Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

il serpente cosmico posted:

Now I'm imagining the DS2 protagonist spending aeons trying to figure out a solution, eventually realizing that there isn't one, and then taking off the crown and allowing himself to go Hollow. Either that, or another powerful undead comes along, takes his crown and kills him for the lord souls, and links the flame himself.

These games are really depressing. I wonder what FROM will do next.

I wanted a DS2/Aldia tag team fight in the series send-off. Sadly, that didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FauxGateau posted:

You don't need it since you don't get a two-hand damage boost with the paired greatswords. So quality is preferred.

ahahaha I just realized I forgot to put heavy on it. time for more damage

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Well this Ringed city is off to a great start. I fell a million feet and got tag teamed by a spooky dude who grabbed my ankles and another dude who turned into a ghost. What is going on anymore.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Senor P. posted:

A moment ago people were talking about DS2 and DS3...

I thought DS3 was supposed to take place after the first DS, but before the 2nd.....

There are mountains and peaks in DS1 and 3..... while DS2 has oceans....

I don't think so. There are too many references to DS2 in DS3 that would indicate that it's in the past

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Nuebot posted:

Anyway; I've finally finished Ashes of Ariandel and am about to start Ringed City, am level 101. That good or should I spend these souls on something? I've got a lot of souls.

I just finished the DLC on my SL 170 faith person on NG. I farmed Darkmoon Blade on this character and said gently caress it, let's see how loving beefy I can get while ignoring the proscribed meta soul levels. I was invaded a bunch during, and was able to consistently summon and be summoned. Get swole bro.

mastershakeman posted:

paired gs-worth taking to 66 STR or no? I'd been going to that for my 2h fume but I think it's pretty useless for the overpowering GS pair

Yeah I don't think dual wielded weapons benefit from the '2h bonus'.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Senor P. posted:

I thought DS3 was supposed to take place after the first DS, but before the 2nd.....

Actually....I think you'll find that there's loads of mountains......such as the one underneath Iron Keep that magically appears out of nowhere.....

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's been a while. You give esus shards to the maiden right? Do i need to do something to trigger that. I can't seem to give it to her.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Rough Lobster posted:

I just finished the DLC on my SL 170 faith person on NG. I farmed Darkmoon Blade on this character and said gently caress it, let's see how loving beefy I can get while ignoring the proscribed meta soul levels. I was invaded a bunch during, and was able to consistently summon and be summoned. Get swole bro.

I might have to. I'm basically just running around screaming at this point. I was not prepared. I mean I can smash those murkmen real good but why do they exist I don't like them.

Also, this executioner's sword still owns. Freide was a total chump because I just stunlocked her into oblivion.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
If Bloodborne (effectively) removed the ability to ram a pvp match down somebody's throat and practically nobody went looking for other means to pvp in response, could it be a sign that the majority of the population doesn't mind invaders being gone?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

It's been a while. You give esus shards to the maiden right? Do i need to do something to trigger that. I can't seem to give it to her.

Give them to Andre

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Senor P. posted:

DS3 has an ocean, you can see it from the top of Farron Keep, which is apparently coastal? Having a beach level would have been nice, especially compared to another poison molasses swamp, though

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Give them to Andre

Oh yeah. Thanks

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
BBs also the only one in the series where at least some people didn't have free online play. that matters.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Nuebot posted:

Were we playing a different demons souls? The game had great atmosphere and all, but a lot of it was pretty smooth and empty.

there was nothing in demons souls that looked like Baby's First Room slapped down in the modding tools for an elder scrolls game

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Asehujiko posted:

If Bloodborne (effectively) removed the ability to ram a pvp match down somebody's throat and practically nobody went looking for other means to pvp in response, could it be a sign that the majority of the population doesn't mind invaders being gone?

I don't know, pvp was always opt-in in all the souls games except 2. I think Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 3 got it right: if you want a big health bonus and the ability to summon help, you expose yourself to invaders. It gives a nice risk-reward balance, and I don't know why BB decided to shift the formula so heavily.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The BB multiplayer in general is dogshit compared to every other Souls game.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

DS3 has an ocean, you can see it from the top of Farron Keep, which is apparently coastal? Having a beach level would have been nice, especially compared to another poison molasses swamp, though

I'm holding out hope that they may take up a tropical setting for their next project. If they wanted to do something at all different from Souls, making a game in a sunny, tropical setting would be my first guess. You could even do the gruesome horror stuff, with pirate-themed monsters and the like! Either way, I want From Soft's next title to have a bit more color, the Ringed City was a really nice burst of shine in a pretty bleak looking game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I do not like these burping angels the least bit. Also screaming. Why do they scream. I would be 100% okay with this if they didn't make the worst sound in the series non-stop.

Oh cool, they can also curse you without actually filling your curse meter? I hate this. I hate this so much.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 3, 2017

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm holding out hope that they may take up a tropical setting for their next project. If they wanted to do something at all different from Souls, making a game in a sunny, tropical setting would be my first guess. You could even do the gruesome horror stuff, with pirate-themed monsters and the like! Either way, I want From Soft's next title to have a bit more color, the Ringed City was a really nice burst of shine in a pretty bleak looking game.

Oh yes, the Ringed City having some real color was such a nice change of pace from the base game and Ariandel (even if you did have to wade through the Dreg Heap to get to it). Pirate Souls would be an interesting way to go to expand on that, but there a lot of other settings they could try out too.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Nuebot posted:

I do not like these burping angels the least bit. Also screaming. Why do they scream. I would be 100% okay with this if they didn't make the worst sound in the series non-stop.

Oh cool, they can also curse you without actually filling your curse meter? I hate this. I hate this so much.

Those loving bullshit angels have made me temporarily quit the DLC for now. But their curse attack DOES fill your meter before it kills you.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Oh yes, the Ringed City having some real color was such a nice change of pace from the base game and Ariandel (even if you did have to wade through the Dreg Heap to get to it). Pirate Souls would be an interesting way to go to expand on that, but there a lot of other settings they could try out too.

A bombed-out sci-fi setting with lots of neon and maybe a cyberpunk element where you do virtual world stuff could be both colorful and grimy as gently caress. Also, might as well throw in some power armor / mech stuff.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

il serpente cosmico posted:

I've been reflecting on the trilogy a little bit, and I'm trying to figure out the point of DS3 as part of the bigger picture. The world is in a state where the flame has been linked innumerable times, and as a result, the world appears to be wearing out. Cities from different civilizations are converging, time itself seems to be going nuts, and flame-linking has become frequent enough that it's common knowledge and ritualized. But the state of the world doesn't seem to have of a bearing on the cyclic nature of the world. If you let the flame go out, the fire keeper tells you that everything will go dark, but the flames will eventually re-ignite, starting the cycle anew.

So lore-wise, DS1 was all about fatalism, DS2 was about finding your own way and rejecting fatalism, and DS3 is about fatalism, again? Did FROM just want to hammer home the point? It's seems odd after hinting that there may be a way out in DS2.

I took the ending where you rejected linking the fire (betrayal?) took be different than the normal "link the fire, cycle repeats" ending, despite the fact that it implies fire will rise again.

I took it to mean that by choosing not to artificially extend the age of fire, you allow the natural state of the world to, for lack of a better term, "rest", and as a result a natural re-emergence of fire will occur.

The Dark Souls Ages equivalent of eating right and exercising to build muscle (letting the fire fade and reappear) instead of just dosing massive amounts of steroids (burning undead champions for fuel for the Flame). One way is faster and easier, but in the long run much more damaging and unnatural.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Everyone talks about wanting scifi souls. The only way I'd really be excited for that is if its aesthetic was derived from Fantastic Planet.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ineffiable posted:

I really like this sort of discussion from a development standpoint. What in specific were you referring to in how chunks of level design cut out of forest of Giants?

Like, in the original gameplay demonstration you can see them exploring a room that is laid out very much differently from the final game, it's the area down the ladder and then to the left from the bonfire, leading up to the fog gate. Also when showing off Aldia's Keep, they went up the stairs and into a door on the right to a hallway where they showed off the Pharos Lockstone mechanic. In the final game you can't open that door, instead your only path of progression is straight forward, which leads to a similar hallway. To me this suggests that there were more rooms planned for this area, but since they were cut, the developers moved the room they had finished to the top of the stairs, to make it clear to the player where to go. The final version also lacks the blood splatters on the floor from the original, actual environmental storytelling that didn't make the cut. In the final version of this area, an Ogre ambushes you through a door, with absolutely no warning. In the demo version, there were bars on the top of the door through which you can see the Ogre. I can't imagine a change like this being intentional, so most likely when shuffling things around in a rush to re-optimize the entire game, stuff got forgotten or only half-implemented, the Ogre ambush was placed back in (in a different part of the room, notably) but behind a door that didn't have bars on it. The darkness gimmick, which they went out of their way to point out in pre-release info, ended up being almost entirely absent. The rooms where it's' supposed to be present are a bit dark, but you can see perfectly, it's only as dark as turning the lights off in a classroom in the morning.

If you look at a comparison between the demo and the final game, you can see how the differences were much more dramatic than just lighting. All over the place, entire textures and models ended up being reworked dramatically to be more simple and put less strain on the system. This had to be done with just about every single asset they had worked on thus far. It's a ton of work to do midway through development, and keeping that in mind it's easy to see how the game ended up the way it was at release.

When you look at the DLC areas, they are all-around better than the main game in every way. Better visually, better in terms of design and balance, they're just better. I don't think it's just because they got "A-Team" members on board to help out the "B-Team" in making something that was higher-quality, it's more likely because the DLC was developed after the game had already been visually downgraded. They weren't pouring hours upon hours into high-res textures and shaders and dynamic lighting and high polygon counts that would all be scrapped eventually, they were working within the limits of the game's current design and didn't have to rush. In a way, the visual downgrade isn't the problem, it's the fact that the original version existed in the first place. If they hadn't gone overboard with the graphics, they wouldn't have had to rush to fix the game and end up having to slap things together at the last second.

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 3, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

I'd feel bad about using the ringed knight armor, since literally everyone uses it, but gently caress it just looks so drat good

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

...! posted:

Those loving bullshit angels have made me temporarily quit the DLC for now. But their curse attack DOES fill your meter before it kills you.

I'm arguably The Worst player in this thread, but all I do is run from cover to cover. If you don't burden yourself with self-imposed difficulty, YouTube the location of their summoners. Kill the weird grub like summoners and the angels don't respawn.

I managed to shoot one out of the sky with my +5 Millwood greatbow, but they respawn right away, FYI.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
It pisses me off that it counts a match against me if I spawn into a co op pvp arena and my partners don't.

E:

Let me rephrase that.

It pisses me off when I queue for a co-op pvp match and it doesn't spawn my partners in. It's basically an auto loss especially when I queue in solo against 3 guys with the twin greatswords. I don't know why it doesn't check to make sure everyone spawns in before the match starts.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 3, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

...! posted:

I guess mine filled so fast I just didn't see it. I hunted every single one of those assholes down and murdered them. I'm glad they're dead. Super, super glad. Now to go fight a boss?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Minrad posted:

I'd feel bad about using the ringed knight armor, since literally everyone uses it, but gently caress it just looks so drat good

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
My PS4 crashed recently and lost all my saves. After reading some, I guess there is no way to get someone else's saved data?

Then I read, it is possible for someone with a saved back up to drop a ton of souls for me so I can instantly level up high and be able to run through the basic content? I really just want to do the DLC. Could anyone help me out with this?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Do you not have ps+ and therefore cloud saves?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Demon Prince down on first go. I kind of expected it to be difficult, fire and lasers have kicked my rear end before. Instead it was a hilarious cavalcade of visceral attack after visceral attack.

EDIT: I don't know words.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 3, 2017

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Nuebot posted:

Demon Prince down on first go. I kind of expected it to be difficult, fire and lasers have kicked my rear end before. Instead it was a hilarious cavalcade of visceral attack after visceral attack.

EDIT: I don't know words.

I'm having the opposite experience. I loving hate this boss, it combines the two things I hate the most in Souls bosses, 2 on 1 and a new boss emerging from the dead body of the first part. I've read people in this thread and watched guides and I cannot do the first phase consistently enough to have enough life left to beat the boss. So far I've failed in this boss fight more times than any other boss in DS3 and maybe bloodborne too.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

What is this fresh hell now. Ghosts, why ghosts. And dragon, why did a dragon just shove his face into my world and set everything on fire. Then a giant ghostly mace wrecked my poo poo while I was kneecapping this fool. I think he's dead, but I'm definitely dead. I hope he doesn't respawn.

EDIT: Was that dragon a fever dream?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Internet Kraken posted:

Everyone talks about wanting scifi souls. The only way I'd really be excited for that is if its aesthetic was derived from Fantastic Planet.

Yeah either that or, for me, some sort of Yuggoth Lovecraft sci-fi poo poo.

Nuebot posted:

What is this fresh hell now. Ghosts, why ghosts. And dragon, why did a dragon just shove his face into my world and set everything on fire. Then a giant ghostly mace wrecked my poo poo while I was kneecapping this fool. I think he's dead, but I'm definitely dead. I hope he doesn't respawn.

:getin:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was kind of annoyed that I had to start over to not play the dlc in NG+ but started really enjoying it again right off the bat. I guess it's been long enough.

People can argue all day about what souls game is the best, but the art direction in 3 is the best they have done by a long shot. I feel like that should be a given at least. God it's a fun game to look at.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

We already have The Surge coming out this summer(?) that is looking like sci-fi Souls with a sort of Alien/Doom aesthetic. You wear power armored rigs and it seems to take place on a mining colony.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Listerine posted:

I'm having the opposite experience. I loving hate this boss, it combines the two things I hate the most in Souls bosses, 2 on 1 and a new boss emerging from the dead body of the first part. I've read people in this thread and watched guides and I cannot do the first phase consistently enough to have enough life left to beat the boss. So far I've failed in this boss fight more times than any other boss in DS3 and maybe bloodborne too.

The trick to phase 1 is that both bosses can be in one of two different modes: flaming or burned out. When they're flaming (indicated by them roaring and lighting on fire), they're highly aggressive and will use their repeated claw swipes (which can be dodged by diving underneath their legs). When they're burnt out (indicated by them collapsing to the ground and losing the molten glow they normally have), they'll make much weaker attacks. Just run around in a circle dodging poo poo until the currently flaming one becomes burnt out, then go in for hits, then run around again repeating this. It's boring but it works.

veni veni veni posted:

People can argue all day about what souls game is the best, but the art direction in 3 is the best they have done by a long shot. I feel like that should be a given at least. God it's a fun game to look at.

I disagree principally because they went way too heavily into the desaturated palette and combined this with a weirdly drab lighting profile. There's only one place in the base game (Untended Graves) that uses strong lighting (or lack thereof) in the same way that Anor Londo or Darkroot Grove does. Almost every location has the same level of white ambient light, which only serves to highlight the grays and browns that make up much of the game's color scheme. Irithyll (though not the dungeon) stand out, as does Ringed City, but the other locations aren't especially memorable.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 3, 2017

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Annath posted:

I took the ending where you rejected linking the fire (betrayal?) took be different than the normal "link the fire, cycle repeats" ending, despite the fact that it implies fire will rise again.

I took it to mean that by choosing not to artificially extend the age of fire, you allow the natural state of the world to, for lack of a better term, "rest", and as a result a natural re-emergence of fire will occur.

The Dark Souls Ages equivalent of eating right and exercising to build muscle (letting the fire fade and reappear) instead of just dosing massive amounts of steroids (burning undead champions for fuel for the Flame). One way is faster and easier, but in the long run much more damaging and unnatural.

Thinking on it a bit more, the usurping the fire ending may indeed be a way out of the cycle, but it's impossible to know for sure, and the question will likely never be answered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Wow. I've actually had the exact same thought before. Totally agree. At the very least I'd be really disappointed if it was generic sci fi. It would have to be weird to some degree.