Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Droo posted:

Buy a pump like this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018LRUDUU?ref=emc_b_5_i, make sure it can clear the water down to a very low level (1/8th inch or 1/16th inch).

Don't you already have a sump pump somewhere, since you have a basement? It should already be pumping out the water for you.

I do not have a sump pump or a floor drain, no. According to the warranty they'll install one if I experience seepage so I've got to get to claiming that I guess.

Thanks, I actually ended up ordering just that pump at the local Home Depot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I got some pretty serious seepage and I have like an inch of water in my basement. I have a wet-dry vac but apparently 16 gallons is not as much water as it sounds like and it feels like I am hardly making a dent. What can I do to get this water out short of paying someone a gazillion dollars to come out and pump it?

I guess the good news is that seepage is specifically mentioned as a covered problem in my home's warranty

You have hundreds of gallons of water potentially, with more coming in as you vac. Am I doing this right for my sample 1250sq ft home to cu-ft to gallons? 25'x50'x(1"/12") = 104 cu ft = 774 gallons?

If it's covered read everything very carefully as to how they might weasel out of it and make them handle it.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

You have hundreds of gallons of water potentially, with more coming in as you vac. Am I doing this right for my sample 1250sq ft home to cu-ft to gallons? 25'x50'x(1"/12") = 104 cu ft = 774 gallons?

If it's covered read everything very carefully as to how they might weasel out of it and make them handle it.

Yeah if I'm reading it right the main thing they could claim is the downspouts I put on the gutters are inadequate, but it also says it's at the builder's sole discretion whether to fix it, so, huh, I dunno. Lots of room for weaseling for sure.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I do not have a sump pump or a floor drain, no. According to the warranty they'll install one if I experience seepage so I've got to get to claiming that I guess.

Thanks, I actually ended up ordering just that pump at the local Home Depot

Get to know the tool rental department at home depot, they rent all sorts of useful stuff, like this: http://www.homedepot.com/c/drain_cleaning_and_pump_equipment_rental#pumps

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

devicenull posted:

Get to know the tool rental department at home depot, they rent all sorts of useful stuff, like this: http://www.homedepot.com/c/drain_cleaning_and_pump_equipment_rental#pumps

Good to know. I had a hell of a time just finding one to buy because I am far from the only person experiencing the problem in this weather it seems (I drove for an hour to pick up the drat thing).

Anyway this pump is working a lot better than my previous method so hopefully I can get this licked.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Just curious what are people's thoughts on modern construction? After looking at a bunch of houses I realized I really like the open layout and general floor plans of modern homes, but I've also read a lot of negative stories about their level of construction quality. On the other hand wouldn't one expect newer tech/materials and construction techniques to lead to better energy efficiency and lower maintenance costs? What are the trade offs here?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

NoDamage posted:

Just curious what are people's thoughts on modern construction? After looking at a bunch of houses I realized I really like the open layout and general floor plans of modern homes, but I've also read a lot of negative stories about their level of construction quality. On the other hand wouldn't one expect newer tech/materials and construction techniques to lead to better energy efficiency and lower maintenance costs? What are the trade offs here?

Old homes can be bad too, but some number of the old bad homes either fell down or had their issues solved. Some number of them will also just continue imposing problems on their owners. Older construction isn't necessarily better, people have been cutting corners for forever. Many of the tradeoffs are described in the second post of the home buying thread, and I think they're pretty accurate; there's not really a clear-cut advantage to buying new or old, all houses are going to have unique problems and there are potential advantages/disadvantages to both.

Personally I think layout is one of the most important aspects of a home and should be a bigger factor in your decision than whether or not a house is new

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Man, I feel like a dumbass. My wife and I ran ourselves ragged trying to remove all this water in the basement and the pump made it easy as hell. But of course we're still extremely sore because our initial plan involved carrying buckets full of water up the stairs.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

QuarkJets posted:

Old homes can be bad too, but some number of the old bad homes either fell down or had their issues solved. Some number of them will also just continue imposing problems on their owners. Older construction isn't necessarily better, people have been cutting corners for forever. Many of the tradeoffs are described in the second post of the home buying thread, and I think they're pretty accurate; there's not really a clear-cut advantage to buying new or old, all houses are going to have unique problems and there are potential advantages/disadvantages to both.

Personally I think layout is one of the most important aspects of a home and should be a bigger factor in your decision than whether or not a house is new

Posting this again cause it is needs to be.

some goon posted:

Old construction is better than new constructionbecause older homes were usually overbuilt in structural terms. They'll also usually be in better parts of town, in more established neighborhoods, and closer to city centers and services because they were built before everyone drove everywhere. Old houses were built by tradespeople who treated construction as a career and took pride in their work. They were built to last forever. You'll have a yard and a sidewalk that leads somewhere you want to go. You'll have a cozy fireplace and a formal living room. 

New construction is better than old constructionbecause it follows modern building codes. You'll have outlets every six feet, laundry connections, a two car garage, cable in multiple rooms, and more than one light in any given room. You'll have a living room built with a TV in mind and a kitchen built with a microwave and dishwasher in mind. You'll have a media room rather than a formal living room. You'll have insulation in the walls and the ceiling, efficient appliances, a complete HVAC system, double-paned windows, and insulation-wrapped hot water pipes. You'll have bedrooms that fit king size beds, an eat-in kitchen, and a bathroom that's wider than a bathtub. You'll have special foundation reinforcement (where applicable) or storm-proof roofing. You won't have to worry about your roof for 20 years. 

Old construction is worse than new constructionbecause the walls hide horrible problems, like support beams cut in half, old wiring, leaky pipes with lead solder, and asbestos-lined heating ducts. There are never enough outlets and if you use the hair dryer and the microwave at the same time you'll have a brownout. Your drainage to the sewer, if it's present, will be clay pipes full of roots. You'll have tiny rooms with low ceilings and a tiny kitchen that doesn't have a dishwasher. You'll have the most inefficient heating system possible, and if there's air conditioning it will triple your electrical expenses and drop the temperature by 5 degrees and drip water down the inside of your wall. You'll have single-pane aluminum windows and no insulation in the walls. Your roof will have three layers of shingles on it or will be leaking or both. 

New construction is worse than old constructionbecause it was built by people hired that morning in a Home Depot parking lot, using the minimum amount of material in order to meet the too-lax building codes, designed to last through the three year warranty and not a day more. New construction sometimes employs newtechniques in an incorrect manner, which often ends up trapping moisture somewhere in the walls and causing horrific mold or rot problems. New construction is all about the finishes and not about the structure or mechanicals. You'll get a yard that funnels water into your foundation covered in some sod and maybe a 2-year-old tree. Your brand new roof was flashed incorrectly and water's running underneath all of it. 

All of the above is true, simultaneously. Home ownership is awesome." 

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
So we're getting into the season where outdoors finally REALLY makes sense to grill. I don't do a lot of the cooking around the house and I was never really bitten by the grill bug as a kid. That said, our stove in the house doesn't have a working vent fan and so the best way to cook, well, every piece of meat is by throwing it out on a grill. I have a little Weber charcoal monster that's a real hassle to use for routine cooking. Gas seems like the way to go.

Questions
1) Should I deal with the hassle of having NG plumbed out near our deck and getting a NG grill?
2) Should I put an LP grill on the wood deck, or down on the concrete patio?
3) I was thinking the Weber 3 burner Spirit (on sale from Amazon) would be a good deal at $520 new with cover. I've looked at Craigslist Webers and none look like terribly good deals.
4) Do I need all this rotisserie/infrared nonsense? If I get really super "into" this, will this setup suffice for long enough that I can buy something really obnoxious in 5 years?

I don't even grill, bro.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

1) Should I deal with the hassle of having NG plumbed out near our deck and getting a NG grill?
Where are you from? In some area NG imparts a nasty taste to meat if cooked directly because of impurities in the gas. This is why Hank Hill on "King of the Hill" was always saying to use clean burning propane to "taste the meat, not the heat." NG in Texas contains sulfur compounds that are gross.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Questions

I think a lot of grills can be easily converted from propane to NG. A few of the one's I've built have even come with the proper replacement orifices. If you find one that's easily swapped, start off with propane and see how much of a pain in the rear end that is.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Buy a $50 propane grill at a garage sale and try grilling this summer. If you are still bothering to do it in six months, then spend the $500+ for a nice one.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Leperflesh posted:

Buy a $50 propane grill at a garage sale and try grilling this summer. If you are still bothering to do it in six months, then spend the $500+ for a nice one.

My wife has decided this will be my contribution to the preparation of our family meals, so I am pretty well committed. $500 is sufficient to get a nice grill?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
All I can say is Weber is worth the money for most grills. Short of something like the big Green egg for smoking, Weber makes quality stuff.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Alereon posted:

Where are you from? In some area NG imparts a nasty taste to meat if cooked directly because of impurities in the gas. This is why Hank Hill on "King of the Hill" was always saying to use clean burning propane to "taste the meat, not the heat." NG in Texas contains sulfur compounds that are gross.

Iowa, I have friends that use NG and haven't heard of any such complaints.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

All I can say is Weber is worth the money for most grills. Short of something like the big Green egg for smoking, Weber makes quality stuff.

I was reading about these this morning and hoo boy it looks like a riot but I don't know that I have the patience or the aptitude to be cooking stuff for 18-24 hours (yet.)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mercury Ballistic posted:

This. Webers are awesome.

$500 might be enough to score a BGE on Craigslist though, if you're persistent enough. I've heard of them going that low.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I was reading about these this morning and hoo boy it looks like a riot but I don't know that I have the patience or the aptitude to be cooking stuff for 18-24 hours (yet.)

I haven't done anything longer than 4 hours and it's been great to smoke pork loins and chicken. It's also great just as a grill because goddamn does it get hot.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Weber's Smoky Mountain smoker is actually quite decent too. You can grill on it, but it is not gas. There is a long running smoking thread in GWS for those interested.

I have a Weber Q series propane grill, and it has been perfectly fine for a family of 4.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

My wife has decided this will be my contribution to the preparation of our family meals, so I am pretty well committed. $500 is sufficient to get a nice grill?

Yes and in fact the lowest end Spirit is cheaper and is a joy to use and completely sufficient unless you are like cooking for a large party.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Our $99 propane special made of the most middling quality chinesium has lasted for years. It's great for up to 4 people or like 1.5lbs of flank. It has basically three settings, off, not quite low enough, and high. I wouldn't bother with plumbing NG. The biggest gizmo would be some kind of sear station.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

MrYenko posted:

This. Webers are awesome.

$500 might be enough to score a BGE on Craigslist though, if you're persistent enough. I've heard of them going that low.

How about this?

https://iowacity.craigslist.org/for/6055759844.html

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

H110Hawk posted:

Our $99 propane special made of the most middling quality chinesium has lasted for years. It's great for up to 4 people or like 1.5lbs of flank. It has basically three settings, off, not quite low enough, and high. I wouldn't bother with plumbing NG. The biggest gizmo would be some kind of sear station.

That's like the best description of an appliance I've ever heard.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I'd rather start with something that has a propane tank and an electric ignition because we rarely have more than 30 minutes to cook dinner. We both work and have a baby, so I'm not trying to smoke chicken for 4 hours.

I think I'll probably be getting the Weber Spirit with 3 burners (for that inevitable once or twice a year family cookout).

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
While we're on the subject of natural gas, I have a question regarding a fire pit table. Would this be a good location to put one? It is about 124" from floor to ceiling. We have a natural gas line that runs almost exactly where we would want it and hope we can take advantage even though this is a covered patio. Thoughts?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
What is directly above it? Could you install a vent fan?

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
I have a older home remodel question for you guys...

My dad's house was built in the .... 50s or 60s or 70s, not quite sure...

We're getting ready to replace the last of the windows, but the old walls are built from 2x4.

My question is on re-doing the outside of the house. Is my best option to add concrete board over the existing stuff? Or is drilling 2x4 or 2x6 to the outside and adding insulation and putting stuff over that possible?

I love this house and the location but I feel like the utilities part of it are a bit of a 'gotcha'...

If I was building a new house, I would probably use two, 2x6s for the outside wall. (You can never really go wrong with extra insulation...)

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 2, 2017

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I bought myself a Weber Genesis last year after my old grill rusted apart and have loved it so far. Use it 2-3 times a week even through the dead of winter. My parents won whatever the biggest Weber Summit series grill was back in ~2005 and that one still looks like new with regular use. My inlaws have a Spirit that's seen regular usage for 4 or 5 years now and it's holding up well, too.

I also regularly use my Genesis for smoking.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would say those webers are worth it, if you're really using them. I only indicated caution because I think the large majority of the public buys a grill for the purpose of aspirational grilling, but hardly ever use it and once it gets rusty sitting out in the weather for a few years, it loses most of its resale value.

$500 buys at least like five really nice home-delivered barbecue meals for a family so if you use your grill once or twice a year, it's likely not worth it. But if you use it regularly, as a cooking appliance $500 can be a bargain.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I abuse the poo poo out of my Spirit E-210 and I tend to go through drip trays about once a year, and the mechanism for hanging the propane bottle is pretty chinsy, but other than that it's pretty great.

I don't use a cover and it sits outside in harsh winters. Has also been moved three times.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Leperflesh posted:

I only indicated caution because I think the large majority of the public buys a grill for the purpose of aspiration grilling.

Yeah I understand the hesitation, but really truly our house doesn't actually have any ventilation above our range cooktop so basically I'm going to end up treating this thing like a goddamn cooktop and I'll probably end up doing bacon on it on a cast iron before too long.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Senor P. posted:

I have a older home remodel question for you guys...

My dad's house was built in the .... 50s or 60s or 70s, not quite sure...

We're getting ready to replace the last of the windows, but the old walls are built from 2x4.

My question is on re-doing the outside of the house. Is my best option to add concrete board over the existing stuff? Or is drilling 2x4 or 2x6 to the outside and adding insulation and putting stuff over that possible?

I love this house and the location but I feel like the utilities part of it are a bit of a 'gotcha'...

If I was building a new house, I would probably use two, 2x6s for the outside wall. (You can never really go wrong with extra insulation...)

If you're redoing the outside, you can get insulation blown into the walls (they cut a couple inch hole in every stud bay, and blow cellulose into the walls). That likely makes a lot more sense then trying to build another wall on the outside of the walls.

You can do this without redoing the outside too, but it's a ton of drywall to patch!

How's the attic insulation though? You'd probably get a lot more value out of air sealing there and adding insulation (and it's a lot cheaper)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

We don't have cooktop ventilation and I'm not sure why that would be a problem.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

QuarkJets posted:

What happens when you try to cook bacon? Does the smoke detector go off? What about when you try to sear a steak?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

What happens when you try to cook bacon? Does the smoke detector go off? What about when you try to sear a steak?

What happens? The kitchen smells like delicious bacon. The kitchen smells like delicious steak.

Get a photoelectric smoke detector and throw out your ionization and hybrid detectors, this is the recommendation made by the IAFF for home safety and coincidentally you won't get nuisance alarms from normal cooking activity

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

QuarkJets posted:

Any kind of high heat frying, searing, etc. tends to produce a fair amount of smoke. With a strong vent hood, you can suck it all out without filling the place up with smoke and odor. The little re-circulating things they often install instead work to a small degree, but it's world's away from a proper vent.

QuarkJets posted:

What happens? The kitchen smells like delicious bacon.

Delicious bacon often turns into stale bacon and instead of being vented out, the atomized grease that wafts with the smoke ends up on everything.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 2, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

QuarkJets posted:

What happens? The kitchen smells like delicious bacon. The kitchen smells like delicious steak.

Get a photoelectric smoke detector and throw out your ionization and hybrid detectors, this is the recommendation made by the IAFF for home safety and coincidentally you won't get nuisance alarms from normal cooking activity

Conveniently our house must have these installed because the detectors don't go off, but the amount of bacon smoke it produces is too much for me to handle.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Do you people not have windows in your kitchens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

We have windows AND french doors and we can still lay down enough thick bacon smoke that the dog thinks the house is burning down.