Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

precision posted:

What is the dark souls of board games?

Sorry?

Parcheesi

e: or maybe that'd be Demon Souls to Sorry?'s Dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Why is polygon reporting on Shrek anyway?

they do some wild stuff from what i've while drudging through their video page for that good good mcelroy + nick content

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

precision posted:

Sorry?

You should be

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lizard Wizard posted:

You should be

She told me she was 1000 in dragon years!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've been playing Fallout Shelter on Steam and that is a game that should've had more thought put into what its mechanics are saying. It is really weird that the optimal strategy is to have every single woman in your vault pregnant at all times, and that being pregnant makes them flee in terror from all forms of danger, which the men must handle.

I mean I doubt anyone making the game was trying to be gross but it is basically the ending of Dr. Strangelove.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

precision posted:

She told me she was 1000 in dragon years!

I'm not touching that one with a washing pole.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

precision posted:

Sorry?

Agricola. Play it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

I've been playing Fallout Shelter on Steam and that is a game that should've had more thought put into what its mechanics are saying. It is really weird that the optimal strategy is to have every single woman in your vault pregnant at all times, and that being pregnant makes them flee in terror from all forms of danger, which the men must handle.

I mean I doubt anyone making the game was trying to be gross but it is basically the ending of Dr. Strangelove.

That game is the epitome of "mobile game that could have been fun if they added in actual gameplay stuff." Such a wasted opportunity.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8KmxWkMs3g

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Run it at 320x240

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
In Skyrim, does doing the side quests effect the ending? Like, if I complete the werewolf and thief quest lines before I finish the plot quests, will the game end with Skyrim controlled by the werewolf Mafia?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Run it at 320x240

ps4 doesnt have those options and it makes me sad

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIqswM_hL0U

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

In Skyrim, does doing the side quests effect the ending? Like, if I complete the werewolf and thief quest lines before I finish the plot quests, will the game end with Skyrim controlled by the werewolf Mafia?

Hehe, not in the least

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i have been playing that game again, its pretty good and is funnier then it has any right to be.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's a charmingly naive question to ask about a Bethesda game.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So the Touch the Skyrim series taught me that YouTube is perfectly cool with virtual fantasy dry humping, I didn't think that'd be the case

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i have been playing that game again, its pretty good and is funnier then it has any right to be.

At the very least, it is Most Accurate Game Title 2016. I think at least 5% of my playtime was taking photos of dogs
http://i.imgur.com/U0UISP8.gifv

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

That's a charmingly naive question to ask about a Bethesda game.

What's the deal with Bethesda games?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Guy Goodbody posted:

What's the deal with Bethesda games?

the only time sidequests have ever affected the main quest in bethesda games is morrowind letting you skip half the main quest if you've done so many sidequests that literally everyone in the region knows you're a super badass

fallout 3 didn't have sidequests affect the ending in any noticable way and it was an entry in a series of games, that end listing off the effects of every sidequest you've done

you can skip a part of the main quest in skyrim if you've already gone through one of the two war questlines though but it's literally skipping one quest that takes like twenty minutes

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thinking about it now, the whole "war never changes" tagline that Fallout games do is pretty silly. Because war has changed, that's why the world's a radioactive wasteland right now

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Remember that in Fallout 3 Bethesda wanted to force you into one of two dumb endgame decisions even though there were other options that would make infinitely more sense, and if you tried to do the smart thing the game handwaved it away with "This is your destiny."

People complained so much that they added those other options into DLC but even then if you chose the actual smart thing to do the game called you a coward for some reason

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

as a millenial, i find it VERY OFFENSIVE

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the best part is there's literally no reason you should sacrifice yourself because the process is so slow that immediately after coming out of a coma long after you've purified the water, there's still not enough water to go around and they still need your help to deal with people stealing it, so if you died activating the purifier your already dumb, pointless sacrifice would just make things even more difficult for everyone

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What games do the "your actions determine the outcome" thing well?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Undertale

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Desperate Character posted:

probably the kick-started dark souls board game which is coming out soon :v:

I got it mostly just for the models because you got a bunch of the best npc ones if you pre-ordered

Yeah I think the game looks dumb but I regret not backing it just for all the figures. They'd be great for D&D or whatever.

Hopefully I can get them on ebay for pretty cheap or they sell all the bonus models for something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

Until Dawn

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Fallout: New Vegas. Alpha Protocol.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Guy Goodbody posted:

Iji!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I was really mad that the game was rude about sending the guy immune to radiation into the radioactive chamber, which seemed to be the logical loving solution to the problem

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Guy Goodbody posted:

If you can stand janky combat; Alpha Protocol.

Speaking of jank are there any other non-CCG games that do a 'play to earn credits to buy booster pack' unlock system? I enjoy Mass Effect Andromeda when it works and right now it isn't working, and I need my fix of opening random packs to hope for cool poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Molyneux on his new game: The only thing I think is wise to tell you is that it's very different. One of the things I am proud of is the number of different genres that I've attempted. At the moment, it's hard to peg what genre Legacy falls into.

On No Man's Sky: I worked with his wife on all three of the Fable games, incredibly closely. I went to see him. I really felt for him. People don't realize, for me and for him, it was like an ice-cold dagger in the heart. Every game that I work on, I put so much of my heart into it. And always, it's never quite what it should be. If you approach it without knowing anything about it, it's an incredible experience – flying from a planet, no loading, no nothing, into space and then realizing that all those little dots you're seeing, you can visit. Bloody hell, that's pretty incredible, isn't it? I'm not sure if this analogy works, but it's a little bit like how the Lord of the Rings films never worked for me. They were incredibly good, but that world was so defined in my mind by reading the book. In a way, No Man's Sky was the same.

mutata posted:

That Molyneux interview was about the least exciting or alarming thing I could think of. In fact, compared to the past he seemed downright subdued. Y'all are barking at shadows.

Yeah, I was reading this article getting my pitchforks out because I love to hate on Molyneux for his complete bullshit, but... I dunno, it sounds like he actually loving learned something:

quote:

What are you up to these days?
I've defined myself as a coder again. The last time I did real coding was when I was working on a game called Black & White. I thought, "I'm going to go back and do that again, learn it all over again, because that would be the most efficient way for me to get my idea across."

So I started coding. When you're in your 50s, it's rather like being on a couch for 20 years and getting up and entering the London marathon. It's not a pretty sight at the start. But now I feel so much more empowered than I have for years. I've been working on this game called Legacy, and I can – rather like the first game I really did, which was called Populous – just try an idea and see if it works. I was in the hotel this morning, I was having breakfast, I was coding Legacy, and I had an idea. Within an hour, I was actually playing with the thing.

What else can you tell me about Legacy?
I think it would be a mistake to talk about it.

I think one of the biggest mistakes he made with Fable and Godus was he was just the ideas guy, so divorced from the programming that he just promised the world and his poor engineers had to try to make his dreams a reality. The guy getting back into programming is like the best thing that could happen to him, it'll force him to realize what is and isn't feasible before he starts making promises and coming up with lofty ideals.

And he actually doesn't want to talk about his new game yet? Like, holy poo poo, he FINALLY learned!

E: Oh wait though

quote:

Did Bryan Henderson, the player who was supposed to become the "god of gods" in Godus for finding the inside of the Curiosity cube, ever get his prize?
That was a real problem. The only thing to say is, Yes. You'll remember that Godus is a free-to-play game. And while 33,000 people are playing the game, 33,000 people aren't spending money on the game. So in terms of pure profit, actually Godus has not quite even broken even. We got Kickstarter money of about $1 million. After you're done with the pledging and all that stuff, that works out to about $400,000. But Godus cost about five times that to make. We really struggled, at times, to finish Godus. I'd love to pay Bryan money. It would be insane to do it just for a publicity stunt, because that's what it would be.

Yeah that's horseshit Peter. That's horseshit. It was a publicity stunt, you already pulled it, and then you didn't follow through. "oh but we didn't actually profit" oh shut up.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 2, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

codenameFANGIO posted:

I was really mad that the game was rude about sending the guy immune to radiation into the radioactive chamber, which seemed to be the logical loving solution to the problem

That was indeed the dumbest thing in decision-making story games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, I was reading this article getting my pitchforks out because I love to hate on Molyneux for his complete bullshit, but... I dunno, it sounds like he actually loving learned something:

He's said this exact same thing every single time

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

bloodychill posted:

That was indeed the dumbest thing in decision-making story games.

Not only could you have two different companions that are unaffected by radiation, you had another one that gets healed from it, why would you make a radioactive room be the big life-changing finale of your game

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I've heard Switches are hard to come by but the Target I was just at had like 8 of them. If you're in Austin and want a Switch. go to Target I guess.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Not only could you have two different companions that are unaffected by radiation, you had another one that gets healed from it, why would you make a radioactive room be the big life-changing finale of your game

And then having the gall to call you a coward for it. Calling you a coward for trying to have a person who doesn't die fix the McGuffin was ironically the most cowardly story-telling decision Bethesda has ever made.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Fallout: New Vegas

Might as well add Mass Effect and Fable to the list

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

tap my mountain posted:

Might as well add Mass Effect

Blue Green Red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just realized, MGS1 has a great your actions effect the ending thing. You can either do the thing or not. It's not a big moral choic3 or anything, you either stand up to the torture or you don't.

• Locked thread