Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hard mode sucks.

It's not even harder in any meaningful sense, I think the most interesting thing is that it spawned a level 12 Giant Robot guy during my trek through the Apartment Complex, but in return for slightly remixed enemy placement I take one hit and I'm dead from basically everybody and you cannot clear that massive battle before the boss without taking a few glancing blows (That totally kill you in hard)

I'm back to Normal now, gently caress it. I wish this game's difficulties were better designed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Hard revolves around managing space and knowing the range of your attacks so you can best avoid risking damage. It's an entirely different approach than in most character action games and action RPGs but that's why I'm having fun with it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nina posted:

Hard revolves around managing space and knowing the range of your attacks so you can best avoid risking damage. It's an entirely different approach than in most character action games and action RPGs but that's why I'm having fun with it.

I would like it more if it felt like the early game is designed around it. Straight up, you have to commit to about an hour's play in a combat scenario where death results in a credits sequence and then you have to reset the entire game.

Hard mode, as described, should raise enemy danger rating but not to an extreme setting, as Very Hard would do.

But in Hard mode, the only things that do not instantly kill you are the little guys' most basic attacks, so it seems the game can't keep to its own standards of difficulty and balanced hard mode poorly.

It's crushingly punishing, moreso than any equivalent mode in, say, Bayonetta 2.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The thing is though that taking damage in this game is 99% of the time player error and there's one fight which is really bad where you can't help but take damage because line of sight is trash and things that should block attacks don't. (You can totally do it without being hit but it's not realistic for your average player who isn't purposely trying to avoid damage).

You can totally get through that area without getting hit at all though and if you're at the desert, you're well past the point where you can easily go make yourself a +6 defense chip of your liking to help counter all of these issues. The game fails at telling people to go do this kind of thing.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 2, 2017

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
That, and you've got cheap and absurdly powerful consumable items. Double melee damage and double melee defense for thirty seconds, for the price of Pretty loving Trivial?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Exercu posted:

That, and you've got cheap and absurdly powerful consumable items. Double melee damage and double melee defense for thirty seconds, for the price of Pretty loving Trivial?

Yeah there are no ranks to worry about here. Chug those potions

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I guess I'll just try to git gud then.

Though how can I change what items are on my shortcuts menu? I'd like to add teh melee defense items there, but I'm stuck with three heals and a salve.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You can't, and it annoys the crap out of me, but the same touchpad press that lets you switch between pods gives you fast-ish access to weapons sets and the consumables.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I just realised during my hard mode playthrough that B routes intro has checkpoints. They realised the intro needed checkpoints in B route but didnt put any in A route right after the flying part. :shepface:

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I'm a couple hours into route 'C', and I just noticed that my android flashes red if I hold down the dash button for a couple seconds. What's that all about?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I'm a couple hours into route 'C', and I just noticed that my android flashes red if I hold down the dash button for a couple seconds. What's that all about?

It gives you a temporary damage boost. I'm not sure how long it lasts.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
100 years

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
0.68 seconds

For an android, that is basically an eternity.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 2, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I love the fact that the hackable chests have a little robot head and eyes on them.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay fished route C/D and E yesterday, i teared up too. a question though, What's the deal with Gestalts and Replicates? i know it's a Neir one thing but the game doesn't really explain who or what they are very well. my assumption was Gestalts are human minds and Replicates where artificial bodies that gained consciousness. did replicates become androids or did they die out too? Is this all explained in Neir 1?

Also when 9s finds out that Yorha units blackbox are made from machine cores hit me hard. it really makes the "you're not so different, you and I" ring all the more true. It makes me wonder if this is why 2B hated killing 9S. Even though his memories are transferred to a new body it's effectively just a clone. When Pascal says he core's contain the consciousness of the machines then each 2B and 9S is there own being. hosed up.

e: also this game shouldn't have levels. it makes replaying the early chapters a joke with random spikes in gently caress you's (Moose). If they made progress tied to just gear upgrades then i think the game would be way more repayable.

OmanyteJackson fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 2, 2017

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Exercu posted:

If you don't have 99 Large Heals by midway through Route B, I dunno what to say.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

OmanyteJackson posted:

Okay fished route C/D and E yesterday, i teared up too. a question though, What's the deal with Gestalts and Replicates? i know it's a Neir one thing but the game doesn't really explain who or what they are very well. my assumption was Gestalts are human minds and Replicates where artificial bodies that gained consciousness. did replicates become androids or did they die out too? Is this all explained in Neir 1?

You're more or less right about how Gestalts and Replicants worked (although Gestalts are "souls"). All the gestalts and replicants died because Nier, the main character of the first game (who was a replicant), murdered his gestalt, who was the final boss. Turns out, his specific Gestalt was the only thing keeping the other Gestalts sane due to some convoluted bullshit! As a result, all the Gestalts went crazy and died off, and replicants couldn't be reproduced without their associated Gestalt, so they all died off too.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

If you don't have 99 Large Heals by midway through Route B, I dunno what to say.

The second I I saw I could by 99 heals in route A I was very glad I had an autoheal chip

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

OmanyteJackson posted:

To expand a bit on Zinkraptor's post: the general idea is that after Drakengard 1's ending E, where the final boss dies in *our* world rather than Caim's, the fallout from a god dying in our world creates a fast-spreading disease that is untreatable - White Chloronation. Since blatant-rear end magic is also introduced when Caim's dragon dies in The Realsies too, though, the eggheads of the day get an idea - human consciousness will be detached from our actual bodies and exist as "Gestalts", everyone's bodies will die to Chloronation, and then the mental image of who the Gestalt is (basically) is used to produce a new human body - a Replicant. The idea was for people to go Gestalt, wait for Chloronation to just burn itself out after "killing" all infectable bodies, and then we'd all hop back into our Replicant bodies, indistinguishable from our originals, and humankind would continue on its merry way. The androids were initially developed mostly to oversee the process and watch for any abnormalities.

The problem was, the Replicants, being perfect human bodies, developed actual consciousness, which they weren't supposed to - so anyone Gestalt couldn't actually fuse back into their bodies. Needless to say, this created A Mess. Play Nier to find out exactly how it all ended. ;)

quote:

Also when 9s finds out that Yorha units blackbox are made from machine cores hit me hard. it really makes the "you're not so different, you and I" ring all the more true. It makes me wonder if this is why 2B hated killing 9S. Even though his memories are transferred to a new body it's effectively just a clone. When Pascal says he core's contain the consciousness of the machines then each 2B and 9S is there own being. hosed up.

It's actually also why 2B makes such a big deal about not dying, or at least dying super safe with an immediate backup - she doesn't know about the machine core stuff, but she's keenly aware of the transience of android consciousness. She's had to reset 9S a bunch of times and he's never quite the same person each time, and she's terrified of losing part of who she is. The implication seems to be that she's managed to survive as one continuous consciousness for a long-rear end time, by android standards.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Wow the Route C hacking resource tower, this sucks super bad and I hate it a lot. :argh:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

SpaceDrake posted:

It's actually also why 2B makes such a big deal about not dying, or at least dying super safe with an immediate backup - she doesn't know about the machine core stuff, but she's keenly aware of the transience of android consciousness. She's had to reset 9S a bunch of times and he's never quite the same person each time, and she's terrified of losing part of who she is. The implication seems to be that she's managed to survive as one continuous consciousness for a long-rear end time, by android standards.
It's mostly because she loves 9S and he always forgets who she is. It's why she's extra relieved at the end of route A - he's unkillable and there's no way she can carry out her mission.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

No Wave posted:

It's mostly because she loves 9S and he always forgets who she is. It's why she's extra relieved at the end of route A - he's unkillable and there's no way she can carry out her mission.

Considering how androids are with not being able to fulfill their programmed incentives that'd be a horrible outcome though. It's how the whole status quo got as bad as it is

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ixjuvin posted:

Wow the Route C hacking resource tower, this sucks super bad and I hate it a lot. :argh:

Yeah, it's pretty hard at the end

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Despite recommendations, I finally finished hard mode prologue after 3 hours.

The trick is;

- Get enough exp for level 4.
- Literally only ever use your ranged weapons, except to chop up bullet-proof shields.
- Grab every healing ware scattered throughout the level.
- Heal to 100% every single time you are hit, even if it's just 50hp short of full, you have so many small heals that you're more likely to die with them.

The only part I had trouble with was the one-hit kill from the final boss guy. I finally just used the melee-defense for 15 seconds item in case I got hit, although I have no idea if it saves you from being 1-shotted as I managed to avoid being smashed before I found out. When you get the big arm then you've basically won afaik.

Fun game anyway.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The Iron Pipe weapon story is pure :smith: if you've played the first Nier.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Congrats, you've completed the most difficult part of the whole game.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

The trick is;

- Literally only ever use your ranged weapons, except to chop up bullet-proof shields.
- Heal to 100% every single time you are hit, even if it's just 50hp short of full, you have so many small heals that you're more likely to die with them.

The only part I had trouble with was the one-hit kill from the final boss guy. I finally just used the melee-defense for 15 seconds item in case I got hit, although I have no idea if it saves you from being 1-shotted as I managed to avoid being smashed before I found out. When you get the big arm then you've basically won afaik.

Fun game anyway.

Also the running heavy attack is your best friend because it has great range and AoE. Just spam that while shooting

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Route E got me pretty good because the first message I got was something like "The bullets rain down endlessly because you are worthless 神秘 North Korea" and I thought that was pretty weird even for Yoko Taro but then more messages appeared and I realized they were user generated

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
BUT THEN YOU DIE AND ALL YOUR CHIPS ARE GONE AND YOU GOTTA GET THEM BACK

but then it KILLS YOU in ONE HIT and you lost EVERYTHING and then you are VERY ANGRY

EDIT: I mean gently caress me, but Dark Souls at least didn't unequip all my gear every time I died

EDIT EDIT: gently caress you and gently caress this. Hard mode can throw enemies seven levels higher than me at me, Hard mode can punish me harshly for dying, Hard Mode can give me not enough health to survive basic attacks, but if it's going to do all three, then I'm not even going to loving bother this is abject horse poo poo

do you know how many enemies can bust out shockwave moves that kill you in one hit the answer is a surprisingly large loving amount

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 2, 2017

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Ending E the mean phrases are there so that you have to make the conscious effort to send a supportive message. If you completed it and then saw that the only choices were all nice things then it would feel forced.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Important Pod Appreciation Post for PC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQM9SI4Aomc

To pet, simply control the camera with your mouse and rapidly move your mouse in small circles, it should work after few times.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

but then it KILLS YOU in ONE HIT and you lost EVERYTHING and then you are VERY ANGRY

EDIT: I mean gently caress me, but Dark Souls at least didn't unequip all my gear every time I died

EDIT EDIT: gently caress you and gently caress this. Hard mode can throw enemies seven levels higher than me at me, Hard mode can punish me harshly for dying, Hard Mode can give me not enough health to survive basic attacks, but if it's going to do all three, then I'm not even going to loving bother this is abject horse poo poo

do you know how many enemies can bust out shockwave moves that kill you in one hit the answer is a surprisingly large loving amount

you know you could play on normal if your having that much trouble

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

The trick is;

Fun game anyway.

No wonder you kept playing SFV.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

holy poo poo then don't play on hard dude, there's no achievement for it or anything

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I did not know you could pet your pod on PC and now the opportunity has passed. :smith:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cardboard Box posted:

holy poo poo then don't play on hard dude, there's no achievement for it or anything

I've switched back to normal, but I'm a bit frustrated, I generally enjoy hard mode difficulties in games. I mean, I beat Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne on hard mode, and I've never shied away from Platinum games challenge modes before. So it feels extra frustrating to struggle so much with this game's harder difficulties, especially since it serves to highlight all the things I dislike about the combat mechanics.

EDIT: I petted my pod and now I am calmer

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah i wish there was a better middle ground because i never found normal very challenging but hard is so beyond me

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Not all hard modes are created equal, sometimes they are very poorly implemented

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Dias posted:

No wonder you kept playing SFV.

I'm a masochist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost