Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

My alternate choice for DP was Johnny Knoxville.

That doesn't have anything to do with the conversation really, I just like bringing it up.

Oooh, I could have hosed with him in a circa 2004 Deadpool. Who directs? Guy Ritchie? Robert Rodriguez? I'm trying to think of who was hot in the R-rated action comedy genre game at the time. They probably would have had Milla Jovovich as Domino. Was Schwarzeneggar governing at the time or could he have been Cable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
2004 Ron Perlman would have been a great Cable.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Triple H as Cable.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I don't care who gets the role of Cable, I just hope they don't modernize and make him more realistic. If he doesn't have pouches everywhere and a gun bigger than him, I'm going to be very sad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Cable should be a mo-cap performance, with an accurate Rob Liefeld anatomy model added in post.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jim Carrey should reprise his role as Cable Guy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Cable should be a mo-cap performance, with an accurate Rob Liefeld anatomy model added in post.

I would not stop laughing if the entire film doesn't have his feet in frame. I'm giggling right now just thinking about it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'd be okay with a CG Cable because then it would allow them to make his eyes and mouth super tight and scrunched up. Like one of those Ren & Stimpy extreme close-ups where Cable's squint and his gritted teeth are rendered in exquisite and horrific detail.

Medullah posted:

I would not stop laughing if the entire film doesn't have his feet in frame. I'm giggling right now just thinking about it.

Not seeing feet of the characters probably wouldn't be noticeable or all that funny unless they singled Cable out. Like a wide shot where Cable and others are standing and there's a lone pylon right in front of Cable's feet but no one else's. Bonus points if the prop/obstruction is totally incongruous to where they're standing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Lobok posted:

Not seeing feet of the characters probably wouldn't be noticeable or all that funny unless they singled Cable out. Like a wide shot where Cable and others are standing and there's a lone pylon right in front of Cable's feet but no one else's. Bonus points if the prop/obstruction is totally incongruous to where they're standing.

This is what I'm talking about. 90s comic nerds laughing their asses off while their friends looked at them confused.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Hey Cable, why are you standing over there? C'mon, join the group."

*Cable is standing ten feet away, just behind a low mound."

"Nah I'm good, I can hear you just fine."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He should be seen playing Fire Emblem Awakening at some point.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
You know that Deadpool is going to make constant references to Cable having normal feet, getting confused about which eye should be glowing and asking Cable if he left 30 patches at home before going on a mission.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Any time a character has an eyepatch or really obvious facial scar (or one glowing eye), I imagine the Continuity person on a movie rolling up their sleeves going "aw yeah, it's my time to shine!"

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I hope they have a scene where Cable and Deadpool are driving somewhere together and Deadpool lays out Cable's entire backstory and powerset and then calls him a Mary Sue at the end of it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Does anyone actually like Cable? Because I don't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Cable is good when he has a strong character to bounce off of and bad when you're supposed to think he's the coolest thing on Earth.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BiggerBoat posted:

He's good when used correctly. Like most characters. He's usually really good with Deadpool.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

A few years back I read the entire X-universe and Cable was one of the characters I was surprised to find that I really like. He's definitely at his strongest as part of an ensemble or even as a duo, but he's had a ton of good stories over the years and considering what a shitshow of retcons his existence is, has ended up a surprisingly rich and interesting character.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cable holds a special place in my heart because when I got into X-Men books in high school, it was right when X-force was starting (STILL HAVE ALL 5 POLYBAGGED COPIES). All of my friends were big X-Men fans, and me wanting to be different, I got into X-force. So yeah, the stories weren't great and the art was "unique", but it was the book that *I* was into and it was special.

Though I think I can actually deep down thank Liefeld for directing my comic tastes - I followed him to Image, which was pretty rough up front but I dug the idea of creator owned books. I stopped comics for a while but when I came back I ignored Marvel and started looking at more independent books along with Vertigo stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cable is really great but they're gonna have to do something to dial back his age sooner or later. He was in his 50's prior to Hope's birth and he spent 15 or more years running through time with her so he's pushing 70.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Cable is really great but they're gonna have to do something to dial back his age sooner or later. He was in his 50's prior to Hope's birth and he spent 15 or more years running through time with her so he's pushing 70.

They already did that in the Deadpool team-up where they restored his telekinetic powers and bionic arm.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I believe they already sort of "reset" him in Split Seconds.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

So do like they did with Magneto and give him a younger body?

Comic characters have no age, Peter Parker was in his 20s for like 40 years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In X-Force he was being cloned repeatedly too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

I believe they already sort of "reset" him in Split Seconds.

Ah poo poo, I never got around to reading that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Y'all really need to read the Joe Casey and Jose Ladronn run of Cable. poo poo's amazing.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

redbackground posted:

Y'all really need to read the Joe Casey and Jose Ladronn run of Cable. poo poo's amazing.

I was about to mention that run. I consider it started with James Robinson and Ladronn in Cable #45-50, then Casey took it over from #51 until... #74? Excellent work from everyone involved. I never thought Cable could be so cool. It took him out of the X-stuff and made him a player in the larger Marvel Universe.

I also liked Duane Swierczynski's more recent run of Cable, where he was traveling through time for years, protecting baby Hope from Bishop, who was murdering whole worlds and destroying entire timelines to corner them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
David Tischman's very brief run towards the end of the first volume of Cable is fantastic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cable's upcoming new comic is basically being pitched as Cable: Time Cop. Which I am so down for.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

zoux posted:

Joker's the best comic book villain because he's the only one that constantly fucks up every thread about comic books ever.

...Zack Snyder is the Joker?!

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
I will not be satisfied unless Cable is played by every actor mentioned in all these rumours. Something something about the future being unstable or Deadpool hitting Cyclops in the nuts every couple of minutes could work.

Time travel back to the future hijinks isn't out of the realm of possibilities with Cable.

Goffer fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 3, 2017

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I love Cable. There are so many ways you could use him, and I think the Psimitar is one of the coolest weapons in comics.

Also, Marvel vs Capcom 2

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Does anyone actually like Cable?

hell yeah

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a co-worker who says Cable is his favourite comic book character of all time.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Cable owns and they better preserve all the 90s.txt stuff about the character in the movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They'll need to find someone who never wants to have children (or has had all the children they want) to wear those singularity-crotch trousers.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

BiggerBoat posted:

Does anyone actually like Cable?

Totally! Duane Swierczynski's Cable run and Cable & Deadpool are two of my favourite superhero comics of all time.

Like with any character (and especially characters that are very 90s) Cable can be very good or very bad depending on the creative team.There have certainly been plenty of bad Cable stories, but I also think there have been enough good ones to cement him as a worthwhile character.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The one Cable run where he takes Hope and flees into the future is badass. The art sucks though, but the story is nuts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've never seen the movie version of The Spirit - how bad is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've never seen the movie version of The Spirit - how bad is it?

Truly awful. It was my Halloween costume one year before I had ever seen the movie, and I would not have even dressed up as that version of the Spirit if I knew how horrendous it would be.

• Locked thread