron from a Minefactory Reloaded laser drill? I thought it produced all types of ores in the dictionary.

Leavy
Feb 15, 2003

rufus

Rutibex posted:

Can't you get the meteor iron from a Minefactory Reloaded laser drill? I thought it produced all types of ores in the dictionary.

Not that I've seen after hitting "R" on everything related to meteoric iron within NEI. It's not a typical ore since the "raw meteoric iron" drops from an entity-ish meteor block, so I imagine that screws with it being included in the drill's resource table.

Also there's the fact that I've had one running for a looong time with no lenses, and it's not anywhere to be seen.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Toadsmash posted:

Is there a mid tier device charger thing in Beyond that I'm missing? The TE one feels a bit slow but you can't install augments on it, and I'm still way off the Ender IO wireless one.

You can charge stuff in an Ender IO capacitor bank.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I never figured out what the hell those slots in the GUI were for. You mean after all that trouble I could've done this with something I already had? :argh:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

lolmer posted:

Ender I/O and Iron Chests, for example, sometimes have some issues with IInventory (since fixed in Ender I/O from what I hear). I fixed most of this problem by sending my Refined Storage (RS) Crafters output into vanilla chests, then to be piped into the Alloy Smelters/SAG Mills/whatever.
Maybe this is why I've never encountered the bug. I almost exclusively use importer/exporters on individual EIO stuff and the crafting is always facing chests of some kind (AA's crates often) that then are piped to an array of 32-64 EIO sag mills/smelters.

The AE bug is due to something else.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

That's probably what I should be doing anyway since the buffer gives you a lot more room for doing fancy stuff with the input. I'm just lazy.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
AE2 crafting monitor will tell you exactly what's holding up a job, which makes sense for a thing that monitors crafting

Invasion sounded good on paper but the execution was lacking, I tried the Raiders mod and all it does is spam the chat with raiders names (which are streamers) killing each other. Do you have to put up with that in Invasion too?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

Meteoric iron isn't an 'ore', it's chunks from the stuff that falls on planets and blocks (like iron blocks) in meteors.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

My RS autocrafting setup finally put enough drain on my electrical grid that I had to raise my reactor higher than literally 5% of its capacity. It's... it's beautiful!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

frenzy posted:

AE2 crafting monitor will tell you exactly what's holding up a job, which makes sense for a thing that monitors crafting

And the answer is nearly always "You changed something in the network while it was working now it can't craft one or more of the components it was working on, PUT IT BACK".

Seriously, part of the reason AE2 auto-crafting is the way it is, is to ensure that it cannot bug on it's own. And it effectively never does.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

I haven't run into any more issues with RS since I forced my whole base to stay chunkloaded. I guess AE2 is a little more resilient to parts of the network going dark mebbe?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Honestly one thing I like much better about RS is the lack of additional ore/resource. Quartz+Iron works fine and still provides a bit of resource gating.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Thanks, I didn't even think of that. I have also heard that the mod responsible for the terrible combat is MineSouls, so I'm thinking of trying again but leaving that mod out. The pack does have some great ideas, and I hate to give up on it.

Leavy posted:

The answer is /gamerule keepinventory true

Seriously, I did this and it made the pack a lot more fun. I got tired of whiffing my giant lead zweihander at a huge dog while its model was directly square center in my crosshairs, only to die to it.

Funny enough, it's still frustrating as hell considering the nature of exploration and the supply drops in the pack. Getting surrounded by a pack of said dogs and a few bears while waiting on 4 pods to drop, dying, coming back and seeing that everything including the pods have despawned (or been looted by the patreon zombie things, who knows) still makes death a hurdle, despite being able to defend myself right after death.

Also the fact that you have to actively try and tank your hunger so you can eat food to restore health because you haven't got the materials for a medpack yet is a stupid mechanic that I don't understand, which ends up being another justification to keeping my inventory on death.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Toadsmash posted:

I haven't run into any more issues with RS since I forced my whole base to stay chunkloaded. I guess AE2 is a little more resilient to parts of the network going dark mebbe?

Very likely. AE probably has the single most robust and thorough code base of any MC mod. It handles failure states really gracefully.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Seems like any mod that moves items around tends to need to be chunkloaded, Like how EnderIO conduits need to be re-placed to get them to work if you're on a server and didn't chunkload them and left for a while

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Does anyone have a good example of how to get EnderIO conduits to work with AE2? I know EnderIO has the ME conduit but I cannot for the life of me get them to work. I keep having to make a midline chest to bridge the two.

Failing that, a way of getting AE2 to use the ore dictionary and take these other 4 types of copper ore I currently have.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Kris xK posted:

Does anyone have a good example of how to get EnderIO conduits to work with AE2? I know EnderIO has the ME conduit but I cannot for the life of me get them to work. I keep having to make a midline chest to bridge the two.

Failing that, a way of getting AE2 to use the ore dictionary and take these other 4 types of copper ore I currently have.

Will an AE2 fuzzy card let it do that? I'm not sure if fuzzy cards use ore dictionary or not.

If you're in 1.7.10 Minecraft and have MFR installed, a Unifier solves the problem: just put stuff into the unifier and pull it from there into the network.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Taffer posted:

Very likely. AE probably has the single most robust and thorough code base of any MC mod. It handles failure states really gracefully.

Does the channel system make the mod run more efficiently, or is it just included to make it more challenging to design a network?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

General Specific posted:

Does the channel system make the mod run more efficiently, or is it just included to make it more challenging to design a network?

It's probably just to make it more challenging to design a network. If anything, it probably degrades performance by requiring more checks (are the allotted channels full? etc.) However, AE2 has a much older, much more robust codebase by dint of being battle-tested in literally every modpack made since it was released, and (IIRC) was designed with performance in mind. The other knock-offs haven't had that much time, and are designing their mods with feature parity (minus channels) in mind.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Kris xK posted:

My preferred way of dealing with it these days (if you have the Storage Drawers mod available as well) is to store all the ingots in compacting drawers and then put a storage bus on the drawer controller connected to them all. That merges them all into a single ID for that ingot and also gives you access to the block, ingot, and nugget forms without any extra recipes needed.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

General Specific posted:

It's possible (likely, even) that there are and performance improvements baked into the system (not doing the usual checks of connected stuff if the number of channels is exceeded, etc), but I haven't looked close enough to know. It was created for gameplay reasons.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So we had a quick chat about diva modders and monetization in the Stellaris thread and because the Minecraft modding community has always been a bit poo poo I poked around a bit. Turns out Azanor makes $1600 per month off his Patreon, this isn't an issue in itself because hey support modders but he's actually selling access to the Thaumcraft 6 alpha for $25 and recently posted this in his Patreon updates which, to me, pretty blatantly spells out it's all about the money.

Azanor posted:

There has been an unfortunate increase in "samplers" lately (people who pledge $25+ to get beta access and then drop their pledge before the end of the month or who simply give bogus payment info).
This is causing me quite a bit of admin I would rather avoid and in some cases there is no way for me to control if the persons pledge did actually go through or not - Patreon does no give us access to past payments once someone leaves.

Because of this I have changed to the "Charge up front" system Patreon now offers. This means when you make a pledge you will be charged immediately and won't become a patron until the pledge goes through. I am not 100% happy with this system and have been resisting using it for a while, but the time wasted dealing with this has just been adding up way too much.

So it seems to me the whole thing about Mojang coming out against mod monetization has basically been subverted. Does this extend to other big mod packs as well?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
The idea of pledging money, getting what the person offers for that pledge, and then cancelling the pledge because it isn't taken immediately is an.. odd system regardless of what it's for.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

So we had a quick chat about diva modders and monetization in the Stellaris thread and because the Minecraft modding community has always been a bit poo poo I poked around a bit. Turns out Azanor makes $1600 per month off his Patreon, this isn't an issue in itself because hey support modders but he's actually selling access to the Thaumcraft 6 alpha for $25 and recently posted this in his Patreon updates which, to me, pretty blatantly spells out it's all about the money.

So it seems to me the whole thing about Mojang coming out against mod monetization has basically been subverted. Does this extend to other big mod packs as well?

No that's pretty normal for anyone on Patreon with a lot of supporters. Pledge fraud is really that annoying and widespread.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Kris xK posted:

the AE conduit is only to allow you to run an AE cable in the same block as other cables, it does not bridge

I usually have a single input chest attached to a tesseract, then export busses where i need them

When you make the pattern there is an option to use similar (its the little bar top right next to the X )

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 4, 2017

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Demiurge4 posted:

I think the main reason for the EULA changes way back was because of servers that had pay for ingame perks/items setups going. Although, in theory, there's nothing at all stopping Mojang/Microsoft from loving over anyone who only gives access to a mod, beta version or not, for money. Azanor is plain stupid with the amount of money he gets each month for doing this.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Demiurge4 posted:

Thaumcraft is not worth $1600 per month lol

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm on mobile and can't find it in search; is there still a general Minecraft thread and can someone link it if so?

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm on mobile and can't find it in search; is there still a general Minecraft thread and can someone link it if so?

I got you.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430275

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Thanks bae

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Mojang was never against mod monetization, just against servers that paywalled vanilla features. Like ones that made kids steal their parents credit cards and pay $5 before they could have diamonds.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

Taffer posted:

Mojang was never against mod monetization, just against servers that paywalled vanilla features. Like ones that made kids steal their parents credit cards and pay $5 before they could have diamonds.

Yeah, wasn't there a youtube video showing off one of those servers?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Hahahahaha I'm an idiot. Never mind.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 4, 2017

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Taffer posted:

Yeah, that was opening them up to some very uncomfortable lawsuits or at least possibility for litigation. Mod monetization is a much more niche problem and frankly not nearly as big of a deal.

I can't say that I like that Azanor is doing that, but I don't begrudge him the right.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
A mod is someones own work, they own the copyright to it and have every right to sell it (assuming there is no Minecraft code in there). Companies don't have the right to say who can mod their software, thats why Game Genie won against Nintendo in court.

Making a paid vanilla server is another case entirely though. In that case you are using Mojang software, so you need to follow their license.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The thing I never got about all those Minecraft server horror stories was why people would pay to access the server then pay more to be able to get diamonds or whatever. Wouldn't it have been cheaper (and easier) to just host your own server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Evil Mastermind posted:

The thing I never got about all those Minecraft server horror stories was why people would pay to access the server then pay more to be able to get diamonds or whatever. Wouldn't it have been cheaper (and easier) to just host your own server?

There is some intrinsic value to playing on a populated, well maintained, and moderated server. It takes an investment in time and effort to address all those items, plus the cost of renting a host.

Kinda like you can post on reddit for free, but you pay $10 to post here.

it's bullshit to have up-sells on the gameplay though.