Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Smart of the Brits to start pasting the northern fords with indirect fire, that could seriously chew up the Germans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Look at this guy effectively commanding. That's not hilarious.

Loel posted:

Things Ill want to have before going along with this:

Maps and phases, including timetables.
How are we stopping super brigade in the north?
How are we not getting blown up by arty in the south?
How many units are we sending over the river?
What are their objectives?
Why is the all-in better then feint-officer?
How are we going to get all the commands to change their orders in time?
Do we need to ask for an extension?
More importantly, can we get one?

E: oh man Bacarruda has picked one of the best available routes. Shame it hasn't occurred to him to detour into La Dand.

Bacarruda posted:

The Long Ride. I hug the edge of the map, cut the Chemins wires, and then locate Tallis Sud. Then, with the hillside/escarpment always on my right, I move north and cut wires whenever I find them. I hole up in the Ferme Chatte and then wait for the next night to try and ride home.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 31, 2017

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Look at this guy effectively commanding. That's not hilarious.

E: oh man Bacarruda has picked one of the best available routes. Shame it hasn't occurred to him to detour into La Dand.

they're sending an entire division on an end around? that won't get hosed up somewhere along the way. :/

at least they've figured out how to use cavalry correctly.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Baccaruda is just the commander of an extinct cavalry division I think. But apparently they are planning to throw a bunch of men that way instead.

Also to throw their one brigade in the forest into a headlong night attack without waiting for reinforcements, having underestimated the number of Germans in the forest by about half :v:

Mooddr
Mar 5, 2017
I guess those Cav Units on the Long Ride will just disappear into the Night. They have no Landmarks to navigate by, so they will very probably get lost. Since they are hugging the Map Border, maybe they will ride right off of it.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Trin said you can't roll off the map, it bounces you back with an unspecified movement penalty.

So yeah, I'd say 2:1 odds they never make it past the river. And about a 5% chance they wake up in Effyaders City.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Also, I've just run a count. The Germans have lost 22 chits to routing. That's a brigade and a half.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's 0200 on Day 3, and the BEF's done its bit to even that statistic out some.

British
Germans

And now, Observ-O-Vision.

Turn 41 overview:

Turn 43 overview:

Turn 45 overview:

Turn 47 Effyaders closeup:

Turn 48 overview:

End of update overview:

The obvious question is, how do the Germans react to having their wires cut? Can they react to having their wires cut, even if they want to? I reckon there's actually a non-zero chance of the BEF trying bring 20th Bde round to ambush the German guns, and instead running smack into the German 88th in Taillis Douche...

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

How many more reinforcements are in the pipeline? It looks to me like if the Germans can survive the night with their guns intact and get the phones fixed, they can punch holes with the artillery deathstar - holes the Brits might not be able to fill if the tap gets turned off.

Unless I'm WAY overestimating how good arty is, especially against entrenched targets. Which is very possible.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Up to one slow-arriving division each, plus replacements for brigades that get a kicking and don't die. It's one thing to have a shitload of artillery, but it's quite another to have good enough spotting to be able to use it effectively...

vvv I'm pretty sure that all their ordered fire so far has hit absolutely nothing; the British commanders have been very good at moving people about (and lucky with the dice to an extent, but they've often been changing orders in relatively calm circumstances) so that the ordered barrage lands where they were last turn. I'd be reporting to the BEF when they were getting hit by indirect fire if it ever happened, but it doesn't, so I don't... vvv

edit again: see Pater Meus here, it's this kind of thinking that you need to do effective ordered fire, and also have a look at the precise patterns that lenoon was ordering, he was trying to anticipate which spaces the enemy would need to occupy in order to do certain things.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 1, 2017

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The brits seem to have used their artillery better so far, or maybe you just point out when it's effective more often: For all the German guns, it doesn't read like they've had a big effect yet, while the british guns have noticeably contributed.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Oh man the Germans trying to rumble just what cut their lines is great.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

professor_curly posted:

[Sacrificing an entrenched brigade in an uncoordinated night time assault on a superior force] gained us valuable intel and probably disrupted them long enough for us to actually get something going for this defense, so I think it was worthwhile.

What's Trin's line from the WWI blog about not wanting to critically analyze decisions because that might mean admitting that a lot of people died for nothing?

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 1, 2017

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Recon by dying seems to be a WWI thing since it happened in Grey Hunter's LP, too. :v:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

It looks like the Brits are planning to just shell the everloving piss out of the forest. Good on them.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So how many turns did the 86th or whatever number are those remnants that were supposed to go south to block such a manoeuvre stand around doing nothing?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Given general positioning/casualties on the field and the general plans/orders folks have for now o their sides, who do folks think is in the better tactical position? Entente or Central Powers, and what do folks think in general of their progress so far and general orientationon objectives?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
The Germans could break through anywhere they chose, that much is a fact. But unless they can restore their phones quickly (and stop those brigades that I'm fairly sure still have orders to move on?), they won't be able to capitalise on that.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The Germans can break through, and if everything goes perfectly, even roll up the line and march way west. BUT they have to fix their phones, and survive the artillery that the Brits are blanketing the forest with first.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Green Intern posted:

It looks like the Brits are planning to just shell the everloving piss out of the forest. Good on them.

Yeah artillery + forest means the Germans are probably gonna have a bad time.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It seems like the British have overall more men on the field right now, but the way all the German forces are focused in the forest might favor them in the battle there and do some work to even things out.

It's surprising that the night plan to cut the phone lines worked perfectly, but if an engineer can fix it, the Germans just so happen to have a man in Stethoscope right now to put on the job.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

This is an American Civil War-level of "both sides maneuvering and could flank each other and win but it's going to be a clusterfuck when the artillery hits"

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The Brits could conceivably just stay ahead of any engineers fixing the phone lines.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
Yeah, I'm surprised they're not just riding all the way through La Dand, cutting wires along the way.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh man those new British artillery orders are gonna HURT if they land even just a portion of the shots

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Does forest affect artillery in any way?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Pontius Pilate posted:

Does forest affect artillery in any way?

Historically, getting shelled in a forest was even worse than in open ground. Many shells would hit the trees above you, turning them into impromptu airbursts and adding yet more shrapnel in the form of wood splinters. Dunno whether that's modelled in this game, though. :shrug:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You can't shoot guns if the guns are in the forest because the shells would all bonk into something before getting where they were supposed to go. There's no effect on damage, things are deadly enough without adding an extra few gently caress yous to forest fighting; you can shoot indirect fire into the forest from outside because it's assumed that your gunners can correct for the trees.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

By the way, why can't artillery fire into towns?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Because the rules say so.

Ahem. They say so because with WW1 field artillery it genuinely does take a long time to demolish even the smallest stone/brick building, which will continue to offer effective and complete cover for months after first being fired on. If you expect to hit anything worth hitting, either you need to target the same building for months, or you need to break out the heavy siege guns. Things like villages dying for France didn't happen overnight; it takes months to reduce a village entirely to rubble and then years to remove the rubble from the map. Even after that, cellars and basements remain useful as dugouts and mortar emplacements.

(If the game lasts, we will see things like Saint Croissant slowly moving from being a town, to being a collection of assorted buildings, to being rubble, to being nothing.)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 2, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bad case of malaise setting in in the German thread:

Trin Tragula posted:

:siren: The adjudication begins...

oystertoadfish posted:

ive got a bad feeling

aphid_licker posted:

It would be funny if we fail all order change attempts and still mulch another brigade somewhere and have to face the possibility that what's holding us back is us giving orders.

But yeah we're dead.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The German thread hasn't passed a morale check since like the first round, malaise is par for the course at this point.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Update up. It's 0800 on Day 3.

British
German

Not much for Observ-O-Vision to show. Here's the important question; are the guns close enough to each other for counter-battery fire?

Here's the Turn 15 overview.

TL;DR is that they both stood off and shelled each other all night; the Germans have now spotted the British 60-pounders and repaired the northern telephone line. There was also a lot of digging going on; a trench line is beginning to emerge. Here's the map with all the units switched off.

Post ITT!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Wow, turns out artillery can really hurt if you get caught sitting still in the open. Though I was actually expecting the Germans to come off even worse, failing the morale check and saving the remainders will probably be real useful in the future. (As long as a unit's brigade command is intact it can get a trickle of reinforcement companies, right?)

Anyways, this is gonna be the day that makes or breaks the battle on both sides. The Germans and the Entente both have potentially game-winning moves, and the next few updates are going to get very hairy indeed. Though the Belgians appearing if the Germans make it to the farms could throw a spanner in the works of any marches on Effyaders. The emergency Belgians, marines, and flooding are all still in play for the Entente, right?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'm not familiar with the ruleset, but it seems that if the Germans can be patient enough to wait for the fresh stethoscope companies to head up to effyaders that they could punch straight through to the trois freres. Perhaps that's overly optimistic though, given the trenches.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

If the Germans can mass their forces and punch hard in the north I think they can really do some damage. At the very least eat all the heavy British guns and roll up some trench lines.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Important: Loel thinks that the front rank of 7th Division guns are in range to hit the German howitzers. Let's see.

Ooooffff. Tight as a gnat's crotchet, but there you are; that front rank can score hits, and they're not getting gun-pits for the howitzers any time soon.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I like that the Germans managed to surprise the British once in the south by sneaking along the map edge, and now they've done it again on the other edge.

Maybe it'll be more successful this time!

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

I like that the Germans managed to surprise the British once in the south by sneaking along the map edge, and now they've done it again on the other edge.

Maybe it'll be more successful this time!

Probably will, considering that the British are planning to leave their trenches (again) at the worst possible time (again). Seems to be the theme of this battle. Dig in somewhere, but then start "shuffling around" the units and get caught out of the trenches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
Oh man , this thread. :shepface:
Glad I'm finally done moving and can actually stay caught up with this thread.

On a different note, what is with everyone and ditching trenches? Is it some sort of aversion to trench warfare, or just MAX SPEED charge obsession due to French lunatics waggling sabres? Regardless it's ruddy brilliant.

• Locked thread