Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I hope Episode IX keeps the "ROT[x]" pattern going. "Rebalancing of the Force", maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ungulateman posted:

I hope Episode IX keeps the "ROT[x]" pattern going. "Rebalancing of the Force", maybe?

Rehabilitation of the Junkie

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
North Korea redeemed....

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

He's so hot right now.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

His real name is Han Morgan and as a child he adopted the moniker of his hero, Sir Francis Solo.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ungulateman posted:

Romance of the Three....Forces?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Has it been laid out what the franchise progression is going to be? Do we know episode IX is going to be a definitive ending for the current cast of character's story, or is there a chance they're just going to keep on coming? If IX is a distinctive ending, are they going to start up a new storyline that gets roman numerals?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Resurrection of the Solo

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I think I just got the best 'meta' joke in all of Star Wars

Vader's Star Destroyer is called the Executor, because George Lucas was the Executive Producer on it (as well as ROTJ)

Kylo Ren's Star Destroyer is the Finalizer because Disney finalizes everything in TFA

fcuk

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

ungulateman posted:

I think I just got the best 'meta' joke in all of Star Wars

Vader's Star Destroyer is called the Executor, because George Lucas was the Executive Producer on it (as well as ROTJ)

Kylo Ren's Star Destroyer is the Finalizer because Disney finalizes everything in TFA

fcuk

I think the bolded is a stretch.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Hammerstein posted:

North Korea redeemed....

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Breaking news, Gary Barlow is going to be in The Last Jedi.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

i hope he's the lead singer of a jizz-wailing band, and there's a group of disgruntled cantina aliens complaining about him popularising their music

jizz

wailing

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
In which Scarif was accidentally named by a Starbucks barista.

https://twitter.com/garywhitta/status/845382401857482752

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

You would also change your name if you were born Han Sleazebaggano.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Han Bagwa-Jettster

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hans dad was a Corellian irredentionist and named him the equivalent of Pol Pot and Han wanted out of that life and chaning his name was a good first step.

Staw Wars History X

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Han Solo, captain of the Millennium Falcon, was killed when his underling Dicc Wompman accidentally dropped an arc welder into a pool of Rhydonium fuel, blasting his commanding officer apart.

Dicc then took advantage of the situation he found himself in, stealing Han's Imperial identification card and using it to go home.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/bizekes/status/848163233940852736

Kinda :smith:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
He saw the whiny teenage quality.

AotC is the best Star War.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hayden Christensen is Canadian royalty.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
If you ever doubt that Lucas knew exactly what he was doing in AOTC:

"Lucas" posted:

"It wasn't that the writing of it was so difficult....I'd done a bit of writing a love story in American Graffiti, so writing wasn't the challenge. The challenge was that I wanted to tell the love story in a style that was extremely old-fashioned, and, frankly, I didn't know if I was going to be able to pull it off. In many ways, this was much more like a movie from the 1930's than any of the others had been, with a slightly over-the-top-poetic style- and they just don't do that in movies anymore. I was very happy with the way it turned out in the script and in the performances, but I knew a lot of people might not buy it. A lot of guys were going to see this movie, and most guys think that flowery, poetic kind of talk is stupid- "Come on, give me a break". More sophisticated, cynical types also don't buy that stuff. So I didn't know if people would laugh at it and throw things at the screen, or if they would accept it".

Whether or not it "worked", it was very intentional.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 2, 2017

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Old fashioned romance is creepy as hell from our modern perspective.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

Even modern examples of romance age out pretty quickly. For instance, Han Solo creeping on Princess Leia in ESB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMk0-pZfx5Q

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 2, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SHISHKABOB posted:

One of the interesting things about AotC old school romance is that it reverses the age dynamic, 30s-40s romance films are filled with 18 year old girls in relationships with older men but almost never the latter (All That Heaven Allows rode the gender flip as its whole marketing gimmick, albeit in the 50s). If George had gone whole hog and included a typical period love scene it would almost certainly play as a rape or borderline rape now.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

One of the interesting things about AotC old school romance is that it reverses the age dynamic, 30s-40s romance films are filled with 18 year old girls in relationships with older men but almost never the latter (All That Heaven Allows rode the gender flip as its whole marketing gimmick, albeit in the 50s). If George had gone whole hog and included a typical period love scene it would almost certainly play as a rape or borderline rape now.

And we could say it was "problematic."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

sassassin posted:

He saw the whiny teenage quality.

AotC is the best Star War.

It's the loving worst movie of all time hth.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

It's the loving worst movie of all time hth.

Is this sarcasm or nerd hyperbole?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate that loving movie.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It wasn't even the worst movie of 2002.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This is the first thing I've seen in here that's made me not regret coming in here. Thank you.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Dear George, p. sure talking about sand isn't flowery poetic language, and maybe you just suck at believable character dialogue.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Dear George, p. sure talking about sand isn't flowery poetic language, and maybe you just suck at believable character dialogue.

He was not attempting naturalism. That is, in fact, actually the entire point of the passage you seem to be responding to.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

sticklefifer posted:

By definition, Anakin's style of speech is "flowery."

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

AOTC still sucks and it used to be my least favorite but I think episode 1 has aged way worse then it has.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Bongo Bill posted:

He was not attempting naturalism. That is, in fact, actually the entire point of the passage you seem to be responding to.

There's a difference between structured , poetic language and the absolute garbage rear end teenage drek Lucas wrote. 'not naturalism' is far from it's problem.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ammanas posted:

There's a difference between structured , poetic language and the absolute garbage rear end teenage drek Lucas wrote. 'not naturalism' is far from it's problem.

The dialog is not the way it is because he attempted naturalism and failed, but because he attempted a different style. It is, for that reason, weird to talk about being bad at writing naturalistic dialog in this context.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
AOTC is still the best Star Wars. Because of poo poo like this.

UmOk posted:

The best is when Anakin's Horny Bull

rams into Padme's Big White Pussy Cat

and then she ejaculates off the top of a giant penis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

So is anybody else planning to marathon all the films before the new one comes out?

• Locked thread