Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

potatoducks posted:

Hahahaha gently caress academic medicine I guess.

It is shocking that this administration has not done a single thing that I support. I'm not even liberal. Where are my tax cuts at least.

Do you make over $500k a year? If the answer is no, then congratulations your tax money has been specially chosen as the most patriotic of tax money and will be used for the most honorable and American thing possible - to make up the revenue lost due to tax cuts on the rich and corporations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

You know this started under Obama, right?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/20/...swer-is-no.html

Yes we can't

In any other developed country Obama would be considered a socially liberal right-winger so :shrug:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

In any other developed country Obama would be considered a socially liberal right-winger so :shrug:

Well when you have law schools using loan forgiveness to get even more money from the Feds then maybe it needed a bit of reform:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/08/09/how-georgetown-law-gets-uncle-sam-to-pay-its-students-bills/?utm_term=.647f6e80f9b2

quote:

Georgetown Law students who use LRAP use loans from Grad PLUS — the federal government's student loan program for grad students — to fund the entire cost of going to law school. That includes not only tuition and fees but living expenses like housing and food. Grad PLUS has no upper limit on the amount you can borrow, so there isn't any constraint on how much you take out.

Once out of school, the students enroll in an income-based repayment program, in which, if they're working for a nonprofit, the federal government forgives all loans after 10 years. For that 10-year period, however, the borrower has to pay a share of their income. But under LRAP, Georgetown commits to covering all of those payments.

Upon first glance, it looks like what's happening is that Georgetown is paying for part of the cost of law school and the federal government is forgiving the rest. But as Jason Delisle and Alex Holt at the New America Foundation discovered, Georgetown's cleverer than that. The tuition paid by new students — tuition they're often paying with federal loans — includes the cost of covering the previous students' loan payments.

So Georgetown is ultimately paying its share with money its students borrow from the federal government. The feds are paying back themselves. At no step in the process does Georgetown actually have to pay anything. The feds are picking up the entire bill.

Summary: they jacked up tuition even more so Georgetown could cover "their part" of the payments. Bonus video with the article is them encouraging students to make sure their AGI doesn't go up because otherwise they may have to pay back students loans :ohdear:

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

You know this started under Obama, right?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/20/...swer-is-no.html

Yes we can't

Yeah after looking more into this, it seems the issue is more specific than I had previously thought. It's a huge risk though. We'll see what happens this October after the articles come out about rich doctors and lawyers getting 300k+ forgiven.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

potatoducks posted:

Yeah after looking more into this, it seems the issue is more specific than I had previously thought. It's a huge risk though. We'll see what happens this October after the articles come out about rich doctors and lawyers getting 300k+ forgiven.

Yeah, when Brookings writes an article saying PSLF may not have been the best idea then you have to wonder. They point out cases like how a nurse who works at a non-profit hospital gets their loans forgiven but someone working at a for-profit hospital isn't illegible, and yes that's the guideline for whether you're covered by PSLF or not.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Well when you have law schools using loan forgiveness to get even more money from the Feds then maybe it needed a bit of reform:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/08/09/how-georgetown-law-gets-uncle-sam-to-pay-its-students-bills/?utm_term=.647f6e80f9b2

Summary: they jacked up tuition even more so Georgetown could cover "their part" of the payments. Bonus video with the article is them encouraging students to make sure their AGI doesn't go up because otherwise they may have to pay back students loans :ohdear:

Well Georgetown once funded the school via slave auctions, so funding the school through a student loan Ponzi scheme suits them well

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's going to be great when everyone gets worked up about doctors and lawyers getting loans forgiven and we slash PSLF, and end up screwing a bunch of teachers/librarians/social workers.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

If your parents loved you or wanted you to succeed they would have coughed up the money for private school, Timmy

My parents were too busy trying to move to America. One step at a time, man.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Disallowed; we don't need immigrants at our fancy school. Oh unless you are from western Europe and then you may get a pass.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

My coworker was telling me today that he had a huge chunk of his loans forgiven this past year by the government only to incur a 20000 tax bill because apparently the loan forgiveness was counted as income.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

El Mero Mero posted:

My coworker was telling me today that he had a huge chunk of his loans forgiven this past year by the government only to incur a 20000 tax bill because apparently the loan forgiveness was counted as income.

Yes it is, and surprises many people.

Complaining about taxes on a huge debt forgiveness is still kind of looking a gift horse in the mouth, though.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

It's OK, somebody will surely introduce income tax forgiveness, and in another 20 years the tax will be forgiven, and then the tax bill will only be 5000 or so.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

El Mero Mero posted:

It is, but not if you do PSLF + IBR.

Ugh, I knew it was too good to be true.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Residency Evil posted:

It is, but not if you do PSLF + IBR.

Ugh, I knew it was too good to be true.

Paying a few thousand instead of twenty thousand is indeed a terrible deal. What depths has our society fallen to.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

After I settled my private student loan debts I got that income thing. I then was able to declare as insolvent and presto no more tax bill. Default on student loans BWM. Settling for half the original principal and taking a 7 year hit on my credit when I'm not even considering buying a house. GWM.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I hope none of you are depending on student loan forgiveness by working for the Government. It turns out only half a million people are supposed to be eligible.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/30/...k&ICID=ref_fark

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

My parents were too busy trying to move to America. One step at a time, man.

Oh don't worry, I'm sure in the very near future immigrants won't even have to worry about trying to move to America anymore. Think of all the time we could save them by just not letting anyone in at all!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Devian666 posted:

I hope none of you are depending on student loan forgiveness by working for the Government. It turns out only half a million people are supposed to be eligible.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/30/...k&ICID=ref_fark

Thank you for posting a link to the article we were literally just discussing on this page. Now let's do the rest:

Poster 1: "This is all Trump's fault!"
Poster 2: "But the government pulling back these promises started under Obama."
Poster 1: "Obama is just like Trump only socially liberal!"

There we are done.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Regarding the pension + working thing discussed previously, this happens a ton in FedGov as well. Retire in the mid 50s, go straight back to work as an AD, getting paid some really good wages for hourly work whilst keeping pension and SS bridge.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Oh don't worry, I'm sure in the very near future immigrants won't even have to worry about trying to move to America anymore. Think of all the time we could save them by just not letting anyone in at all!

Yeah, it's terrible. I would trade every anti-immigration waste of flesh for a random immigrant sight unseen. We already know what a bunch of low skill opioid addicts on disability have to offer. The trade is all upside.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

potatoducks posted:

The answer is nothing. The terms of this forgiveness are written into the promissory notes, and those of us in academic medicine are about as clearly defined as qualifying as possible, sorry to rain on your parade.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Posted not once but twice! Believe me when I say those of us who are eligible for this have been watching it closely. I'm sure there will be plenty of hoops to jump through. If you have your paperwork scheduled appropriately there's not even a tax liability on the money forgiven. Much ado about nothing.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The answer is nothing. The terms of this forgiveness are written into the promissory notes, and those of us in academic medicine are about as clearly defined as qualifying as possible, sorry to rain on your parade.

lol I'm totally against this. Do you even read the posts?

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Well, no. The exact wording from the MPN states:

"This program provides for the cancellation of the remaining balance due on eligible Direct Loan Program loans after the borrower has made 120 payments (after October 1, 2007) on those Direct Loans under certain repayment plans while the borrower is employed in
certain public service jobs."

The text is clearly vague about what 'certain public service jobs' are. What the dept of ed is saying by their most recent action is that they can define that however they choose. It'll depend on how a judge interprets it when it goes to trial. So the outcome of this is far from certain.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

potatoducks posted:

lol I'm totally against this. Do you even read the posts?

Yeah, and I saw where you didn't comprehend what had happened before tearing in here to hammer "post." I'm going to reiterate that the loans we signed starting in 2008 contain language that states the terms and conditions for this forgiveness quite specifically and if the government decides to retroactively nullify said contract it they're still going to be on the hook for the balance of loan debt when they get hammered in a class action suit for breach. Since you're not a party to that contract on either side, a lawyer or a judge, I'm going to feel comfortable disregarding your opinion on this matter.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

The DOE and every student loan servicer has counseled thousands of borrowers about the scope of organizations which should qualify and, in fact you can see quite clearly on their webpage that they've indicated to those of us who've borrowed that our employment qualifies.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service

Even if they change this text or their policy, such a change would certainly be seen as retroactive, and there would be significant financial damages to be claimed by those of us who've "qualified."

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Here's the relevant policy, again from the Department of Education:

Qualifying employment for the PSLF Program is not about the specific job that you do for your employer. Rather, it is about who your employer is. Employment with the following types of organizations qualifies for PSLF:

- Government organizations at any level (federal, state, local, or tribal)
- Not-for-profit organizations that are tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code
- Other types of not-for-profit organizations that provide certain types of qualifying public services
- Serving in a full-time AmeriCorps or Peace Corps position also counts as qualifying employment for the PSLF Program.

The following types of employers do not qualify for PSLF:

- Labor unions
- Partisan political organizations
- For-profit organizations
- Non-profit organizations that are not tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and that do not provide a qualifying service

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Will they abolish PSLF moving forward? Almost certainly! It's a crazy use of money and it's a system primed for exploitation. But to try to do so retroactively would expose them to huge amounts of liability from an entire generation of student borrowers for breach.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Ok, so to be fair, the organization referenced in the article (Vietnam Veterans of America) is actually a 501(c)19 organization, so in theory the dept of ed is correct about it not qualifying. So hopefully you're right. It'll be a few months before we know for sure though.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Chu020 posted:

Ok, so to be fair, the organization referenced in the article (Vietnam Veterans of America) is actually a 501(c)19 organization, so in theory the dept of ed is correct about it not qualifying. So hopefully you're right. It'll be a few months before we know for sure though.

I really don't understand how you feel that there's any ambiguity about this whatsoever, considering what the DoE states so openly in their supplemental materials on this contract.

Contract: do X, and we will provide Y. X described in appendix A.
Appendix A: terms 1, 2 or 3.
Party Borrower: fulfills term 1.
Counter Party: lol we decided to retroactively alter Appendix A, will not be providing Y.

Judge: breach
Damages: Y

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I really don't understand how you feel that there's any ambiguity about this whatsoever, considering what the DoE states so openly in their supplemental materials on this contract.

Contract: do X, and we will provide Y. X described in appendix A.
Appendix A: terms 1, 2 or 3.
Party Borrower: fulfills term 1.
Counter Party: lol we decided to retroactively alter Appendix A, will not be providing Y.

Judge: breach
Damages: Y

You seem really worked up about this, and to be clear I think you are probably right, but you also really underestimate the capacity of the government to do arbitrary or unfair things, the complexity of suing the federal government, and the public rancor that will likely exist when there is finally numerical data to show that doctors are far and away the top beneficiaries of PSLF

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah, and I saw where you didn't comprehend what had happened before tearing in here to hammer "post." I'm going to reiterate that the loans we signed starting in 2008 contain language that states the terms and conditions for this forgiveness quite specifically and if the government decides to retroactively nullify said contract it they're still going to be on the hook for the balance of loan debt when they get hammered in a class action suit for breach. Since you're not a party to that contract on either side, a lawyer or a judge, I'm going to feel comfortable disregarding your opinion on this matter.

Yes I wrong and admitted it like two posts later. Big fat deal. But I certainly would not be for it so exactly whose parade are you raining upon?

I hope you're right and I think you probably are. No need to post 5 essays in 30 minutes.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

You seem really worked up about this, and to be clear I think you are probably right, but you also really underestimate the capacity of the government to do arbitrary or unfair things, the complexity of suing the federal government, and the public rancor that will likely exist when there is finally numerical data to show that doctors are far and away the top beneficiaries of PSLF

lol because it's hundreds of thousands of dollars I was promised, and it would represent the single most significant financial hardship I would be likely to encounter as an individual?

potatoducks posted:

Yes I wrong and admitted it like two posts later. Big fat deal. But I certainly would not be for it so exactly whose parade are you raining upon?

I hope you're right and I think you probably are. No need to post 5 essays in 30 minutes.

:rolleyes:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Will they abolish PSLF moving forward? Almost certainly! It's a crazy use of money and it's a system primed for exploitation. But to try to do so retroactively would expose them to huge amounts of liability from an entire generation of student borrowers for breach.

If everything was as open from the gov that you say, then I would lay blame on employers who thought they counted and told potential job seekers this.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

you sure do trust the government and the legal system not to gently caress you over.

must be nice.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I know that when I think of the current government, I think 'reasonable and considered and not likely to implement hate-gently caress policy that ends in a lovely lawsuit'.

Just because the law is clear doesn't prevent it being a complete clown show when this comes due.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Contracts matter. At the least the ones between White people.

And it doesn't matter what the Feds say as they've been learning when it comes to the Judiciary.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

KingSlime posted:

I guess what I'm saying is UT Austin is a loving joke. I think they stand on their "reputation" too much, which has allowed their graduate programs to get complacent and target students Who Should Not Be Pursuing A Graduate Degree.

Idk what your job is where you go to school for people or whatever, but my wife and I both got masters from UT austin and it worked out really well, me in computer engineering and her an MBA. Both programs paid for themselves after the first year after graduation.

I have no idea about the journalism school, though.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

C.H.O.M.E posted:

Idk what your job is where you go to school for people or whatever, but my wife and I both got masters from UT austin and it worked out really well, me in computer engineering and her an MBA. Both programs paid for themselves after the first year after graduation.

I have no idea about the journalism school, though.

Just to add to this ... it also depends on how people apply the skills they picked up in grad school, what projects they worked on, their interviewing skills, how in touch their are with the field ... . If people go to grad school just to land a well-paying job, the odds may not be in their favor. But if they are actually interested in the field, even a mediocre program can produce a successful professional, assuming that that student is willing to put in extra work where the program is lacking (by attending conferences, doing internships, reading relevant literature, ...).

I know people who went to schools with a mediocre reputation and landed an amazing (well-paying and fun) job. I also know people who went to good schools only to drop out with 6 months left in their phd work because they realized that they just "didn't give a flying gently caress about any of this bullshit."

Leaving an excellent EE Phd program with 6 months left to completion, to go work at an animal shelter: BWM?

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/62x4n8/on_paper_it_looks_like_we_are_well_off_but_we/

These are always fun. 170k income in Kentucky, some monster student debt but almost zero details about monthly spending until asked directly (why does that always slip their minds). Digging into the comments we learn that OP can't remember how many dogs they have, it's 3 not 2, and grooming alone is $80 per dog every 2 months. That's $1,440 on dog haircuts and baths, out of the annual $2,400 grooming and dog food budget...

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 2, 2017

• Locked thread