Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah that'll be great fun, let's recompose our armies every single time a general dies. Fire/shock has a purpose and works really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm mostly okay with the current combat system, but I do wish it had more transparency. I can never really tell what the dice rolls are actually doing beyond "bigger number = more damage." It would be cool if I could hover over a regiment in the battle interface and instead of giving me its pips, which tell me nothing even remotely useful, it would tell me how much damage that regiment is dealing and why. It would be much more useful for figuring out better army compositions.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm mostly okay with the current combat system, but I do wish it had more transparency. I can never really tell what the dice rolls are actually doing beyond "bigger number = more damage." It would be cool if I could hover over a regiment in the battle interface and instead of giving me its pips, which tell me nothing even remotely useful, it would tell me how much damage that regiment is dealing and why. It would be much more useful for figuring out better army compositions.

This would be pretty good, yeah, though it'd be nice to get a similar losses breakdown as well.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm still confused by pips and offense vs. defense and shock/fire vs. morale. Like I get what they generally mean but it's really hard to tell what is more effective in a given situation.

What I've read is that generally defense pips are better than offense when you are outnumbered, since they give you more staying power (especially if you can fight on terrain that limits combat width). While offense is better than defense if you outnumber the opponent, because the extra damage will combine with flanking and tear up the enemy army faster... but then don't those just cancel each other out? And then how does morale figure into it all? Is it a totally separate damage or is it a multiplier of the raw damage dealt?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
So I'm getting better at PUs but I am not sure how succession war mechanics work. I had more prestige and development than France and I had the marriage with Savoy yet I had to contest the succession. 600k dead and 4K in debt for loving Savpy. I want to nail down mechanics so I can be the defender and not have to debase 15 times for Savoy in the future.

Also all PU games are the way to go.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I'm still confused by pips and offense vs. defense and shock/fire vs. morale. Like I get what they generally mean but it's really hard to tell what is more effective in a given situation.

What I've read is that generally defense pips are better than offense when you are outnumbered, since they give you more staying power (especially if you can fight on terrain that limits combat width). While offense is better than defense if you outnumber the opponent, because the extra damage will combine with flanking and tear up the enemy army faster... but then don't those just cancel each other out? And then how does morale figure into it all? Is it a totally separate damage or is it a multiplier of the raw damage dealt?

Yes, for shock and fire offense pips increase casualties dealt and defensive pips decrease casualties incurred, so they cancel each other out if you're fighting exactly the same army composition. Really what matters is your unit's tech level, since later-tech units get more pips; actually choosing which unit to use is a pretty marginal decision and the general advice that you posted seems right (more defense if you're small and need to conserve men, more offense if you're able to out-flank your opponents).

Morale doesn't effect casualties inflicted or incurred. Each day of battle regiments lose some amount of morale simply for being in a battle plus some additional morale as a function of casualties inflicted. Morale pips modify how much morale damage is dealt/received. When one side's Morale is reduced to 0 the battle is lost for them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chump Farts posted:

So I'm getting better at PUs but I am not sure how succession war mechanics work. I had more prestige and development than France and I had the marriage with Savoy yet I had to contest the succession. 600k dead and 4K in debt for loving Savpy. I want to nail down mechanics so I can be the defender and not have to debase 15 times for Savoy in the future.

Also all PU games are the way to go.

The wiki says that the senior partner is chosen by development, taking local autonomy into account. I'm not sure if there's a page in-game that shows that value, just total development

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Tendronai posted:

Who likes achievements?

code:
I'll graze my horse here.. And here… - As a Horde, own over 200 provinces producing grain.

Lithuania is in for some hurt.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:psyduck:

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Gotta dominate that end node.

Lucious
Apr 1, 2017

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g1Cf3PpiPs

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

What happens when the Thirty Years War starts if two members of the same league are currently at war with each other? In my game, the Bohemian emperor is at war with Burgundy, and Burgundy is in the Catholic League. Would Burgundy not get a call to arms? Or would their war end in a forced truce? Their box is ticked in the war declaration screen.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

everyone's favorite boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6J-NM3R-BI

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Over at MapGoons, this happened:

It was great but everyone has become a burning husk of death. Good times.

If you want to join the next EUIV multiplayer clusterfuck, signups are over here. Don't be afraid if you haven't played before! You will quickly learn that we are all, in fact, terrible.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This guy's cool, he did a video on Republics and why they're still amazing + talked about Milan and their Ambrosian Republic for a bit

Granted if you're in Europe it's probably better to play the Game of Thrones but that's always felt finnicky and hard to do well

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

What happens when the Thirty Years War starts if two members of the same league are currently at war with each other? In my game, the Bohemian emperor is at war with Burgundy, and Burgundy is in the Catholic League. Would Burgundy not get a call to arms? Or would their war end in a forced truce? Their box is ticked in the war declaration screen.

Welp, I committed science, and the answer is that even if the war declaration screen shows that they will be called to war, they will not. The fact that Burgundy was at war with the emperor meant that they did not get called into the league war.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's really good knowing that is_in_capital_area doesn't actually mean that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This is the only game where I'll simply refuse to start a new game within 2 weeks of an upcoming expansion

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm not sure how to feel about having to repeat my Coptic AQ game again since I've already fulfilled the requirements of the new achievement but Hordes are fun and I love them White Sheep so I guess I know what I'm doing soon.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the aq achievement....

Sunni Faith Group

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you're planning on playing a european power, the expansion doesn't offer a whole lot. The convenience features like the diplomatic macros would be really nice but otherwise, I feel like I'm not going to get a much better european experience post-expansion anyway.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

If you're planning on playing a european power, the expansion doesn't offer a whole lot. The convenience features like the diplomatic macros would be really nice but otherwise, I feel like I'm not going to get a much better european experience post-expansion anyway.

Pretty sure most of the Age-specific challenges are pretty Euro centric.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
I decided to finish up a couple of 'big' achievements while I still know all the systems fairly well. I had never got the Spain HRE or HRE formation ones, so I banged those out with the own all Institutions. More difficult was African Power; my first attempt cratered when my diplo-feeding strategy attracted a complete jagoff Portugal. They supported two mega-vassals' independence and shoved a 50 stack down my meager defenses. I converted to Christianity for you, you jerks! On my second try, I stayed Fetishist, which worked really well. I should try those religions more often. I took my last provinces from a Catholic, colonial Granada, reducing them to an OPM in Tahiti and Bora Bora. Not a bad place to end.

One thing I appreciated in both games is how much of a dick the Ottomans can be when they try. They make a much better end boss than other nations, I feel.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Eej posted:

Pretty sure most of the Age-specific challenges are pretty Euro centric.

This, diplomat automation, the improved diplomat interface, the new forced breach mechanic, the new state interface, and state edicts all seem pretty valuable no matter where you're playing. But I'm also not sure which of these features are free

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

QuarkJets posted:

This, diplomat automation, the improved diplomat interface, the new forced breach mechanic, the new state interface, and state edicts all seem pretty valuable no matter where you're playing. But I'm also not sure which of these features are free

Just the new state interface.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I wonder if forming Mughals still requires you to be loving huge (600 dev), I would really hope that they are going to appear more often but it wasn't mentioned in the patch notes at all. Sometimes small things get missed.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
In my last Kongo game, a GP Mughals naturally formed. Baluchistan had gotten big. I wouldn't expect the dev requirement to go down, since it's an amazing nation to form, both in idea groups and claims, and it's a natural empire.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm trying to wrap a Spain game before Divine Wind Mandate of Heaven hits and I feel like I have the requirements for Imperio español, but I cant tell because it is worded funny. The Achievement description says "As Spain have Mexico, Panama, Havana, Cuzco in colonial Nations under you." but the wiki says "Own Mexico, Panama, Havana, and Cuzco as colonial nations.". I am the supreme colonial power but I dont have all of the Mexico region or all of the Peru region - is that what I need to do?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mughals is going to be a bit more difficult with the state limit so heavily reduced. You already constantly butted into the state cap as them even before the reduction.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
My main gripe with the State system was that it really screwed over minors that start in unfortunate spots where your growth is limited by arbitrary state lines on the map even if you're only like 7 provinces big. With the changes to state limits for big nations it actually does a better job of how hard it was to effectively administrate large amounts of territory which is cool with me.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

thatdarnedbob posted:

In my last Kongo game, a GP Mughals naturally formed. Baluchistan had gotten big. I wouldn't expect the dev requirement to go down, since it's an amazing nation to form, both in idea groups and claims, and it's a natural empire.

I particularly just don't like that they appear in the history file owning too few provinces (in terms of dev) to actually enact the decision :argh:

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
It kinda sucks in general for low dev areas where you get a lot less value per state.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Are we renaming the thread for the new DLC? Because I'm cool with just stealing "Little Trouble in Big China" from the stream.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Even if it's historically accurate it doesn't exactly make for compelling gameplay

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm trying to wrap a Spain game before Divine Wind Mandate of Heaven hits and I feel like I have the requirements for Imperio español, but I cant tell because it is worded funny. The Achievement description says "As Spain have Mexico, Panama, Havana, Cuzco in colonial Nations under you." but the wiki says "Own Mexico, Panama, Havana, and Cuzco as colonial nations.". I am the supreme colonial power but I dont have all of the Mexico region or all of the Peru region - is that what I need to do?

I did this a couple games ago- I believe it wants those specific provinces, in particular.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Azuren posted:

I did this a couple games ago- I believe it wants those specific provinces, in particular.
Ahh gotchya, I guess I can see that. I dont have those specific provinces (is there a province called Mexico?) so that will be my next goal.

Along with vassalizing 4 electors in one war. If I am Spain and dont have a land connection to HRE lands, will I still be able to add my lands to the HRE for absurd amounts of IA? I have never really played a serious HRE game so this is all foreign to me.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Ahh gotchya, I guess I can see that. I dont have those specific provinces (is there a province called Mexico?) so that will be my next goal.

Along with vassalizing 4 electors in one war. If I am Spain and dont have a land connection to HRE lands, will I still be able to add my lands to the HRE for absurd amounts of IA? I have never really played a serious HRE game so this is all foreign to me.

If you have a province in the same seazone as a HRE province, you should be able to add as well.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MrBling posted:

If you have a province in the same seazone as a HRE province, you should be able to add as well.
Shiiiiit, I dont yet, I dont think. I'm at work and will have to look at the map when I get home. I think I could tunnel through Savoy - I own the southern half of France and the southern half of Italy, up through Urbino.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Arumba is streaming MoH on twitch right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Quick question; how low do you guys usually slide the army maintenance back during peacetime? I tend to avoid doing it (does it harm your Army Tradition?) sicne it has made some random rebellions pop up on my poorly-fed stacks and wipe them out in the past.

I've been watching some videos of playthroughs and wow, do I play conservatively. Seems the right way to play is to take serial loans, fill your roster with mercs from day 1 and just steamroll crap, swallowing countries whole despite having claim to only a single province! I tend to freak out if my income is ever negative and never, EVER take loans.

• Locked thread