Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
I did an impulse pull mostly because I was thinking about tonight's dollar draw so I might as well get 3100 gems while banner 4 is still up.

Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

iPodschun posted:

I did an impulse pull mostly because I was thinking about tonight's dollar draw so I might as well get 3100 gems while banner 4 is still up.

Sorry.

My 3 Overstrike pull was so good, and now you have to come in here with all those, plus two other relics I really wanted, and, and... grumble grumble

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

iPodschun posted:

Sorry.

I admit, this made me think briefly about actually buying an 11-draw w/cash for once (only ever done 100-gem pulls), but I think I used up all my luck earlier.

12 mythril saved for the next fest so far!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
So I pulled my first ever OSBs, ashe and orlandeuaoulu. How should I go about using these and is one noticeably better than the other? I have neither character levelled.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Farg posted:

So I pulled my first ever OSBs, ashe and orlandeuaoulu. How should I go about using these and is one noticeably better than the other? I have neither character levelled.

Actually, you do have Orlandeau leveled, because he comes at level 50 (or at least, he did if you got him through the event... I'm not sure about buying him with a soul). Also it is the better OSB. Use it.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Farg posted:

Orlandeau's OSB includes a buff that speeds up your actions for the next 25 game seconds. He can also use Lifesiphon to build gauge faster, while Ashe doesn't have access to it or Wrath. He's the one to build around IMO.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

iPodschun posted:

Orlandeau's OSB includes a buff that speeds up your actions for the next 25 game seconds. He can also use Lifesiphon to build gauge faster, while Ashe doesn't have access to it or Wrath. He's the one to build around IMO.

Oh, and he also has great stats and access to all of the most useful physical attack skills other than Support.

Ashe is worth using too though; she is one of the better mages in the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just found out that there's going to be nothing for Agrias on the next FFT banner. Time to dump all my mythril on Anniversary 4 and pray I don't get a million OK rods.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Fister Roboto posted:

I just found out that there's going to be nothing for Agrias on the next FFT banner. Time to dump all my mythril on Anniversary 4 and pray I don't get a million OK rods.

999,999 OK rods later, you fall just short and technically received your prayer.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Yeah, Agrias (and Alphinaud) are no shows for the next Tactics and XIV events. So you're waiting 6+ months for another appearance on a Banner.

Both of Alphinaud's relics and Agrias' BSB did show up during Extreme Fest, but that's not guaranteed to happen again.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Thinking I should back out from the realm dungeons for now and spend all of my stamina on leveling with orbfest while it's around. I need to level some people I have soul breaks for and am starting to have trouble in realms due to lack of flexibility available. The III-18 dungeon where you fight Leviathan just kicked my rear end. Leviathan took out my lower leveled shellga caster before I got a turn and then literally drowned the team.

What's the most efficient exp per stamina difficulty? Also the exp earned is shared between people who can gain experience, right? So I should use 4 capped characters to powerlevel one rookie?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I did Nemesis without hastega immediately available. It was a bit tricky surviving until turn 3 when Ramza had a full bar, but was doable.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Thinking I should back out from the realm dungeons for now and spend all of my stamina on leveling with orbfest while it's around. I need to level some people I have soul breaks for and am starting to have trouble in realms due to lack of flexibility available. The III-18 dungeon where you fight Leviathan just kicked my rear end. Leviathan took out my lower leveled shellga caster before I got a turn and then literally drowned the team.

What's the most efficient exp per stamina difficulty? Also the exp earned is shared between people who can gain experience, right? So I should use 4 capped characters to powerlevel one rookie?

Level capped characters still draw from the XP pool, even if they don't benefit from it, unless they're dead or petrified when the battle ends.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Capped characters count against the total so its wasted xp to do that.

What I'm doing right now is running the highest difficulty with two characters both with the +XP RMs on them.

So far this orbfest i've taken TG Cid, Yuna, Kain, Cloud, Sephiroth, and Celes from varying degrees of 50 to 99. Most were 80+ except for Kain. Rosa is very close to 99 also, Ashe is getting around toward 90 now and Golbez was in the 80s when I stopped leveling him.

But it depends heavily on what difficulty you're able to handle. If you can do the hardest but only with 5 people, I'd say do it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I spent the rest of my mythril and did two more pulls, and got a Saintly Excalibur and a Durandal. That's pretty good, but I just wanted something for Agrias :negative:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I grinded out enough mythril for one more pull on Banner 4 and got Ashe's OSB. I was hoping for more, but since I got her BSB earlier, it's not a bad result. I took her to fight Nemesis (the normal difficulties, not the crazy one) and chaining the BSB into the OSB is incredibly satisfying. I would've really liked anything for Agrias and Orlandeau's OSB to pair with his BSB, but I can't complain. this has turned Ashe into my top mage DPS.
I could probably grind another 50 mythril out for banner 5, but grinding yesterday really burnt me out on this game.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Oh wow glad I asked before I executed that plan.

My people needing levels are 1-30. The second hardest should be doable with 2 veterans coming along. Thanks

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I could probably squeeze out another 50 pull before the banner goes away if I grinded out some story dungeons. Do the anniversary record missions only count for the normal mode dungeons, or will I get credit for doing the elite version?

e: classic only apparently :negative:

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 2, 2017

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
I could use some help planning my team. Have been playing for about two months and just recently got into early endgame stuff. Right now I can reliably clear D100-120ish, but am having a lot of trouble with Ultimates.

My main team right now:

Cloud Lv 80
Lifesiphon R3
Double Cut R1
SSB: Blade Beam

Alphinaud Lv 80
Ruinga L3
Curaja L1
BSB: Aerial Blast
Mako Might

Y'shtola Lv 80
Curaja L2
Power Breakdown L1
SSB: Aetherial Pulse

Lightning Lv 80
Lifesiphon R3
Double Cut R1
OSB: Thunderfall

Tyro Lv 99
Full Break L1
Armor Breakdown L1
SB: Sentinel's Grimoire
USB: Warder's Apocrypha
Dr. Mog's Teachings

Basic strategy so far has been to throw up SG, Aetherial Pulse, Warder's Apocrypha situationally. Tyro applies debuffs otherwise. Y'shtola heals primarily and debuffs when she has a chance. Alphinaud nukes, or heals if necessary. Cloud and Lightning Lifesiphon and SB when available. It sort of works, but falls apart in the higher level fights.

Here are my relics:

OSB:
Bartz - Hand of the Crystals
Lightning - Thunderfall

BSB:
Maria - Meteor XVI (x2)
Alphinaud - Aerial Blast
Agrias - Divine Ruination
Gilgamesh - Gilgamesh Morphing Time
Squall - Lion's Roar
Seifer - Zanetusken Reverse
Terra - Blood of the Espers (x2)
Selphie - Strange Vision
Relm - Star Prism

SSB:
Ramza - Shout
Y'shtola - Aetherial Pulse
Cloud - Blade Beam
Bartz - Trueblade of Legend (x4)
Gabranth - Fulminating Oblivion
Ashe - Maelstrom's Bolt
Zell - Different Beat
Zell - Combat King
Snow - Entrench
Selphie - Dreamstage
Terra - Magitek Missle (x3)
Yuna - Miracle Veil
Larsa - Archadian Draught
Vanille - Miracle Prayer (x6)
Eiko - Flames of Rebirth (x2)
Quistis - Mighty Guard
Krile - Sheepsong

Unique:
Tyro - Sentinel's Grimoire (x3)
Laguna - Visions of the Past
Rinoa - Angel Wing Quake

I managed to clear the Hall of Dragons and Hall of Betrayal by using Edge's SSB spending mythril on a revive for each fight, so I've got two MC3's I can spend as well. Also have Maria at Lv 51 and Gilgamesh at Lv 50. Any thoughts on where to go next?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

You have all the pieces needed for a tremendously potent mage team. Maria, Alphinaud, Krile, Tyro, and Relm. Two high damage dealers, a faithga/hastega, a support 5 who can wall, and a good medica option. Mako Might and Dr Mog Teachings on Tyro/Krile, your two best +magic damage RMs on Maria/Alphinaud (Vivi's Devotion is the best at that), and either doublecast white magic or a +SB generating SB on Relm. This also gives you extreme flexibility in your roaming warrior slot, but I would recommend a second stacking faithga, something like Onion Knight BSB or Cid Raines BSB which are both readily available. This team is almost identical to the team I have been running for the last few months and will obliterate most bosses with little issue.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 2, 2017

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
did a dollar pull and got Alp's SSB. I already had his Viel of Whatever burst.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

sevenflow posted:

How am I play game

on top of what Knox Zone said, if you want/need to run a physical team, Ramza's shout is absolutely vital to pumping out enough DPS. Personally I'd pick Agrias and another BSB user over Cloud with Blade Beam and Lightning's subpar OSB. Agris can pack proshellga and still have utlity with her burst commands, and in general, bursts provide a lot more utility and flexibility than other SBs, especially ones like Blade Beam that are just straight damage. For instance, if you're fighting a boss who uses a lot of single target physicals, Gilgamesh's BSB is going to practically give you the fight. It looks like you've also got a couple of Medica BSBs on Selphie and Relm. Relm's BSB is really solid, it has good healing AND Last Stand? Yes, please.

Basically the set up I go for, and which seems pretty common, is:
1 dedicated healer
1 support unit to do mitigation (either breakdowns or boosts, usually both with units like Ramza)
2-3 DPS, possibly 1 unit doing something weird like Tauntilate or status effects if needed.

Starting with that and then adjusting it on a fight-by-fight basis has worked really well. The only fights I can think of where I stray from that template are Nightmare fights, which are all gimmicks anyway.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I did a couple of dumb single pulls to try and get Cids osb. My 2nd one pulled an osb! Beatrix's! Wait.. what. Oh.. oh, I was pulling on the wrong banner. Okay game. Okay.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Charles Bukowski posted:

I did a couple of dumb single pulls to try and get Cids osb. My 2nd one pulled an osb! Beatrix's! Wait.. what. Oh.. oh, I was pulling on the wrong banner. Okay game. Okay.

It's a pretty cool MND sword and a decent OSB!

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Did one last 11x on banner 4.

3 normal rainbows, all dupes, still no BSBs.
Sorry Agrias :(

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Dollar draw got me Dagger's Dagger, so now I have both of her Bursts :confuoot:.

I've gone from 0 to 3 Garnet relics in the past week. It was one of the three items I actually wanted on the banner too (the USB and OSB), not that I was actually going to pull. I guess it'll get some use on holy-weak bosses and status-effect heavy bosses for the Ultra Cure command, even if the Imperil Burst is better.

It's also a Lightning+ weapon if I get another nice lightning burst (my second after Dagger's other BSB), and a nice Ninja tool, although with some of Ashe's Mage Swords and Hope's OSB lying around, the only Ninja who didn't have a MAG weapon was 4* Ninja Galuf. The MND will be nice though, both for dealing with status effects and if I ever want a Paladin to heal.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 3, 2017

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Stuck with my original plan and dropped 150 mythril on banner 5.

Got 2 axes (yay FF1 synergy, which I did not have), Cid's spear (yay FF7 shout for CM, FF7 synergy), Omnirod (Booooo), Luneth's burst (+wind weapon is cool, Luneth is cool), and Eiko's USB.

Pretty good results for me for this event overall, and I can comfortably start saving again.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Got Luneth BSB on my first pull. I really want to pull again for Vanille's BSB because I've been chasing it since it was released bug it's the only thing on the banner I want now so eh.

I also got Jecht's stupid ball. Lol. Blitzball. Lol

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Blitzlol

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Got Luneth BSB on my first pull. I really want to pull again for Vanille's BSB because I've been chasing it since it was released bug it's the only thing on the banner I want now so eh.

I also got Jecht's stupid ball. Lol. Blitzball. Lol

It's a pretty decent SB even if it's a bad item.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

5* on my 100 gems and it was Jecht's The Blitz. I guess it's a burst? Sure, why not. I'll add him to the SB mastery queue.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Also looking at what you have, why not just:

Orlandeau (OSB)
Agrias (Imperil Holy & OSB)
WoL (or Locke or Cecil, for more Physical Holy. Locke can bring Thief Debuffs too to help Ramza on support duty in addition to his really fast OSB)
Ramza (Shout and Support)
Eiko (You have her burst, which is great for physical teams because of +crit)

That stacks Holy and Physical buffs into a pretty scary team for most stuff. You've also got a crazy amount of good stuff to make Mage teams, or mixed teams once you get a MC3 for OK. I mean, really, you have more and better relics than I do and I can clear most content now (at least up through U++).

Thanks for this advice, I am starting to get into the groove with this and it's kicking rear end. In addition to that, I just got Eiko's USB as my pity 11th item, so fate is at my back or some such.

Random question: When people say "proshellga", is that just to refer to both abilities at once, or is there a combo ability out there that doesn't come from a SB?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just the two separate buffs, although there are some soul breaks that apply both at the same time.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
They're referring to both separately, excluding specific SBs, there is no Protectga/Shellga combo ability. I normally use Proshellga as a substitute for "has White 4+ and can carry Protectga and/or Shellga". I'd also use it to refer to a character with Bard 4, as Enveloping Etude and Spellbend Etude have the exact same effect as Protectga and Shellga.

Since you normally don't want two white mages on a team, someone who can cast Proshellga but are used for DPS/Support are useful. Most are Paladins like Agrias, Beatrix or P. Cecil, but there are also people like Rufus, Noel, and characters who can use the Bard equivalents of Protectga and Shellga, like Kefka and Rikku.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 3, 2017

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Grinded back to 50 Mithril again, but Phase 5 was up. Eh, I'll pull on the IX banner.

3/11 Garnet BSB, Quina BSB, Quina SSB.

I also have the Bistro fork so the game really wants me to use Quina it seems.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, Y'shtola's pretty much secured her place as my healer with this pull.

My team has shaped up pretty nicely. Now if only I could get a decent weapon for Refia...

https://www.ffrkcentral.com/profile/mBGE

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 3, 2017

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, Y'shtola's pretty much secured her place as my healer with this pull.

My team has shaped up pretty nicely. Now if only I could get a decent weapon for Refia...

https://www.ffrkcentral.com/profile/mBGE

Y'sh secured that slot when you pulled Asylum. As for the Omnirod? Master it for the +10 mind and set that SB on the shelf. There are very very very very few instances where that is ever a better button to press than Asylum.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Y'sh secured that slot when you pulled Asylum. As for the Omnirod? Master it for the +10 mind and set that SB on the shelf. There are very very very very few instances where that is ever a better button to press than Asylum.

Now they have the ability to start with the SB and transition to Asylum using Wrath. More utility is always good.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Did 3 pulls on 3 so I wasn't planning on pulling on 5 (had a bunch of dupes on the other banners), but was grumpy about never pulling more than 1 item in a while, so I pulled and went 4/11. 2 Omni rod (eh), 1 Misteltein (obviously awesome; so I guess I have Yuna for mage teams, Eiko for physical teams and now Vanille for hybrid teams and instant heals), and Zidane's OSB! I went from thinking about dropping the game to being hyped about my favorite dude getting a good move (I have his en-air SSB to boot). They have that gambling response down pat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Am I generally better off rushing one guy at a time up to the level cap or running a full party through orbfest/XP dungeons? I've been doing parties just for safety/feeling like it was more productive to have a bunch of guys level up together, but I'm wondering if I'm just squandering what time I have left with these dungeons. I've got a bunch of guys in the 65-80 range, a couple in the 80s, and only OK at 99; but I also have a whole lot of new characters with new SBs I need to master and otherwise get them from up from level 1.

• Locked thread